• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 Needs A Good AAA Game

I think we're getting to the point that Warhammer 40,000 is becoming a lot more popular. I would like to say that I'm not exactly a fan of that happening as it means they're going to probably start making it more "appealing" to broad and modern audiences.

However, it seems like game developers (and GDW perhaps) are much more serious about making good video games based off the setting.

What I wonder is forever going to see a high budget game? Space Marine 2 probably looks like the most highest budget game so far but I'm talking something that's much more in the AAA category. That is unless you consider Space Marine to be that.

If so, what would you like to see them do with it?

I know they're all made by well-known publishers and developers. I never thought of them as being big budget games but perhaps I'm wrong.

Yeah, they're all big-budget games.

But you're right, with the increase in popularity that I'm sure the upcoming Henry Cavil show and movies will bring to the IP, we'll start to see even more spicy, bigger-budget stuff coming out.

I want a full The Witcher 3-style big-budget third-person WRPG set in Warhammer 40k universe. Set it during the Horus Heresy and I'd buy that at such a fucking high price.

Yeah, they're all big-budget games.

But you're right, with the increase in popularity that I'm sure the upcoming Henry Cavil show and movies will bring to the IP, we'll start to see even more spicy, bigger-budget stuff coming out.

I want a full The Witcher 3-style big-budget third-person WRPG set in Warhammer 40k universe. Set it during the Horus Heresy and I'd buy that at such a fucking high price.
I like Henry Cavill and he's honestly a huge fan of Warhammer 40,000 but I'm really nervous about that show. He's going to have to answer the higher ups who are going to make sure it's appealing to modern audiences, so to speak.

I like Henry Cavill and he's honestly a huge fan of Warhammer 40,000 but I'm really nervous about that show. He's going to have to answer the higher ups who are going to make sure it's appealing to modern audiences, so to speak.

I was nervous when it was announced that it was being backed by Amazon, however, when I learned that Henry Cavil was attached to the project before they even got any writers or showrunners involved, it gave a bit of reassurance. Since I suspect they got Cavil in early to help put the creative team together who will spearhead the project. I'm sure he'll be a major voice in the direction of the show and movies they're gonna do.... I hope so.

I just don't want anyone that was involved in the Wheel of Time or Rings of Power abortions anywhere near this.

Lasha

Do we really need to worry if the inevitable strong sassy black trans female character ends up purging heresy and exterminating xenos like everybody else?

Razvedka

Banned
I'd absolutely love one. Need it.

Maybe Space Marine 2 will be that game? But I'm getting kind of uneasy with the (sparse) trailers they've released.

Do we really need to worry if the inevitable strong sassy black trans female character ends up purging heresy and exterminating xenos like everybody else?

If their writing is shit and they're a cardboard cutout Mary-Sue self-insert instead of a properly developed character with an actual character arc.... then... yes.

Lasha

If their writing is shit and they're a cardboard cutout Mary-Sue self-insert instead of a properly developed character with an actual character arc.... then... yes.
Mary-sues are already a thing.

Warhammer_40000_SM_Gallery_Art_3_1200x800.0.jpg

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
As a huge WH40k nerd (including tabletop), I agree with OP. Darktide is the closest we've got to a modern 40k AAA. And it is still broken mess without a palpable roadmap. Despite the top-notch asethetics and brilliant soundtrack. It is also MP only.

Other 40k games are nice and all, but they are either strategies, borderline cheap indies or tabletop adaptations. Even better titles (like Armada or Mechanicus) are clearly on a cheap side production-wise.

I cannot wait for Space Marine 2, because judging by the trailers, it will be an AAA moment for the setting we're all waiting for. Especially from the production values standpoint.

Cyberpunkd

Cyberpunkd

You have to worry if said character will start preaching living with Xenos in peace and harmony and how the Tyranids are “just misunderstood”.

#bugslivesmatter

Hudo

I present to you:

- Dawn of War 1 (and some heretics think Dawn of War 2 is also good)
- Space Marine
- Battlefleet Gothic 2 (but it can be argued that's it's only "OK", it depends on what you enjoy)
- The upcoming Rogue Trader by Owlcat (maybe? The Bufffinder games were needlessly bloated with stuff but that was due to the Pathfinder ruleset and how Owlcat have chosen to implement it, Rogue Trader has its own ruleset, so let's see how they use it in a video game)
- The upcoming Space Marine 2 (I hope it will be good)

There's also a pretty good Warhammer 40k conversion mod for OpenXCOM.

EDIT: Also Space Hulk (1993, not the new one) for the PC or the 3DO (Vengance of the Blood Angels) is a solid game.

Last edited:
Dawn of War 2 is still the best 40k game by far and it won't be topped.
What we really need is the whole franchise to stop pushing space marines as they are the least interesting faction.
Space marine 2 would be better if it was Chaos Space Marine.

Wildebeest

How about a game where a Space Marine is a sad dad, and he has to walk slowly through some really expensively made environments while well known voice actors with large fees literally never shut up talking to him about nothing for 20 hours.

In my mind they have been trying to appeal to more mainstream audience for years now, with the cutesy new minis, less conflictive plot, mobile games and such

Drizzlehell

Banned
I know they're all made by well-known publishers and developers. I never thought of them as being big budget games but perhaps I'm wrong.
They were triple-A game at at the time of their release.

Space Marine II is looking really good so I expect it to deliver a triple-A W40k experience this gen.

Hudo

Aren't the total war warhammer games aaa?
Yes but they aren't 40k.

If we also talk Warhammer Fantasy then:

Total War: Warhammer 1-3 are obviously good
Warhammer: Dark Omen is brilliant and up there with the first two Myth games
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat is ok but it has been made obsolete with Dark Omen imho.
I hear good things about the Warhammer Online fan-server project.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Same thoughts. I can't see how 40k can translate to TV/film.

There are no "good guys" in 40K. The assumed good guys are the Imperium, but they're xenophobic religious zealots. Maybe there is an argument for the Tau, but even then it's "join the greater good or die".

Spaceman292

Banned
I've said forever that a Mass Effect clone 3rd person shooter / RPG centered around a new Inquisitor would sell fucking gangbusters.

The Puritan/Renegade shit writes itself. You have a choice between being evil, and ,"What the fuck dude, that was a child."
Yep. Just do Eisenhorn. Get Dan Abett on the writing staff and you're set. There is actually already an Eisenhorn game but it's fucking abysmal.

Gojiira

I was nervous when it was announced that it was being backed by Amazon, however, when I learned that Henry Cavil was attached to the project before they even got any writers or showrunners involved, it gave a bit of reassurance. Since I suspect they got Cavil in early to help put the creative team together who will spearhead the project. I'm sure he'll be a major voice in the direction of the show and movies they're gonna do.... I hope so.

I just don't want anyone that was involved in the Wheel of Time or Rings of Power abortions anywhere near this.
Henry Cavill is Producer on the 40K show as well IIRC, so he’s going to have much more say overall.
Im pretty confident it will at least look the part, it will be a success if they make Bolters sound and fire like Tank cannons, then you know they’re doing it right.

As for AAA games, Space Marine, Dawn of War, Vermintide, Inquisitor Martyr come closest. Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 is a fantastic RTS as well. These come the ‘closest’, SM is the most AAA of the bunch.

SCB3

Tbh it needs a good entry point game, something for newer fans to get invested in, especially on the Lore side, which is so vast for newcomers, Space Marine 1 was fantastic and did exactly that, Darktide does seem like a lot of fun and Boltgun reviewed very well

Gojiira

Tbh it needs a good entry point game, something for newer fans to get invested in, especially on the Lore side, which is so vast for newcomers, Space Marine 1 was fantastic and did exactly that, Darktide does seem like a lot of fun and Boltgun reviewed very well
No Space Marine 1 didnt at all lol, the game just dumps you in with zero explanation except ‘Planet is being invaded, Planet houses Titans, Send Ultra Marines’, over the course of the game you get zero lore or understanding of the Ultramarines and the game takes no time in exploring Titus’ background etc.
If your a casual fan of 40K its great since the art direction and design really do show you how bleak 40K is. And I suppose as a newcomer it is good that it doesnt bombard you with terminology and lore but it really doesnt set up anything, especially Chaos who just turn up randomly.
I think we need a game like SM that starts at the beginning, you start off as a recruit, picked by whichever faction to receive their Gene Seed. You get shown how a Space Marine is made and the tenets of their chapter. Then you get dumped into your first conflict.
A chapters fortress should act as a hub allowing you to visit Librarians, Apothecary, Quartermaster etc etc
Just an idea.

Honest question, is Vermintide considered 40k? I thought that was the "futuristic" setting (spaceships, chainsaw swords, space marines, etc).

Ah yes, you're totally right. Vermintide is not 40k, it's Warhammer fantasy.

Same thoughts. I can't see how 40k can translate to TV/film.

There are no "good guys" in 40K. The assumed good guys are the Imperium, but they're xenophobic religious zealots. Maybe there is an argument for the Tau, but even then it's "join the greater good or die".

There doesn't need to be "good guys" for a TV series to be good. There just has to be fully fleshed-out complex characters with relatable motivations.

I also disagree that there are no good guys in Warhammer 40k. If you're only considering the militaristic faction level of the tabletop game. Sure. But at the personal level, even in the lore there a tonnes of good, honorable characters that I would totally consider to be good guys given the context of their world.

Henry Cavill is Producer on the 40K show as well IIRC, so he’s going to have much more say overall.
Im pretty confident it will at least look the part, it will be a success if they make Bolters sound and fire like Tank cannons, then you know they’re doing it right.

Even better!

Yes, they need to nail bolters. They also need the CGI to be top-notch too.

To some extent, I would have loved a fully CGI movie.

foamdino

After playing Cyberpunk, all I want is:
  1. take night city - add gothic architecture + rain
  2. swap gangs etc for cults, gangs, genestealers etc
  3. play as inquisition agent - skill trees for psyker, bladed combat, augs etc
  4. swap fixers for inquisition
  5. sprinkle in some of the gameplay elements from
Done. (oh and keep the path-tracing, that's awesome)

Drizzlehell

Banned
After playing Cyberpunk, all I want is:
  1. take night city - add gothic architecture + rain
  2. swap gangs etc for cults, gangs, genestealers etc
  3. play as inquisition agent - skill trees for psyker, bladed combat, augs etc
  4. swap fixers for inquisition
  5. sprinkle in some of the gameplay elements from
Done. (oh and keep the path-tracing, that's awesome)
You should play this

Top Bottom