• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

AAK

so whats does the 3-button layout look like?

fetch.php

Would anyone be willing to take up a pupil? grap3fruitman on XBL

I also have a question regarding the DLC items. Once I purchase the DLC, do I still have to unlock all the items? If so, nuts to that.

Alx

It's annoying that XBL filesize limitations are preventing them from including everything in the game, though. :|

On the other hand it pushed sega towards the better market model : sell the core game for cheap, sell the optional customization for a fee, with an option to buy them all at a reasonable price.
I don't think anybody will find anything wrong with it.

BadWolf

On the other hand it pushed sega towards the better market model : sell the core game for cheap, sell the optional customization for a fee, with an option to buy them all at a reasonable price.

Yep, the way they handled it is perfect.

I just want the core game and that's what I can get with nothing else forced on me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not impressed by the condescending nonsense towards Capcom games in the OT, though.

Yeah, well Capcom fighter players do the same to non-Capcom games. Circle of life and all that.

Maybe since it's been so long, I'll take this opportunity to start fresh with a new character.

I've experimented lightly with everyone, but never really got too far away from Sara and Akira as mains.

Any suggestions for somebody that likes a decent balance of power and speed (obvs Sara and Akira are on opposite ends of the spectrum... still towards the middle compared to other characters though).

And did anyone else choose their main back with VF2 based purely on how cool they looked? Cause that's what I did and I've been using them since. :D

Yeah, but it's silly when you see 18gb games on the PS Store. That's enough derail from me, though. Hoping there are plenty of VF fans in Europe.

Mooreberg

Got up to Conqueror Rank w/ Kage in VF5 Quest Mode, will definitely be getting this day one. Is all of the cosemetic stuff they are selling attainable through playing the game?

Got up to Conqueror Rank w/ Kage in VF5 Quest Mode, will definitely be getting this day one. Is all of the cosemetic stuff they are selling attainable through playing the game?

To get ALL the cosmetic stuff you will need to buy them. I am not sure if the C, D or S costumes are included with the base game or not though.

Mooreberg

To get ALL the cosmetic stuff you will need to buy them. I am not sure if the C, D or S costumes are included with the base game or not though.
Not a deal breaker or anything but it would be dumb to not be able to earn stuff for a character through Quest Mode, and then buy stuff for other characters that you wanted to liven up for online play. The setup is already there compared to Tekken where gold from any win can be spent on items for any character. I wonder what kind of stupidity will show up in TTT2 if this works well.

Alx

And did anyone else choose their main back with VF2 based purely on how cool they looked? Cause that's what I did and I've been using them since. :D

Mostly, or to be more exact for how cool their fighting style was... I played Wolf in VF1 and Lion in VF2 mostly for their styles (played both in arcade). Then I bought VF3tb on Dreamcast, wanted to get deep into the game and started with Lau because I had read a guide saying he was good to learn the basics, and finally I liked him and stuck to him for VF4/evo. Then when VF5 came out I chose Eileen for her style again (I really like all those Chinese martial arts, with fancy moves)

To answer your first question, I think Lau has a good balance between speed and power.

Yeah, but it's silly when you see 18gb games on the PS Store. That's enough derail from me, though. Hoping there are plenty of VF fans in Europe.

The scene in Germany is really really really small, even smaller than marvel or kof :*
But maybe with FS some fresh blood enters the ring.

I am not sure if the C, D or S costumes are included with the base game or not though.

They are, you just buy the items for them.

Yeah, well Capcom fighter players do the same to non-Capcom games. Circle of life and all that.

Not really. Kof, Guilty Gear, MK9 etc are all popular with Street Fighter players. Pretty much only the occasional ST or Marvel die hard and people generally think they're crazy. Way more shit goes to their own games than non-Capcom.

I guess it's because a bigger percentage of the remaining VF players are die hards, but they cling on to their shit a lot harder than Capcom fans.

