• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some games where you regret paying money into?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Marvel Heroes (2016). I bought all of my favorite characters from when I was kid. Dumped mad hours into it just rolling around with friends and randos powering up. Then one day completely out of the blue Marvel pulled the license (or something) and the game was gone. Since then I have been very, very reluctant to buy any kind of add-on DLC for online-only games.

NahaNago

2 and 3 remake are alot different and much more modern compared to RE1 Remake which came out 18 years or so before them. You also don't need to play the first one to enjoy the second and third.
I just feel I must play it because it is the first one. Plus its a classic. I have the same issue with the witcher. I never played witcher 3 because I never did get around to beating the first game.

Last edited:

chigstoke

FIFA but I ended up net positive after I made a side hustle selling in game currency lol

Definitely regret buying a few games I didn't like tho.
I got back into FIFA 22 when the EFL TOTS came out last week, I always make a Championship/League 1/League 2 team to finish the game with, fut champs etc...

But fuck me, I've been doing the SBC's and objectives for packs and the pack weight has been terrible. I feel sorry for people who've been pumping money into FIFA Points.

A Prem. Gold Pack has a <1% chance of a TOTS... - Ultimate Pack hardly that much better either.

Fbh

FFXV.
Felt like Square tricked me into buying and early access title. Except it was a specially shitty version of early access that costs full price and then charges you extra for the added content of the 1.0 release.

Persona 5.
Should have known they'd release a "same game but better" version. And I don't like the franchise nearly enough to play through it twice and spend 200 hours on it. The metallic case was so nice though.

Monter Hunter 3 Ultimate on WiiU:
Had it on 3DS and wasn't really enjoying it. Convinced myself it must be because of the tiny screen and annoying controls so I double dipped on the WiiU version........ didn't like it on WiiU either.

White Knight Chronicles 2:
Bought it for like 70 fucking Euros when I was on vacation as it was launching first in Europe. Shit was one of the laziest lowest effort JRPG I've ever played.
There's a part you travel 20 years into the past, then go the main city and the same NPC's are standing in their usual place and greet you by name.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Why though? Sounds like you had a great time for years and got your money out of it.

I didn't have it very long. Maybe three months. The '2016' signifier was for a soft relaunch. The game proceeded to close down at the end of 2017.

But sure, those several months were great with the game.

DeaDPo0L84

Destiny 2. I've poured so much money into it but I'm simply tapped out interest wise, it's both upsetting but freeing in a way.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't do mtx so no regrets there. There have been games I regretted buying but now I usually wait at least 6 months to buy most games to make sure they're actually worth it.

The Shepard

I just feel I must play it because it is the first one. Plus its a classic. I have the same issue with the witcher. I never played witcher 3 because I never did get around to beating the first game.

Re2 is rather self contained and you play as diffrent characters to the first. The only resident evil games you really need to play in order would be 7 then 8 as its a direct sequel with the same character and story continuing.

I started with witcher 3, loved it, tried the second one after and couldn't get into it. Just felt like it aged alot. Not playing witcher 1 and 2 had no effect on my enjoyment of 3 as the story in that is quite self contained to.

Hestar69

Battlefield 2042. Bought the 90 edition and after first week neither me or my friends have played it.Well,I played a game about two weeks ago and it's bleh.What a disappointment.

in-game currency, exclusive gear, early access

spongebob-chicken.gif

NahaNago

Re2 is rather self contained and you play as diffrent characters to the first. The only resident evil games you really need to play in order would be 7 then 8 as its a direct sequel with the same character and story continuing.

I started with witcher 3, loved it, tried the second one after and couldn't get into it. Just felt like it aged alot. Not playing witcher 1 and 2 had no effect on my enjoyment of 3 as the story in that is quite self contained to.
I'll try Re2 then since it is different characters and then go back again and beat Re1. I always find it odd folks could just jump into Witcher 3 without playing the prequels.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I discovered the evil of in-game purchases on Happy Wars. Buying Happy Tickets to get Happy Spins. I was a grown man even then and fell prey to peer pressure. It was the first game I played with MTXs

I think I spent 80 dollars on that game just in Happy Tickets. I needed to get stronger. I couldn't help it.

Last edited:

Nydius

There's probably a lot more than this but the two that came to mind instantly were Destiny 2 and Anthem.

Destiny 2: I expected them to follow the pattern they had set with Destiny 1 of annual expansions with Eververse lurking in the background. I had given them the benefit of the doubt with regards to Eververse and it did, in fact, seem like they were living up to what they had said Eververse was going to be for: Seasonal smaller content like the holiday events and things like Sparrow Racing League. Then the sequel came out and Eververse greatly expanded. Then they split from Activision and everyone thought it would get better but it got worse. Now we have yearly expansions, FOMO-bait paywalled seasons, vaulted content, paywalled dungeons, and Eververse.

I burned out midway through Shadowkeep, only came back for Beyond Light because it was on Game Pass, then quit again. Every time I consider coming back I remind myself that they put the 30th Anniversary dungeon and other dungeons behind paywalls and it reminds me to stick to my "Fuck Bungie" mantra. I regret ever giving them a penny in Eververse MTX, or buying Forsaken or Shadowkeep.

Anthem: Well this is self explanatory really. I hoped for the best, got a steaming pile of shit instead. Stupidly had ordered the Legion of Dawn edition which was available for $9.99 about six months later. At least I never spent a penny in their god awful store.

Edit: Y'know, the more I think about it, most of the games I regret buying or spending any money in/on were all from last gen. I don't have nearly as many regrets about games from the 360/PS3 gen or any generation prior.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yoshi's Story on the Nintendo 64. I got woo'd by the review in GamePro as an impressionable young kid. This issue in which it was reviewed was the first video game magazine I remember ever having. It got a 5 out of 5 for graphics, and I wanted to see what my new Nintendo 64 could do. I loved dinosaurs and Yoshi was one. Game was short. Game was expensive-$60 in 1998 dollars is $106 today. When you factor in "kid inflation", that's like $1000.

I learned my lesson: Be very cautious in which video game mags you trust, and try not to be a graphics whore.

Edit: Found a scan of the review:

https://www.nintendo64ever.com/Tests-Nintendo-64-Game,394,Yoshis-Story,1.html

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I got back into FIFA 22 when the EFL TOTS came out last week, I always make a Championship/League 1/League 2 team to finish the game with, fut champs etc...

But fuck me, I've been doing the SBC's and objectives for packs and the pack weight has been terrible. I feel sorry for people who've been pumping money into FIFA Points.

A Prem. Gold Pack has a <1% chance of a TOTS... - Ultimate Pack hardly that much better either.
And believe it or not, this is one of the "best" times of the year to open packs, in terms of odds lol.

I always tell people its better to just buy coins, which then I sell them haha

Batiman

Banned
Destiny 1. Only game I’ve ever returned. I got sucked into the hype. I’m an idiot because I didn’t even like the beta and still got suckered by the hype. I don’t as hoping there was more to it I guess. I also loved bungie.

Deaths door is another one. Wasn’t bad but just super bland overall. It didn’t feel enjoyable to play and the art style was pretty basic overall.

Fredrik

If you don't like the new gameplay style IIRC you can revert to the classic PS1 gameplay in the pause menu, and change the difficulty, maybe that'll be a more enjoyable way to complete it to see all the story in part1.

I'd never played FF7 before and found the remake gameplay awesome.
I don’t want it easier, I want more strategy. I’ve tried all modes but it’s never like the original FF7 where you had all the time in the world to study enemy attacks and carefully plan out your move and think out strategies for all your characters.

FF7Remake doesn’t play like FF7, it plays like a bad Ninja Gaiden. Fantasian on Apple Arcade, by the original FF7 creator, plays more like FF7 than any recent FF.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Gran Turismo 7. Bought the ultimate edition and have been really disappointed.

Sorry not trying to trigger people if it’s their GOTY, I’ve always played them on the previous Sony consoles just this one find soulless. Starting last in every race isn’t a race just one example that infuriated me.

chigstoke

And believe it or not, this is one of the "best" times of the year to open packs, in terms of odds lol.

I always tell people its better to just buy coins, which then I sell them haha
It definitely is, buying coins is a completely guaranteed return on the investment at least.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I don’t want it easier, I want more strategy. I’ve tried all modes but it’s never like the original FF7 where you had all the time in the world to study enemy attacks and carefully plan out your move and think out strategies for all your characters.

FF7Remake doesn’t play like FF7, it plays like a bad Ninja Gaiden. Fantasian on Apple Arcade, by the original FF7 creator, plays more like FF7 than any recent FF.
Okay, I only mentioned difficulty because when you change to the classic turn based mode the difficulty drops from normal to easy. If you can get through the game by any means, the higher difficulties for classic mode are unlocked in the newer patch IIRC, so might be more enjoyable on a 2nd play through later down the line - but possibly not, if you really aren't liking it the classic mode either.

chigstoke

Gran Turismo 7. Bought the ultimate edition and have been really disappointed.

Sorry not trying to trigger people if it’s their GOTY, I’ve always played them on the previous Sony consoles just this one find soulless. Starting last in every race isn’t a race just one example that infuriated me.
Not sure why the rolling starts couldn’t be like GT4 where everyone was close together. You start at least 35+ secs away from first, and the AI damn sure does it’s best to make it as infuriating as possible to catch.

Game plays great mainly but the soul from older games isn’t there IMO.

Melubas

I often regret buying big game collections because half of the time I end up not liking the first enough to finish the series. Latest offender is Kingdom Hearts all in one collection where I kind of liked the first, but not enough to slog through all the side games. Currently trying Re: Chain of Memories out and I kind of hate it to be honest, haha. Ace Attorney trilogy is the same. The first game was cool but can't really find the energy to play through two more similar ones. The worst thing is having them in my backlog though, it's like this nagging voice in my head reminding me that I haven't finished all my games.

My worst regret though is buying Horizon: Forbidden West on release. I suffer from chronic light sensitivity and that game is so overly bright that I can't play it at all. Naturally I played over two hours so can't refund it either. Here's to hoping they patch some kind of accessibility option in that reduces the peak brightness percentage somewhat.

Fredrik

Okay, I only mentioned difficulty because when you change to the classic turn based mode the difficulty drops from normal to easy. If you can get through the game by any means, the higher difficulties for classic mode are unlocked in the newer patch IIRC, so might be more enjoyable on a 2nd play through later down the line - but possibly not, if you really aren't liking it the classic mode either.
My plan is to force myself through it just to be ready for part 2 which I hope have a normal turn based mode.

Top Bottom