• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What (direct) sequel was so good that it kinda made its predecessor obsolete?

Jak 2

(only kidding, i love all 3 but i just wanna ruffle some feathers)

in all seriousness Timesplitters 2, so good that future perfect was almost not necessary
The big thing Future Perfect had that was an improvement was better aiming. TS2 is so good but I hate that Goldeneye style aiming

Days Gone is a direct sequel to the events of the Syphon Filter.

It’s explained in Days Gone that the freakers were created from the biological weapon named Syphon Filter. Logan is also mentioned documents as he was trying to protect the world from it, but if you played the last game you would know he died which his dying triggered the current events.
Whaaat!? Oh shit I may have to go play them now.

I thought it was the other way around. That Bend wanted to make a Days Gone sequel and have it directly connect to Syphon Filter. But I guess this is basically the same thing.

dulleyes

Banned
Uncharted 2, the topic.
Fewer games are as well paced as UC2 today than ever before.

UC2 was a game you could pick up, beat, and play it all over again because of how well paced the game is.

UC4's being the absolute worse with downtime, and UC3 being so fast paced that hardly anything makes sense by the end of it.

Pejo

Nioh 2 outclasses the first one in almost every metric. I preferred the story of the first one with William, but everything else was improved and expanded.

Codes 208

-Smb3
-halo 3 (halo 2 as well for that matter)
-gears 2
-budokai 3
-pokemon gold/silver
-gow2
-dark souls (to demon souls)
-cod4

Varteras

Gold Member
I really don't know that there's been a game that so thoroughly removed the existence of previous entries from peoples' minds like Grand Theft Auto 3.

Fewer games are as well paced as UC2 today than ever before.

UC2 was a game you could pick up, beat, and play it all over again because of how well paced the game is.

UC4's being the absolute worse with downtime, and UC3 being so fast paced that hardly anything makes sense by the end of it.
Which was such a shame because the actual combat of UC4 was really awesome at times in the larger areas. It’s just not that much of the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed
Xenosaga Episode 2
Star Ocean 3 Till The End of Time
Persona 4
Fable II
Mass Effect 2
Yokai Watch 3
Witcher 2/3
Suikoden III
Final Fantasy 9
Breath of Fire 4
Ar Tonelico II
Tales of The Abyss
Trails to the Sky SC
Trails To Azure
Trails of Cold Steel III
Steamworld Dig 2
Luigi Mansion 3
Bravely Default 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Grandia 2
Nier Automata
Psychonauts 2
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Valkryria Chronicles 4
Zero Escape Virtue's Last Reward
Zero Time Dilemma

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Langrisser-Hikari-II-Tactical-RPG-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Xtreme-Retro-1.png

Guilty_AI

I was just thinking about how nobody even thinks about the top down GTA games, ever.
I do. GTA 2's game systems remain unmatched among GTA games. Not only it had multiple factions each with their own reputation where you could go up their ladder or become mortal enemies with, you could also quite literally beat the game doing the thing gta is famous for in the first place. Causing mayhem.

Banned
saying TotK makes BotW obsolete is wild to me... especially since IMO after playing it for a long time now, I kinda think BotW is the better game overall 🤷‍♂️

making a game obsolete would mean that there is no reason to go back to the first one... and that's rare.
I think the only games that would qualify are games that really just replace everything with a better version, and not an alternative version.

so maybe SF3 Third Strike makes the 2 other versions of SF3 obsolete.

I can't think of many other examples other than similar situations where the new game is literally just the exact same but enhanced... Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 vs Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 and stuff like that.

Mokus

I was just thinking about how nobody even thinks about the top down GTA games, ever.
I played GTA2 before the GTA3 in 2000 and I remember really liking it. Now, after finishing almost all the sequels since the GTA3 multiple times on multiple systems, it is too painful to go back and trying to finish the first two installments.

Regginator

saying TotK makes BotW obsolete is wild to me... especially since IMO after playing it for a long time now, I kinda think BotW is the better game overall 🤷‍♂️

making a game obsolete would mean that there is no reason to go back to the first one... and that's rare.
I think the only games that would qualify are games that really just replace everything with a better version, and not an alternative version.

so maybe SF3 Third Strike makes the 2 other versions of SF3 obsolete.

I can't think of many other examples other than similar situations where the new game is literally just the exact same but enhanced... Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 vs Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 and stuff like that.

Why is that wild? It's okay to prefer BOTW over TOTK (though why is beyond me) but you can literally do everything in TOTK that you can do in BOTW in addition to a million more things.

So by the very definition of obsolete BOTW is made obsolete. If you like exploring a self-contained Hyrule with your trusty steed or your good ol' feet, you can still do that in TOTK.

Unless you prefer some specific things that have been removed in TOTK, like the Guardians, Revali's Gale, the Divine Beasts, or whatever, then sure, but mechanically speaking TOTK does everything BOTW does + a whole bunch more.

ShadowNate

Warcraft 2
Freespace 2
Assassins' Creed II
Hitman 2 (from the original series)
Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem
Team Fortress 2

Hudo

Good question!

At the top of my head:

Age of Empires II made Age of Empires obsolete
Civilization II made all the other Civs obsolete, including the newer ones (except Alpha Centauri)
WarCraft II made WarCraft I obsolete
Worms Armageddon made all the previous Worms games obsolete
Warhammer: Dark Omen made Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat obsolete (fight me on this)
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 made the first one obsolete (RCT2 is essentially the same game with more things)
Street Fighter II made the first one obsolete
GTA 2 made the first one obsolete

I think it's mostly heavily gameplay-focused games where that occurs. It's harder with games that have story-elements to it. For example, I do think Max Payne 2 plays better than the first one but I wouldn't say it made the first one obsolete.

Hudo

HoMM3. It was so good that it not only made predecessors obsolete, but also made any sequel unnecessary and doomed to failure.
I would agree with you but there is a sizable subset of the HoMM fanbase that would argue that HoMM 2 is different enough from HoMM 3 that it can't be necessarily replaced by it.

Banned
Why is that wild? It's okay to prefer BOTW over TOTK (though why is beyond me) but you can literally do everything in TOTK that you can do in BOTW in addition to a million more things.

So by the very definition of obsolete BOTW is made obsolete. If you like exploring a self-contained Hyrule with your trusty steed or your good ol' feet, you can still do that in TOTK.

Unless you prefer some specific things that have been removed in TOTK, like the Guardians, Revali's Gale, the Divine Beasts, or whatever, then sure, but mechanically speaking TOTK does everything BOTW does + a whole bunch more.

I would say A: the shrines were way more imaginative, varied and fun in BotW.
which is most likely down to the fact that the Sheikah Slate abilities were just way better suited for interesting puzzles.

B: the devine beasts were better designed than the temples in TotK, and while they did add dungeon-like paths whenever you go to a temple, which were a great idea, the temples themselves were pretty meh.

C: there's way less sens of adventure due to the ability to basically just fly across the whole map right from the start.
I get that they did that most likely to accommodate players of BotW, so that there's a sense of progression from one to the other, it still made the world feel less special in a way.

D: going back to the sheikah slate abilities, these not only made for more interesting puzzles than the arm abilities in TotK, but were also just way more fun and useful to use in battle. but that's also true for the special abilities you get after each beast as compared to the ones you get after the temples of TotK.

E: TotK feels almost bloated. there's just way too much going on everywhere, it's getting dangerously close to feeling like a Ubisoft game, where BotW was way more focused.
that's most likely a side effect of it being so similar and of it reusing almost everything from BotW.
Nintendo clearly had to compensate for that by just adding more of everything. but IMO what made BotW so appealing is the simplicity and the fact that almost everything in the game was designed with free roaming exploration in mind.

so in my opinion there's a lot that makes BotW more appealing than TotK.

I would recommend everyone to not play TotK first and instead absolutely play BotW.

Top Bottom