• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Space Marine 2 coming 2023

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Looks awesome! This can't come soon enough.

Would love some co-op on this one though.

Highly likely this game will be released around the same time as the 10th edition of the tabletop game, which should be in summer.

The rumour is that the starter box for the 10th edition is Tyranids Vs Space Marines (Blood Angels apparently), so this makes sense.

Razvedka

Banned
This looked so cool, I'm still playing through inquisitor:martyr which I'm loving. First game to get me into 40k tbh. Story is so wild. I need to dig into finding more lore to get myself more educated on 40k.
40k is best described 'as a setting'. There's many, many, many characters, stories, factions, and places. There are a handful of characters which could be described as 'main characters' in the setting- for instance, (the newly resurrected) Roboute Guilliman, Abaddon the Despoiler, etc. But even then, most stories aren't from their pov vs simply involving them or their exploits.

So I've no doubt you're going to enjoy yourself. The universe is so big that there are many different genres. Inquisitor series is lovecraftian horror and mystery, Gaunt's Ghosts is basically Saving Private Ryan in Space, Ciaphas Cain is the closest thing to a comedy you'll get, and so on.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Basically you're a Space fascist,

Although that used to be the idea (although never admitted by GW) , Games Workshop have been distancing themselves form the F word and the far right.

This isn't a troll or a joke, but I'd absolutely be expecting women space marines in the 10th edition and a more peaceful, inclusive imperium of Man. To make the game more popular, they're going to make the whole hobby and the lore more inclusive.

Razvedka

Banned
Although that used to be the idea (although never admitted by GW) , Games Workshop have been distancing themselves form the F word and the far right.

This isn't a troll or a joke, but I'd absolutely be expecting women space marines in the 10th edition and a more peaceful, inclusive imperium of Man. To make the game more popular, they're going to make the whole hobby and the lore more inclusive.

This would destroy the setting. 40k is about 'grimdark' and the oppressiveness of life in the universe. As for inclusivity, I'd argue it's already there- and always has been. Guardsmen have included women in the fiction since I can remember, you have Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence, various Inquisitors are chicks. Sexuality is occasionally mentioned (straight, gay, etc) but sparsely because romance and who you're banging pretty much never factor into the plot of the book/lore snippet. It's always something horrifying and violent.

Salamanders are canonically black, as is Vulkan. Thousand Sons are of middle eastern lineage, World Eaters are slavs, White Scars are Mongols/Chinese/East Asian, etc.

Female space marines would be silly because there are already the Sisters of Battle and Sisters of Silence. Space Marines themselves are sterile and every pound of their flesh shaped towards violence. What would a female space marine even look like? There'd be no point in giving her breasts or her having an ounce of body fat (or otherwise exhibiting the typical female curves/slenderness). A perfect transition for a female applicant would, in theory, make her look like any other (male) space marine. There'd be no telling. Space Marines are also, with only two exceptions I can think of, entirely asexual.*

If they wanted to really emphasize 'its a woman!' she'd just be a slightly smaller and curvier space marine. At that point, I'd just point to the Sisters of Battle/Silence.

The lore and setting do not need changes for the sake of inclusivity. It's fine as it is- and wildly popular as is.

*Bjorn the Fellhanded, after internment into a Dreadnought sarcophagus, seemingly flirted with a Fenrisian female inquisitor. Also: The Emperor's Children are obviously hyper-turbo-sexual in an Event Horizon kind of way.

Last edited:
This would destroy the setting. 40k is about 'grimdark' and the oppressiveness of life in the universe. As for inclusivity, I'd argue it's already there- and always has been. Guardsmen have included women in the fiction since I can remember, you have Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence, various Inquisitors are chicks. Sexuality is occasionally mentioned (straight, gay, etc) but sparsely because romance and who you're banging pretty much never factor into the plot of the book/lore snippet. It's always something horrifying and violent.

Salamanders are canonically black, as is Vulkan. Thousand Sons are of middle eastern lineage, World Eaters are slavs, White Scars are Mongols/Chinese/East Asian, etc.

Female space marines would be silly because there are already the Sisters of Battle and Sisters of Silence. Space Marines themselves are sterile and every pound of their flesh shaped towards violence. What would a female space marine even look like? There'd be no point in giving her breasts or her having an ounce of body fat (or otherwise exhibiting the typical female curves/slenderness). A perfect transition for a female applicant would, in theory, make her look like any other (male) space marine. There'd be no telling. Space Marines are also, with only two exceptions I can think of, entirely asexual.*

If they wanted to really emphasize 'its a woman!' she'd just be a slightly smaller and curvier space marine. At that point, I'd just point to the Sisters of Battle/Silence.

The lore and setting do not need changes for the sake of inclusivity. It's fine as it is- and wildly popular as is.

*Bjorn the Fellhanded, after internment into a Dreadnought sarcophagus, seemingly flirted with a Fenrisian female inquisitor. Also: The Emperor's Children are obviously hyper-turbo-sexual in an Event Horizon kind of way.
I wish i had your optimism. Nothing is sacred and 40k has already been targetted.

Top Bottom