• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What (direct) sequel was so good that it kinda made its predecessor obsolete?

Mr Blobby

I suppose it also depends on the order you play the games. I played the original System Shock first and can go back to that any time because, weirdly enough, I prefer the sprites to low poly monkeys. And it just oozes atmosphere. Same with Thief.
Most sports games in existence :messenger_grinning:
possibly a lot of sims as well

Just Cause 2 (haven't played the newer ones)
Civilization 2
Warcraft 2
Burnout 3
Jagged Alliance 2

StueyDuck

Jak 2

(only kidding, i love all 3 but i just wanna ruffle some feathers)

in all seriousness Timesplitters 2, so good that future perfect was almost not necessary

Robochobo

Knack 2
Think I See You GIF by BrownSugarApp

Vandole

Kingdom Hearts 2
Playing the first one after the sequel feels so bad (gameplay-wise)

Then, Birth by Sleep improved so much again, that all it’s mechanics stayed for later games.
As far as gameplay, you're right. The original Kingdom hearts, particularly the first half, is just messy. Level layouts and that damn camera are both so bad.

But as far as fan service I still think the game is still better for both Disney and Final Fantasy. They picked better Disney movies for the first game, and I think Final Fantasy was better represented. By the time they got to the sequel they were starting to craft the whole Kingdom hearts lore, which became a very special headache in its own right.

Kingdom Hearts 2 (in the gameplay department). The level design is plain and barren. The story is a mess if compared to the original KH game.

Last edited:

FStubbs

MegaMan 2
Call of Duty 4
Legend of Heroes 6 (Trails in the Sky)
Super Mario Brothers

Besides the all timer for this, Street Fighter 2.

Last edited:

Edder1

• Super Mario Bros. 3 (2 technically was not a sequel to 1)
• Sonic 2
• Street Fighter 2
• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
• Assassin's Creed 2
• Portal 2
• Titanfall 2

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Zone of the Enders 2 took a game that was bascially a 20 hour demo and made it a legit system defining game.

Borderlands 2 took a mediocre game and and it insanely good, 100x’s larger and layered on a fun story.

This thread made me think about games that also did the opposite, where a sequel didn’t do enough or made me miss the first game:

Deus Ex Human Revolution is a better game than Mankind Divided.

Borderlands 2 is a far better game than Borderlands 3

Final Fantasy 7 - 9 are far superior to all Final Fantasy’s that came after.

Corian33

Crusader Kings II - Infinitely more playable than the first and perhaps more interesting than the third.

Europa Universalis IV - We are way over due for V at this point, but this game took the prior concepts and made them accessible to the masses.

Mount and Blade: Warband - Makes the original look like a demo. Though I believe there were some cool mods that never crossed over. Too bad M&B 2 is mostly just a slightly prettier version of this game.

ARMA 3 - Still janky but much better than what came before and I believe you can replay most of the original missions within it.

YuLY

Assassin's Creed 2 was huge back in 2009.
Probably one of the best answers you could give. Literally an improvement in all aspects. II and Brotherhood are still the best AC games they ever made. Wish Patrice didnt bitch and leave to make a monkey game.

YuLY

Deus Ex Human Revolution is a better game than Mankind Divided.
Not by much tho. They both have better aspects, for example the MD hub n Prague is better than Detroit and Hengsha as quest hubs. But the first had better soundtrack. MD has the better gameplay with more options, but the first has better atmosphere and story. At the same time, MD has "The Harvester" quest...doing that detective work through the heavy rain in prague at night...

I could go on lol. Two masterpieces, they are very close, but yea I would slightly give the edge to HR. Literally my 3rd and 4th fav games of all time only behind ME1 and ME2.

Last edited:

intbal

Rallisport Challenge 2

Better in every way.
The only benefit to the first game is that it's still playable to more people. It's available on PC and was included in the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility list. The sequel is stuck on Original Xbox.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not by much tho. They both have better aspects, for example the MD hub n Prague is better than Detroit and Hengsha as quest hubs. But the first had better soundtrack. MD has the better gameplay with more options, but the first has better atmosphere and story. At the same time, MD has "The Harvester" quest...

I could go on lol. Two masterpieces, they are very close, but yea I would slightly give the edge to HR. Literally my 3rd and 4th fav games of all time only behind ME1 and ME2.
Oh I agree, they are both masterpieces, and I badly want game 3, but I was just pointing out HR is a better game than MD (thanks to the atmosphere and story primarily) and one I go back to more.

Topher

Gold Member
The gameplay aspects of TLOU 2 were a huge jump from TLOU, imo.

Everspace 2 made the first game entirely forgettable.

Witcher 2, also.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Probably one of the best answers you could give. Literally an improvement in all aspects. II and Brotherhood are still the best AC games they ever made. Wish Patrice didnt bitch and leave to make a monkey game.
Still mad at him lmao he goofed away for 9 years and did the monkey thing. Still holding out hope for 1666.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The thread isn't what made an IP obsolete, its about what sequel made its predecessor obsolete though.

What does Days Gone have to do with Syphon Filter outside of the developer?
Days Gone is a direct sequel to the events of the Syphon Filter.

It’s explained in Days Gone that the freakers were created from the biological weapon named Syphon Filter. Logan is also mentioned documents as he was trying to protect the world from it, but if you played the last game you would know he died which his dying triggered the current events.

fatmarco

Days Gone is a direct sequel to the events of the Syphon Filter.

It’s explained in Days Gone that the freakers were created from the biological weapon named Syphon Filter. Logan is also mentioned documents as he was trying to protect the world from it, but if you played the last game you would know he died which his dying triggered the current events.
Omg lol. I didn't know this. I played the original trilogy on ps1 so I was totally unaware hahaha.

Trilobit

Sly Raccoon 2 vs 1. Going non-linear and open world was the right choice to make. Great level design throughout and made it feel like an adventure everytime you went outside the safehouse. Can't say the same about Jak 2 which had a stinky transportation system between levels. I much preferred the first Jak game.

Oh, and SSX 3!

Last edited:
Top Bottom