• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve teases the Valve Index VR headset for May reveal

Solomeena

Banned
Congratulations Valve, from a proud PSVR owner. Welcome to the club.

The PC market is SO wide open, can so many headsets coexist? Seems like there's a new one coming out every other month. The Valve name should give this one an instant fanbase though, I have more faith in its staying power than perhaps even the Vive. But let's see the price and what's under the hood first.

Uh, you do know that the Vive was all Valve right?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, no. I'm not in some bubble. I have come into contact with tens of thousands of people that have tried VR, and it has always been very rare for them to think of it as a gimmick.

VR hardware doesn't make people sick by itself. It's a cause in software, and therefore avoidable, so long as IPD is correct and FPS hits 90 consistently.

I'm a big VR fan boy. I'm a single racer so that's somewhat expected. I'm not particularly susceptible to be sickness but there are done issues not solvable by software currently. For instance, going forward in my race car I'm fine. Reverse and it starts getting a bit chundery. More sensitive stomachs might go full chunder.

Stitch

Gold Member
Not sure if I want it because I already have a Vive. Depends on the price and if it's a decent upgrade from the Vive, but I definitely want the Knuckles. And Whatever VR game they were working on. I hope it's not just that Moondust Demo..

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Didn’t Valve just fire more than half of the VR hardware team? Couple that with Valves spotty history with hardware releases if that ain’t setting off alarm bells already I don’t know what would.

I will keep an open mind though, the move away from stupid fucking base stations all over the show is a very welcome development. Needs to be relatively cheap(ish) though as I imagine it will compete with the Rift S and that seems quite reasonably priced.

Kadayi

Banned
You just said innovation is smart. Now innovation doesn't matter?

Try contextualising words rather than jumping on them and think they are applied to the same thing. One use relates to hardware tech versus affordability, the other relates to trading off a dead franchise versus creating something new that can fully leverage the power and potency of VR as your Flagship title and will appeal to old and new players alike.

Price maters, sure. But people can still buy other VR headsets as I very very highly doubt these will be exclusive to Valve's headset.

What the fuck relevance does that have to what I said?

And you do realize that people went bananas over the FF7 remake, right? Half Life is right up there. System Shock 3 is a thing now too, and the last System Shock game was 20 years ago.

LOL, so now you think Valve is going to remake all of Half-life franchise in VR now? Yeah, I remember when they remade the original game in the Source Engine, oh no right, they just imported the original assets and did fuck and all with it. They've had umpteen years to remaster it fully, and they've never yet bothered. I'm not seeing VR being the pivot point, least of all when they still haven't concluded the Episodic Trilogy, I get it, you think the sun shines out of Gabe's ass, but the truth of the matter is, without the financial success of Steam to sustain them, Valve as a developer would have probably gone belly up years ago. Also if you think System Shock 3 is going to do gangbusters in terms of sales, I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. It's not going to be a failure, but it's not going to do crazy numbers.

Last edited:

moniker

Didn’t Valve just fire more than half of the VR hardware team?

No.

Couple that with Valves spotty history with hardware releases if that ain’t setting off alarm bells already I don’t know what would.

What's spotty about it? Both the Steam Link and Steam Controller are solid.

I will keep an open mind though, the move away from stupid fucking base stations all over the show is a very welcome development.

Index will still use SteamVR tracking (the 2.0 version).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not gonna lie, I am fascinated to see what Half Life VR would be like.

Index is a dumb name for the headset though.

Oh wow new hardware from Valve! Add it to the pile of half assed, failed shit.

Wait, a new game from Valve!? Oh wait... A new game from.. new Valve...

Wait its VR!!!!! .... Who gives a shit?... Talk to me when they solve locomotion twenty years from now.

Bet you VR enthusiasts can't wait to drop tons of money on a product guaranteed to get Valve's world class support for a shitty new game built around siphoning money from your wallet.

I'm a big VR fan boy. I'm a single racer so that's somewhat expected. I'm not particularly susceptible to be sickness but there are done issues not solvable by software currently. For instance, going forward in my race car I'm fine. Reverse and it starts getting a bit chundery. More sensitive stomachs might go full chunder.
That's what I meant though. That the cause of motion sickness lies in software. If you aren't artificially moving and the other two conditions I mentioned are correct, then you won't be sick.

Try contextualising words rather than jumping on them and think they are applied to the same thing. One use relates to hardware tech versus affordability, the other relates to trading off a dead franchise versus creating something new that can fully leverage the power and potency of VR as your Flagship title and will appeal to old and new players alike.

What the fuck relevance does that have to what I said?

LOL, so now you think Valve is going to remake all of Half-life franchise in VR now? Yeah, I remember when they remade the original game in the Source Engine, oh no right, they just imported the original assets and did fuck and all with it. They've had umpteen years to remaster it fully, and they've never yet bothered. I'm not seeing VR being the pivot point, least of all when they still haven't concluded the Episodic Trilogy, I get it, you think the sun shines out of Gabe's ass, but the truth of the matter is, without the financial success of Steam to sustain them, Valve as a developer would have probably gone belly up years ago. Also if you think System Shock 3 is going to do gangbusters in terms of sales, I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. It's not going to be a failure, but it's not going to do crazy numbers.
You're weird. Very contradictory and very confused. I never said anything about Valve remaking the franchise.

Didn’t Valve just fire more than half of the VR hardware team? Couple that with Valves spotty history with hardware releases if that ain’t setting off alarm bells already I don’t know what would.

I will keep an open mind though, the move away from stupid fucking base stations all over the show is a very welcome development. Needs to be relatively cheap(ish) though as I imagine it will compete with the Rift S and that seems quite reasonably priced.
Valve fired 13 people from 6 different departments for people reasons. It was unrelated to VR and wasn't related to a change in direction.

Oh wow new hardware from Valve! Add it to the pile of half assed, failed shit.

Wait, a new game from Valve!? Oh wait... A new game from.. new Valve...

Wait its VR!!!!! .... Who gives a shit?... Talk to me when they solve locomotion twenty years from now.

Bet you VR enthusiasts can't wait to drop tons of money on a product guaranteed to get Valve's world class support for a shitty new game built around siphoning money from your wallet.
Lighten up dude. Your negativity is going to give you wrinkles.

Kadayi

Banned
You're weird. Very contradictory and very confused. I never said anything about Valve remaking the franchise.

Fuck right off with that BS . Nothing I've said is contradictory at all. You're just too stupid to understand it, it seems. Whilst you scratch your ass trying to figure that out, maybe buy yourself a clue and learn how to use the forums multi-quote function rather than double posting all the time. Also maybe get a forum Avatar. Suggestion below: -

th

I would prefer they make a headset with similar specs to oculus. Don't want to shell out like $700 for one unless it has it own dedicated gpu or something.

Fuck right off with that BS . Nothing I've said is contradictory at all. You're just too stupid to understand it, it seems. Whilst you scratch your ass trying to figure that out, maybe buy yourself a clue and learn how to use the forums multi-quote function rather than double posting all the time. Also maybe get a forum Avatar. Suggestion below: -

th
Love you too.

Shifty

There's no primary source here. It's some journalist claiming 'it may come with a half-life VR game' without backing said claim up with any facts.

And this is some random person's Source 2 notes, not anything official. It's a collation of engine functionality and information gathered from various leaks since 2017.

And more to the point, neither of these are related to the link you based this thread on other than being VR-adjacent.
Your topic title is misinformation.

Last edited:
There's no primary source here. It's some journalist claiming 'it may come with a half-life VR game' without backing said claim up with any facts.

And this is some random person's Source 2 notes, not anything official. It's a collation of engine functionality and information gathered from various leaks since 2017.

And more to the point, neither of these are related to the link you based this thread on other than being VR-adjacent.
Your topic title is misinformation.
You can look for yourself by datamining Source 2 in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. HLVR references are everywhere. I know this is happening. You can choose to believe me or not, but it will be clear before May is over.

Last edited:

Owari

Epic tries to take devs from Steam. Valve drops the headset.

A HL3 announcement would be the nail in the coffin for Epic’s Game store. Microsoft game store, meh, Valve ain’t gonna waste ammo on what they knew would be another flop. Uplay store and Origin, no biggie. They waited until a worthy competitor showed up and are like KABLAAM! VR headset with HL3.
Yup. Epic is done.

Romulus

A lot of strange, quick triggered aggressive behavior going on.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this. I know the hardware itself will be interesting, but what comes with it really makes the imagination run wild. Even if its not Half-Life. They're working three "big" games for VR, and I really doubt they'll come out with some mediocre shovelware shit to make their splash into the VR world. Exciting!

Shifty

You can look for yourself by datamining Source 2 in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. HLVR references are everywhere. I know this is happening. You can choose to believe me or not, but it will be clear before May is over.
Whether HLVR is a thing or not is a separate topic for a separate thread. I don't necessarily disbelieve that Valve has worked on it in some capacity based on the leaks, but it has nothing to do with the article in the OP.

HyGogg

Banned
Haha yeah good luck with that.

The guy who made the first two half-lifes quit and basically said “yeah they have no intention of maming half-life 3”, and Valve stayed silent on the matter. It’s basically confirmed at this point that they’re not going to make a new half-life.
The rumor is that Half LifeVR is not HL3 but a prequel. This is from the same leak that has basically been proven correct with the rest of this announcement.

HyGogg

Banned
So this is super interesting, especially contrasted against Oculus' super conservative play with the Rift S. Some thoughts:

1) This thing is going to expensive. Maybe not Vive Pro expensive, but very likely Vive launch expensive. I would be shocked if it was less than $600.
2) This thing is going to have very high system requirements. There's no eye tracking, and a significant resolution bump, which means this is going to take a much more powerful system to maintain the same performance and image quality.
3) Speaking of which, pixel density is probably not radically improved. It seems like resolution increases have scaled with FOV increases, which means the pixels per degree are probably not radically different unless there's something major we don't know about, like a hybrid/multi-res screen.
4) Those cameras are definitely for passthrough, not inside out.
5) What the hell is that expansion port on the front for? It's covered by a transparent shield, so almost certainly an optical sensor of some kind, and it looks like it sockets into a USB port... But what could this be that would be so cost prohibitive they'd need to market it as an option? The only thing I could think of is controller-less finger tracking, but that doesn't seem like it would add that much cost, and could even be possible just with the cameras, so I really don't know...

I'm super interested in this, but I'm also pretty deeply invested in the Rift ecosystem, so it would depend somewhat on whether ReVive or the coming OpenXR implementation can bridge those ecosystems.

Top Bottom