• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What hard skills do you possess, that could help assist in game development?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Product management, Jira Admin plus anything Atlassian based, data and telemetry. QA if need be (iv done it before in the industry).

All the boring shit essentially.

Last edited:

SCB3

I have a Games Development Degree, so that?

In all honestly, Physics based Math, Software Dev skills, patience and the ability to say no are vital in Software Dev, more so in Games Dev

Krathoon

I can program. I have been digging into Godot lately.

It is much easier to get into game development than it used to be.

You don't have to roll your own anymore. There is an actual path to learning things.

Krathoon

One thing that I have found, is that it is better to get some projects under your belt before you go to a game jam.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Directing, writing, management, marketing, community management

Can't code but have a good tech understanding, I think I could understand development pipelines if I got into it.

Ridaxan

Product Development, Delivery and Management. lol. But game dev sounds exceedingly tougher than what I do on the daily.

Zannegan

Englishy things: writing, story direction, characterization, revision.

I'm also pretty good at managing creative circles (ex. workshops) and fostering collaboration.

Last edited:

cireza

Nearly 15 years of IT experience as developer, OPS, functional analyst, support and now team leader with a Lean certification.

On my free time, I am "good" enough to make by myself 8 bits games entirely (game-design, planing, coding, story, pixel-art, music etc...). The beauty of 8 bits consoles is that you can get away with average skills like me haha.

Trying to make this a more active part of my life, but the road is going to be very long lol.

Last edited:

Griffon

Having taste and a great culture of games is the first skill you need.

If you have no taste, how do you know that the game you're making isn't shit?

I’m good at MoCapp’n stupid dances. We could put them in every game we make because the kids will love it and memes are all that matter.

Last edited:

SHA

Bringing the same emersion we had back in the 90s, it's not hard, just bring passionate devs who are willing to take risks themselves and not by force cause the outcome is definitely different and there is no business phrase for that, it's common knowledge.

StereoVsn

Software and Infrastructure architecture, security design and assessment, cloud services architecture and design; implementation of these and of course normal IT stuff, such as scripting, networking, etc...

Edit: There is no way I would work in gaming industry though unless I had absolutely no other choice. Crap hours, meh salaries, and so on.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

I have no game creation skills but if there was a job for someone who made suggestions like “wouldn’t it be good if smoke came out of the exhaust/tail pipe?” Or “what if you could see people entering the stadium and finding their seats?” Or “what if the crowd reacted to a bad crash?” - that sort of detail stuff. That’s what I’d be good at. So basically being a pedant and giving the programmers more work.

envyzeal

CPR, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, team and hospital (studio?) management.
Portuguese, English, Spanish and basic Japanese. Plus, Latino quota.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Eons ago, I studied animation and have worked with it before switching to business. On that end:

- Concept
- Writing
- Rough Draft
- Character models / designs (if it's something like GT7)
- Animatics

On the business side:

- Marketing PR
- Consulting dev team & fanbase for effective data for adverts and appealing demos for conventions / events
- Hitting deadlines and understanding proper PR timelines. Nothing worse than over or undershooting with PR. There've been some great games which had demo trailers but ended up getting cancelled. Producing trailers isn't cheap and that could be avoided if there was any hesitation prior from the team.

Tough business no matter which area you pick. I salute those who've stuck with it and have tenure.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not enough purple hair, obesity and pronoun catalogues in here. Team is lacking.

I used to create maps for CS, UrT and team up to make TCMs back in the day. I'm probably useful in a support capacity for coding (c++/c#/typescript) but only as an alt, not a main.

If there are any romance scenes that need mocapping, I can do them. Cis only though. And I'm the guy.
Not sure if recruiting would assist in game development but if so, I think we know where all that sweat, grease, clown haired-type would end up working with. Keep them away from IPs which have not yet been destroyed.

Mooreberg

3DS Max
Zbrush
Design Documentation

I take it the Maya tutorials I am sitting on have some intrinsic value - the cost of an "Animation Mentor" certificate (?) is highway robbery. Hooray for broke ass states desperate to keep "knowledge workers" from fleeing for less destitute pastures.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Oh, I forgot! I know uipath so I can automate a good chunk of the backend office processes as well as the QA stuff.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Finance.

By the looks at how game companies are run into the ground, it's like most of them have no idea about money and budgets.

Scotty W

I am an expert on anti-racism.

Garibaldi

C based dev for 22 years. Used to build my own engines back during my university days. I'm gonna say during the DirectX 7 days. Those times are a little fuzzy now. I've also got about a decade of leading other devs and project management skills.

I'd rather pull my own teeth than work in games Dev nowadays. I vastly prefer not working myself to the bone for something that 70-80% of the time consumers piss and moan about instantly.

Last edited:

elbourreau

I'm working on almost everything concerning The Bounds VR except programming, advanced sound design and music . I'm not top-notch on every department, but quite confident right now.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
From reading through all these posts there would appear to be enough skills to put together a small independent game studio... I assume a lot of you guys are actually in game development or maybe where at some point, if so is there a reason it's not made prominent under one's username?? It is a game site after all or is it because gamers can be simultaneously the most interesting of creatures and absolute ballbag cunt fuckers and you don't want to shine a light on yourself for the morons to be attracted too?

As for skills, I can come into a room and call everyone a cunt

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
i arm known for my industry predictions

Psybear.jpg

Thaedolus

I have a knack for knowing why a game sucks or why a game is good. I’m basically Shigeru Miyamoto, so if you’re hiring PM me

Currently director of a development department, have experience being a Manager and team Lead. Also many years experience programming.

But all of this for software development not game development. I have always been curious if this translates well at all.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Not sure if recruiting would assist in game development but if so, I think we know where all that sweat, grease, clown haired-type would end up working with. Keep them away from IPs which have not yet been destroyed.
Coming soon

God of Peace: Ragged off my cock

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Coding (C and various archaic assembly languages), game design, narrative design/writing, team management, production, biz-dev and PR.
Many published titles, across every major platform and for every major publisher/platform holder.

Top Bottom