• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is the most important video game of the 21st century.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
what do you think is the most influential and important video game of the 21st century? (has to be a game that has came out since Jan 1. 2000)

Raven117

Probably Fortnight with a close second being Minecraft. This showed a different side of gamers (ie, mass casual folks) that is somewhat family friendly.

GTAV as well just for how massive video game entertainment can be.

rm082e

"Important" is a bit squishy. We could take that a few different ways:

If you mean influential, I would say Minecraft. Not because it's sold the most units, but it was the first game I can think of that became it's own platform. We could point to WOW, but that got regular expansions and extra content added. COD gets yearly releases, so it's more like they managed to take the sports game model and successfully apply it to an FPS. We could also point to Dota2 for establishing the Battlepass as a way for F2P games to make ongoing revenue. Fortnite copied their homework and became the hottest game around. But Minecraft managed to take over the world by....being Minecraft. All the stuff Microsoft has tried to do with it since they bought it seems like it's failed, but people still love the vanilla Minecraft experience. That still amazes me.

If you mean important for personal preferences, I would go with Demon's Souls. It was the proof-of-concept for everything From Software has done since, and that's been the biggest shift for me personally.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
stellar blade

no-nooo.gif

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Up till the last year or so I'd probably have said Call of Duty, but they've somehow managed to run that franchise into the ground with little care. GTA would probably be my pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 Pro blows all sales expectations out of the water as the single best place to play the new GTA when it drops in spite of everyone (DF and people in GAF and other spots) saying how little it's needed or wanted.

Soodanim

Importance is an open ended concept.

In terms of influence on game design, GTA3 and RE4 posts are correct.

In terms of popularity, long term financial gain and the ramifications of their success, it's hard to argue against Minecraft and Fortnite. Both have all but transcended platforms at this point and exist either separate to or above and beyond the rest of the gaming industry.

In terms of pure financial success, is GTA5/Online still the record holder?

hinch7

World of Warcraft. Was an online phenomenon that took the world by storm. It was huge. You could make the arguement that this spearheaded not only the online movement in gaming and its popularity but also how the general public perceives gaming then and now.

If we're talking influential, Assassins Creed. Laid the groundworks for design in a lot of titles and projects.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Importance is an open ended concept.

In terms of influence on game design, GTA3 and RE4 posts are correct.

In terms of popularity, long term financial gain and the ramifications of their success, it's hard to argue against Minecraft and Fortnite. Both have all but transcended platforms at this point and exist either separate to or above and beyond the rest of the gaming industry.

In terms of pure financial success, is GTA5/Online still the record holder?
nothing is more financially successful than cod. gta5 has sold 200 million because its been out for 11 years as the only GTA game. every CoD game sells 20 million minimum every year at full price. Plus their mobile game which brings in 2 billion a year and billion dollar warzone since 2020.

Last edited:

Soodanim

nothing is more financially successful than cod. gta5 has sold 200 million because its been out for 11 years as the only GTA game. CoD sells 20 million minimum every year at full price. Plus their mobile game which brings in 2 billion a year and billion dollar warzone since 2020.
Do you know if any of those single games made more money than GTA5?

Its GTA 3 because it has sustained its impact for 20+ years.

There was a time when WOW would have taken this title, but WOW style MMORPGs are just not the thing that they once were. Fortnite and battle royal games are still relatively new (2017ish) so it remains to be seen just how long they will be a thing.

Meanwhile, 20+ years later and everyone is still chasing open world GTA style gameplay.

Last edited:
Whichever was the first Match 3 colors game on Cell phone.
You would think no other form of gameplay exists when browsing app stores.

DrFigs

I think its Call of Duty. Every game wanted to be a multiplayer military shooter after it. It spearheaded the drive to add tact-on multiplayer modes in the 2010's, DLC maps, season passes, etc.
Pubg is probably a close second though because of the Battle Royale craze now.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Can’t give just 1, too many genres.

GTA 3
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 4
The Last of Us
Halo
Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls
Skyrim
GTA 5
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
World of Warcraft
Fortnite

Others: Gears of War, Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed, Left 4 Dead, Deus Ex, KOTOR

Top Bottom