• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings is better than Game of Thrones - come at me

And Spartacus was better than them both. 😀
9652dfc4a7027bb3266ee014bea3f848.gif

In all seriousness, Spartacus was the shit! Lucy Lawless naked was gift from the gods

Fox Mulder

Even with GOT ending like shit and tanking its legacy and popularity, the show was still top tier most of its run and the peak was greatest of all time good tv that millions were watching.

I never got into Vikings because it’s on the history channel.

Kadayi

Banned
The first season of Vikings was pretty terrible, but after that, it hits its stride. However, the show kind of hits a downward spiral in the later seasons after Ragnar dies and it is all about the sons. Kathryn Winnick is hot as hell though, that cannot be denied.

Game of Thrones, great up until the Showrunners ran out of book material to pull from and were having to work off of GRRMs outline. Bit of a rock and a hard place IMHO. The breakneck pacing definitely did the reception of the series no favours but at the same time the lack of material to draw from meant that they were already having to stretch storylines. Ultimately if GRRM spent less time doing anything but writing the books, things wouldn't have gone the way they did. It's easy to point the finger at the Showrunners solely, but ultimately if the fat cunt had spent less time feathering his nest with peripheral projects like 'The World of Ice and Fire' and the utterly wank 'Fire and Blood' Targaryan History book and more time working on the Winds of Winter etc things wouldn't have gone the way they did.

The Last Kingdom. First season is a little modest in budget as it was just a BBC production, However, Netflix came in from the second season and the bigger budget definitely shows. Doesn't quite have the grandiose stylings of Vikings or GOT, but it's an enjoyable enough series. Cromwell is a bit of formulaic writer though and it kind of shows at times. What I would say though is that the main protagonist Utred is quite flawed and a bit of a dick at times, which I kind of dig.

Spartacus. Guilty pleasure Television. Never bothered with the Later seasons but the first season and the prequel were highly entertaining. Real shame about the main dude dying of Cancer after season 1 as he was quite engaging. Not sure how his replacement did filling in his role.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I watched the first Season and a few episodes of Season 2, of Vikings.

OP, you're insane. GoT had far more interesting characters, put in far more interesting situations, in a far more interesting world.

BlueAlpaca

Vikings is garbage and only good for killing time. I saw first five seasons and I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Game of Thrones was only garbage in seasons 7/8, otherwise it was pretty good. Lots of problems but good all the same.

I read on a Slate Star Codex blog regarding genius and shakespeare many comments on how we have 100 shakespeares today, all working on TV shows. With an audience like that no wonder everybody's singing praise of a TV golden age. I myself can only count two good shows - sopranos and breaking bad - and neither of those I'd consider anything more than decent entertainment.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Vikings is garbage and only good for killing time. I saw first five seasons and I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Game of Thrones was only garbage in seasons 7/8, otherwise it was pretty good. Lots of problems but good all the same.

I read on a Slate Star Codex blog regarding genius and shakespeare many comments on how we have 100 shakespeares today, all working on TV shows. With an audience like that no wonder everybody's singing praise of a TV golden age. I myself can only count two good shows - sopranos and breaking bad - and neither of those I'd consider anything more than decent entertainment.
You watched 5 seasons of something even though you hated it? Wow. You must be bored af all the time.

manfestival

I had to stop watching Vikings. IMO it got really really bad after Ragnar died.

I eventually stopped watching, and even at its peak I don't consider it anywhere close to GOT. Despite how GOT ended it's still an amazing show.
Interesting... I did watch the following season since I was genuinely interested in seeing where they were going to take the show. It felt almost natural to have ended things there considering it is supposed to be historic fiction. I watched some more but what ultimately killed my interest in the show is that mid season "break" garbage where they ultimately create 2 short seasons and pretend it is one(unless you watch a show after completion).
The show kinda got hard for me to watch but I think it is because I really liked how mental Ivar was. That is all I can and will say. I did not watch any of the latest or even maybe the 2nd half of the last season. In fact, I can't remember where I actually left off at.

As for the thread, to me Game of Thrones was just so revolutionary in a sense. It paved the way for Vikings to be in its own greatness. Since many shows were trying to get that GoT crowd at the time. I remember my buddy pitching Vikings to me like a more PG GoT and it worked. I do think GoT is much better up until t he end of season 6. The story started losing its congruency there. Vikings fortunately has stayed solid but my gripe above turned me off from keeping up.

dorkimoe

I watched season 1 and really liked it, but then it got weird quick and i never got back to it. I should someday

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Always felt like a poor mans Vikings to me. The main dude doesn’t hold a candle to Travis Fimmel. If he did I’d probably know his name.

I like it better if only for it being a bit closer to actual historical events. Alexander Dreymon (Uhtred's actor) is great in my opinion. Perhaps not as good as Fimmel, but close in my book.

I'm also currently reading through The Saxon Stories that The Last Kingdom is based on and they are fantastic, so that might be coloring my opinion a bit.

Oberstein

I'm more of Judith guy myself. She gave up an ear for her man and took our her own shitty son when it had to be done.

51SvxnfmKoL.__AC_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Not to mention Lagertha was just as terrible as Bjorn at coming up with battle plans.

I still think Kathery Winnick should have been Captain Marvel though.

Agreed, but she's hotter as a blonde.

5Uyscbn.jpg

SirTerry-T

Vikings is great, though I prefer TLK.
Can't excuse Vikings for making every guy with a sleeve tattoo and a wardrobe full of leather thinking they are some berserker fucking warlord though just because they have a man bun.
That's just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom