• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game console and games company?

Which is your favorite game consoles and game company? Out of the 3 current?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
sony obviously ,

EyOBvrOWEAA9UXj.jpg:large

I’m most interested in Microsoft’s upcoming games. That might change when Sony shows more stuff but I don’t vibe with most of their current exclusives.

Nintendo has some good stuff but lacking third party support.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Sony makes the berst consoles Nintendo makes the best games buuuuuut now Microsofts has Bethesdas and they have Doom Elders Scrolls Starfields so the futures is interemesting

zeldaring

Banned
Fromsoftware is my favorite video game developer and my favorite consoles would be

PS4
Ps2
N64

If we only talking about the big 3 then it's Sony.

Last edited:
That's one cheeky poll with visible votes... Anyway. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Microsoft - Xbox 360 (the console I enjoyed my time the most with in my teens)
Sony - PS5 (very good console that can play PS4 titles which is a very important aspect to me)
Nintendo - Switch OLED (probably my fav one right now due to the great library of games + awesome screen and battery life)

Winter John

Valve I guess. I don't give a fuck who makes what. I just wanna play the games. Them fanboys are basically like the dumbest sports fans that everyone else hates. It's like they can only afford one season ticket for one team so of course, they hafta make out like every other team sucks. Fuck those guys.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love visible polls. I get to see what’s either a hundred posters who never post or a hundred alts of weird posters.

Amory

Sony, pretty easily.

You could say they've become too reliant on the single player cinematic games, but that's mostly what I enjoy. Microsoft has a lot of potential with their acquisitions, hopefully Starfield will kick off a great era for xbox and PC.

Nintendo's offerings mostly aren't for me anymore. I think it's one thing to cater to a younger audience and families, that's either something you want or not. But being a Nintendo-developed game has meant less and less over time in terms of overall quality, outside of the mainline Mario and Zelda titles. For several generations now I've bought a playstation and whatever nintendo's console was. I think with the Switch 2 i'm going to hold off at least until there's a mid-gen refresh.

Last edited:

Bond007

Playstation/Sony
Since the PSX days and the very first time i laid my eyes on Resident Evil and Twisted Metal 1 it was love at first sight.

Nintendo
Depending on the generation- this spot fluxes with Microsoft. Currently #2 for me. N64 and Switch being personal highpoints

Xbox is last for me. It has its moments but generally resides here.
360 launch was incredible for that one year alone. Havent been hooked since Titanfall 1 was exclusive.

DareDaniel

Banned
It has been Sony since PS1 but PS4 had such weak exclusives (Horizon, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima) that I didn't even bother buying a PS5. I went PC last year and I can still play the best PS5 exclusives anyway (Rift Apart was pretty good). Nintendo comes close in second, each console has always some of the best games ever, I had a Wii and a Wii U and now I'm enjoying Switch a lot on PC with much better resolution and performance than console owners.

Robb

Gold Member
This is always tied to the exclusive games for me and it changes over time. Back on Ps1/Ps2 I’d go with Sony as #1 any day of the week. Today I’d go with Nintendo as #1 for sure.

It has always been between Sony/Nintendo though. Can’t say I care much for MS/Xbox as a brand and everything they put out is multiplat.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I don't have a favorite. I do have a company that pisses me off the least, and that's Nintendo.
They're the ones making the products I want the most, so they get my money.
For everything else, I have a PC.

Difficult question. Over the years I have loved and hated all of them from time to time and all of them have had a period when each if then was my favourite.

Now they all have some severe drawbacks in different ways.. I think Sony and Nintendo are tied for me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I've voted Sony, but not for anything they've done in recent years.

But the Playstation and Ps2 is still the greatest one/two punch in the history of gaming. And the Ps4 was incredibly well marketed, with a real attention to keeping consumers happy.

