• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think about coining the phrase "Cinematic Shooter"?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I recently made a thread about the bygone era of (mostly) linear first person shooters and how in recent years they were almost entirely replaced by GaaS, open world, or some other hybrid genres that generally moved away from the kind of shooters that we'd used to get in abundance. One of the things that became pretty apparent throughout the discussion is that it was difficult to convey exactly what kind of a game I was talking about because many people seemed to have a different idea by bringing up indie boomer shooters, or straight up questioning what the hell was I talking about. The only definitive thing that can be used to identify the style that I had in mind is that it was in its absolute prime during the seventh generation of consoles.

But after thinking about it for a while, I think I came up with a pretty solid definition for the kind of shooters that I have in mind here. Take note of the fact that this definition may apply to both first AND third person shooters alike.

A "cinematic shooter" is the kind of game that emphasizes a linear story campaign with cinematic elements as its main selling point. These games feature mostly linear, and occasionally more open-ended level design that prioritizes objective-based progression, action-packed set-pieces with a mix of meticulously directed and scripted sequences, and a blend of shooting mechanics, turret or vehicle sections, light puzzles, and (optionally) some light upgrade mechanics or gadgets/gimmicks (eg. bullet time, cover shooting, physics guns, special attacks, etc.)

This definition would imply a focus on delivering a visually impressive and immersive experience with a mix of intense combat encounters and scripted sequences, packed together into a 6-12 hour story campaign with additional gameplay modes included separately, such as co-op, multiplayer, challenge scenarios, etc. By nature, it should be a visually impressive, "cinematic" spectacle which typically involves triple-A production values and budget, although there have been some third party studios that have been able to deliver such an experience on slightly lower budgets.

Typical examples of a "cinematic shooter" would include:
Gears of War
Killzone
Halo
Uncharted
Resistance
Crysis
Titanfall 2
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bruce Willis GIF

amigastar

Not really into them, thats why i'm excited for the System Shock remake.
But i don't have a problem with them, if someone enjoys them hey more power to you.

Last edited:

radewagon

"Cinematic" is a trigger word for a lot of gamers, so, I'd say it's likely a no go, but IMO it's fine. It's a good enough genre label for what you describe though I don't think it shouldn't include third-person games as those have other labels that would fit more appropriately.

gothmog

Gold Member
Just call it Haloduty or something like that. People will understand what you mean better than cinematic shooter or whatever.

Wildebeest

They are not really cinematic at all, since cinematic requires certain sorts of camera work, which don't work well in games. Shots that give a sort of powerful voyeuristic overview or fantastical perspective on what is happening, rather than a limited and fixed perspective. I think they are designed more based on theme park rides or something.

"Cinematic" is a trigger word for a lot of gamers, so, I'd say it's likely a no go, but IMO it's fine. It's a good enough genre label for what you describe though I don't think it shouldn't include third-person games as those have other labels that would fit more appropriately.
Because of ignorance. It usually is used by someone who didn't play the game, but only saw cutscenes on YouTube and wrongly come to the conclusion that's the entirety of the game.

These people often equate any game having a quality story or voice acting as "cinematic".

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Wait, you're coining the term right now, in this thread, as we speak? You're telling me a new genre of games is being defined in this very thread, at this very moment? I'm watching history unfold before me is what you're saying? Holy Fucking shit dude this is yuuge!!!!!!!!!1

Drizzlehell

Banned
They are not really cinematic at all, since cinematic requires certain sorts of camera work, which don't work well in games. Shots that give a sort of powerful voyeuristic overview or fantastical perspective on what is happening, rather than a limited and fixed perspective. I think they are designed more based on theme park rides or something.
"Cinematic" in video games isn't meant to be taken literally. It's more about evoking the sense of spectacle, striking visual style, immersive storytelling, etc. A game like God of War, for example, is very cinematic even when you're in full control of the action.

Wildebeest

"Cinematic" in video games isn't meant to be taken literally. It's more about evoking the sense of spectacle, striking visual style, immersive storytelling, etc. A game like God of War, for example, is very cinematic even when you're in full control of the action.
So it is more about feelings and perceptions of prestige or big budget than accurately talking about anything? I already knew.

Wildebeest

Well, no, you can find plenty of accuracy in the OP.
But we can easily see that what makes a great cinematic spectacle is different from what makes a first-person shooter a spectacle. A genre defining spectacle in first person shooters is the start of Half-Life where you are literally locked in a tram riding through a base. A genre defining spectacle in cinema is the shower scene in psycho where, yes, we are in a way locked in the shower observing, but the camera jumps to all sorts of angles from the voyeuristic shots of a woman showering to a close-up of the shower head, to a perspective of the knife stabbing downward, to an extreme close-up of a mouth screaming, and more.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
But we can easily see that what makes a great cinematic spectacle is different from what makes a first-person shooter a spectacle. A genre defining spectacle in first person shooters is the start of Half-Life where you are literally locked in a tram riding through a base. A genre defining spectacle in cinema is the shower scene in psycho where, yes, we are in a way locked in the shower observing, but the camera jumps to all sorts of angles from the voyeuristic shots of a woman showering to a close-up of the shower head, to a perspective of the knife stabbing downward, to an extreme close-up of a mouth screaming, and more.
So what's your point exactly?

Like I said, cinematic style in a video game doesn't mean that it has to play out exactly like a movie. Final escape from an exploding ship in Halo is very cinematic, for example. Fighting Boss in MGS3 is also very cinematic. Hell, everything about the Metal Gear series is.

SeraphJan

Because of ignorance. It usually is used by someone who didn't play the game, but only saw cutscenes on YouTube and wrongly come to the conclusion that's the entirety of the game.

These people often equate any game having a quality story or voice acting as "cinematic".
You've nailed it

I would like to expand, even if the game was cinematic, as long as it had good gameplay to drive it, its not a bad thing but a plus, it makes the player actually care about the character they are playing, thus enhanced the gameplay.

This video kind of tackle this debate in a constructive manner:

Last edited:
You've nailed it

I would like to expand, even if the game was cinematic, as long as it had good gameplay to drive it, its not a bad thing but a plus, it makes the player actually care about the character they are playing, thus enhanced the gameplay.

Yeah, I don't consider God of War or The Last of Us cinematic. I consider Until Dawn and Heavy Rain cinematic. Both types can be good games in their own right. But the former are as much about gameplay as they are storytelling.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, I don't consider God of War or The Last of Us cinematic. I consider Until Dawn and Heavy Rain cinematic. Both types can be good games in their own right. But the former are as much about gameplay as they are storytelling.
Again, I don't think this accurately touches upon the meaning behind the term and why I thought it's a good way to describe the kind of games that I'm talking about. The examples that you provided are cinematic, sure, but only because they try to imitate an actual movie and only inserting some token interactive elements, mostly in the form of QTEs.

But what I had in mind is more in line with something like this:

This whole sequence is cinematic as fuck but you still retain control over your character through almost all of it - jumping around, shooting, driving vehicles, etc. You basically feel like you're playing through that chase sequence from Raiders of The Lost ark, and it's that visceral feeling of being in control of a cool movie-like action sequence that sets a more "cinematic" game from a more straightforward shooter. It puts emphasis on spectacle, careful scripting, cool setup for a scene, the dialogue that takes place during the action, the music etc., but at the same time you are in control and doing all of this awesome shit yourself.

Wildebeest

You've nailed it

That was a bad video. 15 minutes of rambling and stale dad jokes to get to the point that some people find the boring games he loves boring, but he doesn't, so they are great after all with a perfect balance of elements.

Typical examples of a "cinematic shooter" would include:
Gears of War
Killzone
Halo
Uncharted
Resistance
Crysis
Titanfall 2
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty
I'd say only Uncharted and CoD can stand on their own legs if converted to the cinema. Everything else is not up at actual cinema level without major rewrites and a director that really knows how to translate those fan fiction stories into something worthy of the big screen.

StueyDuck

I propose an alternate motion.

Let's fucking burn the word "cinematic" from gaming. It's only ever used as a derogatory term and it's pointless term in general. Majority of games are using cinematic techniques and post processed technologies in order to give the effect of a camera.

While we are at it can we burn "immersive" as well.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Let's fucking burn the word "cinematic" from gaming. It's only ever used as a derogatory term and it's pointless term in general. Majority of games are using cinematic techniques and post processed technologies in order to give the effect of a camera.

get-out-slap-dpd3u40zt5owwgxi.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You were talking about linear shooters, and we still get them. Maybe that’s why people were confused.

You’re creating this new term, and lumping in a bunch of games that are very different from one another.

Guilty_AI

I'll thus coin the term "Cinematic immersive sim" just to anger you

Drizzlehell

Banned
You were talking about linear shooters, and we still get them. Maybe that’s why people were confused.

You’re creating this new term, and lumping in a bunch of games that are very different from one another.
I'll admit that it's a bit of a nebulous definition but so is "immersive sim" or "roguelike" for example, and many people seem to be on board with those.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

No, because both of those are very descriptive.
Sure cinematic can be a derogatory term, because it’s dumbed down gaming, where the focus is on spectacle and showing a cut scene over actual gameplay mechanics.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'll admit that it's a bit of a nebulous definition but so is "immersive sim" or "roguelike" for example, and many people seem to be on board with those.

That’s because those are very clear terms. Someone says immersive sim than I know exactly that gameplay is a focus, and as a player I have multiple ways of completing an objective.

Rogue like immediately tells me the game has randomized aspects.

Cinematic shooter tells me it’s a dumbed down game with flashy movie scenes over gameplay. But those were always called linear shooters or even hallway shooters. Follow a set path and enjoy the flashy set piece moments.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s because those are very clear terms. Someone says immersive sim than I know exactly that gameplay is a focus, and as a player I have multiple ways of completing an objective.

Rogue like immediately tells me the game has randomized aspects.

Cinematic shooter tells me it’s a dumbed down game with flashy movie scenes over gameplay. But those were always called linear shooters or even hallway shooters. Follow a set path and enjoy the flashy set piece moments.
Yeah also shooter looter gives a clear idea of what type of game.

Top Bottom