• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What hard skills do you possess, that could help assist in game development?

kiphalfton

Whether it's writing, directing, acting, computer based modeling, programming, art, etc.?

Don't need to be expert class in it, but competent enough.

Curious what skills the typical person here has, that they think could potentially translate to working on developing a game?

Last edited:

Paasei

Music.

I have a great imagination, but I wouldn’t have a clue how to translate that into a game other than just talking about it and putting my ideas on the table.

Zuzu

I have a degree in philosophy so I think I could help to add depth to video game story's that use and explore philosophical themes and concepts. Unfortunately, lots of games and movies are very shallow when they explore various popular disciplines and topics in philosophy. In particular free will and determinism and moral theory regularly pop up in games and movies, but from the games/movies I've watched/played the writers almost always lack a deep understanding of the academic literature in these fields (I can't think of a game or movie that has a good understanding of the scholarship of studies into free will tbh).

Last edited:

Ogbert

Hand to hand combat. Semi-aquatic terrain vehicle
proficiency. Absailing badge (with own rope).

Grade three flute.

IAmRei

I'm game developer my self, small indie. I'm in charge of game design, visual artist, character designer, mecha designer, environment direction, and sometimes assisting in story or narrative, world building.

Killjoy-NL

I was a martial arts teacher, which helped me learn character animation in Dreams.
It would also help me a lot if I would decide to use game-engines on PC.

At least, as far as combat animations are concerned.
It basically was like teaching martial arts to the perfect student(s). I just needed to make sure they would do everything exactly as I wanted them to.

(Then again, it's amateur-level at best)

Markio128

If I did work within the gaming industry, I’d enjoy concept/game design/writing. Sometimes I do feel like my imagination is wasted.

CGNoire

3d modeling, Animation, Special Effects Work, Painting, Music Production, Writing, Some Coding, Level Design Experience, 2D animation as well.

Working on about 10 different Personal Projects across multiple engines at the moment with a Number of Working Prototypes under my belt.

Shifty1897

Programming and Project Management. I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help at all in the art / music side of things.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only actual experience that I have is in project management and technical support, but I could also do QA, writing and concept art if given a chance to refine these skills.

I also have vast experience in complaining about video games on the internet so that has to be good for something!

midnightAI

I'm game developer my self, small indie. I'm in charge of game design, visual artist, character designer, mecha designer, environment direction, and sometimes assisting in story or narrative, world building.
Ditto

Started as a pixel artist back in the Amiga days (was in several demoscene groups), now less pixel art but more airbrush style computer art. Also a PHP web programmer during the day so the switch to C# wasn't hard. Also design my own games but I like to stick to old school such as shoot em ups.

IAmRei

Ditto

Started as a pixel artist back in the Amiga days (was in several demoscene groups), now less pixel art but more airbrush style computer art. Also a PHP web programmer during the day so the switch to C# wasn't hard. Also design my own games but I like to stick to old school such as shoot em ups.
My first game also shoot em up, old gameplay with twist of customization. Failed as commercial, but i learnt lot of game development because of it :')

Pelao

I mean, I used to literally be a game designer and I've worked on dozens of games that have been released, but all of them were very small projects (Although several of them were contracts for major companies within the industry).
But I switched careers more than half a decade ago and I don't plan to go back.

Last edited:
Programming, design, gameplay and atmosphere (direction in general)
Please if anyone here work on sprites, send me a pm then i can hire you.

3 guys quit the job and i have 3 projects stucked...

Last edited:

Three

Tech lead, developer and PM. That's about it. Don't have any qualifications or experience on anything else like level design, art, writing or monetisation.

cormack12

Gold Member
Not enough purple hair, obesity and pronoun catalogues in here. Team is lacking.

I used to create maps for CS, UrT and team up to make TCMs back in the day. I'm probably useful in a support capacity for coding (c++/c#/typescript) but only as an alt, not a main.

If there are any romance scenes that need mocapping, I can do them. Cis only though. And I'm the guy.

Deerock71

The ability to say the game is not ready yet, and should not be released.
Sean Connery GIF by James Bond 007

Top Bottom