• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking Dead S3: A New Frontier Ep 1/2 SPOILER THREAD

This will be the first time I replay an episode for a different outcome. Sorry, Tripp, but I'm I gotta save Ava. Plus, I need to see how far Conrad can go, even if he sacrificed himself to save Javier from getting hit by the truck.

Oh, and Kate's defintely not dead. That shits a Kenny-style fakeout.

I thought this latest episode was pretty good. I hated that Gabe tells everyone that you killed Conrad, because that's just dumb. I mean, I guess it's my Javi's fault for lying about it to Tripp back when it happened. I guess Tripp becomes less pissed off if you had told him the truth back then. I also didn't like how ineffective the gang is at speaking back against Joan.

I sort of really like David as a character. I guess I can sort of relate because I haven't always been a great older brother to my sister. But their relationship is believable to me. They often misunderstand and hurt each other. But they still love each other deeply, even if they can't quite express it. That's what I feel a lot more sympathetic toward David than most other people seem to. And I feel like Javier would feel like that too. I liked that Kate in this episode stopped trying to force you to choose one over the other, and that they all resolved to handle it as adults. But her death felt pretty stupid and cheap. I really hope that's not it for her.

One thing I like a lot more in this season compared to last season is that the body count of important characters is lower. Relationships between characters are given space to grow, rather than sacrificed for a few shock deaths every episode. That's why the ending here bummed me out.

They also seem to do a much better job this season to make it feel like earlier decisions mattered. It's nice to see the driver Javi spared in Episode 1 back. And it's nice to see the previous decision with Conrad come back to bite Javi in the ass with Tripp. The decisions are also more interesting. Usually, this just tried to keep everyone alive, but this season Javi had both Conrad and Max killed, and both felt justified at the time.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tripp. He started out as a solid bro, taking Javi in in the first episode even though he doesn't know him. But then he gets more and more whiny over the course of the season. And his relationship with Eleanor is just pathetic. I'm glad I was given the chance to pour some truth over him about that in this episode, even though he refuses to listen. At this point I'm sure he (justifiably) hates Javi's guts after Gabe ratted Javi out and Javi tried to save Ava over him.

I liked the decision with the doctor this episode. Telltale have said that most people tend to side with Clem in every situation, so it was good that they gave you a situation where she is pushing for some really fucked up shit. Did anyone take his offer? Does he spill the beans about AJ?

I liked the decision with the doctor this episode. Telltale have said that most people tend to side with Clem in every situation, so it was good that they gave you a situation where she is pushing for some really fucked up shit. Did anyone take his offer? Does he spill the beans about AJ?

Yeah, he'll tell Clementine where the kid is and then Joan tells everyone that you killed the doctor on David's orders. You can argue against her, but it doesn't look great.

I was really impressed with this episode. It really felt like your choices were starting to add up and matter. I liked being confronted with things I did (killing Conrad, killing the doctor, etc) and the "choose who lives" and then subsequent reverse was something I did not expect. I heard that people who went with Kenny and Jane got flashback scenes? That's really neat. I don't think I did since I decided to go it alone, so the only flashback I had was with Ava, which endeared me to the character right before I accidentally got her killed. (Sorry Ava.)

RE: Gabe, I hate him but he has moments where it seems like he's learning. He's an angry 14 year old, and it's very frustrating, but at the very end of the episode when he tried to go after David and I told him it wasn't worth throwing his life away he *listened* and agreed with me. Which felt really good after an episode of dealing with his crap.

I enjoy the relationship between Javi and Clementine. Talking to her about growing up was appropriately awkward, but I think it was a nice character building moment and show of trust between them. I think the people worried about them pushing Clem and Gabe together are being a bit overdramatic (they are kids, like Kate said it's fine for them to just be kids sometimes) but with Kate more than likely gone I feel like Javi is going to either die or it's just going to be him and Gabe by the end of it.

Good episode!

Manu

This was a really good episode, shitty Gabe drama aside. The kid's an idiot.

Tried to make things right with Tripp by saving him, he got shot. I guess that problem took care of itself!

I hope Kate is alive.

Dram

I wish they had let Gabe die instead of Mariana. I'm just really tired of the angry teenager character type.

zeemumu

Eh, I picked Tripp over Ava because I'll likely end up having to kill David and Ava's not gonna,be cool with that anyway, and I figured it might help with Eleanor.

Plus his reasons for being pissed with me are somewhat justified unlike Kenny

And they killed Mariana over Gabe because if Gabe had died instead the game would be easier since Mari is more level-headed.

HeavenlyE

As someone who's been really enjoying the past few episodes, I hated this episode basically from beginning to end. Other than Gabe being the most hateable character telltale has ever produced which is saying a lot. A bunch nonsensical things were just happening back to back that completely took me out of the game.

As someone who's been really enjoying the past few episodes, I hated this episode basically from beginning to end. Other than Gabe being the most hateable character telltale has ever produced which is saying a lot. A bunch nonsensical things were just happening back to back that completely took me out of the game.

What specifically?

AudioEppa

I'm loving A New Frontier overall. But I do wish the episodes where a little bit longer, not too much. But a bit more.

And please die Gabe. Please die.

zeemumu

Clementine: I used to have Lee. He took care of me for a while. Every time I would look at AJ, I could hear him in my head, helping me. Guiding me.

Ava: He's still with you, you know. Here.

That's eerily true. We're basically the ghost of Lee

AudioEppa

Clementine: I used to have Lee. He took care of me for a while. Every time I would look at AJ, I could hear him in my head, helping me. Guiding me.

Ava: He's still with you, you know. Here.

That's eerily true. We're basically the ghost of Lee

Lol this is true. I did however give her some of my own attitude in season two.

This latest episode was shakey as fuck. Gabe's outburst was so forced and Telltale is getting really predictable with how you're decisions come back to bite you.

There's honestly so many problems. The game has to remind you several times that "not everyone is bad in the new frontier" except you've barely seen any of their town and literally everyone you've met besides Ava actually is a horrible person. Why wasn't there a part where you could actually walk around and talk to people? Get a real sense of the community. They had moments like that in Prescott but they totally drop the ball later on. Then maybe I'd actually feel like there were some decent people instead of just getting told that over and over.

One of the major story threads seems to be the Garcia brothers fractured relationship. It's just too bad that David is literally such an unlikable asshole that I don't care one bit about mending anything with him. That flashback where he revealed
that he was gonna ditch his kids and join the military again.
solidified it even more. That entire scene makes David look like a total asshole, actually.

The motivations are so muddled for all the characters. I'm still tight over the fact that accidentally stealing some gas (to fucking survive in the apocalypse) apparently made you public enemy number 1 but Joan leveling entire communities in secrecy is apparently A-OK.

There's some throwaway line David has at the beginning about it. "How did she flip the whole council?" No. That's not good enough. How did she flip the whole council? That's actually really important because in the last episode these people were so uptight about law & order that they kicked you out over stealing some gas accidentally.

It's to the point where the only parts I like without qualification are Clem focused. Her character is really the only thing keeping me engaged. That and the tumultuous romance with Javi and Kate. It really is a slap in the face, though, that they're setting up Gabe as Clementine's romantic interest. Fuck that. Shitting on their best character by pairing her with the worst by far.

zeemumu

It's to the point where the only parts I like without qualification are Clem focused. Her character is really the only thing keeping me engaged. That and the tumultuous romance with Javi and Kate. It really is a slap in the face, though, that they're setting up Gabe as Clementine's romantic interest. Fuck that. Shitting on their best character by pairing her with the worst by far.

Yeah I hate that they're trying to pair Gabe and Clem. I can't tell if this was intentional or what.

Yeah I hate that they're trying to pair Gabe and Clem. I can't tell if this was intentional or what.

Oh, it's definitely intentional. If by that you mean the writers are clearly pushing it because they clearly are.

It largely comes off hollow, though. Clementine is so survival focused, loyal & cut-throat and all the traits she values in other people are the antithesis of Gabe as a character. I could even forgive some of that on a "young love is irrational" tip. But Gabe is just far too bitch-made, irrational and a clear liability. It comes off as forced and like Clem isn't being herself when she's into Gabe.

Again there's a certain amount of that I could forgive because of course attraction makes you think things through differently, especially at that age. It makes some degree of sense with
Clem's first period and her early maturation as a sub-plot.
But Gabe is too far beyond the pale. The connection isn't plausible. The way Clem dislikes David she should dislike Gabe 10x.

TheYanger

I mean, it shows kids being kids. Of course it's a stupid pairing. If anything I expect she would get tired of his shit in a pinch or at least steer him towards being less dumb.

Kids being kids is fine. But Clementine isn't some generic kid. With what she's been through and how it has shaped her perspective it barely makes sense that she tolerate Gabe's existence let alone romantic interest.

Idk my dude it just seems super forced because the writers were thirsty for a young & innocent analogue with Javi and Kate's relationship. All the "Gabe could either become Javi or his father shit" and Clem has taken a clear liking to Javi as a person. It's just too bad that Gabe's had literally no development to be like him at all. He exists solely to fuck things up.

zeemumu

Oh, it's definitely intentional. If by that you mean the writers are clearly pushing it because they clearly are.

It largely comes off hollow, though. Clementine is so survival focused, loyal & cut-throat and all the traits she values in other people are the antithesis of Gabe as a character. I could even forgive some of that on a "young love is irrational" tip. But Gabe is just far too bitch-made, irrational and a clear liability. It comes off as forced and like Clem isn't being herself when she's into Gabe.

Again there's a certain amount of that I could forgive because of course attraction makes you think things through differently, especially at that age. It makes some degree of sense with
Clem's first period and her early maturation as a sub-plot.
But Gabe is too far beyond the pale. The connection isn't plausible. The way Clem dislikes David she should dislike Gabe 10x.

I meant more like intentionally pairing the character you are most likely to side with alongside the character you're least likely to side with to force you to side with that character sometimes by abusing the fact that the player has a connection to Clem that Javi doesn't and will make illogical decisions accordingly.

Is it just me or are episodes shorter in this season? Feels like S1 and 2 had way longer episodes.

I think that's mostly because most of this season (and even some of S2) has gotten rid of hub areas where you walk around and look at stuff in favor of more cinematic / scripted scenes, which move from one conversation to the next. Honestly I don't mind. S1 is great but those parts where you'd just be walking around really drag for me by comparison.

EDIT: Also Gabe / Clem isn't an actual pairing people need to stop worrying about it. It's harmless kids being kids and serve mostly as a reminder of how the situation is affecting kids their age.

sammex

Wasn't feeling this episode at all. Normally I play through the entire thing in one setting and get mildly disappointed when it ends but I stopped half way through to do something else. If they don't go back to a Clem-centric season next I'd be fine if they stopped after this.

Razmos

Reposting my post from the other thread:

Literally fuck this episode. Constant characters cutting away from tense situations for speeches and stupid questions, characters making utterly stupid decisions and being stupid and annoying as fuck (I'm looking at you
Gabe and Tripp
, jesus)

And then I got left with the easy choice of who to save towards the end of the episode,
Ava or Tripp

Ava is a far better character,
Who was very very kind to clementine, a loyal follower, strong and skilled. Meanwhile Tripp is a lovesick puppy who is basically Kenny 2.0 who sees everything the main character does as wrong just to be annoying. It's obvious that he was going to follow Eleanor no matter what she did, so when she betrayed you it's obvious that Tripp would do the same.

So I chose to save Ava which the game decides to suddenly throw in a twist that Ava will be killed instead. Leaving me with Tripp who now hates me even more, Eleanor who already betrayed me and has reason to hate me even more, and a dead Ava.

So now I want to redo my save because that choice was fucking bullshit. But that will leave David AND Clementine hating you for choosing Tripp over Ava. Not to mention Ava herself who could probably kill you with a stern look
Just an absolutely stupid and infuriating choice that has done nothing but piss me off.

At least in this episode we saw sick Javier abs and i got to tell
Kate
to go hump a post or something instead.

Really not impressed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hate that they are forcing
gabe and clem
with every fibre of my being.

I think that's mostly because most of this season (and even some of S2) has gotten rid of hub areas where you walk around and look at stuff in favor of more cinematic / scripted scenes, which move from one conversation to the next. Honestly I don't mind. S1 is great but those parts where you'd just be walking around really drag for me by comparison.
That would make sense. It's definitely more scripted than S1/2.

gabe and clem

They're not though. He has a crush because he's a teen that hasn't seen another girl that wasn't his sister or stepmom in years and Clementine is nice to him. That's all that has happened. Whatever shipping is going on is totally one-sided.

Razmos

gabe and clem
Also this. I think it's kinda cute
on Gabe's side, but the idea of Clem reciprocating is.. what? Gabe is a little shitbag.

Then again it was Kate who suggested a budding romance between them, and she's annoying and stupid. So who knows.

Episode 5 coming up on the 30th. Nice turnaround! Guess we know what happens to Kate though ;_;

18556651_1636934009654092_6927719111643005411_o.jpg

HeavenlyE

What specifically?
Wish I saw this sooner so I could remember more specific stuff but most of it was just lack of dialogue options that made sense, and the complete lack of security in the entirety of the town, it makes no sense that the only person in the entire community that's in "jail" and needs to be watched has no guards in earshot of glass breaking

or that the building with the armory in it apparently has a single guy guarding it that can be lead away with ease

Eh. I really like Javi but ANF as a whole was so weak compared to seasons one and two. Pretty disappointed overall.

Got the Gabe/David ending, happy with it. Wish there was a David only ending tbh. Shooting Conrad immediately became worth it when Clem pledged loyalty to follow my choice - biker Clem and Javi are badass.

No playable Clem in the finale is pretty fucking disappointing and it almost felt like they were kicking me when I was down by literally ending the whole season with a black screen basically saying "pre order the Clem DLC coming soon!". On one hand I'm ecstatic we'll be getting full on Clem episodes, on the other I'm annoyed that Clem got sidelined in ANF in the first place.

Ava's death was by far the laziest, dumbest, humorous death in the entire series. Bar none. Even surpassed Nick. Absolutely incredible.

Kate randomly being alive felt totally unrealistic and out of nowhere... I mean that was a brutal crash and then the car exploded. Maybe I'm underestimating the human body but I'd think that that would kill someone.

Eleanor giving me shit, especially when she's the one who sold me out, which indirectly sold Tripp out, and ESPECIALLY when I TRIED TO SAVE TRIPP OVER AVA, was some BS. You're attractive as hell Eleanor, but you brought that shit all on yourself.

The whole Richmond story as a whole just felt SO weak. Especially Joan. She goes from a pretty terrifying, seemingly clever and cunning villain in ep3 to a full on power hungry sociopath in ep4. It reminded me of Truth in Halo 2 and Halo 3. Like, why is Joan suddenly going full madwoman? Wasn't she supposed to be smart? Why is Clint not stopping this shit? Why are we redoing the whole "evil leader of a corrupt group" plot when we already did that with Carver in season two, which was a much better arc and character than Joan?

Why have David chase after Clint at the end of ep4 if it's gonna be dropped anyway and Clint's gonna go MIA? Why have that mysterious "Clint's wherabouts are unknown" card at the end if they'll probably never go anywhere with it anyway? I'd be shocked if Clint (or Joan, if you kept her alive) made another appearance and didn't just join the list of MIA dropped characters, alongside Christa, Bonnie, Mike, Arvo, the 400 Days people, Max, etc. I mean seriously where the fuck is Christa, they totally fucked her and Omid at the start of season two.

So yeah... those are basically my ramblings at the moment. For a two+ year wait, New Frontier was not a worthy successor to Season Two at all if you ask me :(

from the tell tale twitter:

The season finale of #TheWalkingDead: A New Frontier is out now on Xbox and Steam! PS4, Android, & iOS will be out in the next 24 hours.

It's getting some heat to say the least, available on Xbox but not PS4.

Oh boy, just finished season 3. Some quick thoughts on the final episode:

In the end I protected Richmond with Kate. Clementine stayed with, because her and Javi were close. Felt like the right thing to do for me. David tried to kill me after I told him I was in love with Kate (dat timing).

Of course, that meant that David and Gabe both died. It was actually a really sad scene. I never hated Gabe as much as others did and I thought the scene between Javi, Clem and him was really touching. I was glad David died off-screen and I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

All in all it was a good season with a lot of genuinely great moments, but the final episode especially felt a bit disjointed, where characters would be furious with each other one second and calm the next. That's always noticeable in Telltale games, but this episode especially it stuck out to me. I still wouldn't rate it as highly as Season 1, but it met the bar set by Season 2 (and had a much stronger finale choice/impact-wise, I thought.)

Clementine is still great, always has my back and has a hell of a new look at the end of the episode. This is still Clementine's story and I think Javier might show up in future seasons but probably not as the playable character.

Overall pretty good season with it's own ups and downs. I liked the characters and the storyline.

Post your Clementines!

A Survival Expert
-Clem and AJ traveled solo through dangerous territory, fighting off walkers and barely surviving
-After swallowing her pride and joining the New Frontier, Clem used their resources to help the person closest to her survive. She was unrepentant even when exiled.
-Remembered a similar fight long ago, shot David without killing him to end his violence.
-Once David left in the truck with Gabe, Clem knew she needed to look out for the needs of her group first and foremost. She decided to help Kate in sealing the breach in Richmond.

Finished.
All in all, it was..good? I don't know I have mix feelings about this season.
I totally like everything about this season, the plot, the characters, Richmond etc. But I fee like we just didn't get enough. Everything moved crazy fast. I honestly think they could have made this season longer either in episodes or in content per episode. These Walking Dead seasons are getting crazy short, S1 was nearly 12 hours and S3 clocked in at about 6 hours for me.

Anyways, this might be the one Telltale game I might want to replay because the choices actually do seem to matter and some of them were pretty tough to choose from.

Most of my choices were pretty much green with the majority. My Clem turn out
to be Strong Through Solidarity

I'm guessing next season will be like this one, where we play as someone else while
Clem plays as a side character

MaKTaiL

I have mixed feelings about this Season too. I didn't really care about the other characters beside Javi and Clem. The fact that they called this season "A New Frontier" instead of Season 3 might mean we just got a spin-off and the real sequel to Season 2 will be out next year (and we play as Clementine again).

TheYanger

I thought the last episode was all over the place, and the whole New Frontier threat fell so fucking flat.

I DID really appreciate the character cards at the end, idk if Batman or Minecraft did those but I thought they were a cool touch instead of just the choices.

I went with Kate to save Richmond, Clem came with me, I thought the death of David happening off-screen was completely anticlimactic, but the scene with Gabe was actually really touching. They went out of their way to make him a lot less of a shitheel in this episode.

Clem:

Overall...I thought the story this season was super weak, but the characters were great. I love Javi and the entire crew, and I really appreciated the themes of family, I just wish it didn't feel like a limp resolution to it all with the path I chose.

AudioEppa

Just finished it a few minutes ago. Overall the whole story was great. As of right now, it's my #1 for game of the year.
Can't wait to continue her story. Hopefully it won't take so long for a new season.

so guys, what was your final screen? Wonder how many different there is! Here's mine :

http://i.imgur.com/bEJSv5I.jpg

i didn't directly embed the image with spoiler, since apparently it doesn't work for people on mobile

EDIT: just realised my choice lead to a pretty underwelming ending, saved everyone except david... seing that all characters can die, it would have been better honestly (always found bad ending more interesting and emotionnal than happy ones)

Manu

Sigh. What a wet fart of an ending. I actually enjoyed most of the episode and then the final scene is Clem leaving and... that's it? No resolution at all for Javi, save for his little bit of dialogue with
Jesus
at the end.

-Didn't want to fight David, tried saying "I love you" a couple times. By the time he hit me with a monkey wrench I decided I'd had enough and fought back lol
-Ava's death scene was sooooo predictable and dumb.
-Went after David and Gabe, so Kate just... died offscreen, I guess? That's bad even for Telltale standards. At least show me her body. Something. Anything. Especially considering how important her relationship with Javi was to the overall story. Give me some closure.
-Saved Gabe but David died. His final "te quiero, Javier" before he died got me. I should hate the asshole, but I just can't.
-I really liked the scene with Javi cutting Clem's hair and the dialogue. The Dr. survived on my game so I had him tell Clem where AJ was, and told her to go get him. I think she's earned it.

Overall I enjoyed the season but I'm not sure I'll play the next one unless they dramatically improve on the gameplay, or at least make the episodes longer. It took me little over an hour and a half to finish episode 5, which is nowhere near acceptable for this kind of game. And it's not a problem with modern Telltale, I played the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands a few weeks ago and that was almost 3 hours long and actually had some puzzles too, so I know they can do better. They have improved the writing in their games but their gameplay (which wasn't stellar to begin with) has suffered as a result. I literally played every episode using one hand, since every action was doable on the right side of the DS4.

Anyway, here's my Clem.

Top Bottom