Then Jim fucking Ryan came along and greed conquers everything else. God job for him the competition are even worse.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My favourite company is Sony and my favourite developer up until recently was Rockstar, now it's Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

DonF

Sony for sure. I don't love them as I used to, but it's my overall favorite.
I recognize the 360 era Microsoft as a powerhouse and Nintendo was super cool to me until the GameCube. They lost some of my respect when they went the underpowered hardware way. They still make great games, industry leading games, but their hardware, some times, you can tell it's being pushed way too much.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
This is a tough one but I'm gonna go with Sony, despite not being a fan of half of their consoles. I do love the PS1 and the PS3 (never had any love for the PS2 or PS4) and I think PS5 is their best designed console ever in terms of engineering, but overall I am a big Playstation fan and have always been since day 1.

Nintendo is a bit trickier. I was never a big Nintendo fan in the past. During the early days of NES and SNES, I was a Sega fanboy and played most of my 8-blt and 16-bit games on Master System and Mega Drive. I didn't really care about Nintendo until the Gamecube, it was an awesome console, but after that I lost interest in Nintendo again with the whole Wii-era. But with that said, they struck gold with the Switch, which is probably my favorite console of all time and I'm hugely invested in the platform. I love it so much.

Never had much love for Microsoft or their hardware (sorry Xbros) but they do occasionally drop some bangers, and since I've recently invested in a PC, their support for the platform is great as well as providing good value with their subscription model, something I can't say about either Sony or Nintendo. I very much want them to stay competitive and it would be a great loss to the games industry if they were to exit.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
In my youth I was a Sega fanboy. Then when the Dreamcast died I went to Xbox for a brief moment.

But then the DS came out. It was my first handheld, and it totally changed everything.

So right now Nintendo.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Sony at the moment, but I've still got a big soft spot for Nintendo properties since that's what I grew up on in the 80s and 90s.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't really have a favorite. They all have their pros and cons

• Nintendo
    • + Vast library of absolutely classic, iconic game franchises for all ages
    • + Focus on local multiplayer and shared experiences in the home
    • + Innovative approaches to control methods and user interaction
    • - Shit hardware horsepower
    • - Expensive, arguably overpriced game library. Game prices rarely drop, 10 year old re-releases being sold for $60, poor BC support, etc..
    • - Hamfisted, antagonistic relationship with modding/emulation community
  • Microsoft
    • + Best value proposition of all platforms with Game Pass, Microsoft Rewards, and robust BC (like Red Dead Redemption Enhanced BC, saving consumers from having to buy an expensive re-release, for example)
    • + Best hardware design/aesthetic
    • + Leading the industry as far as QoL improvements go, like Auto HDR, Quick Resume, Enhanced BC, FPS Boost, Smart Delivery, Xbox Play Anywhere, pushing forward crossplay/crossprogression, xCloud, etc..
    • - Currently has the least impressive lineup of 1st party games
    • - Some poor strategic hardware decisions like the storage expansion cards and arguably the Series S
    • - Some signs that they're abandoning much of what made their platform unique (no more BC program, no more enhanced BC, no more FPS Boost, Microsoft Rewards being nerfed, xCloud seemingly becoming less and less of a focus, etc..)
  • Sony
    • + Best 1st party library of cutting edge, adult focused games
    • + Most innovative controller with the DualSense
    • + Unique take on hardware that seems to be giving them the upperhand in multiplatform games, with their extremely fast storage/storage controller
    • - Half-assed approach to BC and respecting their own games lineage
    • - Non-consumer friendly moves, such as being the first to price their games at $69.99, not offering a Smart Delivery type program for last-gen games, and trying to nickel-and-dime consumers for PS4 -> PS5 upgrades
    • PSVR has been all but abandoned and has become a $550 paperweight

They're all great in their own ways though. I'm primary a PC gamer because I get to enjoy all games that way (Xbox with Game Pass/Play Anywhere on PC, Playstation with Sony bringing their games to PC, and Switch with emulation via Ryujinx or Yuzu).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom