• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite mobile games? (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)

Lebneney

Banned
Hey GAF, I've been wanting to ask this for a while, but it also made me think and consider which games I really enjoy using a touchscreen to play and what constitutes a great mobile game. I've made a list of ones that I frequent and enjoy and hope to show you all some hidden gems (even though the +100 million downloads indicator means you've probably seen it). Mobile games hold a very interesting place in our society because it gives us a casual out from real life and allows us to clash a clan or mine a world for resources with or without friends. Sometimes some mobile games are more ornate than that and allow us to get lost in its world and that's an incredible feat for a mobile game, in my opinion.

So GAF, what are your favorite mobile games, these can include ports of games that are on PC or consoles and they can be on any mobile device including tablets?

Here are some of my favorites:
Hearthstone iOS + Android [FREE] (some might say p2w, but invest A LOT of time and you're good)

G2OKRU48VRL71428959630793.jpg

No surprise here, great port of a fun game. Runs flawlessly on my iPad, sad my phone gets rather warm when running it.

Guitar Hero Live iOS [$19.99] (does not require guitar controller, but highly recommended)
guitar-hero-live-100614133-large.png

Okay this one is cheating a little bit because you need to have a Guitar Hero Live controller, but as a "mobile" option, it's a heck of a lot of fun, especially if you don't want to buy it for the consoles. One gripe about it is that the online mode is bare bones, but it lets me play their music library, so yay!

∞ Infinity Loop iOS + Android [FREE]
screen520x924.jpeg

This game is straight up addictive. I sometimes go in wanting to just play a couple of levels, but then it sucks me in for sometimes an hour. Something about it is super mesmerizing.

GeoGuessr iOS [FREE]
screen520x924.jpeg

This is actually a web browser game that was made into an application as well. It's a fun pass and play game because it's just really interesting to just see how diverse the world is and where that Google car has been. Unfortunately it's not on Android, but there is a very similar application called GeoWhere on Android.

Fotonica iOS + Android [$2.99]
header.jpg

An endless runner to add to the endless runner category, but man does this one got style. It has levels, a high skill ceiling, and an endless mode. The music is really good and if you have a few extra funds, you can do much worse than purchase this game. Plus both iOS and Android have return services, so consult those within appropriate time to make sure that you can get your money back if this is not for you. It's also on Steam, but I cannot comment on that one except that it costs $14.99.

Super Mario Run is probably the best traditional game I've played on there.
Implosion is pretty good too.
Played a ton of Galaga as well.

duckroll

My favorite mobile game is TERRA BATTLE from the father of Final Fantasy. It is a truly amazing experience unlike any other because it feels like a lightweight strategy RPG designed from ground up for mobile in mind. Everything from the UI, the graphics, the controls, and the game design feels like an evolution of the best form of fast paced strategy RPG combat in short bursts. And the game systems get more advanced as you progress with some awesome stuff at end game. They also have really in-depth seasonal event quests with original stand alone stories. Some of them feature unbelievable collaborations like the canon sequel to THE LAST STORY, as well as scenarios written by critical acclaimed masters of the genre like YOKO TARO and YASUMI MATSUNO.

ALL HAIL THE GOOCH.

----

My second favorite mobile game ever would be a shout out to 80 Days. It's really rad and really awesome, and anyone who can read more than two paragraphs of text without getting uncomfortably distracted due to ADD will probably appreciate it a lot. Alternate history. Steampunk. Speculative progressive cultural evolution in a bunch of international cultures. Intrigue. Mystery. Murder. Conspiracy. So many secrets, so many discoveries. It's a scifi fan's dream adventure game with a gazillion vignettes to find and most will never been seen without playing through the game over and over.

Devious dungeon games on Android are fun. In fact noodlecake studios has quite a few games out on Android I like. Plenty of variety. Altos adventure, random heroes, league of evil, dig deep, gravity duck are among some good games they have. I sound like an advertisement for them lol. Seriously though check them out if you haven't.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marvel Future Fight. A surprisingly fun action RPG with really cool late game content, actual skill based combat and one of the most fair F2P systems I've come across in this type of game.

rrs

I still remember audiosurf on my ZuneHD being a fun thing to play, I don't really play much for games on my phone

Lazaro

I like Plants vs Zombies and Infinity Blade on iOS. Kairosoft games like Game Dev story are cool too.

I really liked Crimson Dragon Side Story on Windows Phone. I liked it better than the proper Xbox One game.
Crimson-Dragon-Side-Story-007.png

Lebneney

Banned
Anyone have any newer, good tower def game recommendations?

Bloons TD 5 is a good choice, but I mean it's pretty much the Bloons formula, plus it's $2.99. Also I know that Kingdom Rush is highly rated and regarded to be one of the better ones. It's free so that means there may be some in app purchases, but I don't know how limiting they are.

CS_Dan

Threes, Ridiculous Fishing, Super Hexagon and Rayman Jungle Run are my go-to real mobile games. Ports like XCOM are good too, but not designed for 2 minute play sessions

sheaaaa

My favorite mobile game is TERRA BATTLE from the father of Final Fantasy. It is a truly amazing experience unlike any other because it feels like a lightweight strategy RPG designed from ground up for mobile in mind. Everything from the UI, the graphics, the controls, and the game design feels like an evolution of the best form of fast paced strategy RPG combat in short bursts. And the game systems get more advanced as you progress with some awesome stuff at end game. They also have really in-depth seasonal event quests with original stand alone stories. Some of them feature unbelievable collaborations like the canon sequel to THE LAST STORY, as well as scenarios written by critical acclaimed masters of the genre like YOKO TARO and YASUMI MATSUNO.

