• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're getting old, guys. Do video games keep us young at heart?

31? You've got a ways to go before you're "old" OP.

But I do agree with the idea that connecting with your past can help you feel young at heart.
True. I jumped into a cart a few weeks ago and felt like I teleported straight back into my kid days. It can be very different thing from one person to other.

teezzy

Banned
The only thing that puts grey hairs on my head is the death of creativity in the AAA space we're currently experiencing. Besides that, though, there are still great games and memories to be made. You just have to look for it now, instead of it falling into your lap.

You mustve gone fully grey by now then. 😅

People were complaining about a lack of creativity in the AAA side of the industry even during the Xbox 360 days, and likely even before that. That was two gens ago.

Personally, I'm still having tons of fun, but I don't pay as much attention as I used to. Much prefer playing at my leisure

SirTerry-T

I don't know about that. This forum gives off a lot of old man shouting at clouds energy at times.
Well yeah, when a lot of (I'm guessing) younger voices are complaining more about which games have the shiniest puddles or sharpest textures rather than those old fashioned things like gameplay mechanics, I reckon the cloud yelling at is pretty justified.
Personally I think it all went to pot after the death of the high score table ;)

DaGwaphics

When that age poll was up a ways back it seemed like most of the regulars here were around 40 or knocking on it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is what it is. It is funny how going back and playing a game you played 20 or 25 years before can take you back to that moment in a way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've played (and beat!) more games in the last 8 years than I imagine I've played in my entire life up to that point.

So more likely than not, playing games when I'm older will probably take me back to a time when I was middle aged.

Kuranghi

Totally agree, I don't give a fuck about whether or not something is "for kids", thats just social pressure bullshit.

Smooth-face bragging: I turned 35 on the 9th of December just there and I got ID'd for alcohol in the pub :p I girl I was seeing (to) also asked to see my driver's licence because she didn't believe I was 35 and was worried she'd be carted away for doing the dirty with me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Until they stop bringing out resident 4 on new systems. (And maybe gta V)

I guess I am in it for the long run 😁🤣

(been gaming since the wood finish VCS days 😎)

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
As a 40 year old virgin who lives in his mothers basement. Id do anything to keep young these days.

I had the best day yesterday that made my entire feeble existence. An actual girl said hi to me. First time thats happened in my life. I squealed with excitement. .

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You guys do know I am talking about all of you on the podcast tonight right? lol

What in the name of the wee man are you on about?

As a 40 year old virgin who lives in his mothers basement. Id do anything to keep young these days.

I had the best day yesterday that made my entire feeble existence. An actual girl said hi to me. First time thats happened in my life. I squealed with excitement. .

Really?

Simp.

spons

Gold Member
Interesting games are far and few between. Even most indie games are drivel these days. The current state of the industry makes me feel even older than I really am.

Seek help. And if you squeal with excitement because you get attention, you give too many shits. Fuck people.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
You have an anime avatar so I was inclined to believe you were a virgin.
So everyone that likes anime is a virgin? Shit. Nah I lost it when i was 18 and many times in the years since. I am 32.

Don't judge a forum dweller by their forum pic.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'm 34 and having a blast with all the games available. Can't keep up.
To me it's just Entertainment. I'd rather game than watch TV or series on streaming services.

OZ9000

Banned
Unfortunately most people frown upon playing video games. I'm in my late 20s and I don't expect many people in my profession to play video games..

I've got a family now (wife, son) - so I only play 3-4 hours a week on average. However I enjoy it and will continue to do so for many many years.

I wouldn't mind playing games when retired. Perhaps graphics will surpass real life.

Last edited:
I'll be Matrix VR gaming in the nursing home. Count on it.

Yes it keeps us young and engaged. Mid-forties here and I game with my wife, kids, friends IRL and online friends only. I've known some of them since they were teenagers and now have families of their own as well as invite them all to a weekend of paintball and BBQ annually. We get an eclectic mix of ages and people across 4 states too. I regularly play with some ladies in their 30s, guys in their 20s and a best mate in his 40s as well. It's not uncommon for me to have an Apex session with my son and a mate of his too (a couple of his mates request I join pretty often). Honestly with the internet and gaming/chat these days you're part of the same culture and zeitgeist. By comparison it's not something my parents (dad specifically) could have ever kept up with or been part of. It certainly keeps me young and it's great to have my son or daughter come to me to coop, beat a certain part of a game or get a chat sorted with their friends etc.

Gaming shits on TV and movies, way more interactive. I still prefer a day at the beach with family/friends though, eternal youth that one.

Last edited:
Really, I wouldn't consider 31 to be old at all, I turn 40 this month. Sure I don't have so much time for games, as a father of 2 young children, but I sill love games.

But there is nothing strange about it, it's all about what you grew up with, it's not like you will loose interest in games one day. Its the same like with television, old people grew up with it and also don't loose interest. Therefore in 20 or 30 years, it will be even more common for very old people to play games.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I kind of feel the opposite (of how I used to feel) lately. I got Homeworld 3, Bannerlord 2, and Warhammer 3 to fill my RTS needs, Chorus to fill my space sim needs, Mechwarrior 5 to fulfill my mech needs, Ready or Not and Groundbranch to fill my classic Tom Clancy needs, Mordhau to fulfill my medieval needs, Kotor remake and SW Eclipse for the missing LucasArts needs, and so much more out now and soon to come. I feel like this smaller midtier game level is starting to survive amidst the Triple Ass that buried it. Now all I need is TES6 or an TES6 equivalent. The last 5 years of gaming were dogshit to me, but for my niche taste I'm super happy with what's happening.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

My entire existence is pretty childish, so, I’ve never really fully grown up. I’ve never believed in the whole idea you have to stop certain things just because of your age. That’s for boring people.
This. I'm 42 and people tell me all the time I look mid 20's. They ask me what's my secret: Never grow up.

BigBooper

Probably some. I think it mostly attracts people who are likely to be playful and curious more than causing people to be playful and curious.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
praise be to the video games for keeping me a child at heart
pensioner-playing-computer-game-16618155.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went back to play Rush on N64 with a steering wheel and I couldn’t get over how much the graphics had aged. I’m definitely not trying to relive my childhood. I whole heartedly believe gaming has become so much greater even if we have these big AAA shenanigans.

I think this whole feeling old bit is lame. Yeah, we age, we get old, and what not. I know I have enjoyed more games in the last decade than I did when I was young. I think I was lucky to have played Mario, Goldeneye, Zelda, and Final Fantasy over the years. I even went to the coin op arcade and played all the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat game(s). I do agree that modern day arcades aren’t what they use to be at all. They’re a shell of their former self.

I am in my mid 30’s and I have this odd feeling like guys my age feel like they always have to mention kids, teens, and young 20 somethings when they discuss video games. It’s lame. We have had many years of in depth discussions, discussions from the creators themselves, and many amazing moments playing video games. What’s with the ageism all of a sudden? I don’t want to sound like I’m having a knee jerk reaction, but it royally sucks. lol That’s the end of my rant.

Last edited:
I'm 50 in a month's time.
The answer is yes. :)
In particular, the Switch has been great for reminding me why I love videogames. I don't know why it's that machine in particular that does it...maybe it just feels like a "pure" video game console compared to the Xboxs' and Playstations???? Though I can understand why Nintendo's barebones approach to everything people expect from modern gaming hardware and "ecosystem" would frustrate and entertain in equal measure.

Game ass games, that's why.

GeekyDad

I'm 50, and I currently run my 3DS battery down once or twice a day playing FFT A2. Sometimes I'll throw in Chinatown Wars just to be ridiculous. Games are the one pastime I share with a co-worker. It makes him happy to discuss games with me, so I feel good knowing it makes him happy. Not sure games are shedding any years off of me, but I do still enjoy them like I did when I was a kid.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I'll be 39 in a month. I've recently been struggling to find enjoyment in playing games. I play games pretty much every day, usually before bed, but lately I just cruise through the deals in the various e-stores and then just wind up playing RE4 over and over. I think I may need a break from gaming. I've seen tons of posts on this forum over the years of people going through the exact same thing, so I know I'm not alone, it's just weird finding a bit of an empty feeling in something that used to bring me such elation.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
has there ever been any research into whether games help with the aging process? I’ve always felt they might help to keep the mind active potentially staving off some of the more mental issues that older people can suffer from.

Raven117

I don't know. Sometimes.

Sometimes, I think games just aren't for me anymore. Then, other times, I'm 13 years old playing Chrono Trigger for the first time on release date.

Its mixed.

sertopico

It's kind of a double-edged sword, because going back to games, songs or movies of your childhood does bring you back in time, but after a while it also hits you like "damn, this thing's 20 years old".
And sometimes it's also like "WTF was I listening/watching/playing at that time?!"

Top Bottom