• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Harry Potter film?

What is the best Harry Potter film?

• Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • Chamber of Secrets

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Prisoner of Azkaban

Votes: 70 49.3%
  • Goblet of Fire

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Order of the Phoenix

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Half-Blood Prince

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Deathly Hallows Part 1

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Deathly Hallows Part 2

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters
Goblet of Fire has been called an extended videoclip and that’s sorta true, but it’s an awesome movie and probably more faithful to such a long book than Azkaban managed to be. It’s stylish in a funny, goofy way, with haircuts and costumes way over the top. Michael Gambon screwed up that Dumbledore scene royally, but it kinda gels well with the overall tone of the film.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Azkaban is the best source material, direct by Alfonso Cuaron, and they got Gary Oldman, David Thewlis and Timothy Spall in a room having a whale of a time. It's 3.

That said, the final movie is easily the 2nd best.
That's my sentiment too!

Some photos I took at the studio yesterday :) I took maybe 400+ photos. If anyone is interested I could try upload them all somewhere

0ExqPXS.jpg

MWJ46vT.jpg

xEu2jQ6.jpg

qp5h70a.jpg

sMllyUb.jpg

HBnMNKS.jpg

74QQtgV.jpg

daTRUballin

Some photos I took at the studio yesterday :) I took maybe 400+ photos. If anyone is interested I could try upload them all somewhere

0ExqPXS.jpg

MWJ46vT.jpg

xEu2jQ6.jpg

qp5h70a.jpg

sMllyUb.jpg

HBnMNKS.jpg

74QQtgV.jpg
Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

I'm just wondering if these sets are actually the same ones that were used in the films with the actors or if these are just recreations? Like, have Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson actually stepped foot in the common room in the second pic? Idk how this stuff works lol

Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

I'm just wondering if these sets are actually the same ones that were used in the films with the actors or if these are just recreations? Like, have Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson actually stepped foot in the common room in the second pic? Idk how this stuff works lol
there is a video at the start where Daniel says that a lot of the original sets don’t exist anymore (showed a video of “King’s Cross” set being removed) and there was lots of green screen but everything in the tour was used in the movies. The studio was where they actually filmed the movies and once all the movies came out that’s when they turned it into a tour so yeah that’s really where the cast filmed. Leavesden is a huge film set where movies like James Bond, Mission Impossible, Barbie, The Batman (2022), Star Wars (episode 1) were filmed.

The biggest sets were the great hall, common room, diagon alley, gringotts, boys dorm, privet drive house, dumbledores office, hagrids hut. There is the hogwarts express train too (real train and carriages). There is a herbology set but that’s definitely a recreation because it was only added a while back and it’s more of just an opportunity to get a photo pulling mandrakes. The rest are definitely real.

The tour is a lot of costumes/wigs, props, set pieces, behinds the scenes photos and photos taken by make up/costume for continuity references, make up/costume boxes of stuff and all the products they used (lots of personal notes photos of the artists), there is also machines (my mind goes blank for the real term) they used to film broom flying, making the Voldemort “baby” from King’s Cross scene, baby fawkes, lupins suitcase, etc. there is lots of models and the huge hogwarts one is what they used to film the sweeping shots of the school.

Last edited:

Laieon

I like Colombus' entries the best, but the special effects (especially the ol' Troll in the dungeon) are definitely starting to show its age.

While I understand why PoA is often considered one of the best, it's personally my least favorite because I didn't like a lot of the changes Cuaron made (and that Yates' entries followed) from the direction that Colombus took - nobody wears robes (instead they're in jeans and hoodies,), Hogwarts itself feels less like a character (to me, the first two movies have always done a pretty good job of making it feel "alive" and selling that fish out of water mood) of its own and just a place, I prefer the warmer color pallet from the first two movies, and as a whole going from the first two movies to PoA always just feels off on rewatches because of the lack of continuity and consideration of location places in and around Hogwarts.

gtyrge2a152a1.jpg

I really hope that if/when the HBO series actually comes out, they decide on a look and continuity from the very beginning.

0ExqPXS.jpg

MWJ46vT.jpg

xEu2jQ6.jpg

qp5h70a.jpg

sMllyUb.jpg

HBnMNKS.jpg

74QQtgV.jpg

I went there this summer when I visited the UK, it's awesome! The place was swarming with school kids on field trips. Loved how the whole thing started too with them sitting you down in the theater, then
screen pulls up and reveals the doors to the great hall.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

I like Colombus' entries the best, but the special effects (especially the ol' Troll in the dungeon) are definitely starting to show its age.

