• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the last game you played set in the city/country you live in?

How many times has a game been set in an area based off of the place you live?

• Once or twice

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Up to a dozen

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Too many times to count

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Never

Votes: 34 37.0%

• Total voters
Or set in a city/country based off of the one you live in?

edit: and how accurate would you say the portrayal was?

Last edited:

CheeseCake

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Yep, same here, even though this simulator is a snooze fest. I pretty much gave up after like 40 mins of "gameplay" (LOL)

Sleepy Moon GIF by CBeebies HQ

Banned
City: Microsoft Flight Simulator lol

Country: Overwatch, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, basically EVERY WWII game LOL, Wolfenstein (most of them), Forza 1/2/3/4/5/6/7, GranTurismo 1/2/3/4/5/6, every Formula 1 game... there are more but these are the ones from the top of my head

the last one I played would be Wolfenstein The new Order, as I recently started a new playthrough on PC

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Couldn't think of a single game set in Ireland that I played then remembered two (both fictional places, obviously)

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars' second level was in Lochmarne (🤷‍♂️) in Ireland. Changed vote to one place that stereotypically was a pub and a castle.

The Little Acre on PS4 was set somewhere in Ireland. Decent game that can be finished in an hour. Buy it if it is dirt cheap if you enjoy games like Broken Sword and In Cold Blood.

However, The Best is Yet to Come is sung in Irish for Metal Gear Solid so happy out there.

Last edited:
City? Never. Country, quite often.

Do fictional cities inside real countries count? Gotham, Raccoon City and South Park don't exist, yet they're all in the United States, which does.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I'm in Hong Kong, and probably Sleeping Dogs - which also wins points for being a pretty accurate depiction, although it does make the back alleys seem much more sketchy than they are.

ButchCat

Five games that were at one point London based.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Resistance Fall of Man
Uncharted 3
Assassin Creed Syndicate
Mass Effect 3

lmimmfn

Couldn't think of a single game set in Ireland that I played then remembered two (both fictional places, obviously)

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars' second level was in Lochmarne (🤷‍♂️) in Ireland. Changed vote to one place that stereotypically was a pub and a castle.

The Little Acre on PS4 was set somewhere in Ireland. Decent game that can be finished in an hour. Buy it if it is dirt cheap if you enjoy games like Broken Sword and In Cold Blood.

However, The Best is Yet to Come is sung in Irish for Metal Gear Solid so happy out there.
GT legends has Mondello :)
Assassins Creed Valhala DLC is set in Ireland
Full list - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_Ireland
Technically not ireland but theres also the old early 80s game Tir Na N'og

MGS tune rox, first time i heard it i had to check the credits :)

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
does low effort FMV games count? if yes only once when i was 12 or so, it was shit too and full of state propaganda which my retarded 12 year old mind loved i'm sure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The first Life is Strange game

Huggers

I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 right now and it has an amazingly accurate feel to the setting. So many more games set in the UK. The one that really comes to mind is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which is ridiculously accurate. That villages looks so much like the one I grew up in

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
recently The Medium. Very accurate and detailed portrayal of late 80's, felt like bumping into an easter egg every 5 minutes. No.1 reason I liked the game tbh, I see why people think it sucked without that context.

Alandring

I think the only game which takes place in my city is Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, but I have never played it.

A lot of games are based in the USA, but are there very many set in Pennsylvania? I highly doubt there are any notable ones based in Northwest PA, which is where I'm from. Certainly none in Meadville, where I've lived the last six years.

I recently played Like a Dragon. It is damn close to the feeling of just walking around the streets of Shinjuku and Yokohama. Especially at night.

ymoc

maxresdefault.jpg
Only one that I have found and played so far.
C&C Tiberium Wars (awesome game btw) features one map in Slovenia. And its a pretty good one too!

Trimesh

Banned
A lot of games are based in the USA, but are there very many set in Pennsylvania? I highly doubt there are any notable ones based in Northwest PA, which is where I'm from. Certainly none in Meadville, where I've lived the last six years.

Nothing I can think of - there have been a few set in Pittsburg though.

City? Never. Country, quite often.

Do fictional cities inside real countries count? Gotham, Raccoon City and South Park don't exist, yet they're all in the United States, which does.
I mean, we don't live in those fictional cities within real countries

Well, except for this guy
Super Mario Sunshine.

but then even in those cases the games will make references to the actual country (or be based off of an actual city there), references one might miss if they weren't native. So, I guess they count?

Forza Horizon 4. Going to one of the bigger landmarks in the game tomorrow actually.

It a very compressed version of a section of the UK with no real regard to the actual geography but some bits do line up perfectly and are easily recognisable.

TheSweeper

I live in a small town in Franconia, Germany. So no chance of a game ever using this location. As for the country...can't recall the last time I played a game that was set in Germany. I don't play WW-shooters, so the most obvious choice doesn't apply for me.

Arioco

but then even in those cases the games will make references to the actual country (or be based off of an actual city there), references one might miss if they weren't native. So, I guess they count?

It was just a joke but you might have a point. 🤔 Many fantasy games are "inspired" by real locations.

As for your question, the last game set in my country that I remember playing is Resident Evil 4. Really looking forward to the remake!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
When I was still there, every game that featured the Pentagon, Quantico, etc, which was like every military shooter and spy game. So, about a dozen.

GymWolf

None, but at least gta3 had some sicilian insults in the sicilian zone...

I guess that the first mission on hitman 2 was in sicily but not my city.

Last edited:
Top Bottom