• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the longest you ever been stuck in traffic and why?

Can't say I can remember fully but I do remember driving through Atlanta city twice on the way to and from a trip to Florida. I even turned the car off at one point.

Also, Imagine how people feel who get held up by "protesters". Some of them have families in their cars as well... Imagine people in need of care...

Recently, Antifa/BLM came to my city and "protested" in the friggin middle of the 4 lane highway. Blocked and backed up traffic for 7 miles. They even held up an ambulance that was trying to get to the hospital. When the police showed up and gave them the opportunity to move their cars to the side of the road and continue to march on the side of the road, they refused and started to yell that the police where racist. Racist for trying to unblock a 4 lane highway and eliminate the danger they where creating... So three of them get arrested and now they are supposedly rallying their troops to come and shut the city down. Yeah. That ain't happening. People around here won't stand for that crap.

Last edited:
Try it in PHX in August with no AC. You will have a good time im sure of it

For you it was a horrendous experience,
tenor.gif

2-3 hours is a normal commute home on the 405 on any given day

#Phonepunk#

Banned
When I was on tour once and we tried to leave NYC after staying there for a few days. I think we were in traffic for 2 1/2 hours, most of that in and around the Lincoln Tunnel.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
About two hours. Bad wreck on a two lane road coming back from the country - no way around it. I had to wait for the police and a tow truck to arrive, and then for them to do their thing.

I’ve lived in NoVa my whole life. You basically can’t go anywhere without sitting in traffic. 3-4 hours I believe it was. A tanker exploded on 95 South near the occoquan bridge back in 2008. Poor guy died.

Nymphae

Banned
I would move away from any place that required frequent multi hour delays on the roads, I've got shit to do and driving/sitting in a car isn't fun. Longest I've ever even been in a car is like 2 hours, can't even remember the longest I've been stuck in traffic because I don't go anywhere busy. Maybe approaching half hour but probably not even that.

Somewhere between 7 to 8 hours on a motorway in London, in 2011 I think. It was my (ex) partners birthday where I was treating her for a weekend away. We were staying just outside of the city.

As we were heading into London on the day of her Birthday, an accident happened a few miles ahead of us, which was around 11:30 in the morning. We became what turned into a 20+ mile tail back where nobody moved for hours. We got talking to to an older couple stuck behind us, who were heading to a friends with a home-made cake, which they let us have, so we ate that at the side of the motorway.

It wasn't until after 7pm that cars starting moving, what a shit birthday that turned out to be.

Last edited:

paparazzo

9 or 10 hour drive to Austin for what’s normally a 3 hour route; we were leaving town due to hurricane Rita. Apparently that was one of the shorter drives to evacuate, too. I got to watch movies and sleep the whole time, so it wasn’t all bad.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Lived in Jinhae for four years and went to school in Pusan (Busan now I guess) which was about an hour long bus ride. Jinhae is pretty famous for its' cherry blossom festival. During that festival week, it turned those afternoon bus rides anywhere from four to six hours.

lachesis

Around 6 hours on the west side highway in NYC going home... (and it's only 17 mile drive) ... something like 2 years ago? It snowed a little bit in late fall, and there was a big commotion. Normally it takes me about 45 min in usual traffic around that time. Normal jams, usually takes me about hour and half... but 6 hour was pretty tough.

Some of my co-workers told me that it took 8 hours to get home for them that day.

Echelon

Atlanta on our way to Disney. I was too young to give a shit about why we were stuck, but we were at a complete standstill for over an hour in the middle of a highway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That power grid blackout in I think 2003 took a 45 - 60 minute commute home into 3 hrs.

But comparing to the people posting above, that was nothing.

It wasn't the highways that took forever. I remember being on it and it crept at s snails pace no different than a huge rain or winter storm. It took forever due to normal streets as stoplights were blank. Every intersection took forever.

Last edited:
I've had my fair share of stuck on the freeway stories with living in LA. usually one to two hours to go from West LA to East, which would be a 30 minutes drive if traffic is smooth. but I've also had some crazy ones while on the road.

had one back in... 2013 or 2014, going from LA to Vegas. right when I passed Barstow, traffic grinded to a halt and we just stopped on the freeway... for 4 hours. later when it finally get moving, we saw that a few miles up there was an accident with a pickup truck went into oncoming traffic from the other side of freeway and clipped into a tour bus. the whole driver corner of the tour bus was crushed in and the pickup itself was totalled and burnt to charcoal.

there was another time when I was in Yellowstone National Park and we got blocked by a big herd of bison. the drive should only taken 15~20 minutes, but instead it took over an hour.

and finally I was also caught in a blizzard out in Wyoming once. all roads to where I was going were closed and I ended up having to stay in a Red Cross shelter (it's actually a highschool in this little town that got opened to people in that situation) for the night. was definitely an interesting experience.

Aesius

Two experiences stand out to me.

In college I was working an internship and a snow storm was barreling towards the city. I lived in the suburbs about 45 minutes away (with no traffic) and my boss/manager wouldn't let me leave to beat the storm. So I left just as it hit and got stuck at the same red light for 2 hours because people kept blocking the intersection. Eventually traffic in the city cleared a bit but I didn't want to brave the interstate yet. So I found a cafe and hunkered down for hours, checking the weather and road reports every hour or so, before finally getting on the road around midnight. It was a wild scene--there was no traffic but there were also wrecked and abandoned cars everywhere. The sky was also this bizarre red color that I've never seen before at night. Roads were still snowy and icy so I drove home going about 30 mph. Took me about 2 hours to get home driving through this apocalyptic wasteland.

Another was driving from my parents' house to my apartment in the next state over. It's normally a 5-hour drive. I was about an hour into the drive when I mapped it to check traffic and noticed that Google Maps was saying I was still 5 hours from my apartment. Another 30 minutes passed and suddenly I was 5.5 hours from my apartment! Then I got an alert saying there was a 2-hour delay due to an accident. That 2-hour delay ended up being a 3-hour delay. By the time I got through it I was absolutely starving, so I stopped to get food. By the time I got back on the interstate, ANOTHER wreck had happened on the same interstate up ahead and I was stuck in ANOTHER 2-hour traffic jam. It was an absolutely hellish experience.

notseqi

Two hours due to an accident at the Gotthard tunnel in Switzerland. Accident in the tunnel which runs for 17km.

Susurrus

Hmm....a few.

I drove in Tokyo traffic during rush hour a couple times. That wasn't fun.

I've gotten stuck in German construction traffic for hours. Also shitty.

I think the most frustrating and long traffic I've sat in was traffic backed up from Innsbruck to Trento. The cause of traffic? A toll booth. Was so pissed. To cap it off the two credit card lanes on the left were empty since Europeans refuse to use card at tolls.

I currently live in DC...enough said (though it hasn't been too cray since COVID tbh).

Last edited:

raduque

8 hours in traffic in San Antonio in 95 degree heat with no AC and a stick shift back in 2005ish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom