• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a moment in Gaming you'll never forget?

maxresdefault.jpg
Exactly this!

Barrico82

Banned
In the NES era playing against the Japanese full star team in Captain Tsubasa 2, how am I gonna beat them all !

Then fast forward to the PS1 era and that famous scene in FF7, the shock I get from just thinking how did they do that to a main character, in the same Gen the time that the Logo appears in MGS1 I knew then that game is so so special.

In PS3 era, the first time you enter Mexico in Red dead 1

Lately, the first time you play with ASTROboy in the PS5 with the dual sense it is really a game changer

Moonjt9

Giving strippers money in duke nukem 3D and then they flash their tassled titties at you. Left an unforgettable memory on Elementary school me.

Ghekkus

Crossing over into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption and the song started playing...and accidently getting off my horse causing the song to stop playing. 😭

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Video Games are a very powerful medium, they're capable of making one feel a wide variety of emotions and imprinting memories on the user that they'll never forget. You could say the same about a song that sparks a specific memory in you or a scene in a film that stays with you forever, but I believe Video Games are so much more special.

The fact that as a medium games are so vivid in how they always place you in the drivers seat, you aren't listening to a set song that has already been written and produced into one way, you aren't watching a film that always will follow the same structure with you as a mere observer, you are actually experiencing it all directly and gaining a vastly more memorable and emotional connection with said game. And whilst it is true that games too can follow a set structure and in some cases like a David Cage game you are for the most part literally watching it like a film, I believe Gaming is truly unique in how you can experience things and realise dreams you never thought were possible.

This forum is built off the widespread admiration for this medium and I think we can all agree on how special games are, I would love to know from some of my fellow Gaffers what moment/moments in your life time playing video games will stay with you forever and mean so much to you always, it can be a level/stage you adored, a character you fell in love with, a narrative that encapsulated you or a ending that left your mouth agape, in a time where there seems to be so much discourse between people over their gaming preferences, I think to be able to just reflect on what makes us love this art form so much would be nice.

So my friends, what moment and/or moments in Gaming will you never forget?
That my name was in a important magazine. And be in a TV show, because I found a easter egg from Yoshi island... And again.... I Won a contest and the prize was a bundle special edition of Rockband.

And again... In 2020 I was mentioned a TV program

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Mario 64 - the moment you boot it up and have a 3D model of Mario’s face, fully interactive on screen.

Daytona USA - playing the arcade. A fully realized 3D race track, kickass music and sweet gameplay.

Doom - although I had played wolfenstein before, it was very primitive and felt more like a curiosity. Doom however, was the real deal.

Mr.ODST

Pretty crazy remembering stuff like this. I can tell you the very first map I played in Halo 2, Waterworks. The first map I played in the Halo 3 beta, high ground. I have so many amazing memories of bungies Halo games. The first time I hit level 50 in Halo 3 MP was on Guardian playing with a friend in 2v2. We literally tied the other team and it ranked me up to 50.
Cant stop playing MCC! so much fun

The QuickTime knifefight with Krauser. Resident Evil 4 - GameCube.
Absolutely, 500% this

Also, getting a Gamecube after 2 full years waiting
as a kid, I felt in love with the purple Nintendo box after a Metroid Prime demo in a mall, and two magazine specials, one about the big upcoming titles, Mario Sunshine, starfox adventures, prime and Zelda WW, and another 4 pages one about smash Melee, and literally salivating about that console on every magazine, article, TV spot, everything, I was dreaming getting one with Mario
Also, a friend of mine used to have a Gc way before me, so I often was at his place, playing Mario for countless hours

I was the happiest kid in the world when I saved enough money to buy it with Super Mario Sunshine, after they sold the console at 99$, and finally had mine

Incredible moment, my favourite gaming moment ever, as well as getting Re4, and Pokèmon Ruby on GBA
Also, every single hour playing with my sister Mario Party 4, and the God of multiplayer fun itself, Mario Kart double Dash, I dunno what i'd do to play another Mario Kart on switch with the returning double pilots mechanic

Funnily enough, today I'm big on Ps4, I also play Switch but much less than its rival, and also was big on ps1 in ps1/n64 era ( played more than 100 games on the gray goddess) but 99% of my best gaming memories are N related, specifically GameCube /gba era

Last edited:

BigLee74

Seeing then playing the following for the first time:

Tomb Raider
Unreal Tournament
Half Life

And the nuke going off in COD 4.

And the dismemberment in Soldier of Fortune.

Gaming since the early 80s, but those are the standouts!

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ok i already mentioned god of war 3 intro

But theres another one that deserve to be mentioned

Modern Warfare 2 Sheperd betrayal

Something about that part is very sad and heartbreaking for me the first time i saw it

Last edited:

Georome

Playing through Super Mario 3D World with my son, 5 at the time. After weeks of playing here and there, we make it all the way to the end and he says, "Now we get to rescue the dragon!" I then realized that the whole game, he thought the goal was to save Bowser from the princess.

Last edited:

Burnttips

Phantasy Star 3. The town that had the hidden dungeon in the Southwest part of the town. I thought it was outside of town. I spent like 20 hours looking for it.

lingpanda

Experiencing Sound Blaster Audio for the first time

Going from CGA graphics to EGA

Online gameplay

The Sega CD reveal

Super Mario World first play through

Super Mario 64 reveal

Controlling ROB the robot

GAMEBOY!!!

3DO Envious of those that had one

Phillips CD-I Next-gen gaming :)

PS1 controller - felt revolutionary to use

PS2 - Tekken Tag good memories

Moving from CRT to flat panels

Wireless mice

BBS gaming

Power Glove reveal

SMB3 reveal

Beating Metal Gear on NES in one playthrough

Beating Mike Tyson on NES Punchout

I could go on and on.... too many memories.

Fredrik

Near heart attack from dogs jumping through the windows in Resident Evil 1 😱

Super Metroid final boss fight, revived and super charged by the baby 🤯

Brothers A tale of two sons, no explanation needed 😭

Arthur Morgan, everything ❤️

H4ze

Thanks all for sharing, I always find it to be quit difficult to pick out some special moments and I don't think
I need to write the same stuff again like you guys did xD

I love reading threads like this one, always makes me feel somewhat happy <3

What's so incredible about the Aeris scene is then you have the boss battle right on the heels of it... and then after that triumph, you return to your previous mood.

That is a really special section of that game.
The first piano key had me dead... and the Jenova fight, that always had its own techno theme, just had the Aeris theme playing through... I fought this battle through a curtain of fucking water!

I was 13, goddamit, games shouldn't do something like this to a teenage heart!

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 7. At one point my friend and I are going through the world map on the Highwind and see this red thing in the sand near the Golden Saucer.
”What’s that?” asks my friend.
”Huh. Dunno, must be a sand worm”.
We ram the sand worm with the Highwind.
It’s motherfucking Ruby Weapon and it obliterates us in seconds.

anothertech

In our local pizza place, I remember the day they got the original mario smash arcade cabinet. My very first button arcade cabinet. I remember the satisfying click of the red buttons. The arcade stick was only 4 way but felt perfect. I was about 7. The noise it made when I put a quarter in still rings in my ears.

It was an addition to the pong dual screen they had before it. I liked that game too but was kinda young to play on my own. My dad played pong with me sometimes. But mario smash was my first true game experience. I couldn't believe how realistic the characters looked when they jumped and how the animation synced perfectly with the jumping sound. It blew my 7 year old mind.

Similar experience when double dragon arcade cabinet came to the same pizza place.

Years later when I brought famicom home from asia I couldn't believe I could play double dragon on my tv at home. It was quite inferior of course to the arcade counterpart, but mind blown all the same.

Last edited:

Nyxir

Just remembered the first time I played wolfenstein 3d. Going from 2D to 1st prison did something to my 9 years old brain my English can’t describe it 😂

SpartanN92

Banned
*Exiting the drop ship and seeing the Halo ring above me in CE.
*My first game of Halo 2 multiplayer
*Two Scarabs in Halo 3
*The pod drop in ODST
*Objective: Survive in Halo Reach
*Walking through the cave and seeing Requiem open up in the second level of Halo 4.
*Excruciating disappointment in every moment of Halo 5

Last edited:
There's too many to post -
  • When graphics on a home PC first became a thing, going from monochrome text to simple CGA graphics was mind blowing
  • First home consoles with light guns and multiplayer e.g. playing with all the family
  • Game swapping, basic coding and home audio on C64/Amiga
  • Wolfenstein 3D spreading through schools and friends like wildfire, as well as basic mods/skins/hacks becoming mainstream
  • PC LANs to play DOOM, Hexen etc
  • Arcades being really popular and a daily thing after school
  • Gaming magazines and guide being brought to school to swap and chat over
  • SMB on NES
  • SFII at home arcade on SNES
  • Multitap bomberman on SNES
  • CD-Rom being introduced e.g. Wing Commander
  • Dial-up modems at home for multiplayer e.g. Diablo
  • 3D and analogue controller with Mario on N64
  • 4 player coop on N64 e.g. Party, Kart
  • Halo CE on Xbox, that twin stick and console ease of use goodness
  • Halo 2 online, changed everything
  • Halo 3 theatre and forge/customs

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
- Seeing Soul Calibur on Dreamcast for the first time at E3 1999.
- Creating my first character in Phantasy Star Online.
- Seeing the intro of Y's Book II on Turbo CD for the first time.

EruditeHobo

The first piano key had me dead... and the Jenova fight, that always had its own techno theme, just had the Aeris theme playing through... I fought this battle through a curtain of fucking water!

Oh you're so right... the Aeris theme as boss battle! That was so intense. "For Aeris!!!"
What an excellent moment. I don't know if the game got any better than that.
That said we could probably list so many, just from FF7 alone.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Entire ending of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I probably shouldn’t even comment much on it; words wont do it justice to explain what it meant and still means to me

ManaByte

Taking an Xbox home the weekend before launch to play through Halo and loading a save from the HDD and seeing it load up almost instantly.

People spooging over SSDs forget that was done in 2001.

mrMUR_96

• The last of us intro
  • RDR1 ending
  • Playing gta iv for the first time and being blown away by the physics (swingset glitch, destroying the tail rotor on helicopters)
  • GTA:SA flying car cheat
  • Journey (the ending specifically was incredible)
  • Bioshock - entrance to city and ending twist
  • Bioshock infinite - Intro sequence
  • Crysis 1 - The sunrise at the ridge
  • Cod 4 nuke scene
  • MGS2 colonel ai codec sequence
  • Mortal kombat first fatality

Top Bottom