• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warren Spector breaks silence and finally implies 'his System Shock 3 is dead'

Draugoth

Gold Member

Warren Spector has implied in a new interview that his version of the long in development System Shock 3 is dead, although he stopped short of outright confirming it.

When asked about what has been happening at OtherSide and the circumstances around the ending of development on System Shock 3, Spector said:

We released a statement last year. There’s not much more to say at this point. Tencent is taking the franchise forward. It’ll be up to them to say what they want to say. There’s not much clarification I can give you.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Well at least we have the remake that has been in development for 6+ years..haha.....

Frustrated Kill Me GIF

intbal

Good.
Now he can go ask Tim Sweeney to buy the Deus Ex IP from Squeenix and they can get to work on a direct sequel to Invisible War.
Warren Spector + Unreal Engine + Deus Ex = gaming perfection

The_hunter

When's the last time he made a game, ten years ago in 2012 with Epic Mickey 2?

At his age it's possible we'll never see another game from him.

Concept art looks cool, reminds me of Mirrodin from 2000's era mtg with Nausicaa.

Last edited:
I’m fully expecting his next game to be 100% vaporware. Just him and a small team working on a project that won’t go anywhere beyond an endless pre-production phase.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Prey 2017 was already good enough as a system shock 3 in my opinion. We just need the damn SS1 remake to be finished and we’ll have a based trilogy.

TheMan

All my old developer heroes just fell off after that. Richard Garriott, Chris Robert's, and Warren Spector have done fuck all since their classics.
Yup. Making a game nowadays is just so completely different from the 80s and 90s. Like, a big team back then was probably 20-30 people. Nowadays that's just the amount of people making grass in an open world game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Disappointing. I was always rooting for OtherSide, they had a ton of really talented veterans on the team and a lot of big ideas, good ideas, but they did not of have the resources to execute on them, or a publisher that had their back at all. The decision to release Underworld Ascendant in blatantly unplayable shape just destroyed that company.

And for as bad as that launch was, the game had a lot of promise. Some hefty patches did eventually get the game playable and it did some really cool things, but it was just too little too late to make it what it should have been.

It seems like System Shock 3 suffered from some of those same problems and also some of the lessons learned about scope, and that the game was on target to be something much smaller than anyone was hoping. I hoped Tencent might have reached the game from that fate with their deep pockets but I guess not :(

Verchod

He needs to go somewhere that has money, and a capable team.
Go work at Arkane, with MS money great things could be created.
Then we'd just need Microsoft to bully Square into giving up the Deus Ex IP, and Thief, and maybe we could have some games worth playing.

Top Bottom