• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WADA report confirms Russian state-sponsored doping

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/s...e-sponsored-doping-by-russia-at-olympics.html

TORONTO — Evidence has confirmed a Russian whistle-blower’s claims of government-ordered cheating at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, a two-month investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency found, intensifying pressure on the International Olympic Committee to discipline Russia ahead of this summer’s Rio Games.

Grigory Rodchenkov, Russia’s former antidoping lab director, told The New York Times in May that he covered up the use of performance-enhancing drugs by Russian Olympians at the 2014 Sochi Games and that he did so under orders from Russian officials for the ministry of sport, tourism and youth policy. A report published by the global antidoping agency on Monday morning concluded that his claims were true and that evidence indicated the state-run doping program was executed before and after the Sochi Games.

The report was produced by Richard McLaren, a Canadian lawyer commissioned by the antidoping organization. He wrote that his investigation had established “beyond a reasonable doubt” that Russia’s ministry of sport, its antidoping organization and the country’s federal security service were involved in an elaborate cheating scheme that stretched beyond the Sochi Games.

“The surprise result of the Sochi investigation was the revelation of the extent of State oversight and directed control of the Moscow laboratory in processing, and covering up urine samples of Russian athletes from virtually all sports before and after the Sochi Games,” Mr. McLaren wrote in the report.

Russian officials emphatically dismissed Mr. Rodchenkov’s claims after they were published in May.

Full report: https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/20160718_ip_report_final.pdf

Quixzlizx

giphy.gif

This is like East Germany all over again. Their denials for the past few months look even more hilarious now.

They should ban the whole country

chadskin

The involvement of Deputy Minister Nagornykh and Zhelanova in the doping cover up scheme has been well described in other parts of this Report. Dr. Rodchenkov’s evidence is that, in several of his regular meetings with Deputy Minister Nagornykh to discuss the cover up scheme, Deputy Minister Nagornykh told him that Minister of Sport Mutko was aware of everything that they were discussing. Dr. Rodchenkov’s evidence is that it is inconceivable that Minister Mutko was not aware of the doping cover up scheme.

Breathtaking. Scheme goes all the way up to the sports minister Vitaly Mutko.

Minister Mutko has continuously held this appointment since the Presidential Order of President Medvedev in May 2008. He is also the chairman of the organising committee for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia and is a member of the FIFA Executive Committee.

There is no way Mutko wasn't involved. He's been spinning like Baghdad Bob since the allegations first came out.

Of course we will see if the IOC and Putin's BFF Thomas Bach has the balls to do the right thing.

Pedrito

RT in full spinning mode right now:

-A lot of accusations but no real evidence
-Character assassination against Rodchenkov and McLaren
-Useful idiots from Europe and the US parroting the Kremlin talking points
-All signs point to US and Canada
-Videos of beautiful russian athletes training and competing with inspiring quotes
-No introspection whatsoever

The whole playbook.

max seddonVerified account
‏@maxseddon
Wada breakdown of Russia's missing positive test results, broken down by sport. "Several medal winners involved."

CnpwaedXEAAHsT5.jpg

That;s the women's hockey team btw.

chadskin

AFP: #BREAKING WADA calls for Russia ban from all international competition, including Rio Olympics

AFP: #BREAKING IOC's Bach calls Russia doping 'shocking and unprecedented attack' on sport

RT in full spinning mode right now:

-A lot of accusations but no real evidence
-Character assassination against Rodchenkov and McLaren
-Useful idiots from Europe and the US parroting the Kremlin talking points
-All signs point to US and Canada
-Videos of beautiful russian athletes training and competing with inspiring quotes
-No introspection whatsoever

The whole playbook.

RT. Question more. Just not us.

Shiggy

I am sure this is some conspiracy led by US athletes who don't want to compete with Russians. Excuse me, but now I need to watch some more Russia Today.

I am sure this is some conspiracy led by US athletes who don't want to compete with Russians. Excuse me, but now I need to watch some more Russia Today.

Meldonium is just a drug Russian athletes use to help with their risk of diabetes. I think the American athletes are just jealous they don't have quack doctors to prescribe this miracle drug to them.

Wasn't there a big thing the other day how the US and Canadian officials were calling on a ban on Russia before this report actually came out and made it seem like they knew what the report said causing the people behind the report to rebuff them?

I remember reading a story in regards to this.

AFP: #BREAKING WADA calls for Russia ban from all international competition, including Rio Olympics

AFP: #BREAKING IOC's Bach calls Russia doping 'shocking and unprecedented attack' on sport

So is WADA going to ban Russia from entering their own World Cup?

Now I'm curious if IOC have the ball to go through with the ban (I guess they are the ones ultimately making the call?).

Wasn't there a big thing the other day how the US and Canadian officials were calling on a ban on Russia before this report actually came out and made it seem like they knew what the report said causing the people behind the report to rebuff them?

I remember reading a story in regards to this.

The letter should have never leaked but they were just preparing in case the report was as damning as it ended up being. There was nothing in there that wasn't public knowledge and there's been plenty of evidence already via documentaries and Rodchenkov's claims that the Russian government was behind this and how widespread it was.

KDR_11k

It'd be amazing if Russia was banned from the olympics entirely, I didn't expect the IOC to have the integrity to do that.

chadskin

Now I'm curious if IOC have the ball to go through with the ban (I guess they are the ones ultimately making the call?).

Yeah, there's a conference call among IOC big whigs happening tomorrow to discuss the WADA report and to come to a decision on sanctions for the Russian team.

Given the damning findings of this report - I mean, holy freaking shit state-sponsored doping - anything less than a ban would probably be a surprise at this point.

BlueWord

Next up: the USA.

You know who's the biggest offender when it comes to PED.

The issue here is the level of organization at the state level.

There is no contest. The US government is not involved in the training of their Olympic athletes.

HarryKS

The issue here is the level of organization at the state level.

There is no contest. The US government is not involved in the training of their Olympic athletes.

Never said they were. Does not change the fact that PEDs are just as widespread.

BlueWord

Never said they were. Does not change the fact that PEDs are just as widespread.

I highly, highly doubt that. The level of PED use – and, more pointedly, the level of deception – by the Russians is unprecedented.

Anecdotal, but I've trained (albeit briefly) with the U.S. Olympic rowing team in the past, and one of my former coaches has gone on to coach several national teams (namely, the German and Chinese teams) in the years since I worked with him. One of my former teammates will be rowing in the U.S. Women's eight in Rio. There was and has been, to my knowledge, no PED use by these individuals, just a dedication to and love of the sport.

Of course, if you have any evidence to back up your statement that the use of PED by the U.S. teams is "just as widespread," feel free to share.

chadskin

Via Reuters:
BREAKING: International Olympic Committee seeks legal advice on the possibility of banning Russia from Rio games
MORE: International Olympic Committee to initiate re-testing of all Russian athletes from Sochi Winter Games
MORE: International Olympic Committee asks all Olympic winter sport federations to freeze preparations for major events in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom