• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking Dead S3: A New Frontier Ep 1/2 SPOILER THREAD

Discussion was still going on in the original announcement thread all spoilered, and there's no OT, so I figured I'd just post this topic so we could discuss in the open the choices we made and what we thought of the first two episodes of the Walking Dead S3.

Here are mine!

Episode 1:
bR4SCwE.jpg

Episode 2:

I didn't see the ending of episode 2 coming at all, but that definitely complicates the relationship between Javier and Kate.

For those who haven't played through each possible story path of Season 2, here are all the flashbacks in one video.

I think it's interesting that all of the flashbacks leave their own scar on Clementine (she has a forehead scar from the car accident, a scar on her cheek from Wellington, a tattoo from Jane and is missing her ring finger in the alone ending.)

The idea behind the flashbacks, according to a behind the scenes video they posted today, was to show you what happened (and let you have some ownership over) things that happened between Season 2 and Season 3. Like in Episode 2 I didn't trust that girl from the new frontier who meets you, and I'm assuming that will come up in future episodes.

Eventually the timelines might converge and maybe we'll get a bit of playable Clementine in the present near the end of the season.

SPOILERS, obviously.

When it first started up I wasn't too happy to see that I was playing as Javier, but I warmed up to him in the group quick. Hell, Mariana's death legit shook me when it happened. I don't know how I feel about the big bad being Javi's brother (what a coincidence!), but the past segments that featured him just made me dislike the guy. So, yeah, when the time comes to chose between Clem or your brother I'll be putting him down. Sorry, bro.

I think the choices from the previous games are fine. I played two runs: one was my save file from Season 2, where I went with Jane and let the family in. She was defintely colder in that run than in my next run, where I set it up to have me going with Kenny. It's not perfect, but at least I felt like the events of the past two games and my choices helped shape Clem's attitude.

Kenny's death was such bullshit. As soon as I saw they were in a car I knew what it was leading to. Him being killed by Clem was more impactful. Jane's suicide, on the other hand, was great. When Clem picks up the pregnancy test and you realize that she's pregnant with Luke's kid.... Man.

Also, I love how Clem is kind of the devil on your shoulder. When your given the choice to escape with your family or fight with Clem I loved how she was just like, "Let's just finish this right now".

I'm enjoying it but not as much as Season 1 or 2 obviously but only the first twp episodes are out so time will tell. Sucks Marianna died instead of Ben- I mean Gabe didn't really see the episode 2 ending twist but I feel they should've kept one of the kids deaths for episode 2 instead of one but I really like elanor and Tripp (my hot daddy bear <3) and hope they stick around for a bit. Jesus being in this doesn't phase me one way or the other and I feel like Clem could've easily stayed out of this season which is what I wished for honestly. I stayed in Wellington and while that outcome was fine I can't help but feel Jane's was really really off base. I feel like the new players they are trying to entice into playing will only be more confused by it all with her inclusion and the default alone flashback.

Spinky

Shot Conrad
immediately. That guy was too far gone, no way would he not have been a problem.

I'm surprised it wasn't a controversial decision.

Also, all these flashbacks are news to me. I was alone in every one I got.

JustinBB7

SPOILERS, obviously.

When it first started up I wasn't too happy to see that I was playing as Javier, but I warmed up to him in the group quick. Hell, Mariana's death legit shook me when it happened. I don't know how I feel about the big bad being Javi's brother (what a coincidence!), but the past segments that featured him just made me dislike the guy. So, yeah, when the time comes to chose between Clem or your brother I'll be putting him down. Sorry, bro.

I think the choices from the previous games are fine. I played two runs: one was my save file from Season 2, where I went with Jane and let the family in. She was defintely colder in that run than in my next run, where I set it up to have me going with Kenny. It's not perfect, but at least I felt like the events of the past two games and my choices helped shape Clem's attitude.

Kenny's death was such bullshit. As soon as I saw they were in a car I knew what it was leading to. Him being killed by Clem was more impactful. Jane's suicide, on the other hand, was great. When Clem picks up the pregnancy test and you realize that she's pregnant with Luke's kid.... Man.

Also, I love how Clem is kind of the devil on your shoulder. When your given the choice to escape with your family or fight with Clem I loved how she was just like, "Let's just finish this right now".

Wait, did you see Kenny die in season 3? In season 2 I went into wellington and Kenny left so he is still alive for me and I didn't see him in season 3.

jediyoshi

Great cliffhangers for both episodes. My choices match up to OP's completely.

Wish they didn't bring over characters from the comic, realized it was Jesus pretty quickly.

#TeamEleanor

Now give me some damn batteries for this cassette player.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, did you see Kenny die in season 3? In season 2 I went into wellington and Kenny left so he is still alive for me and I didn't see him in season 3.

If you stay with Kenny, you see him die and get eaten. If you stay in wellington, you see it get overrun by gangs. If you go with jane, she hangs herself.

If your alone at the end of Season 2, or killed Kenny, or left jane and kenny on the side of the road, Clem loses her finger in a door when getting attacked by Zombies

Shot Conrad
immediately. That guy was too far gone, no way would he not have been a problem.

I'm surprised it wasn't a controversial decision.

Also, all these flashbacks are news to me. I was alone in every one I got.

Alone is the best way to go I think, and seeing the flashbacks only reaffirmed my decision that it was the best way to end S2. Independent survivalist Clementine is the best Clementine.

I also shot Conrad, which is a decision I'm feeling really...mixed about? The problem I'm kind of having is that I love Clementine so naturally I'm going to pick the choices that help her, even if they wouldn't necessarily be "in-character" for Javier. They tried to do their best to give you good reasons to help Clementine (she saved your life, she kicks ass, she'll help you and your family) but stuff like killing Conrad to let her go free is almost a little bit too much of an ask when you've only known her for a day.

I suppose one thing to keep in mind though is that this is set several years into the apocalypse and communities have started to form and everyone is a hardened survivor, though. This isn't just a couple of weeks out from Z-day, everyone at this point has had to do bad shit to survive, so killing to save someone you know for a day probably isn't the worst thing any of these people have done.

TheYanger

Yeah I tried to pick stuff for Javi not just for Clem, like her being a member of the new frontier, I assume she would've taken the offer she got, even though by the time it asked me to make that decision I obviously knew they were bad. I also was hopeful that maybe it means AJ is alive if she was a 'member' and she's just separated from him.

Didn't get flashbacks of Kenny or Jane since my Clem was with AJ at Wellington at the end of the last game, but took Kenny's hat. That Jane flashback does sound pretty dark, but fuck Jane she sucks.

If you stay with Kenny, you see him die and get eaten. If you stay in wellington, you see it get overrun by gangs. If you go with jane, she hangs herself.

If your alone at the end of Season 2, or killed Kenny, or left jane and kenny on the side of the road, Clem loses her finger in a door when getting attacked by Zombies
Does Clem always have the bullet scar on her face? or was that just from staying in Wellington/keeping her finger? I dig the scar.

Does Clem always have the bullet scar on her face? or was that just from staying in Wellington/keeping her finger? I dig the scar.

She only has the cheek scar if she was in Wellington. If she was with Kenny she's got a forehead scar from the accident, if with Jane a tattoo of AJ on her hand, and if you're alone she loses her finger.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

She has different scars/bodily mutilation depending on what decisions have been made. With Jane, she has an AJ tattoo burned into her hand. Wellington gives her the cheek scar. Being with Kenny gives her the head scar from a car accident and being alone makes her lose the finger.

*EDIT*

Beaten.

HeavenlyE

I'm hoping that David doesn't end up being the main antagonist, I mean his guys kinda shot his daughter in the back of the head with no warning. Though I could see their being tension between us if Kate ends up surviving.

CrazyDude

I'm hoping that David doesn't end up being the main antagonist, I mean his guys kinda shot his daughter in the back of the head with no warning. Though I could see their being tension between us if Kate ends up surviving.

I get the feeling he will overthrown. That one guy who ordered the ramming of Preston's doors seems like someone who would do it. It already seems like he is going against orders and doing things on his own.

Razmos

Lol just encountered a pretty silly continuity goof, in episode 2 after shooting Conrad and Clem leaves, when you find Kate in the car she and Javier hug, and in the background outside the car you can see Clem standing there with the rest of the group. Pretty funny.

What's less funny is that the game froze on me once and crashed once, but eh.

Oh and
Javier is super hot
. All the romance options with Kate suck, I don't like her and I don't like their relationship. Eleanor was a bit weirdly forward too.

Now some Javier/Jesus action though, I can get behind that.

I really hate that David is alive. He's a character who is literally just there to be hated which means that every second of screen time he gets is going to be one too many. Killing him the first opportunity I get.

Linkark07

Banned
Well, it was faily obvious David was alive and well, and he would (probably) play a antagonistic role in the game. It seems I will probably be right.

Anyways, guess everybody knows what to expect from Telltale by now, so I wasn't at all disappointed when they showed that regardless who you pick at the end of S2, Clem was gonna be alone again. Damn, that girl has had it rough.

My choices were almost the same as OP.

Also, after hearing how people complained about Telltale's Batman on PC, I was expecting a rough start with New Frontier. Luckily, didn't have a problem at all, in fact, game ran quite smooth.

My only hope is that nothing bad happens to Clem. Regardless of what happens, I will make Javier always side with her.

CrazyDude

Well, it was faily obvious David was alive and well, and he would (probably) play a antagonistic role in the game. It seems I will probably be right.

Anyways, guess everybody knows what to expect from Telltale by now, so I wasn't at all disappointed when they showed that regardless who you pick at the end of S2, Clem was gonna be alone again. Damn, that girl has had it rough.

My choices were almost the same as OP.

Also, after hearing how people complained about Telltale's Batman on PC, I was expecting a rough start with New Frontier. Luckily, didn't have a problem at all, in fact, game ran quite smooth.

My only hope is that nothing bad happens to Clem. Regardless of what happens, I will make Javier always side with her.

It would be nice if both Javier and Clem stay alive by the end.

It would be nice if both Javier and Clem stay alive by the end.

I don't think they'll kill either of them, but they are eventually going to run out of road if they keep doing timeskips. Clementine can't canonically get older than around 15 or 16 because I believe they've said before that they can't go ahead of the comic series in timeline, and this season takes place during the All Out War arc in the comics.

I think this season, at least the first two episodes, has meant to be an introduction to new players through Javier while also filling in Clementine's backstory for new players through flashbacks so that eventually later this season (or next season) players can feel a connection to her without having to go through two aging Telltale games to do so.

Infest

Hm I'm kinda dissapointed by the two episodes so far and I don't really get why it reviews so well. The characters and story didn't really grab me like the previous two seasons ( especially S1) and I just don't feel any stakes in any of the choices. Maybe it's just because I've played too many Telltale games in the last few years and it's hard too not look through the story facade. Also feels like they're trying to copy the show with Jesus and the savio... uhm I mean the new frontier.

However the ending of episode 2 was finally sth. that grabbed my attention, I really hope it gets better.

btw.
The episodes are more expensive but also shorter and the engine is still shit. My game froze two times during my playthrough and one time I had to restart the ps4. Seriously Telltale, you have the money....

Just finished the first two episodes. Really liking it so far, more so than Season 2. I like mostly all of the new characters and I love that Clem is not the player character, but is used as a lens to view part of the world. I can definitely see how the events we experienced with her in S1 & S2 shaped the person Javier meets in the first episode. She's compassionate, but cautious.

Both episodes had great endings, so I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Slightly edited copy/paste from the other spoiler thread - hollllllyyyyy shit at that cliffhanger. I thought we'd keep getting flashbacks of David due to the Javier/Kate/Gabe dynamic, but I wasn't expecting the reveal. Admittedly, I also wasn't expecting it because it was another Kenny/Clem magically meeting up again situation. Telltale can almost-kinda get away with it with David's backstory army set-up, and that he could have conceivably had a lot of experience leading. I mean, I'm assuming David is the leader.

The fallout should be great either way, I'm looking forward to it. David's own group killed his daughter and shot his wife? Delicious drama. For the first two episodes, I was feeling like S3 was meandering a bit more like S2 did, but with the David revelation, I feel like the next three episodes should have a stronger narrative throughline like S1 did. I really like Javier and his family, I just wished we'd gotten to spend a bit more time with them. I like Tripp, but again, would have liked to spend more time with him before shit went down. I really enjoyed the family dynamics, too, let alone the Javier/Kate dynamic - which, of course, just got a hell of a lot more interesting with the David reveal. I'm pretty unimpressed by how short the episodes are, but I'm annoyingly invested enough that I'll keep buying them. The length of the episodes felt the same as Michonne's. I've seen a few people say this, but S3 feels a lot more cinematic? There's some really nice camera angles, and whilst there is still some reused animation, there is a lot of nice new stuff as well. The characters feel a lot more natural overall.

I'm also surprised by how much I enjoy observing Clementine as a (mostly) non-playable character. It's an interesting combination, where she's a character influenced by both Lee and myself, but she's also done a lot of changing and growing without both of our influences. I felt proud of her, whilst still feeling guilty about the situation she'd ended up in.

I'd chosen for Clem to leave Wellington with Kenny ending in S2, which I'd felt guilty about at the time, due to AJ. Even though the way Kenny died in the flashbacks was fucking stupid, I did love that Kenny's death captured the essence of why I'd made some questionable decisions to keep him on side. Especially after the actions of Bonnie/Mike and kinda Jane, it was comforting that Kenny was always willing to sacrifice himself for Clem and AJ, no matter what the circumstance. It was also nice to know that Clem, AJ, and Kenny had some happy years together. Holy shit at Jane's death, too, she was a fantastic character. I love that both Kenny's and Jane's deaths felt true to both of the characters, but the automatic necessity of them was frustrating.

I'm still finding it incredibly, incredibly bizarre hearing Garrus Vakarian's voice coming out of Jesus' mouth. I'm hoping I get used to it, but man, so goddamn freakin' weird. I'll probably hear Garrus now when reading the comics, too, arrrrrrrrgh. I did think Telltale did a good job with Jesus as a character, though, he feels quite close to his comic counterpart - he's courteous, a little snarky, but still quite reserved. Telltale did a fantastic job with Michonne, too, so I'd love to see a Jesus mini-series someday.

Twinsen343

I'm still finding it incredibly, incredibly bizarre hearing Garrus Vakarian's voice coming out of Jesus' mouth. I'm hoping I get used to it, but man, so goddamn freakin' weird.

Hahaha I knew it was his voice, he will always be known as garrus now!

I absolutely loved the episodes but didn't get the flashbacks described above.

I went solo and I'm glad I did. it sounds like the other choices are result in the person you tried to save just dying randomly. I'd rather that they didn't even pretend to load your save game if that's all it is. fortunately all I have is AJ and that's not that bad.

I'm enjoying season 3 so far, just like 2.

I went solo and I'm glad I did. it sounds like the other choices are result in the person you tried to save just dying randomly. I'd rather that they didn't even pretend to load your save game if that's all it is. fortunately all I have is AJ and that's not that bad.

I'm enjoying season 3 so far, just like 2.

I wouldn't necessarily say they died randomly, just that Clementine only remembers their death so you felt like it didn't amount to much, which is a fair criticism. Kenny survived with her for quite some time all considered, at least a year or two. Jane was around a lot shorter, maybe only a month or so after the end of Season 2.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of the new season. I find I'm playing more offensively than I did Seasons One and Two. I used to try to be as nonviolent as possible, trying to avoid conflict where it seemed prudent. But now, if there's an option to shoot, I take it. Sorry Conrad! But it seems like almost everyone killed poor Conrad.

Zaph

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of the new season. I find I'm playing more offensively than I did Seasons One and Two. I used to try to be as nonviolent as possible, trying to avoid conflict where it seemed prudent. But now, if there's an option to shoot, I take it. Sorry Conrad! But it seems like almost everyone killed poor Conrad.

Same. I'm not sure if it's because the game almost immediately fucks you, which puts you in a zero patience mood, or if having played so many TWD episodes, I'm not being cautions any more because I subconsciously know you can't really cause or avoid the big story decisions and character deaths? Maybe both?

Same. I'm not sure if it's because the game almost immediately fucks you, which puts you in a zero patience mood, or if having played so many TWD episodes, I'm not being cautions any more because I subconsciously know you can't really cause or avoid the big story decisions and character deaths? Maybe both?

Well. In the time between Season Two and Season Three, I played Telltale Game of Thrones. I think that explains it.

MaKTaiL

He wanted to put poor Clem in danger. No way I was gonna let it.

Dram

I'm hoping we'll run into Christa and the characters from 400 Days or at least see what happened to them.

Also was it the New Frontier that attacked Wellington? It looks like the guy who shot at Clementine, is shown with the group at the end of episode two. Though maybe Telltale is just reusing character models.

MaKTaiL

I'm hoping we'll run into Christa and the characters from 400 Days or at least see what happened to them.

Also was it the New Frontier that attacked Wellington? It looks like the guy who shot at Clementine, is shown with the group at the end of episode two. Though maybe Telltale is just reusing character models.

They showed up on Season 2 didn't they?

Anoxida

Not bad, not bad at all. I've liked all Telltales output (except for GoT) but I'd say this could be their next best work yet (ain't nothing topping borderlands). I don't like that David is alive. You could see that coming a mile away. He's just going be giant cockblock isn't he?

I wasnt feeling this season or the shift to focusing on Javier at first. Much like The Last of Us and Ellie, the main reason I enjoyed these games so far was following Clem and seeing her mature and whatnot. So I wasn't into Javier and his story; however, the opening was expertly paced even though you knew what was going to happen

I also didnt like how the first episode and beginning of the second felt like a finale, with the big battle and the town being overrun, and how the New Frontier felt like a generic "evil villain" group with no real motivations. At least in the other games, you got to spend time with the antagonists and got to understand their twisted perspectives.

But Javier grew on me, and I came to like seeing Clem from an outsider perspective. And of course, the ending of Part Two put the New Frontier group, and the flashbacks for Clem and Javier, in a whole new light. Over the course of the second, I went from feeling this was the weakest season to being really excited about what happens next.

So is Telltale releasing a new episode each month like they did for Batman or are we back to bi-monthly episodes?

They haven't said one way or another, but Batman was so super duper on schedule with Batman and Walking Dead is their biggest franchise that I'd bet we'll see an episode every month.

TheYanger

If the disc release is coming in feb are those typically just a disc that includes the season pass license or are they 'on disc' ? That seems too close for all 5 to be out (3 more releases) but that'd be cool.

NateDrake

If the disc release is coming in feb are those typically just a disc that includes the season pass license or are they 'on disc' ? That seems too close for all 5 to be out (3 more releases) but that'd be cool.

Disc is normally a physical season pass type of deal.

Dominator

Not reading any posts in the thread but this looks like the place for discussion about the series at the moment. I played Season 1 on 360, then played 1 and 2 on PS4 when they came out on there for my saves. I've since switched again to Xbox One and I'm replaying them (I love them so no big deal).

I forgot how damn long Season 1 is compared to other Telltale games that come out now. They've gotten significantly shorter, I beat Batman in 9 hours and I'm already 10 hours into Season 1 of TWD and only on episode 4. Even though I know what to do I'm not rushing my decisions and still talk to everyone. Such a great game.

I haven't played this yet but Season 1 is also much more interactive than most Telltale games now also. They seem to be simplifying so much and I don't really know why. It's so obvious when you go back after playing one of their new games.

adj_noun

Those Conrad percentages. Like 90%+ shot him.

People like Clem, Telltale. You could have a "Shoot Clementine or we will erase the game from your hard drive permanently THIS IS NOT A JOKE NO REFUNDS" and I still wouldn't bet against Clementine.

People like Clem, Telltale. You could have a "Shoot Clementine or we will erase the game from your hard drive permanently THIS IS NOT A JOKE NO REFUNDS" and I still wouldn't bet against Clementine.

Telltale always says that they try to have the choices as close to 50/50, so you've got to wonder if after seeing this they're gonna change up the scenarios a bit because every time Clementine is involved the vast majority of the players are siding with her (myself included.)

CrazyDude

Telltale always says that they try to have the choices as close to 50/50, so you've got to wonder if after seeing this they're gonna change up the scenarios a bit because every time Clementine is involved the vast majority of the players are siding with her (myself included.)

They probably thought there would be more new player to the series that started with season 3, and they probably also thought it would even up the percentage.

Not me. Javier would put his family first

I actually had a really hard time being objective when it came to Clementine and Jesus. I knew there was no point tying up Jesus, so I never even bothered. Clem could have said at any point, hey, let's light ourselves on fire and do a summon dance to bring Kenny back from the grave! and I would have had a really hard time saying no. I felt a bit guilty when I covered for her with the slimy bullet swapping guy, but I did it anyway.

It would be interesting to have that loyalty towards Clementine turned against the player, actually.

AaronMT86

I had zero emotional connection to Conrad and his wife (girlfriend?). I had no problems opening fire on those idiots and sacrificing her and shooting Conrad who seemed very unstable. Call me savage I guess.

Top Bottom