• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the end of American civilization: $4 a gallon gas on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon in the near future, a pricing analyst said Wednesday.

"There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"

OPIS tracks wholesale and retail oil prices and provides pricing information for AAA's daily reports on fuel prices.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it "doesn't take a genius" to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

"Consumers haven't seen the worst of it yet," Brockwell said.

He expects consumers in the Southeast and Northeast to be pinched first, following the impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast region.

Katrina forced operators to close more than a tenth of the country's refining capacity and a quarter of its oil production, which sent gasoline prices surging.

The nationwide average price for a gallon of regular unleaded hit a fresh high of $2.619 Wednesday, according to AAA, the largest U.S. motorist organization, formerly known as the American Automobile Association.

Average gasoline prices have gained 40 percent in the last year.

This is going to get bad, and that's 4 dollars in the NE and SE god forbid what Cali's and AZ's gas prices will look like.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This is the first analyst I've heard say $4+, most have simply said $3+ from what I've been reading.... $4.... I don't see it... $3+... definitely.

AirBrian

gas1.jpg

Store-up now, ladies.

Razoric

Banned
DarienA said:
This is the first analyst I've heard say $4+, most have simply said $3+ from what I've been reading.... $4.... I don't see it... $3+... definitely.

I think we'll see $4. In SC I'm already seeing $2.80 and I just asked a friend in new york and he says $3.40. It'll be at $4 in no time.

Well we would have to verify that gas is now being purchased at 3 dollars a gallon. If they are doing that wholesale then yes that's all she wrote. You still have to include the cost for shipping it and taxes.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
goodcow said:
This is definitely going to increase the price of Amazon Prime next year. :(

:lol :lol :lol You really bring it upon yourself dude haha.

I am glad I drive a shitty little corolla. I am paying $30 to fill my tank now every week while my boss is paying $72 a week for his trailblazer... wooohahaha

Ark-AMN

Banned
Instigator said:
Hopefully, this will destroy the surbubian way of life and force people back into cities. :)

Crap no. I hate the cities, most of them are ****holes, especially here in San Francisco (you want me to live in Oakland?? Fuck no. Its worse than cities in Iraq).

argon

Southern California is screwed!

Now I'm glad I moved 2 blocks away from my work. What was once a 30-40 minute commute is now within walking distance =)

I'm screwed.

My job depneds on driving from site to site, I'm gonna see about getting a smaller car, I only got the one I have now because my other one crapped out on me.

xabre

Banned
jett said:
Welcome to the rest of the motherfucking world.

Exactly. Pampered Americans and their pissant petrol prices. Tax that motherfucker like the rest of us and ease your rabid gluttonous consumption.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
commute less than 10 minutes.. so I am happy I only need to fill up my precious Volvo once a week...
My travel season starts in two weeks and I get a company car for 4 months and a gas card.. .damn i feel sorry for my University... I am using that card all fall/winter

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
jett said:
Welcome to the rest of the motherfucking world.

Good point, other places have paid $3-4 a gallon for awhile.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Prospero said:
I'm glad I have a ten-minute commute to work.

+1. I don't even get on the highways. I've been rolling on a 1/4 tank of gas for the past 4 days now. I'll probably fill up today a little just to finish off the week's commute. I've stopped going out every single day, because this is just too much.

xabre said:
Exactly. Pampered Americans and their pissant petrol prices. Tax that motherfucker like the rest of us and ease your rabid gluttonous consumption.

Wow, you really are an asshole aren't you?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
If this is the end of American civilization, bring it on! People will adjust, and when they do, they will be way happier not being stuck in car traffic all day 'n night.

Myself I converted to bus/walking, and I don't care if rising diesel costs make the bus fares quadruple; it's still healthier and more soothing than commuting by car.

raYne

Shamelessly stolen from Squirrel Killer in another thread:
Squirrel Killer said:
Hell if I know, but can't we all just agree that this guy is an incredible prick?
r498314164.jpg

Joe Stevens, of Mobile, Alabama, fills his 1,500 gallon gasoline tank after waiting for approximately one hour in line at a Shell gas station along Interstate 10 in Mobile, Alabama August 30, 2005. Hurricane Katrina, which hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on August 29, caused numerous deaths, severe property damage and power outages in that part of the region. REUTERS/Frank Polich

I have a quarter tank of gas in my car at the moment and I'm cringing at the thought of heading to the gas station later... :(

DarienA

Gas threads are funny as hell because we always get the same dumbass responses.

1. That's what you Americans get... we pay $200/gallon for gas dammit!
2. Suburbs! Suburbs! Suburbs!
3. Peak Oil! Peak Oil! Peak Oil!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DarienA said:
Gas threads are funny as hell because we always get the same dumbass responses.

