• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I don’t know I’d describe this. It’s like a melodic, progressive metalcore? With some electronics. I dunno but I love it

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
vJIB9Dy.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone been watching the Coachella live streams?

Deftones sound great, Chino skinniest I've seen him too. Faye Webster, BCNR, Eartheater all good from today, will watch Lana later. On UK time so I'm on a big delay.

VERY excited for the No Doubt reunion and watching Brad Nowell's son join Sublime. Be a crime if Gwen doesn't get up for Saw Red.

Audiophile

It's been quite a run, I 'discovered' these three albums/bands in just one week:

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)

front-1pj.jpg

Stone Temple Pilots - Core (1992)

front-2core.jpg

Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (1994)

front-3hoot.jpg

Heard of them of course, but never really listened properly before.

Pearl Jam's "Ten" is a perfect album as is Hootie's "Cracked Rear View"; while Stone Temple Pilot's Core has plenty of bangers (ooft, that dragging drum beat on Crackerman get's me hyped).

On the downside, I listened to all of Stone Temple Pilot's follow-ups and it was a major let down. In regards to Hootie I haven't checked out anything else yet and as for Pearl Jam -- this might sound silly -- but I'm almost nervous to listen to the follow-ups; I'm absolutely in love with this album and worry the rest aren't gonna live up to it. It's my understanding they changed it up quite a bit as they wanted to be more dry and grungy.

On another note, I was watching a Rick Beato vid recently and he brought up a six week period in 1991 where these six albums were all released:
  • Metallica - Metallica (aka 'The Black Album') | 12th August 1991
  • Pearl Jam - Ten | 27th August 1991
  • Guns 'N Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II | 17th September 1991
  • Nirvana - Nevermind | 24th September 1991
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik | 24th September 1991
  • Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger | 24th September 1991
There's a few gems out there still but you just don't see this sort of coherent, cultural impact anymore from entire albums. Most newer artists are more famous for the celebrity than their music and when they release an album it's 90% filler with a catchy single or two. And beyond that all the distinct pockets and scenes have just dispersed into homogeny. Can't think of a time when that many great albums launched in a such a small period of time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom