• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some games where you regret paying money into?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Avengers -shit game
anthem - never got proper support
division 2 - not as good as 1st one.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Oh god watch out, a Destiny 2 player is going to come along and explain that its not deleted its just "vaulted" and they will naturally unvault the content they paid for some time in the future, and even if they don't it dousent matter because the new content is so good why would they care about the older stuff they paid for being deleted?

Oh and incase you missed some exotics you can no longer get, that are in the content that you paid for that they deleted, don't worry Bungie will sell you them...

I'm really looking forward to seeing what franchise Sony plan to ruin in future with them by turning it into GaaS. It really is the future of gaming

think most destiny players believe it’s horse shit as well. No one likes it. Honeslty should have just made a destiny 3 with Beyond Light instead if they wanted a fresh start.

kyussman

I've never done it.I have bought plenty of dlc over the years but it has always been expansion type stuff,not MTX.If people want to put money into games that they enjoy then good for them,it's their money.....but the whole move towards GAAS and devs preying on peoples FOMO is making me less and less interested in gaming right now.

KiteGr

Street Fighter 5
Bought it at high price. It was censored. It was bare bones. It had freemium mechanics that only pro-players could take advantage of.

I sold it at a huge loss. Now I feel that capcom ows me money.

Ferdimage

Just being honest, Elden Ring.
I enjoyed the 2 years built up hype to release.
Then realised I dont enjoy the formula anymore after the first 5 hours.

93xfan

Banned
For me, it's Destiny 2.
Bought some skins. The game is exploitative with FOMO, and the content you purchased was removed entirely including full expansions. I stopped playing altogether because it felt like a chore.
I regret spending money on this game.

What about you? Whether it's a title or in-game monetization, etc.
That game cured me of needing every cosmetic in a game. Used to obsess. Thank you Destiny 2

mxbison

RDR 2

Didn't like the game at all but kept going for like 40 hours because I wanted my purchase to be worth it. Pretty dumb honestly, money is gone either way so no point in doing something you don't enjoy.

SpokkX

For me, it's Destiny 2.
Bought some skins. The game is exploitative with FOMO, and the content you purchased was removed entirely including full expansions. I stopped playing altogether because it felt like a chore.

Yep Destiny 2 for me 100%

The things a I actually bought (older expansions), are not even playable anymore.. wtf is this?

And how can Destiny 2 be 60GB+? There just a few areas at the time - the remove stuff as soon as they add something. Weird engine issue?

Destiny 2 is a good "idea" but the execution is "FOMO makes you repeat the same linear levels over and over... and then losing whatever you had FOMO for later because .. the engine?"

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I'm really looking forward to seeing what franchise Sony plan to ruin in future with them by turning it into GaaS. It really is the future of gaming
Last of Us. You’ll pay for new pronouns and neopronouns. Kittenself and Joelselfs are gonna be common, but she/her and he/him will be rare (just like in Naughty Dog’s ideal world).

chixdiggit

I bought the $80 version of Ghost Recon Frontline. Rarely ever do I get caught up in the hype but the thought of an open world Future Soldier got me to plop down the cash to play the game early.

Fluo

Pokemon Sword. It's the only game I ever traded in. Played for 10 hours, tried to like it, but it's just braindead boring.

Aion002

Mass Effect Andromeda. Bough it at launch... On PSN...

Sorry The Hangover GIF

After that I decided that I will never ever again pay more than 10 usd on a EA game.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
There have been quite a few over the years, some turds come to the forefront though that will always stick in my mind..

This one hurt. Was a midnight buy and coming off the previous Hitmans I couldnt wait. Took it back the next morning. They'd shat all over what made Hitman great

rxZ6nZy.jpg

After being utterly hooked on the brilliant first game on the Amiga this just felt like a kick in the balls with a steel boot

Zcf3lLm.jpg

Loaded. One of my all time favourite Playstation 1 games, so of course it only made sense i'd rush out and buy this..

VHpnJEt.jpg

Jesus christ. This absolute winner.. Probably the most buggiest release i'd seen in a long time back then. Falling through floors, old women with deep male voices, broken missions everywhere, but it was a weird one. I still kept on playing, I like Arnold Vosloo and thought he did good voice work for it. What a train wreck though

OLt9kQc.png

CuNi

For me, it's Destiny 2.

Tbh I don't regret spending money on it.
I bought the lore books and even some pins for the triumphs I got.

It went to shit IMHO and their "anniversary" event that they asked 25€ for was the final nail in the coffin for me so I dropped the game, but I don't regret playing it. Back when I was enjoying it, it was superb. Even made some long lasting friends in that game and had a lot of fun with it in the past!!

@Topic
I regret escape from Tarkov. It looked so boring but I caved in when friends kept bugging me to get it and play with them. I'll never see that money again or get my time back, but that one is more on me than the game tbh.

I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 and BF2042 on the strength of their trailers/previews. To this day, I still haven't got over being taken for a rube like that. I know that doesn't excuse their behaviour, they're scumbag companies for undertaking such awful practices. They're the reason why I cancelled my Elden Ring pre-order and waited 3 weeks before buying so I could observe post launch reviews.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Avengers
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Destiny 1-2
Dying Light 2
Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield 5
Battlefront 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Crackdown 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Brink
Monster Hunter Rise.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Horizon Forbidden West
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Little Big Planet 3

I am sure there are more.