While I understand why PoA is often considered one of the best, it's personally my least favorite because I didn't like a lot of the changes Cuaron made (and that Yates' entries followed) from the direction that Colombus took - nobody wears robes (instead they're in jeans and hoodies,), Hogwarts itself feels less like a character (to me, the first two movies have always done a pretty good job of making it feel "alive" and selling that fish out of water mood) of its own and just a place, I prefer the warmer color pallet from the first two movies, and as a whole going from the first two movies to PoA always just feels off on rewatches because of the lack of continuity and consideration of location places in and around Hogwarts.

gtyrge2a152a1.jpg

I really hope that if/when the HBO series actually comes out, they decide on a look and continuity from the very beginning.
I still have trouble understanding the complaint about the students not wearing robes in the later movies. I feel like we still see them wear their robes/uniforms for a decent chunk of time. They always wear them in the classroom scenes, for example. It's only when they're outside of school or on break that they wear regular clothes which seems to make sense to me. Even in the first movie, Harry and Ron are wearing regular clothes when they're playing chess in the Great Hall and then the trio wears regular clothes in the final act of the movie when they're trying to get to the Sorcerer's Stone. And then in Chamber of Secrets, Harry and Ron are also wearing regular clothes when they go to follow the spiders in the forbidden forest.

When it comes to PoA changing the layout of Hogwarts, I don't really mind most of it. Though the one change that really bothers me is where they moved the Fat Lady's portrait to. In the first movie, it was at the very end of a corridor and it's always how I picture it to be like when I read the books. Technically, I'm pretty sure where Hagrid's hut is located in the first two is also more book accurate, but for some reason, that change doesn't bother me as much.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Azkaban, easily. It’s the best adaptation of the source material and a great movie without trying to cram every little thing from the books in.

Melon Husk

I've been wondering lately about how a Harry Potter movie directed by Tim Burton would be like. Wasn't he a candidate for the first movie? It would've been interesting to see him do one of the later entries. Or would his style be too weird and dark for HP? I bet he straight up would've made an R rated Potter movie lol
Yeah, Tim Burton would have been a better director for Half-Blood Prince.

daTRUballin

Yeah, Tim Burton would have been a better director for Half-Blood Prince.
Voldemort would've been ten times creepier, Helena Bonham Carter would've had approximately 90% more screen time, and Johnny Depp would've been the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher or something.

NahaNago

From what I vaguely remember it would be the first one since the movies felt like they had less magical wonder as the series progressed. I did liked the last film as well but that was just because of Snape.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I still have trouble understanding the complaint about the students not wearing robes in the later movies. I feel like we still see them wear their robes/uniforms for a decent chunk of time. They always wear them in the classroom scenes, for example. It's only when they're outside of school or on break that they wear regular clothes which seems to make sense to me. Even in the first movie, Harry and Ron are wearing regular clothes when they're playing chess in the Great Hall and then the trio wears regular clothes in the final act of the movie when they're trying to get to the Sorcerer's Stone. And then in Chamber of Secrets, Harry and Ron are also wearing regular clothes when they go to follow the spiders in the forbidden forest.

When it comes to PoA changing the layout of Hogwarts, I don't really mind most of it. Though the one change that really bothers me is where they moved the Fat Lady's portrait to. In the first movie, it was at the very end of a corridor and it's always how I picture it to be like when I read the books. Technically, I'm pretty sure where Hagrid's hut is located in the first two is also more book accurate, but for some reason, that change doesn't bother me as much.
It went from wizard robes to standard school uniform. It was a noticeable change that Cuaron made on purpose, and many feel it detracted from the look. I like POA, but I agree. It's not about what clothes they wore outside of class times, that's not the issue people have with it.

The books painted the wizarding world as having their own fashion and being out of touch with Muggle clothing, yet in the movies they're all just wearing the boring uniform you'd find anywhere else. I don't know why Cuaron wanted the uniforms to be more relatable, it's a magic school in a castle. Not much about that is relatable.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

It went from wizard robes to standard school uniform. It was a noticeable change that Cuaron made on purpose, and many feel it detracted from the look. I like POA, but I agree.

It's not about what clothes they wore outside of class times, it's never been about that.

The books painted the wizarding world as having their own fashion and being out of touch with Muggle clothing, yet in the movies they're all just wearing the boring uniform you'd find anywhere else. I don't know why Cuaron wanted the uniforms to be more relatable, it's a magic school in a castle. Not much about that is relatable.
Hmmm, I dunno. They still wear robes in Cuaron's movie. They're just designed differently. I guess I just never really noticed much of a difference in the 'wizardness' of their robes, but I think I understand the gripe that people have with it a bit more now lol

Last edited:

deathsaber

Its actually hard for me, because I look at it as both a book reader and a movie fan. I know its unfair to sometimes judge films based on the book, but I can't help it sometimes.

