• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the chances of FF8 getting the FF7 treatment?

kenta

Has no PEINS
You never know. 5 years ago if you would have asked this about FF7 people would be like NEVAR GONNA HAPPEN, but it did. I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff from the world of FF8, I thought it was a great game.

Cloudy

Banned
The ending was REALLY unsatisfying for me. Yeah you know what happens and it's more closure than FF7 or FFX but a bit more drama plz >_<

PS: FF9 had like the most complete ending of all 4 games and it's my least favorite -_-

Zilch

Banned
Cloudy said:
The ending was REALLY unsatisfying for me. Yeah you know what happens and it's more closure than FF7 or FFX but a bit more drama plz >_<

PS: FF9 had like the most complete ending of all 4 games and it's my least favorite -_-

This might surprise you Kotex but there's more than four FF games.

The impending FFVIII trolling to come (seems it already has *points to bjork*), I'll take this opportunity to try to answer seriously:

Cloudy said:
Movie, spinoffs, inevitable remake etc. :)

Good question. Nojima (co-writer) once said that FFVIII felt like the most 'complete' project he had ever worked on... in all aspects. From start to finish, it turned out damn near exactly as Kitase and himself intended, apparently.
Even just after FFVII's Japanese release, Kitase mentioned that FFVII still felt incomplete to him- followed by inane rumors from fans taking that statement and somehow making it equal 'FFVII was not finished- Aerith was suppose to be resurrected'. FFVIII, on the other hand, was given a lot more care with less pressure. It was also one of the few times the Kitase/Nojima team have gotten to make a FF story very closely to their original idea, without Square 'FFing' it up, as was the case, for example, with FFX. That's probably why, to some fans, FFVIII feels so different.

In Kingdom Hearts, we can see a desire to continue the character of Squall- he's older, he's adopted his father's/Laguna's hairstyle, as well as Rinoa's wings on his jacket... but again, the KH world is kind of a 'bizarro' world for the FF character anyway (or is it? :))

I really don't see where else FFVIII could go, other than a remake faaaar down the road.

I loved FFVIII and applaud the ballsy approach it took to it's design/storytelling in the shadow of FFVII. I will say I agree with Nojima, though... it's the most 'complete' feeling FF IMO. Even though I've grown use to the idea of FF 'sequels', I don't feel FFVIII needs one. Then again, if it ever happened, you could rank up +1 sale from me instantly. :D

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The only FF game I'd want to see a graphical update on, even instead of FF7, is FF6. Could you guys imagine seeing a CG scene of the world falling apart, or Terra going apeshit, or that shit that Kefka pulls on Doma? Holy shit. That alone would be phenomenal.

Red Scarlet

There could be a possibility of 8 getting stuff..maybe all this 7 stuff coming out is to see if it'd be viable (didn't 8 sell the most worldwide out of them all?).

whytemyke said:
The only FF game I'd want to see a graphical update on, even instead of FF7, is FF6. Could you guys imagine seeing a CG scene of the world falling apart, or Terra going apeshit, or that shit that Kefka pulls on Doma? Holy shit. That alone would be phenomenal.

I've wanted this since the PS1 days. :D

I'd love for a FFVI remake to be the first FF to really utilize Amano's style throughout- but I'd settle for Nomura (or even Naora :)) redesigns as long as they kept the original character aesthetics intact. Throw in some new story elements, some new towns, new Espers, touched up script, etc... ahhhh, I still have a sweet spot for FFVI (and IV).

Ceb

Red Scarlet said:
There could be a possibility of 8 getting stuff..maybe all this 7 stuff coming out is to see if it'd be viable (didn't 8 sell the most worldwide out of them all?).

I don't know about worldwide sales, but it performed better than FFVII in some territories. A lot of people attribute that to FFVII's success though, which might be true to a certain extent. FFVIII has received a lot of (unwarranted) hatred over the years...

Group005.jpg

RaineLaguna002.jpg

the first pic is just one of those cool promotional CG renders released before FFVIII came out.

The second is a CG shot from the ending.

Final_Fantasy_VIII_-_Gunblade.jpg

FFVIII had a lot of fantastic stand-alone CG art.

jett said:
Hypocrite, plz. :lol

Because heaven knows everyone is bound forever to opinions formed at the age of 16!

I hadn't even played FFVII yet at the time I wrote that. I've since played FFVII--plus FFVIII, IX, X, X-2, lots of other RPGs from Square and other developers...so it's not entirely inconceivable that my feelings towards FFVII might have changed somewhat during the past 8 years.

In any case, let me clarify: FFVII fans and the Compilation deserve each other. :)

Hay guys we all lived together in the same Orphanage but did not notice each other during our travels..!!11

o and teh gfs made us forget

DarknessTear said:
Hay guys we all lived together in the same Orphanage but did not notice each other during our travels..!!11

o and teh gfs made us forget

haha good one!
o here's one..

i thot it was ff8 not ff90210!!1
rolfrolf

much more wher that came from
ill b her all week!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
good things about ffviii:

1. quistis
2. the ending

"compilation of ffviii" would at least ruin the latter...though maybe it'd be worth it for advent children-quality cg of the former.

p.s.: TIME COMPRESSION!!!!

ElyrionX

DarknessTear said:

:lol

Anyway, FF8 is truly my favourite FF of all time. The ending rocked. It was just so complete. Oh and Squall's Renzokuken + Finishing Moves (Lionheart!!!!) >>>> *

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
CosmicGroinPull said:
You just like her 'coz she uses a whip.

it's more of a "hot for teacher" thing, really. i liked the glasses better than the whip.

quistissigh8jx.jpg

fap etc.

SantaC

FF8 was damn fantastic. I sure hope it gets the same or better treatment.

Zell Is my fav character!

Zell.jpg

LakeEarth

TheJollyCorner said:
the first pic is just one of those cool promotional CG renders released before FFVIII came out.

The second is a CG shot from the ending.

Final_Fantasy_VIII_-_Gunblade.jpg

FFVIII had a lot of fantastic stand-alone CG art.
I never did get the gunblade. I mean you strike someone with the sword and pull the trigger to cause an explosion for extra damage but... wouldn't having your hand in the position to pull the trigger really lower the amount of power in your swing?

LakeEarth said:
I never did get the gunblade. I mean you strike someone with the sword and pull the trigger to cause an explosion for extra damage but... wouldn't having your hand in the position to pull the trigger really lower the amount of power in your swing?

Dude, it's a GUNBLADE. A GUN-BLADE. 'Nuff said.

*i don't know either.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
whytemyke said:

I remember seeing the CG for the anthology remake of FF6, with Terra, Celes, Setzer, and Shadow. I would love to see a graphical remake of the game.

aceface

I love FFVIII too, but I think right about now Square needs to keep its focus on NEW games, ie the vaporware that is FFXII.

belgurdo

Banned
A gunblade is basically a bayonet rifle, except it shoots energy (that's what Fated Circle, No Mercy, and Blasting Zone are showing, basically.)

Although I'd personally love an VIII remake or VIII-2 or whatever, like above me I'd rather just have SE continue to make new games

Top Bottom