• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC Podcast]: Avowed and HBII nearest after Starfield, Fable recently went into full production, Perfect Dark and Everwild "not close"

Banjo64

cumsessed
Playground released 5 Forza Horizon games in the past 10 years (game every 2 years), we have got 5 gears of war game in the last 16 years (game every approx 3 years), both critically acclaimed series with multiple awards.

Sony Santa Monica took sweet 8 years between God Of War 3 and God Of War 2018. Polyphony is notorious for taking 5-7 years to develop the next GT game and next instalment is never revolutionary, Sucker punch took 6 years to release Ghosts of Tsushima after their last game etc. based on this should we say that Sony cannot manage their studios?
*demented screeching*

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Playground released 5 Forza Horizon games in the past 10 years (game every 2 years), we have got 5 gears of war game in the last 16 years (game every approx 3 years), both critically acclaimed series with multiple awards.

Sony Santa Monica took sweet 8 years between God Of War 3 and God Of War 2018. Polyphony is notorious for taking 5-7 years to develop the next GT game and next instalment is never revolutionary, Sucker punch took 6 years to release Ghosts of Tsushima after their last game etc. based on this should we say that Sony cannot manage their studios?

Actually, you should have said that Santa Monica took 13 years between God of War 1 and God of War 2018, and that's why they are a terribly managed studio 😄

In your eagerness to defend XGS and blame PlayStation Studios, you forgot that Santa Monica also released God of War Ascension in 2013 and then co-developed and released The Order 1886 in 2015, and then released a game-of-the-generation God of War in 2018 (despite having a canceled game in between) and also already released God of War Ragnarok in 2022.

My sincere advice: instead of going into this 'whataboutism,' you should instead question XGS and why it's taking so long for them to fulfill their promises. Because "lack of games" is literally not a problem or concern for PlayStation gamers at all. They are very happy because they continue to get 4-6 high-quality exclusive games every year (which is already more than what MS hopes to achieve in the future). Critically questioning the companies you like help them get better. If more Xbox fans do that, Xbox will deliver better products to everyone.

Also, this thread is about Xbox games, not PlayStation. You're forcefully involving PlayStation Studios in this discussion, which will inevitably lead to console warring. Avoid that.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
How many of these were false for the time/year they got posted in ?
everyone GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you cannot respond to my arguments and facts and revert to personal attacks. You call other people bots i your previous post now this, how mods allowed this I don’t know. Double standards I guess. You come to Xbox threads and try to derail them and offend people and you still here, this baffles me.
You are screeching dementedly, it’s not an insult. Feel free to hit report though.

The brand is in a sorry state. I’m not going to arse lick mindlessly, because I actually care.

Why are they so slow with game development? This has been going on for ages and it always happens to microsoft. It's like when it took them years to get sea of thieves and crackdown 3 out but both were ass at launch. Sea of thieves barely had any content and crackdown 3 straight up sucked! Then there was infinite and it's first gameplay showing. I remember how hyped people were for that showcase but that was quickly deflated within 10 minutes of the show.

Having said that there are many things Microsoft do well like BC and gamepass. The hardware itself is great. It's just actual game development and studio management that seems to be a recurring problem for Microsoft.

Thats a way to put it.

Not to mention best Sony output came from Japan studios, that was also seemingly "mismanaged".

When you are trying to break new ground, you have to follow the approach "it's done when it's done".

Well oiled machinery doesn't sit right with me. Sure, if you wanna make endless Ubisoft style games that would work.

Am glad MS is taking it's time and apparently is committed to projects rather than putting out half finished stuff they used to, some time ago.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Imagine trying to sell a new console after the xbox one generation with no games announced?
Should have kept it based in reality.

Is this line up of games (from launch to 2023) going to set the world on fire? Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim, Halo Infinite, FH 5, AoE II and IV, Pentiment, High on Life, Grounded, Redfall, Starfield, FM8, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and Hi-Fi Rush.

Maybe, maybe not. Everyone’s different. But it’s good, IMO, and those games should have taken centre stage at launch for the first half of the Series consoles life span.

Imagine coming off the back of Starfield and then the following E3 (2024) MS were just dropping reveal trailers for Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade II, Everwild and Fable once all of the development kinks had been ruled out and they’d all be scheduled for release imminently or in the next 18 months or so.

They’ve over promised and under delivered and now games like Fable and Perfect Dark are being set up to fail because the fans have 4 years of excitement and hype for the devs to live up to.

kyussman

Being a US company I always imagine Microsoft run their studios like Google etc......like when you see those employees on social media swanning around their buildings sipping exotic smoothies and dipping in and out of deprivation tanks and meditation rooms....taking a break from all that to go play some pool or cobble together a nice vegan lunch from the buffet.

Roberts

I don't know about you guys, but I can wait. I've got too many games to play anyway. Also, this thread makes it sound like Xbox is totally incompetent and hasn't released shit and yet in the last four-fives years they have released Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Ori 2, Gears 5 (+Hivebusters), Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Pentiment, Forza Horizon 5, Hi-Fi Rush, Death Loop, Halo Infinite, Age of Empires 2, Minecraft Dungeons - games ranging from very good to banger all-timers.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lmao I recognize the bald guy on the left, he was on reeeee saying that gow ragnarock at 120hz mode looked like a ps6 game, what a fucking clown:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ar¢tos

It's a bittersweet situation, for me at least.
Fable is the main game I've been waiting to buy a XSS (HB2 will depend on how close to HB1 the gameplay is, but there are others like Sea of Thieves, Octopath Traveler, etc.). So it's very disappointing if only now it entered full production. On the positive side, I can buy a PSVR2 later this year and then worry with saving for the XSS, and it should be cheaper by then.

meernakh

I have said this before, and i will repeat it ad nausium. I'm happy Xbox finally stops talking about games that aren't slated to release soon. It's clear they changed their approach and decided to stop talking about games until they are close to release window. If that means we stop hearing from certain, already announced, games until what they can tell/show us is actually worth showing then i'll take it. That does not mean those games are in development hell or the studios are mismanaged. This forum takes the rumour mill as gospel.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't really see a contradiction here though. Playable means that most of the engine and features work, but now you have to produce all the content until the game is finished.
A game becomes playable after full production. It couldn't have been playable (implied, start to finish) during pre-production.

So Perfect Dark and Fable should be excused because they were new teams?

But then what about Everwild (Rare), State of Decay 3 (Undead Labs), Avowed (Obsidian), Compulsion Games' new game, Coalition's next game? None of those were new studios and new teams.
What's with Avowed? not counting Pentinent or Grounded, their last 1st person RPG released in Oct 2019, and they are with their first Fantasy 1st person RPG if i recall correctly.

Both Everwild and SoD 3 should be GaaS games which take longer than an onrails game, Factions is a good example here.

And we know nothing about Compulsion or Coalition games, only that one of them might be Gears 5's sequel, which released in 2019 too and then released Hivebusters in late 2020.

About the thread, yes, they got already 3 AAA's for this year, and next one should be Avowed, Hellblade, Contraband and either some Wolfenstein or Quake game i guess, and keep the 3-4 AAA's per year at least from now on, anything under that would be very bad.

cireza

(implied, start to finish)
The stretch is incredible, as usual.

Even the original news, which is titled :
Fable has reached a playable state, says producer
...is already an incredible stretch has the guy didn't say anything, and people simply extrapolated the situation based on the guy's profile lol...

According to Gill’s experience section, his work includes “preparing and facilitating regular game playthroughs and build reviews with key stakeholders.”
As usual, people are guessing things and putting their own definitions behind words as they see fit.

Even if there is a way to play through most of the game, there are most probably a lot of things remaining to produce and finalize. It's just how it works.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Actually, you should have said that Santa Monica took 13 years between God of War 1 and God of War 2018, and that's why they are a terribly managed studio 😄

In your eagerness to defend XGS and blame PlayStation Studios, you forgot that Santa Monica also released God of War Ascension in 2013 and then co-developed and released The Order 1886 in 2015, and then released a game-of-the-generation God of War in 2018 (despite having a canceled game in between) and also already released God of War Ragnarok in 2022.

My sincere advice: instead of going into this 'whataboutism,' you should instead question XGS and why it's taking so long for them to fulfill their promises. Because "lack of games" is literally not a problem or concern for PlayStation gamers at all. They are very happy because they continue to get 4-6 high-quality exclusive games every year (which is already more than what MS hopes to achieve in the future). Critically questioning the companies you like help them get better. If more Xbox fans do that, Xbox will deliver better products to everyone.

Also, this thread is about Xbox games, not PlayStation. You're forcefully involving PlayStation Studios in this discussion, which will inevitably lead to console warring. Avoid that.

Thankfully I have got plenty games to play;

In 2023 XGS published 2 games so far with 6 more confirmed for this year while Sony published so far Gt7 vr upgrade and Horizon VR game, and we know about 5 more titles planned for this year (one vr). Sony got planned only one AAA (Spider-Man 2) for this year as far as we know. While MS got Redfall, Starfield and Forza slated for h1 of this year.

Great news about Hellblade but I’m literally waiting for Fable. Nothing they’ve announced, released or bought interests me other than that. Hopefully some better things in between now me then.

Nautilus

Banned
Perfect Dark (2) is such a no brainer. Just take the concept of the first(objective-based missions) and expand on that. Maybe make a world that you can walk through connecting those missions, a hub where you can talk, explore, and augment/upgrade/customize your guns/abilities, but that's all the game needs to be, at least for this entry.

I feel like they will fuck it up sonehow though.

Yoboman

Santa Monica released Ascension in 2013, so it was 5 years. They canned a new IP in 2014, started God of War the same year, unveiled it in 2016 and released in 2018.

The difference is we are 3 years in now to some of these reveals. Even on a long marketing cycle they should be close to release but we are hearing some are nowhere close

Flutta

Banned
TBH, Sony doesn't do it now. They certainly have been guilty of doing that previously. Last Guardian anyone?

And tbh i find Sony to be ultra boring because of this. I miss the excitement those E3 shows and leaks used to bring to us gamers and then a bunch of party poopers from both the media and internet in general started to cry about delays and shit. I mean it’s not that serious that your whole life needs to stop because of games being delayed, pathetic!!

Damn wankers, twats enjoy boring SoP’s instead. Y’ll deserve it!

If true then fuck, Fable and Perfect Dark being that far away isn’t a good sign in my opinion. Fable has been in development forever it seems and I’m not sure why Perfect Dark is so difficult to develop, shouldn’t it be a linear shooter style game? Or did I get the wrong end there?

Happy to hear Avowed is getting closer, that’s without a doubt my most anticipated title from Xbox.

quest

Not Banned from OT
In the last 10 years, Naughty Dog has released 4 new AAA games, all GOTY winners. The 5th one is expected this year or the next. So 5 AAA games in 11 years.

And that's late? 😄

Michael Jordan Lol GIF
Using the same metrics of Obsidian entertainment being massively late at 3.5 years yep its only fair. Lets not forget ND has 2 teams each larger than Obsidian entertainment has for thier 1 team. I would hope 2k can put out more than 200. Also that next game is the over due the last of us multiplayer that should of launched in 2020.

Santa Monica released Ascension in 2013, so it was 5 years. They canned a new IP in 2014, started God of War the same year, unveiled it in 2016 and released in 2018.

The difference is we are 3 years in now to some of these reveals. Even on a long marketing cycle they should be close to release but we are hearing some are nowhere close
It doesn't matter when the marketing team revealed games. It only matters how long a studio has had to work on a game when criticism of a studio being slow and incompetent. Complain about the marketing team not the team working on the game who is on a normal schedule. If it took a giant studio like Santa Monica 5 years then 3.5 years is hard massively late.

