• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will you do if gaming goes all digital?

• Total voters

Eimran

While platforms like Steam originate from the early 2000's, digital game sales did not know a significant boost until the seventh generation when Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo joined the digital era by creating digital stores. Initiallly the downloadable software consisted mostly of game add-ons or post-game released DLC. But since storage capacity kept increasing (especially since PS4 and XBOX one ) providing full games digtally became more casual.

Since internal storage capacity on consoles/PC and internet speed keeps increasing while costs are getting lower it is only logical that people are turning more digital.

Here is a timeline-analysis of the last decade based on physical vs digital sale comparison. While physical sales dominated digital sales in a 4 to 1 ratio, in less than 10 years almost 85% of the game sales appear to be all digital. I expect that the current lockdown-situation will boost it even more.

pLvVGEj.png

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

Microsoft even released an all digital consoles where no disc could be inserted or whatsoever. I expect that Microsoft will continue this trend and that Sony and Nintendo perhaps may follow.

However for me, the moment gaming goes all digital is the moment I stop modern gaming and go retro.

For me both digital and physical have their pro's and cons. Feel free to add.

Physical games:

Pro's:
- you own the games you buy.
- Can sell/lend the game once you finished them
- Can be bought cheaper from someone else
- A nice library if you are a collector
- No problems with licensing

Cons:
- Physical media can break or detoriate
- Can be lost/stolen
- Takes up space in house
- Some physical games have a download code to get the game online (so actually digital game with extra steps)

Digital games:

Pro's:
-No loss of disc or damage
-doesn't take space in your home
- library is available anywhere
- Don't have to get up to change discs

Cons:
- You technically don't own the game. You are only licensed to use it.
- Storage cost. Game sizes increase significantly in relation to average hard drive capacity. Hard drives are still limited (for now)
- Cannot be sold to friend or other
- Price is fixed. Unless discounted in store, you cannot buy it cheaper from someone who finished it.
- Digital licensing. Games with soundtracks (ex GTA) or licensed brands (cars in race games) run on annual contracts. If a developer decides to discontinue the contract the licensed product will be removed from the game. E.g music in gta remakes.
- Dependant on internet speed.
- Banned or hacked= library lost.
- Developer decides to take library online= library lost. E.g Nintendo took the wii-shop offline, causing the people who bought games digitally not being able to download the games they bought.

So while I see the advantages of digital gaming, for me the cons outmatch the pro's of an all digital future. Making games only buyable from the developer at fixed prices takes gives too much power to the big companies by taking it away from the costumer.

What are your toughts fellow gaffers. Keep in mind that the section above is merely my own opinion so keep it civil. :)

I'll buy less new games, only the stuff I absolutely know I'm going to play. And fill my collection with older games. I'm less radical about digital distribution then I was a few months ago, but I still prefer owning physical copies of games.

I was a huge digital holdout beginning of current gen consoles, but a year into it, I had abandoned it. Yeah, I like the physical copy, but the sheer convenience of being able to start any game straight from the XMB, not worrying about discs being damaged...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No way I'll stop gaming and now that Game Pass is a thing I hardly buy games anymore.

For games i will buy like Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk and Valhalla, I will buy a physical copy and I greatly prefer physical games, but I'm not going to miss out on great games if I can only get them digitally although I might just wait for them to come to Game Pass rather than buy them.

lachesis

Well, I will keep my physical copies and collect ones that I like as much as I can on current and retro systems.

I will be buying new games for new experiences, but probably will be rather frugal about it - and wait for the extreme sales few years later.

teezzy

Banned
No way I'll stop gaming and now that Game Pass is a thing I hardly buy games anymore.

For games i will buy like Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk and Valhalla, I will buy a physical copy and I greatly prefer physical games, but I'm not going to miss out on great games if I can only get them digitally although I might just wait for them to come to Game Pass rather than buy them.

Only thing about GamePass that bugs me is how games leave the service, and you have no way of retaining those titles even after downloading them. Both digital and physical titles are ones I have access to indefinitely after purchasing them.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Depends.

If I can still buy on sites like GOG and be *forever* the owner of what I buy, no matter what, I'll keep buying. Probably less and no more CEs, since the digital CEs are an insult to intelligence.

If my games will be tied to some "service" or mandatory launcher that *could* ban me from my games for whatever reason, yeah, no. I have a huge backlog and I love retro, so...

Yup, people who always scream boycott are the first to fold
I've been boycotting steam all my life and never caved.
But you're right, most pathetic gamers just cry and have no backbone.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Physical doesn't really exist anymore. All games have huge day one patches so you really don't gain any benefit outside of being able to sell your license.

Codes 208

2/3 of my current library is already digital (between all of my systems: ps4, xbox one, switch, 3ds and pc)

i think Ill live.

Last edited:
I’ve switched over to digital only this generation. The cheaper us psn store has helped me as well as the regular sales, but i just love all my games readily available and no inserting disks into my machine. I don’t see the point of disk releases anymore, at least on a massive scale as most games have a day one patch and a lot of them are bigger than the size of last generation games. Even games on disk don’t even run off the disk anymore, so why even bother? Digital games do need to be cheaper on day one, but there’s so many advantages of a digital only future like no waiting around on release date for the post or scratched disks. I do miss the days of having tangible cases, but since they removed the games manuals, they just feel redundant.

Birdo

Banned
Already there for me. It's just too convenient.

Preservation of physical doesn't mean anything when most games need a day-one patch to even work.

sublimit

Banned
95% of the physical games that i buy are new. Some on day 1 (sometimes i'll even buy a CE) and some later on when they drop a bit in price.

