• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When I play the Metroid Prime intro I realize how much video games have lost theirway

Durden77

Last night I made this thread with only two sentences in the OP, and I was indeed drunk GAFfing. HARDCORE. I am sorry lords of GAF. However being sober now, I did have a point, and I really would like to try and get it across better if allowed. A lot of people in the thread seemed like they would've like that too, so here it goes...

Metroid Prime's intro, (and the entire game for that matter), very clearly shows you what video games are capable of as a medium. What they should be, and what they are. How they can be expressed in a way that simply can't be replicated in other forms and why that's important.

When starting at Frigate Orpheon, you immediately have a choice. You can walk forward and figure out how this video game is played, or you can just look. Look around you. Look at this center and ponder what the fuck has gone wrong inside. Look at the debris in space and realize that you are extremely far from home. Scan a few things on your own time, and learn a little bit more on why those switches are so red and need to be shot. Instantaneously, Prime shows you that video games are about you in a world, and how you interact with that world. Nothing tells you where you should go or what you should do, and nothing funnels you in a specific direction besides the path itself.

The path itself even, besides a few corridors, intentionally strays from being too cramped. At the very beginning, all you really need to do is go forward, but the paths are large, expansive. Massive chunks of metal in space. You can wander to the edge of one and look out into it, or continue straight without caring.

Once you get inside, once again the objective is to go forward, but the rooms open into massive laboratories. Stories do not stop and force you to listen, they are being told right in front of you. Space Pirates struggling to cling on to their last bit of life but still shooting at you, showcasing their deep desire to destroy you at all cost as you put them down (or not). Elevators are slanted and not working properly. The remains of specimens that you've never seen lie dead in massive containers.

You keep progressing, and eventually a small scene is shown showing some small creatures running into a tunnel. The game has just explained the morphball funtion and hidden paths in to you, an once you get inside and realize there is a save point in there, the game has also shown you why hidden paths are so important in this game and should always be looked for. The game just told you all of that, without really telling you anything. Something that if done correctly, only video games can do.

Then you find the Parasite Queen, and a battle ensues. The fight consists of the Queen screaming energy beams at you from inside of a giant test tube. The tube has barriers, and will block some of your shots if timed incorrectly. Missiles and charge shots are the most effective here, but you only have limited amounts of missiles. Thus the game shows you how important it is to use your missiles wisely, as one or two misplaced shots (especially to a new player that has not gotten used to the charge shot functions yet), could leave you in an uphill battle.

After the Parisite Queen is defeated, you must evacuate immediately. The plant is going to explode, and while the game gives you plenty of time to escape, the balls to the fucking wall music and events that take place which I'm about to go into, will always shoot that intense sense of urgency into your viens. You begin to run, an everything has changed. Devices that were once working now are not. Electricity is shooting out of the walls. Certain devices now need alternate forms of power. Once again, the game is telling you story in ways that only video games can, and showing you that the Parasite Queen was being used as a type of power source.

You continue to run, and you see a group of Space Pirates all putting everything they've got into firing at another parasite. You realize while these guys are scum bags and will still kill you any chance they get, in that moment your enemy is the same, and there is slight bit of almost compassion you feel as the parasite's chamber explodes and takes them with it. But then you see another Space Pirate walking at you, and you know what you have to do. Without thinking for an instant, you put him down and press forward.

Then, Samus looks up, and there he is. Ridley. He expands his wings and with a mighty as fuck roar, he flies upwards leaving destruction in his wake. (Also, for fun, compare Metroid Other M's scene of Samus meeting Ridley to Metroid Prime's directly. Well, maybe not fun, more like nausea.) You know that thing is fucking crazy and probably needs to be stopped, even if you've never played a Metroid game before. You use your grappling hook to pass over the destruction he has caused in a clever and seemless way of showing you every tool that Samus is going to need in this fight, and go to the elevator to escape when....BAM MY BACK. MY FUCKING BACK. ALL MY POWERS ARE GONE BECAUSE MY FUCKING BACK HURTS SO MUCH.

Yup, ablitease. And while the way your powers are removed is pretty silly, the sense of powerlessness is extra effective in this game. You have just witnessed some horrific and monstrous shit. You are playing a game unlike pretty much anything you've ever played before. And now, you don't even have a charge shot. What are you going to possibly do? What if Ridley is waiting for you the second you get out of the elevator? Prime doesn't just show you abilities and take them away, it brings with it a true sense of dread and helplessness as well. And it earns all of that reaction from the player because of how well this entire intro has been designed as a fucking video game.

The elevator makes it, you book it back to your ship, and you make it. And you know you have an extremely tough fight ahead of you.

Metroid Prime is godlike. Absolutely godlike. I usually play it to completion twice a year, and it's all because this incredible stuff that envelops the intro also envelops the entire game. Not quite as concentrated, but it does. It uses nearly every advantage of being a video game possible at that time, and just refuses to be anything else. And why would it? If used correctly, video games are possibly the most exciting form of entertainment.

I look at most games today, I just feel like they don't strive for those same time of goals. When playing it again last night, I was just thinking games like Destiny. It's endless fucking chatter and bullshit exposition. It's enemies that are always the same way everytime. It's world that, while wonderful to look at, doesn't strive for much more than being a really cool place. Hell, even the Space Pirates that are at death's door at the beginning of Prime are leagues above anythimg Destiny tries to do with their enemies and world even after 100 hours.

I feel that games have not taken advantage of the opportunity that games like Prime has gave them in the right ways or the optimal ways. Only very few have. And it's depressing.

Hopefully that's a little better.

yophlow

Banned
Even though I've never completed MP, I have played huge amount of it a few times. I guess it never grabbed me enough to keep me going (I think I couldn't beat the Omega Pirate boss and gave up one time) it's clear as day - this game is truly something special, and absolutely magical in its atmosphere and presentation. There's nothing else like it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
These Metroid Prime threads are a laugh riot, especially today. The games were alright. Better than expected. Don't hold up too well, but that's life.

Kideo games haven't lost their way though. A lot of people just grew up.

Com_Raven

I feel that games have not taken advantage of the opportunity that games like Prime has gave them in the right ways or the optimal ways. Only very few have. And it's depressing.

Hopefully that's a little better.

Has it ever occurred to you that other games might not want to/ don't try to copy Metroid? You mention Destiny, but I would be willing to bet money that "hey, let's copy Metroid Prime" was not very high on their list of objectives when making the game.

It's great that you love Metroid that much, but don't presume that everybody thinks that it is the pinnacle of video games, and tries to emulate it :)

It also makes me wonder what other games you played before- for example, did you play Half-Life before you played Metroid Prime?

Xav

I think video games lost their way during the "HD" era. The games got too expensive in terms of budget so the business side of things became more prevalent.

PS2/GC/Xbox was the last generation where...

Customer gives publisher money. Publisher gives customer a complete working title.

Toxi

Banned
Is it Metroid Prime day?

What is is with Metroid Prime today? This is like the fifth thread this evening lol
Seriously, we haven't even had any Metroid news recently and yet everyone's reminiscing about Metroid Prime.
These Metroid Prime threads are a laugh riot, especially today. The games were alright. Better than expected. Don't hold up too well, but that's life.
LOL what is this nonsense

leroidys

I agree OP. Two gens ago we got things like MP, SotC, Ico that provided the blueprint of a promising future of videogames as a storytelling medium. Unfortunately, we almost totally went off the rails last gen with studios trying to beat Hollywood at being garbage.

It's basically a meme at this point, but the Souls games really do get it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
the dream lives

qMDovs.gif

oti

Banned
All those Metroid Prime threads are stealth marketing by Nintendo ninjas to ultimately announce Metroid Prime Universe for Wii U and NX.

#believe

I agree OP. Two gens ago we got things like MP, SotC, Ico that provided the blueprint for a promising future of videogames. Unfortunately, we almost totally went off the rails last gen with studios trying to beat Hollywood at being garbage.

It's basically a meme at this point, but the Souls games really do get it.
Get what?

Sapiens

One of the best games I played last year, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, was "freemium."

You know what makes gaming great? I mean, one of those things? It's the medium's ability to surprise you with new and interesting gameplay and concepts in interactivity.

Wallowing in what you thought was great where you were 12 or 13 tends to make you prevent yourself from enjoying new things.

Also, Metroid Prime, IMO, is deeply overrated. Bought it day one, game froze on me a few times, lost interest.

This is some fucking biased tripe. Metroid Prime is masterful, no doubt, but so is Destiny in many ways (that Metroid is not).

Bungie carries the torch of great classic action gaming for me. I want to press buttons to do awesome things. And I realize I'm super fucking biased as well.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Kideo games haven't lost their way though. A lot of people just grew up.

I really dont see how growing up would make you not appreciate Metroid Prime.

It's a highlight of the medium. It delivers so much narrative with no cutscenes and dialogue.

The art design might be the best ever.
From the sunken frigate to overgrown ruins to dug in Pirates facilities, the history of the world is instantly tangible.

Dr. Buni

All those Metroid Prime threads are stealth marketing by Nintendo ninjas to ultimately announce Metroid Prime Universe for Wii U and NX.

#believe
As long as it isn't Retro's game, fine by me.

Anyways, Metroid Prime is great, but I have played many better games or at least on its level since its release.

Com_Raven

Storytelling through art direction and gameplay. Did you read the OP?

Or, rather than saying there is only one way to "get" storytelling, we could be happy that there is a huge diversity in games being created these days.

Cause honestly, saying there is only one right way to do something doesn't really make for a diverse industry.

Toxi

Banned
Also, Metroid Prime, IMO, is deeply overrated. Bought it day one, game froze on me a few times, lost interest.
That sounds like just something wrong with your copy of the game. Freezing isn't a common problem with Metroid Prime.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Or, rather than saying there is only one way to "get" storytelling, we could be happy that there is a huge diversity in games being created these days.

Cause honestly, saying there is only one right way to do something doesn't really make for a diverse industry.

Sure there's more than one way. Some play to the strengths of the medium, so dont.

Narrative through gameplay as allegory is only something games can do. Same with environmental exploration, isolation, immersion.

Cutscenes and dialogue can be done in movies.

Text can be done in books.

Com_Raven

Bioshock, Gone Home, Undertale and Brothers are all games off the top of head that do this.

I still can't believe that some people here are acting like MP invented these things and ignore the gorillas in the room that are Half-Life and System Shock. Am I to assume that they are mostly Nintendo fans who were not used to first-person games before?

Toxi

Banned
I still can't believe that some people here are acting like MP invented these things and ignore the gorillas in the room that are Half-Life and System Shock. Am I to assume that they are mostly Nintendo fans who were not used to first-person games before?
As someone who played Half-Life and System Shock 2, Half-Life isn't even a patch on Prime in terms of story-telling and world design.

System Shock 2 is fantastic however, and deserves a lot more credit than it gets.

One of the best games I played last year, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, was "freemium."

You know what makes gaming great? I mean, one of those things? It's the medium's ability to surprise you with new and interesting gameplay and concepts in interactivity.

Wallowing in what you thought was great where you were 12 or 13 tends to make you prevent yourself from enjoying new things.

Yo how can you say a game is overrated if you've never even played it?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I still can't believe that some people here are acting like MP invented these things and ignore the gorilla in the room that is Half-Life. Am I to assume that they are mostly Nintendo fans who were not used to first-person games before?

If you had said half life 2 i would agree,but half like 1 is lighter in this respect. Metroid prime came out 2 years before half life 2.

And if you think half life did it enough, it came out 4 years after super Metroid.

And lol you thinking this is like some sort of fanboy thing... the art design and even gameplay is not really dependent on the perspective, and if it was fanboys they probably played goldeneye.

To me it seems like the opposite. You just hatin.
System Shock 2 already did that stuff years before Prime.

I SPECIFICALLY mentioned system shock on my post! Having played all three games in order of release when they came out, i think my point is fair.

