• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xbox partnership coming soon?

Barakov

Gold Member
Didn't gabe say Series X is the best platform on television recently? So yeah wouldn't be surprised if Valve and MS joined hands to reduce PlayStation to the point of insignificance in the games industry.
"Mr. PlayStation"

Ygi5Wz2.png

The Alien

Banned
valve_index_full_kit.jpg

Dream: Xbox Series X gets PC VR compatibility. Not available on Series S. Select headsets. Launches Jan 2021. Half-Life Alyx Series X exclusive, available on VR launch day. #Believe

Reality: Gamepass available through Steam. Old Valve titles included in the subscription on Xbox consoles.

Edit:
Actual reality: It was for the Game Awards. How very fetch.
The thing I hate about this post is how awesome you "dream" is....and how accurate likely are with the Game Awards reality.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Probably nothing.. but if anything, a Valve Xbox partnership for VR with the Index would be cool.

Exactly what I was thinking. A new mid tier index and index compatibility on Series X would be really cool.

Imagine Alix on Series X!

DJT123

Can Gabe Newell ask Phil Spencer straight out to confirm if "the basket of Deplorables" will be "allowed" to join the Xbox fam? Microsoft had a little collaboration with the ADL lately that might indicate otherwise. FYI, I'm cool either way.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Surprise surprise.

“I don’t have a stake in that race” yeah sure.

It's reminds me of when Tim Sweeney was starting slowly but surely praising PS5's SSD up until we got to know about the ongoing deal between Epic and Sony and he was never heard of afterwards, so who knows, maybe there is something similar going on with Valve and MS - Microsoft for sure has learned the hard way that many PC people will stick to Steam and nothing else, and if they really want to bring PC people into Xbox ecosystem, merging with Steam is the best, if not the only way to do it. We are just 3 weeks away from XSX launch tho, so not much time to announce anything, but never say never.

I’ll go ahead and say that Newell wasn’t on camera because he was naked the whole time. And also multitasking a game of DOTA and/or Auto Chess.

Stitch

Gold Member
That’s not available to 95% of the community.

Edit : I misspoke 98.7% of the community.

Steams Hardware Survey is broken and they should've fixed it years ago or should just get rid of it.
The last survey didn't detect my Vive. I tried 2 times, turned it + Steam VR on. Still not detected. Many people reported the same thing (and have been reporting it for years). Also there's people who unplug the Headset so those definitely don't get counted. Then there's people using the Quest + Virtual Desktop. I'm sure those also don't get counted.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seems like they are working together on several nice projects. F.ex. here's what Valve, Microsoft and HP just made (shipping in a few days, yay):

6hkjdCj.png

• 2 x 2.98″ LCD panels
  • 2160 x 2160 per eye
  • RGB Stripe
  • Persistence without dimming the panels
  • inside-out tracking
  • Valve-designed lenses
  • BIG sweetspot and arguably unmatched clarity
Edit: Reverb G2..

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i will buy reverb if it works on series x

hold a sec.. it uses that generic ass controller.. XD

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Seems like they are working together on several nice projects. F.ex. here's what Valve, Microsoft and HP just made (shipping in a few days, yay):

6hkjdCj.png

• 2 x 2.98″ LCD panels
  • 2160 x 2160 per eye
  • RGB Stripe
  • Persistence without dimming the panels
  • inside-out tracking
  • Valve-designed lenses
  • BIG sweetspot and arguably unmatched clarity
Edit: Reverb G2..
It's also Valve designed audio (Where are my valve designed headphones!) and headstrap. It's basically Index with different tracking system.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Will it be announced on Wednesday, as all major MS announcements should be?

Serious take -- I would fucking LOVE IT if they allowed Xbox to function like a Steam Link.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Super curious to know what all of this means, but I'll reserve my excitement. I wouldn't wanna get excited and then crushed, lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Console gamers get upset every year because Steam never delivers on consoles, PS4 never had a steam game why should we expect steam games on next gen hardware?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm always skeptical of any hype propelled by Geoff Keighley around the time of Game Awards.
Remember that he'll justify nearly any means to bring in viewers.

Remember when Death Stranding and Kojima was plastered all over the ads for the Game Awards, to great hype, with no appearance or word from Kojima Productions? He does this stuff.

Anyways, I'd simply be happy with a modern version of Half-Life 2.

sixamp

If xbox was smart 🤷🏻‍♂️ they would get the oculus quest 2 to work with the Xbox. It's a $300 vr headset that works great!!!!. The valve index is $1000. I've always been against vr but I just picked up.the oculus quest 2 and it has completely changed my mind. The index is better as a hard wired headset but the quest being able to be mobile, wired or streamed from.pc wirelessly and at $300 is a no brainier

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

Guess I'll say it in this thread too haha

Like I said in the other thread, you have been able to link your steam account in the PC Xbox app for a long time, it means nothing. You can also link your twitch, facebook, twitter, discord, and reddit accounts to your xbox account.

Open the xbox app on your pc right now and go to settings and you can see it.

Tschumi

SEGA... VALVE... UNICEF!

I'm not sure any company in all of gaming has more money than valve, via steam... i sincerely doubt they'd have any reason to do that.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Guess I'll say it in this thread too haha

Like I said in the other thread, you have been able to link your steam account in the PC Xbox app for a long time, it means nothing. You can also link your twitch, facebook, twitter, discord, and reddit accounts to your xbox account.

Open the xbox app on your pc right now and go to settings and you can see it.
Maybe not, but this with the Keighley does make it interesting.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
SEGA... VALVE... UNICEF!

I'm not sure any company in all of gaming has more money than valve, via steam...

Valve - 10 billion (2019)
Epic - 15 billion
Activision -50 billion
Tencent - over 500 billion
Microsoft - 1.62 trillion
Sony - 90 billion

Just a few. Valve isn't worth that much when compared to the big boys. I agree though, most likely not for sale. The numbers can be verified easily on Google.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Valve - 10 billion (2019)
Epic - 15 billion
Activision -50 billion
Tencent - over 500 billion
Microsoft - 1.62 trillion
Sony - 90 billion

Just a few. Valve isn't worth that much when compared to the big boys. I agree though, most likely not for sale. The numbers can be verified easily on Google.
Great info thanks :) yeah they're definitely not having any trouble!

Top Bottom