ALL HAIL THE GOOCH.

----

Terra Battle sounds amazing. Is it single-player and how's the F2P aspects?

duckroll

Terra Battle sounds amazing. Is it single-player and how's the F2P aspects?

It's all single player for a long time until you unlock the co-op raids and versus modes later on. Most new players won't have high level parties to participate in those anyway. This is a game which has -a lot- of power creep, but it has mostly handled it pretty elegantly (from my perspective anyway, but I've been playing for years so it's skewed).

I wouldn't actually recommend people to seriously start Terra Battle today though. Terra Battle 2 is in pre-registration stage now and should be out in a month or so. It's probably a way better place to start for anyone interested.

Arkanoid vs Space Invaders is my current favourite - perfect for a quick blast or a 'just one more go' extended session.

Haven't played it for a while and need to download it again but I loved Elder Sign: Omens - a great conversion of a dice-based Lovecraft-themed board game. One of the few games that I played on a tablet and phone because I liked it so much.

bobawesome

Severed and Deemo are two games I've been really into lately on my iPad.

Severed is probably one of the best looking games I've played. Hard to believe it's from the team that created Mutant Blobs Attack years ago. Not that it was a bad game. But to see where they are now...

Fbh

Pretty much the only game that's premanently on my phone is Cytus.

An OSU! Style rhythm game which is just a lot of fun. Not the biggest fan of the tracks on it but it's still fun to pass the time

Ninja Dom

Android & iOS

Free to start, World 1 is given for free and then one £7.99 payment to unlock the entire game.

Superb auto running platform game which manages to transform Mario into an auto-runner and still keep that "Mario essence". It's played in portrait mode and can be played one-handed on a phone. Go for the All Black Coin Run in Story Mode fora very challenging game.

redcrayon

Hero Emblems is still my favourite, like puzzle quest but funnier and with plenty of homages to FF etc. Nice combat system too. Only about £4 with no IAP etc.

Adryuu

Played a lot of Terra Batlle when it first launched, on my previous phone. I wish I had my code because I had to delete it for more space but I'd continue on my new phone.

Monument Valley was nice, as seemingly are Hitman/Lara Go.

But the best of the best is still Downwell.

Reigns is cool, too. Also Super Hexagon for really really fast sessions.

Gonna check out some posted games but, also, what are nice pointy clicky adventures? How is using scummvm on Android for controls, readability, etc?

Tried the demo for The Last Door and it was good albeit short.

And what are the games with the nicest sprites?

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage

It's probably one of the best rhythm games on the market. Free to play, over 100 songs so far with new ones each week, great mechanics and presentation, an event each week, new gacha every few days, thousands of character cards to collect each with their own story scenes (and some with unique solo remixes of songs). The best part is they hand premium currency and stamina drinks out like candy - so much so you can quite easily play the game without paying a single penny.

Mr YuYu

Shame that terra battle is still not available on the Google play store in Belgium...

Hopefully that will chance for terra battle 2!

Edit: thanks for the infinity loop tip! Awesome little game :)

XaosWolf

Been really enjoying Card Thief and Card Crawl by Arnold Rauers lately.
Really solid Solitaire style (run out the deck) card game with simple gameplay and quick enough to give that one-more-go feeling.

Another one I have always enjoyed is Lyne by Thomas Bowker. A puzzle game of joining the dots with a lovely difficulty curve and a whole bunch of content.

Ichabod

Banned
I have a weakness for match 3 titles so I'm always on the look out for good titles. Marvel Puzzle Quest is a game I play on the daily. You collect characters from Marvel's extensive stable of heroes & villains and wage match-3 warfare to your heart's content. Frequent events, dailies, and tournaments give you the opportunity to amass a decent collection fairly quickly. My biggest gripe, however, is increasing the capacity of your hero pool requires an ever increasing amount of the game's most premium currency, so you either have to throw down real money for more character slots, save nickels and dimes of said currency where you can get it, or thin out your ranks with your least effective characters.

Dead Ahead: Zombie Warfare sounds like it would be a throwaway shovelware title, but it's actually become one of my favorite mobile games, recently. It tasks the player with defending their school bus from hordes of varying zombie types using a diverse set of heroes with the ultimate goal of punching through the hordes and destroying a barrier preventing the bus from progressing out of the level. The game's sprite work is top-tier, reminding me of Metal Slug mixed with dash of Scott Pilgrim.

Arkanoid vs Space Invaders is freaking amazing, and it's a game I can't imagine playing on anything but mobile.

Adventure of Mana is great, too. It would be better with a traditional control scheme, yes, but the base game is so good (although I might think this due to nostalgia because I loved the original) that I can overlook that flaw.

I also played Puzzle & Dragons for a long time, but it did eventually get old, as all gatcha games do.

sheaaaa

It's all single player for a long time until you unlock the co-op raids and versus modes later on. Most new players won't have high level parties to participate in those anyway. This is a game which has -a lot- of power creep, but it has mostly handled it pretty elegantly (from my perspective anyway, but I've been playing for years so it's skewed).

I wouldn't actually recommend people to seriously start Terra Battle today though. Terra Battle 2 is in pre-registration stage now and should be out in a month or so. It's probably a way better place to start for anyone interested.

Thanks for the tips! Do you think I'd be missing a lot if I just start with the sequel tho? The Matsuno content for example, and some sequels tend to pare back content big time.

Top Bottom