• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Q&A Revealed, Game to require always online connectivity?

Bgamer90

Banned
So, a whole bunch of online features automatically equals "always online connectivity requirement"?

It would be like using an article about Need for Speed's Autolog and assuming that NFS would require always online connectivity.

I think it would be good idea if a mod can change the thread title a little bit as of now, it's very possible that they could mean another thing too.

There's a question mark, so the OP isn't making a definitive statement on whether or not it's always online. I think that it's been something that people have questioned when it comes to this game. Their E3 slogan was "Everything is Connected". And they constantly talk about that connectivity in interviews and presentations. So it's a legitimate concern. If this gets picked up by other sites then maybe we'll get an official statement from UBI.

Marcel

There's a question mark, so the OP isn't making a definitive statement on whether or not it's always online. I think that it's been something that people have questioned when it comes to this game. Their E3 slogan was "Everything is Connected". And they constantly talk about that connectivity in interviews and presentations. So it's a legitimate concern. If this gets picked up by other sites then maybe we'll get an official statement from UBI.

I don't think flimsy-even-for-NeoGAF speculation is going to shake the foundations of Ubisoft PR.

watershed

Banned
I think its gonna be hard for this game to live up to the hype and some of the wording in the interview could definitely be suggesting an always connected requirement. This is probably the perfect game for a developer/publisher to make the argument that being always online is "essential" to the experience.

Rafy

How ironic, making a game about being under constant surveillance and the cons of constant connectivity and they make it playable only if you are online...

It's so screwed up it's not even funny...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ya where does this come from?

the thing where it's connected and someone is always watching whether it's single player or multiplayer

it's implied, but there's a chance they're just being metaphorical

based on Ubisoft's history with DRM, though...

GMM

Banned
Pretty sure Watch_Dogs has some kind of transparrent networking multiplayer solution in the style of Journey when played online, but i would expect a fully working offline singleplayer like Journey as well.

Unless Watch_Dogs needs these multiplayer features to make the gameplay function, there are no excuses for making it always online and i don't think Ubisoft wants the PR shitstorm EA is getting right now after clearly learning from their PC DRM.

Jacob4815

AC3 already included something like this.

22590-pivot-placingjpg.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It seems like they've hinted at a game invasion feature from other players so that's likely what they're referring to. I doubt the connection will be required.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
open world games bore me to tears, but this at least has my attention.

That bit about hyperconnectivity seems to just reinforce the idea that the gameplay revolves around networks and how you manipulate them, not requirements of the actual title.

Ubisoft learned their lesson with Always Online DRM and have since stopped doing it. They would reach a new level of idiocy to reintroduce it again a mere year or two after ditching it.

ultron87

They should either make it an actual online game where the central gameplay requires other people or do it like Dark Souls where being online isn't required but it makes the experience way more interesting. From this interview it sounds like they are doing the latter, so I'm fine with that.

AC3 already included something like this.

Wait, what the heck is a pivot? I've beaten AC3 and never encountered this.

Derrick01

Banned
I dunno I think if connectivity was such a big deal for this game as so many people seem to think it is, we would have heard at least something about it now. But the most we have is that last second footage of another player on top of a building at the end of the E3 demo.

Takuya

Banned
They already said you don't need to be online. But a lot of features are only available online, but that's justified in that the game is all about connectivity

BearPawB

Banned
The game has always hinted at extensive online components. I'm surprised anyone is surprised

I dunno I think if connectivity was such a big deal for this game as so many people seem to think it is, we would have heard at least something about it now. But the most we have is that last second footage of another player on top of a building at the end of the E3 demo.

And the camera has a name at the end of the ps4 demo

Did anyone else find it a bit disturbing how the main character in the E3 demo might have killed several people in getting to his objective. (the cars crashing)

I agree, in a way. Which is odd for me to agree with something like this.

If I'm trying to be a good guy, I'll cut down on the amount of collateral damage as often as possible. Of course, with a game like this, your decisions have consequences. If the death of innocents bothers you, then trying to limit your mistakes that get them killed will be a driving force in your play-style. During the demo I wondering if he'd have been able to save both people if he's gotten to the car with the couple in it sooner. I think it just boils down to how you play and how you choose to complete the game.

I'm not going to play this way, but I wonder if it's possible to beat them game without killing anyone.

MormaPope

Banned
Did anyone else find it a bit disturbing how the main character in the E3 demo might have killed several people in getting to his objective. (the cars crashing)

Is that what's seen as cool?

I don't think the main character is a good guy in any way, you're probing and manipulating people's lives to complete your own personal goals, a living and breathing Patriot Act.

Effect

I don't mind if certain things happen in the single player game if you system is connected online. The problem comes when you can't play a single player game without the online connection. Nothing wrong with optional. This is the big problem with EA and SimCity. There is no option to play without the connection. As long as Watch_Dogs has a true offline single player game then I'll get it. I want the ability to play it like that regardless if my system is constantly connected to the Internet.

Please don't make sweeping statements in your title based on your personal speculation.

I'm looking forward to kotaku picking this up, and then another run around of the internet rumor machine.

I don't mind if certain things happen in the single player game if you system is connected online. The problem comes when you can't play a single player game without the online connection. Nothing wrong with optional. This is the big problem with EA and SimCity. There is no option to play without the connection. As long as Watch_Dogs has a true offline single player game then I'll get it. I want the ability to play it like that regardless if my system is constantly connected to the Internet.

I'm not always near an internet connection with my laptop... so i don't buy games with always online DRM, I'd be buying junk code as far as my ability to use it is concerned...

Lan_97

The only thing I care about in this game is how accurately they depict Chicago. Optimally within the game, I will be able to take the cta to work, sit down at my desk, and start browsing gaf.

I doubt it'll be always online as a requirement. I'm more concerned about the immense amount of talent and detail that went into this game. It sounds impeccable.

MormaPope

Banned
The only thing I care about in this game is how accurately they depict Chicago. Optimally within the game, I will be able to take the cta to work, sit down at my desk, and start browsing gaf.

Posting as other Gaffers? Taking over mod accounts?

GafDogs.

Not that's a game I would buy.

padlock

It would be kind of funny if when you first start playing the game, it requires an always on connection, but then as you progress through the stroy and begin to circumvent 'the man', the requirement goes away.

Probably a little too meta though.

lantus

Fuck that, any game that I'm interested in and ends up having this can say goodbye to my sale. I won't be supporting this practice at all.

It'll probably be set up similar to Zombi U. Except instead of zombies of your friends, you have to deal with hacks that they've done that may interfere with your mission objectives or something. Spitballing here, obviously, but it makes more sense to me. Otherwise, it'd just be a multiplayer game if other players were constantly entering your world...

Burt

Someone needs to organize a serious boycott against always online games for at least the first year of next gen. Publishers will get the point after a year of dminished sales. It's just a shame that no one ever sticks to commitments like that, like in the LFD2 fiasco.

It seems like they've hinted at a game invasion feature from other players so that's likely what they're referring to. I doubt the connection will be required.

Yep probably game invasion option if online. I hope a connection isn't required, would possibly stop me from getting the game.

Tacitus_

It'll probably be set up similar to Zombi U. Except instead of zombies of your friends, you have to deal with hacks that they've done that may interfere with your mission objectives or something. Spitballing here, obviously, but it makes more sense to me. Otherwise, it'd just be a multiplayer game if other players were constantly entering your world...

Yeah. It could introduce some glorious emergent gameplay if the other players actions influence your view of the city as well. No playthrough would be similar since the modifiers would be other humans instead of scripts being picked by an RNG.

Top Bottom