Kssio_Aug

The most recent is probably Kingdom Hearts 3.

Not that the game is bad, but I paid full price for it and was severely disappointed with a game that didn't evovle mechanically as I expected, and that was so unaware of the age of it's current audience. Other than the very end, the dialogues and sub-plots were extremely boring, repetitive and childish.

Not a complete waste of time though, because the game still has it's charm, but I could have either skipped it entirely or paid less in a later date.

I don't buy that many games though, and when I do, I generally buy on a sale and do my research as best as possible to guarantee I'm going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

NahaNago

For me it is honestly resident evil 1 for ps4. Like that was actually my first experience in actually playing a game in that series and I probably needed nostalgia glasses to properly enjoy that game. I'll probably go back at it again in the future since I'm pretty sure I bought 2 and 3 as well but I'm feeling pretty meh on the series right now.

buying the deluxe version of WWE 2k22 was a terrible idea. the deluxe DLC was just skins that you could probably make in the creation part of the game. The game got a good sale just a month or so after release.... And i ended up not liking the game at all and don't even play it.

Jaybe

In general buying too many games during Steam sales back when they had day long flash sales. There’s probably 20 to 50, that I have in my library that I’ll likely never touch. I try not to buy anything now that I won’t immediately play, and with game pass ultimate locked in, I probably won’t buy anything for some time any way, until it expires.

begotten

I spent a lot of money on LoL, it's easy to say now I wish I had that money back but the game did provide me with a lot of fun and hours.

GymWolf

I felt extremely dirty for paying full price for that absolute shitshow of ff7 remake.

Also buying a switch to play botw :lollipop_squinting:

Pejo

I've spent a probably sickening amount of money on games and gaming in my life, but the only game that clearly comes to the front of my mind every time I think about this question is ARMS from Nintendo.

I don't even think it's necessarily a bad game, I just remember feeling absolutely ripped off after playing it for a few hours. Truthfully I can't explain why that game over any other number of games I bought on sale and never even installed, but definitely ARMS.

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned
Death Stranding. I kind of knew it is not going to be a game for me, but bought it on launch anyway. Mostly out of curiousity. It looks great and is unlike anything else but it is also frustratingly boring even when it tries to be weird and ridiculous.
Tries to be weird and ridiculous? Well, that's one of many subjective POV's.

For me, Kojima's work is quite unique in the way that he implements the message(s) he whats to get across to the audience. However, I notice that the esoteric are the ones who understand the underlying message(s) and the plain to see message(s) as well. Some just see the plain to see messages and others may just see a video game and nothing more. Personally, I haven't played a lot of Kojima's games, but I watched someone play Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and was absolutely blown away by not only the storytelling and characters and action but moreso by the underlying themes and how well put together it is seamlessly. Of the games I did play thus far is Death Stranding. Now Cyberpunk 2077 is not a Kojima game, but I found him in the game and he actually voiced a character in it, which he talked a lot about video game development and his vision(s). Even though initially I suspected that is Hideo Kojima and especially everything I was reading sounded so accurate to what I discover in his games that I did play or watched, I had to look it up to confirm. I was surprised to be spot on concerning my initial thoughts of him and video games only based mostly on my insight from MGS4 and DS.

photomode_31012021_212006.png

It is true though, that not all video games are for everyone. But I can say that I appreciate all the time, effort, creativity and hard work that went into Death Stranding and I look forward to Death Stranding 2. Live to see it, I'll buy it day one like Death Stranding and I know I won't regret it because I know the kind of games I like, and it feels really good to have games out there that are thought-provoking and impactful in a very meaningful way. Also, CP2077 is another thought-provoking game I enjoyed.

Banned
Halo Infinite. When MP was first released it was hype AF but 343 dropped the ball so hard that every EUR spend in that game hurts to this day.

I thankfully only bought the first battle pass, and I payed for it using Microsoft reward points... so I'm not too hurt by that, but of curse those reward points could have been spent better

PaintTinJr

Final Fantasy 7 RI
I waited to play it until the PS5 release, I like the visuals and the music makes me nostalgic but at the end it just dosen’t feel like FF7, I’m forcing myself through it just to see the story changes and cutscenes but can’t deal with that janky realtime combat, imo it plays like crap. And now it’ll come to PS+ so I could’ve just played it through that instead of buying it.
If you don't like the new gameplay style IIRC you can revert to the classic PS1 gameplay in the pause menu, and change the difficulty, maybe that'll be a more enjoyable way to complete it to see all the story in part1.

I'd never played FF7 before and found the remake gameplay awesome.

The Shepard

For me it is honestly resident evil 1 for ps4. Like that was actually my first experience in actually playing a game in that series and I probably needed nostalgia glasses to properly enjoy that game. I'll probably go back at it again in the future since I'm pretty sure I bought 2 and 3 as well but I'm feeling pretty meh on the series right now.

2 and 3 remake are alot different and much more modern compared to RE1 Remake which came out 18 years or so before them. You also don't need to play the first one to enjoy the second and third.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
MK11, it was slow and sluggish as shit, first game on steam I refunded.
Kula diamond dlc pack for doa6, the extra costumes were terrible, so I refunded the pack and just got the character separately instead.

Top Bottom