Yoboman

Using the same metrics of Obsidian entertainment being massively late at 3.5 years yep its only fair. Lets not forget ND has 2 teams each larger than Obsidian entertainment has for thier 1 team. I would hope 2k can put out more than 200. Also that next game is the over due the last of us multiplayer that should of launched in 2020.

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]
It doesn't matter when the marketing team revealed games. It only matters how long a studio has had to work on a game when criticism of a studio being slow and incompetent. Complain about the marketing team not the team working on the game who is on a normal schedule. If it took a giant studio like Santa Monica 5 years then 3.5 years is hard massively late.
I am blaming Microsoft as a whole. All these parts need to work together. Even the 3 year marketing cycles Sony had last gen were too long which is why they have opted away from them now

But the teams don't escape blame nor the management of those teams. We know the Initiative was a disaster, we know 343 screwed up Halo. We know Ninja Theory were acquired already 5 years ago and have been working on Hellblade 2 with no release still in sight. Everwild was unveiled as nothing more than an aesthetic concept in 2019 and we know pre production on that game goes back to 2014. We had reports of Fable by Playground back to 2018 and revealed 3 years ago now and it's just finished pre production

The simple solution is don't unveil games in preproduction with fake CG trailers.

If you are going to then at least set expectations on how far off the game is. Eg Bethesda revealed Elder Scrolls VI way too early but at least they let us know at the time it wouldn't be developed until after Starfield

Last edited:
If true then fuck, Fable and Perfect Dark being that far away isn’t a good sign in my opinion. Fable has been in development forever it seems and I’m not sure why Perfect Dark is so difficult to develop, shouldn’t it be a linear shooter style game? Or did I get the wrong end there?

Happy to hear Avowed is getting closer, that’s without a doubt my most anticipated title from Xbox.
Both PD and Fable teams basically didn't exist 5 years ago as far as i know, it should be easier if they had 100-200 developers ready to start working on it since 2018 but it was not the case.

TBH, Sony doesn't do it now. They certainly have been guilty of doing that previously. Last Guardian anyone?
They had to make that mistake to learn.
But even then remember the 4 quad-rinity of games they showed over and over: Ghost Of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Last of Us Part 2 and yet, gameplay was shown every year of at least one of the games at every major event.
Over here at ms land, only now they got the memo to do their own dev direct.

DarthPutin

Shame about Fable, if true. I was looking to it forward the most from MS presentation - I looked up the last game, and it seemed fun. I guess I could be interested in Avowed, but I have no clue what it'll be like, I only remember one image from the presentation!

Everwild I gave up for dead. It looked absolutely gorgeous, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if it arrives at some point.

MS definitely to blame for showing all this so early. I feel like even then it was obvious though that between no dates and CGI trailers, those are some vague promises of a far future to come, but people used all these vague trailers for list wars and such.

SaucyJack

It shouldn't be remotely controversial to observe that Xbox Studios need to get their shit together, they are nowhere near productive enough.

For the longest time 1st party was an issue with Xbox because MS preferred to do 3rd party exclusivity ahead of investing in their own studio system. However, today there are more than 20 studios in the Xbox family and if we judge them on DELIVERY it's just not good enough. So far anyway, but I definitely hope this changes

Expressing concern about productivity of Xbox Studios should not just be a PS fanboy talking point, it should be a genuine concern if you own an Xbox too.

er .. well I don't know how to feel about that lol
Well as much as people dog COD , Activision do release their biggest game every year. So they know how to do game development like a machine and can get it done in a timely efficient matter.
It would probably help Microsoft a lot like Bungie is helping Sony with networking/gaas.

Last edited:

XXL

Interesting to hear them talk about Microsoft going after Activision so that Activision can take over Xbox Games Studios and steer that part of the business in the right direction
From the perspective of a massive company wanting to fix their issues, this makes the most sense.

I've been thinking this for a while now, I think they REALLY want Activision to replace the management positions of Xbox. Hate on Activision management all you want, Activision management knows what they're doing, Xbox management doesn't.

Top Bottom