GrayFoxPL

Not a deal breaker or anything but it would be dumb to not be able to earn stuff for a character through Quest Mode, and then buy stuff for other characters that you wanted to liven up for online play. The setup is already there compared to Tekken where gold from any win can be spent on items for any character. I wonder what kind of stupidity will show up in TTT2 if this works well.

TTT2 is full price game with shitload of modes. Don't worry.

VF5FS kinda loses the point with dlc items since they won't be visible to anyone that didn't buy the exact same dlc pack

Quick question, can anyone outline how Final Showdown changed the throw escape system?

No more 0 frame throws and no more 6 direction multiple throw escapes. Throws now come in 3 flavours: forward, neutral, and back, and the escape window now takes the first escape input and that's it. You don't need to do multiple eteg's every time you're in a - frames. You don't have to keep track of 12 different throws and character specific rules for optimal throw escapes (well, you do, but that doesn't mean keeping track of 6 different inputs. They've even added some easy defensive options selects, since you can hold guard and throw escape at the same time.

"Quick question, can anyone outline how Final Showdown changed the throw escape system?"

It's outlined in the OT.

GT: MoodyShuffle
PSN: MoodyShuffle

Will see you cats on both.

alstein

PSN: ArchdukeAlstein

I'm going all in on this game, though it may take time to learn a new char (I so want to go moe in this game)

This game raised my standards when it came to what I demand quality-wise from fighters. It turned me into a grumpy old man.

Got to play R a couple weeks ago with someone who ended up playing Chibita at the launch party.

Really tempted to get a new stick for this game to boot.

Day 1, played vanilla hardcore up until a couple years ago (it became too much of a hassle to find a match online ) can't wait til this comes out, the only fighter I've played that I straight up love.

Skilletor

Skillzilla81 on XBL and PSN

Vanessa all day erryday.

Would anyone be willing to take up a pupil? grap3fruitman on XBL

I also have a question regarding the DLC items. Once I purchase the DLC, do I still have to unlock all the items? If so, nuts to that.

I'm not an expert or anything, but we both play DoA, so I might be able to help a DoA player learn another game. :)

Mooreberg

VF5FS kinda loses the point with dlc items since they won't be visible to anyone that didn't buy the exact same dlc pack

Oh I figured it was already all in the game they were selling unlock keys. Anyway, not intending to derail the thread. I'm definitely getting this on PS3.

Capcom fans are too busy shitting on Capcom games, lol.

I can't wait to see how far this game goes with the FGC at large in the states, though.

BadWolf

Is this confirmed?

The custom costumes I see in match vids and tourneys annoy the crap out of me for the most part so if this is true then this is just what I needed.

alstein

Is this confirmed?

The custom costumes I see in match vids and tourney's annoy the crap out of me for the most part so if this is true then this is just what I needed.

Yes. Sega's reasoning is that they needed to do this to get the game under the 2GB XBLA file limit. I can buy their reasoning.

Onemic

Day one

PSN: onem1c

Getting ready to get my ass beat erryday as I learn to play this game.

And there are only three buttons? wat.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Will buy day one. And all the DLC :3

ReiGun

Always wanted to get into Virtua Fighter. I look forward to all of you beating me endlessly teaching me the ropes. :)

PSN: Reigun16

Doomshine

I'm not impressed by the condescending nonsense towards Capcom games in the OT, though.

It's a Virtua Fighter thread, par for the course.

I'll definitely be coming back to VF after skipping 5, no online was a deal breaker. Played 4 and Evo a lot, but hard to stay interested with no competition.

FYI, IRC is way easier for setting up matches (you don't need to have your xbox/ps3 on, much easier to communicate with a group of people at once). When we decided to all get together on IRC for Gundam EXVS, it became significantly easier to start up a lobby (and keep it populated).

irc.globalgamers.net
#vfgaf

Browser chat link if you don't know how/don't want to know how to setup an IRC client on your computer.

"So the game is 15 bucks, but all the DLC is $30? How does that work? What's in the DLC anyway?"

Character customization items. Different shirts, pants, shoes, misc. items, etc. That's it.

Top Bottom