• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the 'Seasonal Service' experiment with AC:Valhalla a success or failure?

How did you engage with Valhalla?

• I played the base game and moved on

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I played the base game, bought some DLC and moved on

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I played the base game and played a lot of the free seasons

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I played the base game and played a moderate amount of the free seasons

• I played the base game and played a little of the free seasons

• I did not play Valhalla but read this thread

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
I bailed out after the River Raids. I was really into the winter festival and extra items but there's just too much to play to keep these games installed for 2 years+ but how do you feel about the switch into a constantly updated title?

Free content for Valhalla
Discovery Tour (also part of prior titles);
Assassins Creed crossover stories;
The last chapter;

Seasonal free content
Yule festival
(Festival activities, new settlement hut, new gear, armour, items and settlement cosmetics.

New game mode, two new settlement buildings, Jomsviking ranks introduced, new skills, abilities, gear and longship cosmetics;

Ostrava festival (Festival activities, new haircuts, tattoos, raven skins and settlement cosmetics)

New game mode, new settlement buildings, new armor set, new achievements added. New weapons.

Sigrblot festival (Festival activities, new unique sword and settlement cosmetics)

Three new rivers for river raid mode. Additional of extra levels to Jomsviking building. Addition of extra longship levels for River Raid game mode. New player abilities, five extra weapons and tattoos, longship cosmetics.

Oskoreia festival (Festival activities, new game mode, achievements for new game mode)

'Spooky Rewards'

Season 5
Four new mastery challenges
Achievements for mastery challenges
New weapons, tattoos and cosmetic items for the settlement
New settlement building: Armory
New weapons and cosmetic items for the settlement available to purchase at Vagn's shop

Season 6
Nine new achievements
New game mode
New settlement building
New weapons, armor set, tatoos and cosmectic items for the settlement

** All time gated festival exclusive content is purchasable with in game currency so you are not locked out of acquiring anything.

Regular paid DLC
Wrath of the druids
The siege of Paris
Dawn of Ragnarok

Mr Hyde

I liked it because I enjoyed Valhalla (not finished with it though), so I didn't mind the extra free content and paid expansions. Although if you don't like the game I can see it being very excessive and bloated. It doesn't help with Ubis aggressive monetization scheme of weapons and armor. By far the worst part of the game. It should be content you find in the game.

Aenima

I played the base game, finished the main story and moved on. Did alot of side quests, finished the Odin quest line, but still left alot of side content from the base game to do.

kikii

played the base game and plat took around 5 months cuz game was buggy and missed some fishes and so on :D

One thing about gaming development is that it is very hard to be consistent. Nearly nothing goes according to plan, So if you plan for everything to run properly and be consistently releasing future content, you already lost.

Valve already tried that with the Episode system of Half Life 2 decades ago. it just doesn't work because you can't promise future content. That is why "roadmaps" suck and are usually ending up complete fantasies. it is nice to have constant income from live service games, but constant CONTENT ended up being far harder to deliver than anyone hoped for.

Look, it is already quite random if a game would turn out good or not, no matter how talented the team. So normal games are already a crapshot. Trying to consistently create good content on time and on budget is basically mission impossible.

i guess I am both defending life service games failing because they never had a chance, but also attacking them for not knowing how hard it is to keep itself alive.

Gojiira

I played the base, the dlc, the free updates and a couple of the seasonal stuff. Ngl it was quite a immersive game tbh and River Raids were a excellent addition. Not my favourite AC but honestly it was a lot of fun.

yamaci17

I finished base game at highest difficulty at the time
I finished all mastery challenges with 3 stars (and came back to the game whenever they added new challenges. but one of them was bugged, they later fixed it).
then after a 1.5 yr hiatus I returned and finished ireland and france DLCs. I rushed them. They were pretty bad and lackluster
I liked the forgotten sagan and Dawn of Ragnarok. they at least expanded some lore insights into the ISU stuff which I love. I love mythology

I love core valhalla gameplay. it was fun for me to return to the game at certain intervals. but DLCs were lackluster in terms of story and quality. they practically added nothing to the AC lore. they did not even add anything beneficial to the eivor character.

but River Raids. I ignored them. fully. it is just blatant content spam. nope.same with "festivals". they never got me interested. I gave one of their "festivals" a try. it wasn't fun for me.

new valkyrie difficulty was legit challenging and fun in dawn of ragnarök though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom