• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will you do if gaming goes all digital?

What will you do if gaming goes all digital?

• Total voters

Myths

Digital is my preference. I could see Special or Collector’s edition becoming a habit for physical releases.

Animagic

Banned
I’ll just buy less games overall unless they are heavily discounted

I prioritize games I’m really into or excited about as physical but they could just as easily sell collectors physical editions instead or something.

Last edited:
All digital is fine. If you play games on PC then you've likely been using Steam or GOG for years now. Physical is nice of course but you still have day one patches and additional DLC to download regardless of platform, so...

Fbh

I'd continue gaming. My enjoyment of games goes beyond the format in which they are delivered.

I would, however, probably buy way less games at launch and generally wait for sales and price drops. Digital games just aren't worth as much as physical ones to me. You loose a lot like the ability to trade them, resell them and the entire used market. And on everything except GOG ownership tends to work more like a long term rental than actual ownership which simply isn't worth as much to me.

I'd also give up on Nintendo unless they started pricing stuff like everyone else.

Last edited:

scalman

Thats how im going for last 6 or so yrs anyway. Never will buy another disc game or other media no matter. For me console should have smaller digital version as well and cheaper ones. That one for me. Maybe even portable.

I don't understand anyone who says they would not buy new games, or that they would stop playing games (not sure if there are those in here, but we've had similar discussions before and I've seen that answer. You would stop a hobby that you love just because you can't hold it in your hand anymore? If that's is the answer then you love gaming for the wrong reasons.

For me, it doesn't change really. The only physical games I buy are Atlus and Ryu Ga Gotoku games.

i've been all digital for all of the PS4/ONE generation. I don't understand what the big deal is. You're asking a question that, I don't think, will actually ever happen. Remember when vinyl was suppose to die? yea, shit didn't happen. It's still around. As someone who is all digital, do I recognize the value of physical copies, like special editions and collectors editions? hell yea. As someone who is all digital, would I buy a special edition physical copy? of course I would. I just buy all digital for the convenience of it.

Siri

Banned
The last physical copy of a game I bought was Alpha Protocol for the PC. After that it was all Steam.

On a gaming enthusiast forum, I'm probably in a minority here since this hobby is not my everything. I won't continue gaming unconditionally. I can drop it anytime if I feel no longer satisfied with the offer the industry is giving me. I have lots of other stuff to do, I don't get bored without games. Music on the other hand is a different thing for me. I'd be really pissed if they stopped making Vinyl.

I’ll most likely go retro. I do not want to trust an all digital era especially with all the despicable shenanigans going on in the industry. Digital pricing as I said before is a joke especially on consoles and I don’t trust these companies to be fair with pricing and to look out for the consumer’s best interest. Keeping 5 year old, always online, broken/glitchy games at full price will probably be our future with mandatory DRM, overpriced DLC, predatory practices and obligatory season passes. Yeah, sign me up.

Last edited:

Old Retro

They said music and comic books would be only digital, but vinyl and physical comics are still around. So are newspapers. If games go 100% digital, I'll have no problems walking away from gaming.

Gravemind

I'll gladly accept it. I haven't bought a physical game yet this entire generation, and probably never will again. I dont really see the point in buying a physical copy besides nostalgia purposes, or because of collecting.

The pros of digital copies vastly outweight those of physical copies for me personally. There is no reason why owning a physical copy would ever appeal to me.

I dont really understand the people that say they will "leave gaming" if physical copies are no longer available. Does owning a physical disk that sits on a shelf seriously mean more than the experience of playing the game? Really? When you're playing the game, does it seriously matter if it's being played on a CD?

Very odd.

Last edited:

-YFC-

I wouldn't stop gaming and I would be forced to adapt. I'm already into retro games but I do play a lot of modern titles, and being a PC gamer, well, we're all kinda already buy stuff digitally on steam.

Already all digital from ps4 release day.

I do have some blue rays (7 maybe), I got blue ray when they are really cheap (cheaper than digital)

Idk but every time I check prices the digital copies are cheaper, that’s the main reason I don’t buy physical anymore.

Also day one pre download.

Jadsey

Digital is also better for the environment.

It is by far the superior format.

Physical will be gone soon.