When they will finally kill physical and there will be only digital and streaming "services" i will NEVER buy a game on day 1 ever again. I will be also buying much much less games. Only what is absolutely essential from companies i trust. And even those i will be buying only when they drop below €20.

And when they will also kill digital and everything will be streaming services like Stadia/Netflix i will quit buying new games and i'll be focusing on what i have.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll buy less games, period. And I'd wait for much deeper sales. I tend to take more risks with the ability to buy physical because I can always sell the game if I end up not liking it. Digital games are incredibly convenient but also more expensive in the long-run for consumers (no trading or selling your game, among other factors).

DelireMan7

I'll tell all the youngster how it was better before when we had real disc in our hands.

I don't see myself stop gaming so will probably go digital but with a lot of sadness and will play my physical "old" full of nostalgia

Max_Po

Banned
From the poll it looks like physical owners are a loud minority.

Yes, thank you for the great observation and forecasting ultimate global digitization uproar by narrowing it down to the 29 users.

• I'll go along and start buying my games digital
    Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I am already all digital. Physical games are outdated
    Votes: 29 47.5%
  • I'll stop buying new games and go retro
    Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I'll stop gaming
    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I'm not sure...
    Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Total voters 61

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i voted "i will go along" but tbh i will by the only digital new games and keep collecting physical retro games. most of my newer games are digital already, doesn't mean i can't still collect physical as well.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

For those who use Steam, we have been mostly buying digital for many years now. You can save good money during their sales!

I fall in the camp where I will buy physical first always, particularly Nintendo titles. But other platforms (excluding retro) don't hold their value as well so resale value it low.

To answer the question directly, I would have to embrace it, but I'd wait for sales to pick up titles at a discounted rate.

Aidah

I haven't bought a game in general on Playstation or Xbox for a long time, but on PC I'm obviously all digital and even on Switch only two or three out of the 50 or so games I have are physical. So I guess I would just carry on, but even though I haven't bought physical for a very long time I wouldn't want the option to no longer exist.

I've been buying digital because I prefer it overall, but you never know what could happen and I might end up reconsidering.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, not sure. It has to happen for me to decide what I want to do.

Quezacolt

Yup, people who always scream boycott are the first to fold
i've been a big fan of pokemon, never missed any gen, but i skipped sword and shield and will continue to not buy new pokemon games until i see that the series is going back on tracks. Same with games from EA and Activision.

Moogle11

Banned
I’ll go along as I’m already shifting to more and more digital. I really only buy physical if it’s a short game (under 20 hours) I want to play day one vs waiting for a discount so I can swell when I’m done. I don’t collect and rarely replay games so digital makes more sense other than for things I want to be able to sell when I’m done to get the price where I want it.

All my game purchases save a few wii u titles 4 years ago have been digital since 2013 since I have been playing on pc 99% of the time. It won't affect me at all really.

Guilty_AI

Ok, i have a few issues with the pros and cons of digital. The problems highlighted aren't nearly as bad as some people make out to be.

- You technically don't own the game. You are only licensed to use it.
That's actually also true for physical. Even if you are getting a CD/DVD/Blue-Ray you're still technically buying a license. Its just that people ignore that fact, and it's easier to just see it as a product. In fact, nowadays, even if you get a physical copy developers can still restrict its use through the internet like they would a digital copy..

In a way, how much you own the game depends much more on the developers than the nature of the copy. With GOG for example, as long as you make a backup, theres no risk of you losing your game due to the service being shutdown. In fact, thats also true for some Steam games, that don't require the client to be running (The Witcher 3 is one of those for example).

- Storage cost. Game sizes increase significantly in relation to average hard drive capacity. Hard drives are still limited (for now)
I don't see the problem with this. With digital libraries you don't have to have everything installed at once, and if you want to save your games you can do it with an external HDD.

- Price is fixed. Unless discounted in store, you cannot buy it cheaper from someone who finished it.
While this is true, there are significant pros being ignored here. Its much easier to keep track of sales than it is with physical goods, and theres 0 risk of the game running out of copies during those sales.

- Digital licensing. Games with soundtracks (ex GTA) or licensed brands (cars in race games) run on annual contracts. If a developer decides to discontinue the contract the licensed product will be removed from the game. E.g music in gta remakes.
Thats also true for physical goods, maybe except with older games on older consoles. And at least on pc, its fairly easy to bypass/mod a game to revert the change, at least as long as the game isn't a "live service" type (i did that when i replayed GTA SA).

Other pro of digital includes how it enabled smaller or independent developers to reach worldwide audience.
Before i went digital, there were plenty of games i couldn't get my hands on simply because they weren't available in my region. There was also the issue of older games that'd stop being produced, making them harder to get.

Last edited:

GetemMa

PC has been effectively digital only for over 10 years. So nothing will change for me.

I have consoles, but I still buy digital on those now too. When Sony and MS basically went with off the shelf PC architecture, backwards compatibility became a no brainer so I wasn't hesitant to go all digital on my PS4. The last systems I purchased a physical game for was Xbox360 and the WiiU.

Diablos

I would be really disappointed if gaming went all digital. I like having the option of going digital when it makes the most sense to me, of course; but most “big” games I prefer owning a physical copy of.

If it’s an indie title or something like, say, Rocket League then it makes a lot of sense to buy a digital copy of course. Hopefully both options can continue to coexist for the upcoming console gen.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I hate getting off the couch to change a game for my consoles and haven't bought a physical PC game in the last decade. I'm ready for all digital.

Top Bottom