• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve working on DualSense support for Steam

GHG

On Steam "support" for controllers just means the controller is recognised for the steam interface, features and any games you run through Steam. That doesn't mean there will be support for the controller specific features like the adaptive triggers and haptics. Sony will likely have to release some specific drivers to unlock that on PC (or a modder might be able to do it first).

On Steam "support" for controllers just means the controller is recognised for the steam interface, features and any games you run through Steam. That doesn't mean there will be support for the controller specific features like the adaptive triggers and haptics. Sony will likely have to release some specific drivers to unlock that on PC (or a modder might be able to do it first).

I was thinking it would be cool if devs could easily put the dualsense features into the PC version for people to use. But I also think Sony will try their best to make sure these features do not become available on PC.

GHG

I was thinking it would be cool if devs could easily put the dualsense features into the PC version for people to use. But I also think Sony will try their best to make sure these features do not become available on PC.

Yeh unfortunately with the DS4 the only way the full suite of the controllers features became usable on the PC was via DS4 windows but no games ultimately supported them (gyro, touchpad, etc). It just ended up behaving like a standard Xbox One/360 controller in all cases once in game.

It would be great for them to officially support the controller on PC so that PC devs can make use of it but I can't see it happening based on history.

Last edited:

as1m

Banned
Forza would feel so good on a dualsense. The feedback/vibration felt good on xbox controller so I imagine it will feel superb on Dualsense.

Kazza

Nice. I hope that Sony put the effort in to make the controller work as it does on PS5 when they port God of War, Horizon 2 etc to PC

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Noice.
Out of interest. Is the PS5 controller any bigger compared to the ps4 controller?

Yep. Closer to an Xbox pad. L1/R1 are like twice the size, the sticks feel a bit small. Very quiet button pushes.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's up to the game developers, a lot o games on pc work just like on ps4. Unless Sony locked the features by design.

GHG

It's up to the game developers, a lot o games on pc work just like on ps4. Unless Sony locked the features by design.

It's not. Developers don't have access to things like gyro and touch pad gestures on the DS4 controller. Sony haven't given PC developers access to the controller at the api level.

Don't be fooled by the controller being recognised as DS4 and the appropriate button prompts being shown. That can be done via detection which doesn't require anything from Sony other than drivers.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

It's not. Developers don't have access to things like gyro and touch pad gestures on the DS4 controller. Sony haven't given PC developers access to the controller at the api level.

Don't be fooled by the controller being recognised as DS4 and the appropriate button prompts being shown. That can be done via detection which doesn't require anything from Sony other than drivers.
But I used the gyro aim on my ds4 on pc. Of course through steam, but still, it can be done.

GHG

But I used the gyro aim on my ds4 on pc. Of course through steam, but still, it can be done.

Yes but that's via Steam Input which has nothing to do with Sony. Play the game without using steam or with out the controller being ticked and configured in the Steam controller settings menu and you will get nothing. Developers don't have access to gyro natively. Steam input takes the gyro and then uses it to simulate mouse movement, the same way they did with the Steam controller.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow sony just killed the reason to get a ps5.
i want dual sense in all mah pc games

Keihart

Some games already have full DS4 support without the steam help, i hope more games adopt the Dual Sense now after Steam makes it compatible through their controller support.
I mean, this can only be a good thing. It will give developers a bigger reason to support the feature and make it a new standard.

JimboJones

Some games already have full DS4 support without the steam help, i hope more games adopt the Dual Sense now after Steam makes it compatible through their controller support.
I mean, this can only be a good thing. It will give developers a bigger reason to support the feature and make it a new standard.
It's still kind of bizarre how poorly the gyro was supported on PS4 vs being able to use it on Steam so easily and even the Switch seems to have more games with it enabled.

Top Bottom