Also,i have definitely noticed that no everyone likes the prime games. But to then pass your opinion as fact is silly when it is CLEAR that you are in the minority. Finding the most objective metric for quality would be something like metacritic consensus. Prime is quite high up there so AT THE VERY LEAST it was something special when it came out. If others have done it better since well then it was a big influence and ahead of its time.

Com_Raven

As someone who played Half-Life and System Shock 2, Half-Life isn't even a patch on Prime in terms of story-telling and world design.

System Shock 2 is fantastic however, and deserves a lot more credit than it gets.

I don't agree with you on that, but quality is beside my point- the Op is acting as if these concepts were some huge, previously unheard of revelation when in fact there had been several other games (like HL and SS2) who had done it before.

Onivulk

Banned
There's a lot of reasons to love Metroid Prime but, I feel like the intro isn't anything too special. But I have never really liked intros. Just put me into the game. My best memory of Prime is getting out of the ship and seeing the rain splash off the visor accompanied by the killer OST.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't agree with you on that, but quality is beside my point- the Op is acting as if these concepts were some huge, previously unheard of revelation when in fact there had been several other games (like HL and SS2) who had done it before.

Having played all of those games when they came out Metroid was clearly on another level in regards to narrative through design.

Nothing is "invented" from scratch. Metroid raised the bar. Go read reviews from when it came out.

There's a lot of reasons to love Metroid Prime but, I feel like the intro isn't anything too special. But I have never really liked intros. Just put me into the game. My best memory of Prime is getting out of the ship and seeing the rain splash off the visor accompanied by the killer OST.

I agree. It was definitely a decent gameplay tutorial which the op detailed. In regards to narrative it was not that special.

I even remembered being initially underwhelmed by the visuals.

ChaosXVI

I absolutely love Metroid Prime...but God damn we must have a hivemind, because I've been planning a big thread on Retro for the past few days and just couldn't motivate myself to start it until today...and then there are like 5 other ones today, that I discovered right after I posted mine.

So you know...hint hint Nintendo.

leroidys

Where did I say this?

Red

Games are better now than ever. I think back on Metroid Prime more fondly than maybe any other game but Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time. But there is so much good stuff out there today. Don't focus on the AAA space, which has never really been uniformly great. If you focus on the games with the largest budgets, you are focusing on games which attempt to attract the largest audience. Risk rises with cost. There are a few greats but there are mostly copycats or iterative projects when you only dip into big budget titles. Look at smaller games. Check out Kickstarter success stories. There are more consistently great games than ever now. But they are traveling different avenues.

Arklite

Prime's storytelling reminded me a lot of the original Unreal. Not to say it's not good, but its world is vague and largely a mystery that needs to be solved by stopping and reading, as in Unreal. Not a bad thing, but Half Life doesn't have this issue and organically tells its story while setting up its world and scenario in a much faster and potent manner. Metroid Prime is a great metroid game, but it doesn't outdo HL's influence in storytelling. Prime's visor UI was a great visual idea, though.

Bakkus

I think video games lost their way during the "HD" era. The games got too expensive in terms of budget so the business side of things became more prevalent.

PS2/GC/Xbox was the last generation where...

Customer gives publisher money. Publisher gives customer a complete working title.

I mostly agree with this. I don't think anyone would take the likes of Konami, Capcom, SEGA, Squeenix and Namco of today or last gen compared to the DC/PS2/GC/XBOX era.

Fortunately there does still exist Eastern devlopers who consistently delievers goodness like Nintendo (and most of their subsidiaries), Platinum, Atlus, Falcom, plus some more I may be forgetting.

Durden77

I didn't mean for this thread to come off as Prime being the end all be all of this type of thing. That's not exactly what I mean. And I also don't mean that every game has to be just like Prime. But I do feel like it is a type of pinnacle, and more games should strive to do what it did. There are many games that do strive for this stuff and succeed, but there are far too many that fail with the opportunity of just being a video game and what you can do with that. Prime took advantage of that in nearly everyway possible, and that was well over a decade ago.

Top Bottom