Virex

Banned
No way in 2018 digital sales were 83% ... that can't be right can it?
That list OP posted is bullshit. That list is majority mostly PC. In 2018 only 43% of PS4 games were bought digital. Also OP's link is total bullshit as well. The site wants you to pay to view the source of their information. OP most likely just searched "console physical vs digital" and posted the first site that popped up in his search engine. Pretty lazily done

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I will stop buying new games. But with the rise of limited run phyiscal game makers, I do not see phyiscal distribution to end soon. I am farily certain as well, that the 83% number is inflated by phone games.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Nothing will change since I'm all digital since the 360 days. Not on the PS brand though as I almost bought all games for the PS3 still physical and ditched the brand after that gen.

This makes me laugh too. I'm in the UK and work full time so no way in hell I am remotely interested in being sat there playing a game at midnight when it unlocks on the UK store.

Who would play at midnight?

Go back from work and play.
No way for me finish work at 8, 9 pm run to a store to buy a game and back home, that’s if I make it in time...

Also I don’t plan to take a train in the weekend just to go buy a game . So pre download and play after work is completely awesome for me .

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nothing, like 99% of games are digital in my library, don't have space for that junk of plastic.

Matt_Fox

I'm a bit of a game hoarder myself, I have... a lot. But I can see the way the wind is blowing.

My gaming PC which I bought not too long ago, doesn't have a disc drive at all.

Physical game discs are going the way of vinyl, VHS, audio tapes, DVDs, and CDs. They may hang on into the 2030s and beyond - if the market is there for them - as a niche collectors thing for groovy dudes to keep buying with little statuettes or exclusive art cards that type of thing, but they'll likely only contain packaging and a fake disc along with the license for a digital version.

It's a boiling frog, and it's already happening. Those bravado-filled guys on here saying they'll quit gaming, will all stay put as the industry heats up the pan and moves inexorably towards a digital future.

Pantz

Both! Basically already all digital going forward. Still buying physical retro games too. I got the old consoles for the games not backwards compatibility with the new ones. Plus emulation keeps everything honest in the end.

ROMhack

Likely not buy as many new games, but that's been the case for ages now.

I don't mind buying digital for games less than £20. I won't pay more than that though, there's no value.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Bought 3 physical games this gen because they were bargains and it really feels a pain in the ass to having to wake up to switch the freakin disc

ROMhack

Also, Steam/GOG is a bit of a false equivalence. Console stores are a problem because there's no competition and therefore the price of digital is usually very high.

If you're like me, 99% of your Steam/GOG library will have been bought at ridiculously cheap rates (for example, the last game I bought full price on Steam was INSIDE in 2016).

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Who would play at midnight?

Go back from work and play.
No way for me finish work at 8, 9 pm run to a store to buy a game and back home, that’s if I make it in time...

Also I don’t plan to take a train in the weekend just to go buy a game . So pre download and play after work is completely awesome for me .

Probs mis-read the day one download comment as I have to start playing it as soon as its released. Understood I may have got that wrong now.

Graciaus

All my games are digital on pc. Much cheaper and easier to manage. Would never go back to physical media.

But if I used consoles I don't think all digital would be worth it. Still cheaper for physical disks most of the time. I would wait for sales on everything to try and boycott.

Last edited:
I would wait for deep sales, like 20$ max, even less if game is really short. Sometimes, it is possible I would buy game at launch if I know I’ll be playing it for months to come like CoD or stuff like Witcher 3, RDR 2.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Already fully digital, I just fail to see the point in physical media apart from collecting them (which I don't do).

jonnyXx

I'd have no problem with going all digital since I buy most games digital already anyway. I like the convenience of not having to switch disks when playing different games. Basically digital suits my lazy ass better.

Stay mostly physical because in 20 years down the line when the Digital Store is taken offline and the games can't be redownloaded, you will see loads of people trying to buy a physical version of said de-listed game and the poor sods will have to pay 10x the Price from those of us smart enough to keep a physical library as they are probably desperate. :LOL:

I buy digital only when it is super cheap and don't feel that I lose out much on it being lost. I think my entire Digital Library is 10x less the cost of my physical games. The allure of Digital has a few pros and many cons so you have to take into account if you really want to buy a license over buying it to own and sell on.

Gaming Communities practically live on selling and buying games from one another and digital doesn't provide this sadly.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
95% of my games are physical.

to go full digital these would have to happen:

1) games on launch for 9.90 - 19.90€ (digital games are kind of worthless vs physical games + much cheaper to distribute, so they should be cheap)

2) if 1) doesn't happen, then they should be sellable/tradeable = I could always buy used digital for 5-10€ or wait until they are on sale

IMO people whom pay full price for digital games are either bit stupid or just rich so they don't care. Kind of like driving with taxi to everywhere instead of owning a car, when taxi would cost same/more than owning+using a car, but being much worse for timetables.

It is just crazy to pay full price for digital, when you could get superior physical release to collect or sell after finishing it, or trade/borrow to friends etc.

I guess digital releases are convenient, but their prices are just too high on launch.

I usually get physical games used if I want them on launch, but paying 30-40€ instead of 69.90€ on launch week, because there are always people selling their copy fast and cheap on launch week. Can't do that with digitals.

Kuranghi

I just realised the last physical PC game I bought was Modern Warfare 2 lol, thats FROM 2009. So I guess I didn't miss physical on PC much since I didn't even notice it had been 10 years already. I didn't put a disc drive in my last two PC builds and I only do that every 4-5 years.

So I guess my answer is: I didn't really notice it happening. I do love physical items but even console games physical presentations are so shit these days, no manual, no extras, nothing to "play with". So digital is basically the exact same for me except I don't need to install it first (installing PS4 games takes longer than downloading them for me).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
While platforms like Steam originate from the early 2000's, digital game sales did not know a significant boost until the seventh generation when Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo joined the digital era by creating digital stores. Initiallly the downloadable software consisted mostly of game add-ons or post-game released DLC. But since storage capacity kept increasing (especially since PS4 and XBOX one ) providing full games digtally became more casual.

Since internal storage capacity on consoles/PC and internet speed keeps increasing while costs are getting lower it is only logical that people are turning more digital.

Here is a timeline-analysis of the last decade based on physical vs digital sale comparison. While physical sales dominated digital sales in a 4 to 1 ratio, in less than 10 years almost 85% of the game sales appear to be all digital. I expect that the current lockdown-situation will boost it even more.

pLvVGEj.png

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

Microsoft even released an all digital consoles where no disc could be inserted or whatsoever. I expect that Microsoft will continue this trend and that Sony and Nintendo perhaps may follow.

However for me, the moment gaming goes all digital is the moment I stop modern gaming and go retro.

For me both digital and physical have their pro's and cons. Feel free to add.

Physical games:

Pro's:
- you own the games you buy.
- Can sell/lend the game once you finished them
- Can be bought cheaper from someone else
- A nice library if you are a collector
- No problems with licensing

Cons:
- Physical media can break or detoriate
- Can be lost/stolen
- Takes up space in house
- Some physical games have a download code to get the game online (so actually digital game with extra steps)

Digital games:

Pro's:
-No loss of disc or damage
-doesn't take space in your home
- library is available anywhere
- Don't have to get up to change discs

Cons:
- You technically don't own the game. You are only licensed to use it.
- Storage cost. Game sizes increase significantly in relation to average hard drive capacity. Hard drives are still limited (for now)
- Cannot be sold to friend or other
- Price is fixed. Unless discounted in store, you cannot buy it cheaper from someone who finished it.
- Digital licensing. Games with soundtracks (ex GTA) or licensed brands (cars in race games) run on annual contracts. If a developer decides to discontinue the contract the licensed product will be removed from the game. E.g music in gta remakes.
- Dependant on internet speed.
- Banned or hacked= library lost.
- Developer decides to take library online= library lost. E.g Nintendo took the wii-shop offline, causing the people who bought games digitally not being able to download the games they bought.

So while I see the advantages of digital gaming, for me the cons outmatch the pro's of an all digital future. Making games only buyable from the developer at fixed prices takes gives too much power to the big companies by taking it away from the costumer.

What are your toughts fellow gaffers. Keep in mind that the section above is merely my own opinion so keep it civil. :)

OP, if you buy a disc you don't technically own the game either. You are buying the exact same license.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
That list OP posted is bullshit. That list is majority mostly PC. In 2018 only 43% of PS4 games were bought digital. Also OP's link is total bullshit as well. The site wants you to pay to view the source of their information. OP most likely just searched "console physical vs digital" and posted the first site that popped up in his search engine. Pretty lazily done
It's including iOS and Android. Which of course are digital only.

Top Bottom