• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're getting old, guys. Do video games keep us young at heart?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think there's something insanely therapeutic and healthy when you go back and revisit old consoles/games that you grew up with.

Think about it, all the different things running through your head... All the feelings, all the memories. Happiness, sadness, hope, regret, despair, longing. It really puts things into perspective. When I play Albert Odyssey on the Saturn I think of my brother and I playing it when our father was dying of cancer. It should be a sad experience but it's not. It's just sheer joy cause even though some of the memories are hard to revisit, I'm glad I have them.

I posted it in another thread but this music was playing in a boss fight in Panzer Dragoon Saga last night and it just captured everything about why I love retro gaming. It was just pure bliss.

But yes, I think the serotonin dump that people get while revisiting old games plays a huge role in keeping you "young", at least mentally in a way.

I also play through Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding on the OG XBOX each winter. It takes me back to my buddies basement in 11th grade. Just getting drunk form his parent's liquor cabinet, memories of chatting with girls on AIM. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Lord I hope not. Man children are one of the biggest problems with modern Western society.

Agreed. Occasionally indulging in nostalgia is fine, but we've created a perpetual childhood machine and too many are willing to thrown themselves into whole sale. You can bet your ass that people will dump ungodly amounts of capital for that Metaverse nonsense just so they can escape into an ego stroking, memberberries fever dream

MacReady13

It was a few years ago now but when I got my hands on the mini SNES the memories of being a teen came flooding back. Holding that controller that I hadn't held for well over 20 years was actually quite emotional for me. Since the last time I held that controller as a teen I have gotten married, had 4 kids and moved house 4 times with 5 different jobs in between all that! It was just a FAR simpler time and great memories came flooding back... For as much as graphics/sound have taken leaps and bounds, I would give almost anything to have those simple days back and re-experience the great console wars again!

Scotty W

I am dependent on a constant stream of videogames to preserve y youthfulness and allow me to make hop references. Bring on the young.

GreatnessRD

The way these new games are setup, this garbage makes you get old quick.

But the nostalgia from PS2 to Xbox 360 can keep the grays from forming. But this shit here in 2021? lol, hell naw.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
To be honest, gaming nowadays doesn't do shit to me. If anything, makes me feel more bored. I'm sick and tired of AAA gaming with their super serious tone and huge ass cinematic. I did like TLOU, for example, but if you ask me to play it again I'll be bored to death. Ghost of Tsushima was a bit better, but still, too much for me. Lately been playing Persona 5, while it has its charm, I'm getting bored. Too much dialogue, gameplay is repetitive as hell, but still, I'm slowly pushing through it.

The only game that made me feel really like a kid in the past 5 years must be BOTW. I don't know why, but that game did make me feel gooooood. Reminded me of the first time I played Zelda on the game boy pocket. Those were the fucking days. Ah and Astral Chain.

I started gaming with the Game Boy. Then I went to Playstation, then only Xbox for the next like 10 years. Went back to Playstation, sold it, went for a Switch, sold it, and now I'm back at Playstation. Now I think I'm gonna sell it and go back to the Switch.

There's barely any magic to gaming for me anymore. And that does make me feel sad.

anthony2690

Banned
Oh man if we are old at 31 :'(
Our parents must be dinosaurs and our grand parents fossils :(

But damn, you must have had a tough life if you have a grey beard and no hair at 31! (Or married) 🤣

Last edited:

Outlier

No. The more I play, the more I realize how I'm getting to old to be spending so much time on something that doesn't improve my life situations.

So I guess it's becoming a detriment to my adulthood.

Matsuchezz

42 years old and still gaming. i have been playing some ps1 games and THOSE bring back memories. I started on atari 2600 last years and then Nes. I can no longer play those old ass games. not even SNES. I enjoy story driven games. I certainly never play mp or mindless shooters.

Games are too damn big these days.

Yep. And I can't stand season passes or time-locked content. Shit that's just made to keep you stuck in a publisher's game for weeks or years on end. Even Forza Horizon 4 frustrated me with having to play all these weekly challenges just to obtain cars. I'm skipping on FH5 because it's the same gameplay loop, just set in Mexico this time.

I find I gravitate to GOTY editions or the rare game that is a "complete" experience. This is more like how gaming used to be--you paid $40-80 and you got a singular experience. You finished it and could revisit the game in your own time or move onto the next game.

Kuranghi

I'm in a lucky position with how young I look for my age (35, look early twenties to most people, perceptive people think I'm late 20s though) so its easy to act how I do and "get away with it" but yeah people really hurt themselves by stopping doing what they love I think:

*sad voice* "Oh well its time to arbitrarily stop doing this thing I love and replace it with "adult" things I don't even like doing"

You can still advance yourself and learn & improve but also enjoy games in your free time. I still play game because they offer so much more than other media imo, so much variety, that only gets better as time goes on, sure the bigger games are homogenised and rote design is rife in certain areas but also there are a dozens of amazing smaller games every year worth playing.

This year I've started to hit the age where young people see me as an old man haha, asked out a 19 year old at work and she says "I'm not looking for someone right now (pure lies lol) and if I was it would be someone more my age" Which made me laugh because I'm definitely younger at heart than half the people in their early 20s in work. She probably just doesn't like my smooth boy-face and wants a Milk Tray man :messenger_tears_of_joy: a lot of young guys in work are so focused on money because they want to buy all the pointless status bollocks that young people are into, like 500 quid trainers and other stupid shit like that.

Women my age are looking for kids and to settle down, which I'm not because I'm changing my career and will have to focus on me for a while so wouldn't be fair on the babby. So I will continue to pursue women the age I look and not the age I am lol.

I don't understand why you'd put away all your hobbies and passions to focus on improving yourself so you can make more money/have more stuff if you can't even enjoy it? If someone has everything they could want but they get to enjoy it for 2 hours a week outside work then I'd trade that for having to choose select things but enjoy them daily.

None of this fits the OP, I'm sorry OP, this is more a reply to some replies here. That and my shower broke and its taking ages to fix and I drank too much espresso and thats made me feel dirtier than I already physically was and that made me ranty 😬 Need to get across the hall and steal a shower from my neighbour.

Last edited:
I just truly game the Fromsoft games a chance and put in my effort. I'm in love with gaming again. I'll soon receive my ps5 and I have a Series X. I plan on making a badass gaming room. I'm reinvigorated.

Also I highly recommend govee backlights with the camera. It adds a lot of immersion

Kuranghi

To be honest, gaming nowadays doesn't do shit to me. If anything, makes me feel more bored. I'm sick and tired of AAA gaming with their super serious tone and huge ass cinematic. I did like TLOU, for example, but if you ask me to play it again I'll be bored to death. Ghost of Tsushima was a bit better, but still, too much for me. Lately been playing Persona 5, while it has its charm, I'm getting bored. Too much dialogue, gameplay is repetitive as hell, but still, I'm slowly pushing through it.

The only game that made me feel really like a kid in the past 5 years must be BOTW. I don't know why, but that game did make me feel gooooood. Reminded me of the first time I played Zelda on the game boy pocket. Those were the fucking days. Ah and Astral Chain.

I started gaming with the Game Boy. Then I went to Playstation, then only Xbox for the next like 10 years. Went back to Playstation, sold it, went for a Switch, sold it, and now I'm back at Playstation. Now I think I'm gonna sell it and go back to the Switch.

There's barely any magic to gaming for me anymore. And that does make me feel sad.

Are you not into smaller games? There are a lot that give me similar feeling to what BotW gave me, ie exploration, adventure and joy.

Top Bottom