The answer is still probably Azkaban for me. Its Rowlings best written Potter story. The one that has nothing directly to do with Voldemort. As a movie, it gained a ton of visual flair, and the kids acting improved big time. Aspects still MAJORLY piss me off (no facetime is given at all to the identity of Padfoot, Prongs, Mooney , and Wormtail as friends in their younger school days, as creators of the Maurader's Map, and this is so important to the ethos of what ultimately happens, but still, its a good movie.

I also really like Order of the Phoenix- purely taken as a film. But it's actually abysmal as an adaptation of the book. Literally has almost none of the anger/angst that Harry has in the book throughout, which is really the prevalent thing throughout that story. But still actually managed to be a pretty entertaining film, taken on its own merit. Obviously, they abridged a TON, actually winding up being the shortest film while adapting the longest book of the series. Still wound up a solid film.

Last edited:

TheZink

0ExqPXS.jpg

MWJ46vT.jpg

xEu2jQ6.jpg

qp5h70a.jpg

sMllyUb.jpg

HBnMNKS.jpg

74QQtgV.jpg
I want to go here so bad. The Wizarding World in Universal Fl is amazing though. It feels like you’re in the movies.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

I also really like Order of the Phoenix- purely taken as a film. But its actually abysmal as an adaptation of the book. Literally has almost none of the anger/angst that Harry has in the book throughout. But still actually managed to be a pretty entertaining film, taken on its own merit. Obviously, they abridged a TON, actually winding up being the shortest film while adapting the longest book of the series.
I was recently listening to the Binge Mode podcast talk about the movies and they talked about how the OotP movie kind of replaced Harry's anger with more of a world weariness and depression. I don't really mind that because as great as the book was, we don't necessarily need Harry in caps lock mode walking around AND YELLING AT EVERY SINGLE PERSON HE TALKS TO AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS. Radcliffe would've probably lost his voice by the time they were done filming.

Last edited:

deathsaber

I hear you and agree somewhat, and that it might not play well on film. Still, that's the source material. Just re-read the books, and re-watched all the films. I mean, the book pretty much ends with Harry in deep rage/depression, post Sirius death, (and he's been that same mood the whole book, post Cedric death, and Voldemort's return from "Goblet"), he goes to see Hagrid who says "hi" and starts to give condolences, and Harry more or less is like "fuck off" and walks away mid-sentence before he's even had like 10 seconds to speak. To Hagrid. Like, the kindest/most lovable/loyal person in Hogwarts who is only being nice. Though it makes for a bigger impact when Luna ends up being pretty much the one person who sooves Harry and offers comfort. At least a version of this scene made it into the film, even if Harry isn't angry and mostly just a little somber at that point.

As I said, I like the film, but they did take a lot of liberty with its overall theme and feel. Still, they made a pretty taut, and exciting film out of it.

daTRUballin

A person with a bad opinion who should feel bad.

I hear you and agree somewhat, and that it might not play well on film. Still, that's the source material. Just re-read the books, and re-watched all the films. I mean, the book pretty much ends with Harry in deep rage/depression, post Sirius death, (and he's been that same mood the whole book, post Cedric death, and Voldemort's return from "Goblet"), he goes to see Hagrid who says "hi" and starts to give condolences, and Harry more or less is like "fuck off" and walks away mid-sentence before he's even had like 10 seconds to speak. To Hagrid. Like, the kindest/most lovable/loyal person in Hogwarts who is only being nice. Though it makes for a bigger impact when Luna ends up being pretty much the one person who sooves Harry and offers comfort. At least a version of this scene made it into the film, even if Harry isn't angry and mostly just a little somber at that point.

As I said, I like the film, but they did take a lot of liberty with its overall theme and feel. Still, they made a pretty taut, and exciting film out of it.
I used to be a little so-so on the film, but I've really grown to appreciate the entire ending sequence at the ministry. The way Sirius' death was filmed, then the badass Dumbledore vs. Voldemort duel leading into the great scene where Harry fights off Voldemort when he's trying to possess him. Just great stuff all around. That's why I could never hate this film or David Yates, even if I agree that his films have some glaring issues.

Melon Husk

I rewatched HBP to freshen my memory (actually a fan edit that fixes the color grading and adds deleted scenes) and it's probably the worst book adaptation. The plot rushes on at breakneck speed and things just happen. Ron gets a girlfriend but Lavender isn't even named (perhaps once if I missed it). HBP is extremely sparse in dialogue.

daTRUballin

I rewatched HBP to freshen my memory (actually a fan edit that fixes the color grading and adds deleted scenes) and it's probably the worst book adaptation. The plot rushes on at breakneck speed and things just happen. Ron gets a girlfriend but Lavender isn't even named (perhaps once if I missed it). HBP is extremely sparse in dialogue.
She is named a couple times.

Also, let's not forget that they built up the fact that Snape has always wanted the Defense Against the Dark Arts job for 5 movies and then when he gets the job in this movie, they don't even show him teaching it. WTF?

And no, the scene in PoA where he substitutes for Lupin doesn't count. That's not really the same.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have this awesome walk in pantry that I call the Harry Potter suite since it has a little cubby hole in the back undearneat the stair case.

j5NVbig.jpg

Got 2 little ones so they make a mess FORGIVENESS PLEASE

Last edited:

Raven117

I've noticed in general that it's usually book readers that can't stand Goblet. People that didn't read them seem to love the movie and that's the point where the story gets really crazy and interesting for them.
Yup. Had just enough "magic" and school-charm, but the more interesting stuff kinda snaking its way through the story.

All good stuff.

Laieon

I've noticed in general that it's usually book readers that can't stand Goblet. People that didn't read them seem to love the movie and that's the point where the story gets really crazy and interesting for them.

I've reread the books countless times and Goblet is my favorite outside of Columbus' 2. I'm actually seeing it in theaters tomorrow because Alamo Drafthouse has been reshowing them (saw Azkaban, which as I said above is my least favorite, last weekend).

Last edited:

daTRUballin

I've reread the books countless times and Goblet is my favorite outside of Columbus' 2. I'm actually seeing it in theaters tomorrow because Alamo Drafthouse has been reshowing them (saw Azkaban, which as I said above is my least favorite, last weekend).
Critics loved it especially. I believe it's the third highest rated HP movie on Rotten Tomatoes (strictly talking critic scores, not audience scores). It's also the third highest rated on IMDb. But the way some people talk about it, you'd think it was a massive piece of shit.

Elysion

Banned
Goblet is an abomination. It doesn’t explain anything. How did Barry Crouch Jr. get out of Azkaban? Who killed Barry Crouch Sr.? Why did Harry’s and Voldemort’s wands react so weirdly during their duel in the graveyard? Why the fuck did the ghosts of Cedric and Harry’s parents appear and attack Voldemort? If you didn’t read the book, you got no answers to any of this. And they totally butchered the final task in the maze; all the creatures and traps that Harry had to overcome with his own wits and skill are just cut, and instead all we got was moving hedges.

Though the lack of explanation and exposition wasn’t just a problem with Goblet, this was an issue in all the post-Columbus movies. It’s like they feared that the audience would lose interest if they started explaining things. PoA was the first that did this, with its total lack of explanation regarding the Marauder’s Map or who Prongs, Moony and Padfoot were. Was it even mentioned in the movie that it was them that created the map? Or that Harry’s father was an animagus too, and that Harry’s patronus is based on him?

Overall, I would say Chamber of Secrets is the best of the movies. It’s a bit darker than the first, but still whimsical, is fairly faithful, everything that needs to be explained is explained properly, and the special effects are better than in the first.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Goblet is an abomination. It doesn’t explain anything. How did Barry Crouch Jr. get out of Azkaban? Who killed Barry Crouch Sr.? Why did Harry’s and Voldemort’s wands react so weirdly during their duel in the graveyard? Why the fuck did the ghosts of Cedric and Harry’s parents appear and attack Voldemort? If you didn’t read the book, you got no answers to any of this. And they totally butchered the final task in the maze; all the creatures and traps that Harry had to overcome with his own wits and skill are just cut, and instead all we got was moving hedges.
To be fair, it's probably not hard to figure out that Crouch Sr. was murdered by his son even if they don't spell it out.

But yes, the film did kinda butcher the book's plot in a lot of ways. Especially the whole subplot with the Crouch family. And don't get me started on David Tennant's overacting. Not sure what they were thinking there. In the book, you're not sure if Crouch Jr. is actually a Death Eater or not. In the film, he's just a psychotic pantomime villain.

None of them. I just find them pretty boring to be honest.

However, if someone were to take a gun to my head I would choose The Prisoner of Azkaban.

I like the little shrunken head in the bus and I really like the Dementors.

That's the thing with the Harry Potter series is that I like the concept but not the execution.

Top Bottom