Pretty much nails it :lol

pollo

Banned
DarienA said:

what was that about suburbia again? :lol

Edit: shit Instigator beat me to it :lol

Fuck you people that say America is pampered. We have *shock* natural resources that allow us down the price of gas. I don't see where any of it comes from tax breaks. We are entitled to a lower price. Not to mention we are one fucking gigantic country where driving is a necessity to function. And guess what? These supply shocks won't only affect the US, but your country's as well. You wont be laughing when the price of imports sky rocket as well. Just wait.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the woman and I have always traditionally worked in opposite directions from home. Never on purpose, just always the way it worked. luckily she now works less than a 10 minute drive to work, and that is just traffic lights and stuff. she is actually about 4.7mi from work.

I'm still about 15 miles one way...... :(

Suikoguy

sans_pants said:
do you have brain troubles?

No its simply:

A·larm·ist
n.

A person who needlessly alarms or attempts to alarm others, as by inventing or spreading false or exaggerated rumors of impending danger or catastrophe.

ourumov

Not that I am against the american way of life...Actually I envy it...but well, IMO the whole US should change their mind regarding the use of the car. Specially in the extra-urban ways...
My father usually says that it's as stupid to own a car if you live in a city like New York as not owning one if you live in the rest of the states.
Dunno but in Spain (and in Italy too as I saw in the couple last weeks) the use of the train for short displacements is much more popular...

xabre

Banned
DarienA said:

Not exactly, equivalent here is $4.50 a gallon and that is a moderate price globally. Don't see me or anyone else bitching about high prices for petrol.

Horribly inefficient and sad industrialised pieces of country living.

Yes, it's either here or about to be.

DarienA

xabre said:
Not exactly, equivalent here is $4.50 a gallon and that is a moderate price globally. Don't see me or anyone else bitching about high prices for petrol.

Horribly inefficient and sad industrialised pieces of country living.

Yes, it's either here or about to be.

...would you take it personally if I told you in the most polite way to just please STFU about the suburbia bullshit? And I'm not even going to touch the Peak Oil stuff...actually I probably shouldn't even be bothering with the suburbia comments... fanatics can't be talked to....

teiresias

ourumov said:
Dunno but in Spain (and in Italy too as I saw in the couple last weeks) the use of the train for short displacements is much more popular...

That would be feasible if, you know, the rail system in the US didn't suck big floppy donkey dick.

ToxicAdam

We should allow illegal immigrants in and hire them out as rickshaw drivers.

:lol

Come on! At least I am offering solutions here, people!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Chipopo said:
15 miles, freeway driving.

riding a bike to work at an average of 14 miles an hour (close to what I can average I think) you are looking at just over an hour for me to get there.... and when I do I am going to be drenched in sweat...

next-

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I paid $2.90 per gallon for Premium at a Shell station in Great Falls, VA this morning. My wife paid $2.99 per gallon for Diesel in Leesburg today.

Malleymal, you have a 10 minute commute and you STILL have to fill up your Volvo once a week? Your car either consumes too much gas, has too small a gas tank, or both :)

My Beetle convertible gets around 25-28MPG and has a 14.2 gallon tank. My wife's Beetle is a diesel, gets 38-45MPG with a 14.2 gallon tank.

Boogie

xabre said:

Where do you live?

ourumov

borghe said:
15 miles, freeway driving.

riding a bike to work at an average of 14 miles an hour (close to what I can average I think) you are looking at just over an hour for me to get there.... and when I do I am going to be drenched in sweat...

next-
tdf2001_1a.jpg

Well...You can always ask to one of your comrades...

Anyways if the railway system sucks so much as you say, the administration should do something.

DarienA

ourumov said:
Anyways if the railway system sucks so much as you say, the administration should do something.[/QUOTE]

Where is my Capt' Obvious picture... where?

EDIT:

Oh goodie I found 2!
[img]http://www.darienandrhonda.com/images/captain.jpg

captain_obvious.gif

This sucks. I'm planning on moving from the sprawling, suburb-like small city I live in now to Chicago in about a year, partially to reduce dependence on gas. I was hoping that gas prices wouldn't get high enough over the next year to seriously raise urban real estate prices, but now it looks like they may.

While driving home last night, I was seriously considering building my own electric car as I drove past a golf course. Why the hell couldn't I just buy a golf cart, add some gearing and safety modifications to it and drive it around? My commute is a hell of a lot shorter (timewise) than a round of golf, and those carts go all day without have to be recharged.

ourumov

DarienA said:
Where is my Capt' Obvious picture... where?
Look for it in the gas station...Above the 4$ price tag.

Anyways it might sound VERY obvious and everything you want...But if I pointed that is because considering the Bush thesis or even the Democrat part I see this pretty unlikely. A lot of people would see a thing like this like an attack to the American Way of Life and probably be against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom