• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way too LTTP: Avatar The Last Airbender (Unmarked spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That episode is fantastic, and it's there where we find out just how OP Katara is. I love how vengeful she became, but even so she couldn't commit to murdering someone. The episodes where everyone has their little outing with Zuko are all great - I love the one where he and Aang visit the ancient dragons, or where he and Zuko go to the Boiling Rock prison (which was where I fell in love with Suki).

Toph saying how sad she is that she didn't get her own growth episode with Zuko is one of the best meta jokes in the series. The other, IMO, is the second season 3 trailer where the show's creators troll the people that wanted Katara to end up with Zuko.

Violet_0

Banned
honestly, Korra is worth is for S1, 'Beginnings' and S3. S4 is okay-ish as well

Korra S1 is mostly pretty good to great with a couple of misfires in regards to the subplots, an underwhelming reveal and a rather ballsy ending
S3 is quality all the way through and you'd be sorry to miss it, it comes pretty close to prime A:TLA occasionally

the biggest crime of Korra is that the main cast isn't nearly as likeable or well-written as the original Team Avatar, until much later when they finally begin to play off each other. The side characters on the other hand are often memorable, interesting and/or funny, including most of the villians

Skip Korra like the plague, unless you like watching Mary Sue[/b) being rewarded with a Deus ex Machina which completely obliterates her character development.

I don't think you actually know what either of these mean.

Don't skip Korra. Just be warned that Book 2 is a slog, except for two specific episodes. Book 4 is very divisive, I thought it was good. Book 3 is as good as anything in ATLA.

lHnaAHh.gif

Yr6Y8YS.gif

74Amq7q.gif

DMRpZLj.gif

Sokka and Toph had such a great dynamic. We need a spin off comic that is just Toph and Sokka going on crazy adventures filled with bad puns.

Bold One

Can we also talk about how HYPE the season 3 trailers were at the time? Goddamn

Aang with hair? Who is the bad ass looking dude with the sword? Aang flying into the capital of the FIRE NATION!??! WUTUTUTUTUTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IprN2CynxNI

ZUKO AND AANG TRAINING TOGETHER!?! DRAGONS!?!??! Ozai facing off against Aang with Sozin's comet rising right behind Aang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5avd9_8rXH0

Fucking Yes!

Hype as fuck, I remembered seeing Avatar Roku bending the elements, not knowing who it was and people around me speculating that it was Ozai and he's somehow gained

But man it was soo good, Book 3 is when Toph became the most GOAT bender of all time.

All hail the Melon Lord!!!!

Watched the first episode of Korra, it's entertaining but some things feel off. Maybe it's because I'm watching right after TLA

1)
So Katara is still alive, but Aang died already? Do they cover how and why in the show?
2)
Like I get that the Fire Nation was relatively technologically advanced and Toph invented metalbending, but the technological advancement between TLA and Korra is kind of ridiculous. It hasn't even been a lifetime since TLA, as Katara is around.
3)
I can already see why the story and character development might not have the same heft. I guess TLA has that advantage of us following an outsider perspective, but it's like meeting up with Korra at the end of her journey, already having trained and mastered other elements, while Aang, we got to see him grow from solid airbender to learning and training with the elements throughout the show towards his main goal. It was a natural way of showing us the world and a natural hero's journey. The stakes grew as our protagonist grew.

Watched the first episode of Korra, it's entertaining but some things feel off. Maybe it's because I'm watching right after TLA

1)
So Katara is still alive, but Aang died already? Do they cover how and why in the show?
2)
Like I get that the Fire Nation was relatively technologically advanced and Toph invented metalbending, but the technological advancement between TLA and Korra is kind of ridiculous. It hasn't even been a lifetime since TLA, as Katara still around.
3)
I can already see why the story and character development might not have the same heft. I guess TLA has that advantage of us following an outsider perspective, but it's like meeting up with Korra at the end of her journey, already having trained and mastered other elements, while Aang, we got to see him grow from solid airbender to learning and training with the elements throughout the show towards his main goal. It was a natural way of showing us the world and a natural hero's journey. The stakes grew as our protagonist grew.

I believe they explained the idea was that the other nations didn't get to contribute much to technological advancement while being under Fire Nation occupation.

But a return to peace after a century of war led to surge in new innovations.

GhaleonEB

1)
2)
Like I get that the Fire Nation was relatively technologically advanced and Toph invented metalbending, but the technological advancement between TLA and Korra is kind of ridiculous. It hasn't even been a lifetime since TLA, as Katara still around.
3)
I too have seen the first episode of Korra.

I have not seen the second episode, for some of the same reasons.

Violet_0

Banned

you should consider giving it another try, then. S1 has lots of cool moments, Amon is an awesome character (well, for the most part)
really, aside from a certain triangle it's pretty solid

I never thought the technical progress of the Avatar world in between the two shows was odd, they already had air ships in A:TLA. I think Korra takes place around 50+ years later? The widespread use of metal/lightning bending probably helped accelerating the process, it doesn't seem too far-fetched for me

Actually was looking for some retrospective and analysis of TLA online, and came across this pretty great discussion on power creep that compares the structures of TLA and Korra pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtNzgvoussk

And he touches on that exactly same point regarding where Korra starts versus where Aang starts

Yeeesss! Fantastic show, up there with Batman: The Animated Series. The art style, the animation, the VA. The designs, the world building... It all meshed together perfectly to give us this greatness.

Shame this isn't on Netflix UK anymore.

Also, Iroh is the best. Leaves From The Vine hit me hard.

I don't think you actually know what either of these mean.

Don't skip Korra. Just be warned that Book 2 is a slog, except for two specific episodes. Book 4 is very divisive, I thought it was good. Book 3 is as good as anything in ATLA.
"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

- Korra can bend as soon as she's introduced as a CHILD.
- Is known to have mastered everything but airbending (lol on this)
- wants to play probending as soon as she sees it. Isn't punished by interfering, and joins the team and WINS the game
- loses all bending abilities...but airbends afterwards anyways because fuck it

I think that's sufficient enough, because I can certainly keep going. And I KNOW you're not going to tell me that Aang giving her everything back doesn't fall under DeM.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
One episode that has an emotional subtlety that's almost unheard of in animation, and isn't mentioned all too often, is the one where Katara and Zuko hunt down the man who killed Sokka and Katara's mother. It's shot in muted, dark colours, and Katara is merciless in seeking him out. In the end she chooses not to kill him, not out of forgiveness as such, but because he's became such a pathetic, withered excuse of a man that she can't bring herself to. The animation of that sequence in the rain is as impressive as almost anything I've ever seen.

The Southern Raiders is in my Top 5 episodes list. It's not just because it's shockingly dark (off-screen murder, attempted murder, violation of another being, vengeance quest), but it's done in a way that completely jives with how these characters work.

- Zuko would absolutely enable Katara's darker tendencies, with his need to be accepted and forgiven.
- Katara would absolutely resort to anything to track down the person who destroyed her childhood.
- Aang would naturally object to the path that Katara embarks on, but would trust her to pull back.
- Katara would never be able to do what Aang does and forgive those who took away her family, but would have the capacity to forgive Zuko.
- Zuko would totally call Aang out on his peaceful, non-killing stance, having confronted his genocidal father.

The villain being a pathetic shell of a man was such a great subversion of what one would envision the killer to be. That scene at the end - the rain, the music, the composition - damn. I can still remember it after all these years.

Ferrio

Banned

1)

Isn't the reason
Aang is a lot older than everyone else technically? Ya he was frozen, but he was still alive during those 100 years so it shortened his life?

As for 2
I like to think of the fire nation war as pretty much the dark ages, once it was gone there was nothing stopping scientific progress. It's also been 70 years, think back to 1950 to today.

Actually was looking for some retrospective and analysis of TLA online, and came across this pretty great discussion on power creep that compares the structures of TLA and Korra pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtNzgvoussk

And he touches on that exactly same point regarding where Korra starts versus where Aang starts
I don't know why a lot of critics knock the avatar state aang vs ozai fight on an emotional level. I mean it's not as heavy with emotional stakes as Zuko and Azula having duel for the crown but it's still pretty heavy. As a viewer it's frightening to see Aang like this once again but also very cathartic as he's been on the defensive for a lot of the fight

JSevere

On that foundation of fascinating characters and their personal journeys, the show constructed a world rich with history and culture. From the lore and bending arts and philosophies, to the distinct looks and aesthetic and cultural differences between each nation, its people, their beliefs and values, their ways of combining bending with infrastructure, Avatar presents a world that really deserves the kind of expanded universe that Star Wars and Harry Potter got.

wholeheartedly agree with this, Bryke came up with a super creative and original world and I wish Nick would do more with it than just the comics they're putting out right now. if not a new series then I'd love some animated movies set in the same universe

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

1)
2)
Like I get that the Fire Nation was relatively technologically advanced and Toph invented metalbending, but the technological advancement between TLA and Korra is kind of ridiculous. It hasn't even been a lifetime since TLA, as Katara is around.
3)

1) The official explanation is that Aang used up a lot of his lifeforce while he was in suspended animation in the iceberg, so he died in his 60's.
2) Three-quarters of a century of relative peace and prosperity after a world war led to a very different world in real life, so I can buy that.
3) I think it was a great idea to change from a journey type of show to a stay-put type of show, ala Star Trek when it went from The Next Generation to the even better Deep Space Nine. Remaining in Republic City could have allowed writers to craft a deeper world which would fit with the more serious and mature themes they are trying to explore with Korra, and for Korra to learn about a new world that comes to her. Unfortunately, the miniseries format was not a good fit for that type of storytelling, as they were forced to do a villain for each season.

Altazor

2)

it's set more or less 70 years after ATLA - if that series was set in a fictional mid-19th Century-ish world, the jump to a Roaring Twenties fantasy world isn't that jarring. I admit the sudden change/jump in technology felt too much at first, but I kinda grew accustomed to it during the first season.

I did miss the "simpler" ATLA feel throughout the series, though.

"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

-
Korra can bend as soon as she's introduced as a CHILD.
- wants to play probending as soon as she sees it. Isn't punished by interfering, and joins the team and WINS the game

I think that's sufficient enough, because I can certainly keep going. And I KNOW you're not going to tell me that Aang giving her everything back doesn't fall under DeM.
A) Being the Avatar automatically means she isn't "low-rank".
B) She is a fucking mess emotionally and is an egomaniac.
C) She had a predilection for firebending yes, but she was training constantly for 14 years to master the other two.

So, how is she a Mary Sue again?

Also, Energy Bending was already established in lore. It may have been a Deus ex Machina when it was first revealed in ATLA, but by definition it isn't one afterwards. Aang is a known character. Energy bending is a known ability. Transfer of knowledge or power from past lives to the current avatar is a known ability.

You are flying fast and loose with these definitions just to shit on the show. It has problems yes, but not to the level you attempt to describe.

Yeah, 70 years worth of technological advancement makes the difference very plausible. I mean just compare 2016 to 1946 to 1876. Sleek self-driving cars to first gen cars to horse carriages.

Yeah, 70 years worth of technological advancement makes the difference very plausible. I mean just compare 2016 to 1946 to 1876. Sleek self-driving cars to first gen cars to horse carriages.
Yeah. As Korra's time is supposed to be analogous to the Roaring 20s, Aang's time would be equivalent to the 1850s. Fire Nation tech is only slightly ahead of our world. Steamships, trains, etc. The only things that really stick out a bit as being a too far are the zeppelins and tanks, but even then not by much.

Ouroboros

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm trying to get my fiancee to start watching this again with me and she is really turned off by the childing humor in the first few episodes. I am trying to convince her that the payoff is so huge if you stick through the first season but she just isn't interested.

Maybe I need to show her this thread and she will give it another shot.

I'm trying to get my fiancee to start watching this again with me and she is really turned off by the childing humor in the first few episodes. I am trying to convince her that the payoff is so huge if you stick through the first season but she just isn't interested.

That's what turned me off when I first tried to get into the show a few months, but I'm so glad I stuck with it now. You eventually get used to it, and it helps balance out the darker and emotional aspects of the show

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Yeah, I mean, I started with the show on while I would clean or do chores. Thought it seemed like something that nerds had just convinced themselves was better than it was because it was animated and had asian influences. I became enraptured with the show during season 2.

JackDT

The conflict in season one of Korra is a fascinating direction to take the show. But it's way too quickly wrapped up when the central issue of the problem wouldn't actually go away.

Apparently Korra season one was created with the expectation there would be no more seasons, so they compressed it all into one season and wrapped it all up. If it had been spread out over seasons and mixed in with the other conflicts it could be a pretty rich issue to mine

1)
2)
3)
No it's more like it starts off amazing and with potential for all customers but falls in on itself turning into sludge.

Yeah. As Korra's time is supposed to be analogous to the Roaring 20s, Aang's time would be equivalent to the 1850s. Fire Nation tech is only slightly ahead of our world. Steamships, trains, etc. The only things that really stick out a bit as being a too far are the zeppelins and tanks, but even then not by much.

Early Korra was fine.

Like the
Whole idea of Cars and electricity powered homes and stuff made perfect since.

But by the end of Book 4
we had regular walking mechs. Which I feel made too far of a jump, but it's hard to say. That's really my only qualm with the technological aspect, though.

The conflict in season one of Korra is a fascinating direction to take the show. But it's way too quickly wrapped up when the central issue of the problem wouldn't actually go away.

Apparently Korra season one was created with the expectation there would be no more seasons, so they compressed it all into one season and wrapped it all up. If it had been spread out over seasons and mixed in with the other conflicts it could be a pretty rich issue to mine

Unfortunately almost every season was like this. The creators had no idea how many seasons/episodes they were going to be given. They didn't even get approval for Season 2 until after most of Season 1 aired. Season 3 and 4 was green lighted just before Season 2 aired, but Season 4 was "Punished" by Season 2's performance, and it's budget was heavily reduced. This is literally why Season 4 has a "clips" episode with little chibi characters instead of the normal show.

Also, Energy Bending was already established in lore. It may have been a Deus ex Machina when it was first revealed in ATLA, but by definition it isn't one afterwards. Aang is a known character. Energy bending is a known ability. Transfer of knowledge or power from past lives to the current avatar is a known ability.
since when can spirits bend? Roku could only bend in the real world when he possessed Aang. Same with the ocean spirit. I mean you could say that Aang energybending Korra was visual short hand for him doing it to himself as her but it still seems pretty ass pully. So is getting complete control over the avatar state from it. That's not just simple knowledge or power you can transfer, especially for someone who for some odd reason has never triggered it despite the numerous times she's been in mortal danger

since when can spirits bend? Roku could only bend in the real world when he possessed Aang. Same with the ocean spirit. I mean you could say that Aang energybending Korra was visual short hand for him doing it to himself as her but it still seems pretty ass pully. So is getting complete control over the avatar state from it. That's not just simple knowledge or power you can transfer, especially for someone who for some odd reason has never triggered it despite the numerous times she's been in mortal danger

How is that any different than
Aang's past lives freezing him in an iceberg to protect him for 100 years?

I'm sure he didn't know how to Waterbend at that point, let alone connect to his Avatar state.

How is that any different than
Aang's past lives freezing him in an iceberg to protect him for 100 years?

I'm sure he didn't know how to Waterbend at that point, let alone connect to his Avatar state.
It's completely different scenario. He's in the avatar state first of all, he's just doing some regular ass waterbending. How does ghost aang appear out of body to energy bend her? That's why I brought up the maybe that it's visual shorthand.

What does that have to do with anything. The avatar state is the defense mechanism of the avatar, he doesn't need to know how to connect or do waterbending at that point cause he's going to freaking die in the storm

Pau

That's what turned me off when I first tried to get into the show a few months, but I'm so glad I stuck with it now. You eventually get used to it, and it helps balance out the darker and emotional aspects of the show
I think it's not until rewatching the series that you can appreciate the childishness of the first episodes instead of waiting to get to the more mature and complex stuff. It really shows the change the characters go through. These are kids who, despite some of the heavy stuff they've already been through (unknown to the viewer) are still very much innocent. Once you know what's in store for them it's like yeah, enjoy your childhood while you can.

The same thing happened with (I believe) Season 1 and Season 2 of Young Justice. I wish companies wouldn't work like that because it totally inhibits decent storytelling

It's completely different scenario. He's in the avatar state first of all, he's just doing some regular ass waterbending. How does ghost aang appear out of body to energy bend her? That's why I brought up the maybe that it's visual shorthand.

What does that have to do with anything. The avatar state is the defense mechanism of the avatar, he doesn't need to know how to connect or do waterbending at that point cause he's going to freaking die in the storm

I don't think cryogenically freezing oneself counts as "regular old water bending"

I suppose the difference is I subscribe to the whole Korra was suicidal at that moment in time, and that was her "avatar state" to help protect her.

Back on topic, one of the coolest use of bending was the rock and metal armor suits that Aang and Toph would create. Toph going all power-armor on the airship pilots in the finale was so damn satisfying

yVCLOsQ.gif

Seriously, Toph was the best. Sorry, Daredevil, you've been upstaged

Back on topic, one of the coolest use of bending was the rock and metal armor suits that Aang and Toph would create. Toph going all power-armor on the airship pilots in the finale was so damn satisfying

yVCLOsQ.gif

Seriously, Toph was the best. Sorry, Daredevil, you've been upstaged

Aang running up the wall in "The Drill" and then slamming down is probably one the high points for me. Literally just blows Azula away. Pretty much all the bending in the finale is straight nuts though, awesome shit all around.

Jacob

My advice to people whom I've recommended the show to is that if they find the first several episodes to be too juvenile, to skip ahead and watch "The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit" back to back as a sort of informal two-parter. If they still don't like the show after that it's probably not for them, which is fine, but at least they get a glimpse of the kind of show it grows into before making a final decision about whether or not to continue. I think the show is episodic enough, especially in the first season, that jumping ahead like this won't throw a viewer completely off-balance.

Amazing show. Toph > all

Now watch its superior sequel: The Legend of Korra

- Korra can bend as soon as she's introduced as a CHILD.

A) Mark your spoilers

B) Korra is not a Mary Sue at all (I wouldn't be surprised if you think Rey is a Mary Sue as well) - she has many flaws and a lot of them are what cause her grief throughout the show

C) LoK is equal to ATLA (and this isn't just opinion - critic aggregates have them on par with each other) and, IMO, a superior show

Fuck outta here

Toph is by far the most powerful earthbender in the whole series, it's ridiculous just how strong she is.

Nobody saw that coming.

Not even her.
Her being blind was a pretty brilliant and plausible way to make her proficiency make sense. She's ridiculously strong but it makes sense why she's so strong.

Jacob

C) LoK is equal to ATLA (and this isn't just opinion - critic aggregates have them on par with each other) and, IMO, a superior show

It's questionable enough to suggest that critical consensus makes the quality of a TV show not a matter of opinion (the critics themselves are sharing their opinions, though ostensibly they're more informed opinions than most people's). But I think it's a particularly shaky claim to make in this instance because Avatar was almost completely ignored by TV critics when it originally aired. I can't find any reviews for it listed on Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, though if you had a different critical aggregate site in mind I'd be much obliged if you'd share a link. TBH, Korra itself has very few critic ratings listed on MC/RT, though I do remember that it was covered by a fair number of pop culture sites while it was airing and that critics were much less polarized in their (positive) take on it than the fandom was.

Take anything QuantumZebra says when it comes to LoK with the biggest grain of salt in the world.

5x6Ggc5.jpg

It's questionable enough to suggest that critical consensus makes the quality of a TV show not a matter of opinion (the critics themselves are sharing their opinions, though ostensibly they're more informed opinions than most people's). But I think it's a particularly shaky claim to make in this instance because Avatar was almost completely ignored by TV critics when it originally aired. I can't find any reviews for it listed on Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, though if you had a different critical aggregate site in mind I'd be much obliged if you'd share a link. TBH, Korra doesn't fare much better in terms of its MC/RT listings, though I do remember that it was covered by a fair number of pop culture sites while it was airing and that critics were much less polarized in their (positive) take on it than the fandom was.

The thread in NeoGAF itself was a good indicator of the quality imho.

S1= early start everybody hype, everybody rages with that shitty ending.

S2= Everybody hates it except for the 1 or 2 guys with questionable tastes. Lore goes out the window

S3= Absolutely everybody loved it, nitpicky shit about the villain's powers aside. But once again background goes out the window and you gotta go for the ride.

S4= Solid, but disappointing. But then with the ending all of a sudden the shippers forgive everything about the show and pretend it was an amazing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom