• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xbox partnership coming soon?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Valve - 10 billion (2019)
Epic - 15 billion
Activision -50 billion
Tencent - over 500 billion
Microsoft - 1.62 trillion
Sony - 90 billion

Just a few. Valve isn't worth that much when compared to the big boys. I agree though, most likely not for sale. The numbers can be verified easily on Google.
Valve is a private company, we don't know how much they're worth.

Valves not for sale though, and if they were it's not at a price that Nintendo or Sony could afford. Microsoft could, but it would cost them likely double or triple what Zenimax just did, so not a chance in hell they would do it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Valve is a private company, we don't know how much they're worth.

Valves not for sale though, and if they were it's not at a price that Nintendo or Sony could afford. Microsoft could, but it would cost them likely double or triple what Zenimax just did, so not a chance in hell they would do it.
It's not hard at all. It's the get first hit. They got a preliminary valuation last year. 10-15 billion doesn't matter when you look at the list. Again, a simple check on Google would comes up with this. There's are plenty of reasons large private companies get independent valuations.

Can you sure the source don't they are not for sale? Thanks! Couldn't find it. Although I already agreed that was most likely the case.

https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/profiles/gabe-newell/#:~:text=Valve was valued at $10,Electronic Entertainment Index since then.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's not hard at all. It's the get first hit. They got a preliminary valuation last year. 10-15 billion doesn't matter when you look at the list. Again, a simple check on Google would comes up with this. There's are plenty of reasons large private companies get independent valuations.

Can you sure the source don't they are not for sale? Thanks! Couldn't find it. Although I already agreed that was most likely the case.

https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/profiles/gabe-newell/#:~:text=Valve was valued at $10,Electronic Entertainment Index since then.
A google search comes up with “private company” and some guesses.

What do you mean “10-15 billion doesn’t matter when you look at the list”? There is no way Sony could buy a company that is valued at 15 billion lol. First they would have to buy well over the valuation, and secondly Sony only have 30 billion in cash. Yes, I know you don’t just buy with cash, but you also don’t spend over half the amount of cash reserves on an acquisition.

I think somewhere in the future it is possible. In fact MS and Steam are natural allies these days - MS will be able to retire its Windows Store, and use Steam as the main platform on PC - after all, nobody can compete with Steam on PC (except piracy lol).

Valve + MS, Epic + Tencent.

P.S. also I heard that EGS is closer with PS so...

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
A google search comes up with “private company” and some guesses.

What do you mean “10-15 billion doesn’t matter when you look at the list”? There is no way Sony could buy a company that is valued at 15 billion lol. First they would have to buy well over the valuation, and secondly Sony only have 30 billion in cash. Yes, I know you don’t just buy with cash, but you also don’t spend over half the amount of cash reserves on an acquisition.

I gave you a link. Preliminary discussions are not guesses, but based on information given to the analyst by Valve themselves. Also to the people that would be buying, 10-15 billion wouldn't matter. Sony wouldn't be one of them.

It isn't a list of who would buy, it's a list showing Valve is not the biggest gaming company as previously posted.

Again, you've made a definitive claim they won't sell. You were very precise about that. Can you cite your source please as I'm curious as to why you would say that?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I gave you a link. Preliminary discussions are not guesses, but based on information given to the analyst by Valve themselves. Also to the people that would be buying, 10-15 billion wouldn't matter. Sony wouldn't be one of them.

It isn't a list of who would buy, it's a list showing Valve is not the biggest gaming company as previously posted.

Again, you've made a definitive claim they won't sell. You were very precise about that. Can you cite your source please as I'm curious as to why you would say that?
Link is paywalled.

Sorry I missed the part where you were simply refuting someone else’s claim about valve being the biggest gaming company, that’s my mistake.

Valve won’t sell because they have no reason to. They rake in money, they don’t have shareholders to appease, and they have a stranglehold on the entire pc gaming market. The owner is a billionaire many times over already, so money isn’t going to make him sell.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Link is paywalled.

Sorry I missed the part where you were simply refuting someone else’s claim about valve being the biggest gaming company, that’s my mistake.

Valve won’t sell because they have no reason to. They rake in money, they don’t have shareholders to appease, and they have a stranglehold on the entire pc gaming market. The owner is a billionaire many times over already, so money isn’t going to make him sell.

No problem. I have a subscription to bloomberg for the financials and don't realize it wouldn't come through here. I could post the written text here, but I don't know what the rules here are. In essence, they got a valuation in 2019 and it's not as much as people would think (10 billion in 2019).

As fast as selling goes, you are then saying it's your opinion based on no evidence that they won't sell. That's fine then, but consider many would have been in the same boat with Zenimax/Bethesda. Also, Valve has most likely never been worth more that they are now. Their projections might show a plateau.

Just to be clear, I don't think they would sell either for other reasons.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s probably cross chat or a variation of it.

Unless MS buys Steam of course. Which I no longer put out of the question. If you can’t beat them, buy them.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No problem. I have a subscription to bloomberg for the financials and don't realize it wouldn't come through here. I could post the written text here, but I don't know what the rules here are. In essence, they got a valuation in 2019 and it's not as much as people would think (10 billion in 2019).

As fast as selling goes, you are then saying it's your opinion based on no evidence that they won't sell. That's fine then, but consider many would have been in the same boat with Zenimax/Bethesda. Also, Valve has most likely never been worth more that they are now. Their projections might show a plateau.

Just to be clear, I don't think they would sell either for other reasons.
Nah I’ll take your word for it so yeh don’t risk posting paywalled content.

Zenimax had been put up for sale before though hadn’t they? I thought they were having money problems a while back.

Anyway if they are or aren’t up for sale we literally wouldn’t know until it got announced they’re bought since they’re private, so no point going back and forth on that part of it. Absolutely I have zero evidence, just my opinion based on their standing in the market and other factors.

pasterpl

It would make sense for ms to buy valve, steam would get some investment in it to make sure that it stays the leading games store on pc, and ms would be able to integrate it closer with windows, maybe valve would get time to work on the next Half life?

for Sony it doesn’t make sense to buy valve unless they are serious about going multi-platform with pc like ms did

Schmick

Wow... just imagine if MS bought Steam. All Steam games (therefore PC games) available on Xbox but.... only via xCloud.

The number of Game Pass Ultimate subscribers would go through the roof!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It would make sense for ms to buy valve
Wow... just imagine if MS bought Steam.

Valve prints money. The buyout figure would have to be absolutely fucking astronomical for them to bother, which obviously they could do, but I'm not sure Valve would even be interested. They can go on doing almost nothing and generating outrageous profits indefinitely.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Valve prints money. The buyout figure would have to be absolutely fucking astronomical for them to bother, which obviously they could do, but I'm not sure Valve would even be interested. They can go on doing almost nothing and generating outrageous profits indefinitely.
My guess would be a bid of 15-18 billion would be required as it's higher than their valuation. Doubt Microsoft wants Valve though. Also I would think this would spark some anti-trust discussion as it should.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I choose to believe Gabe was trying to call the PM of New Zealand all week, but his phone lines were all tied up, and his personal phones rang off the hook, unable to dial out, because of Geoff Keighley.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
May have been said before but you can connect your steam accountint he new xbox app..

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok so you mean people see Lisa and Mark arrive at the party together and folks just assume they bumpin uglies...but Gabe and Phil show up at this and people are like "It's nothing, it's just the game awards".

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, Bob.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
May have been said before but you can connect your steam accountint he new xbox app..
You've been able to do this for well over 12 months. You can also connect your facebook, twitter, twitch, discord, and reddit accounts - does that mean MS are buying them or doing partnerships with them?

Ok so you mean people see Lisa and Mark arrive at the party together and folks just assume they bumpin uglies...but Gabe and Phil show up at this and people are like "It's nothing, it's just the game awards".

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, Bob.
There were 350+ people on that call. The call was confirmed to be about the game awards. There would have been sony people on the call too. Is MS buying every company that every one of those 350 people work for?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You've been able to do this for well over 12 months. You can also connect your facebook, twitter, twitch, discord, and reddit accounts - does that mean MS are buying them or doing partnerships with them?

There were 350+ people on that call. The call was confirmed to be about the game awards. There would have been sony people on the call too. Is MS buying every company that every one of those 350 people work for?
You think it could be possible?

/s

KRYPT83

I wouldn't read much into it.

If it happens, get ready for another shit show of "valve never made anything good" or "valve games are still going to be on Playstation" threads.

Only game I'd be happy to see is a L4D 3.
Could you imagine booting steam kernal up on series X and playing HZD or Death Stranding Sony stans head would explode

The Alien

Banned
Wow. What a crazy list of people in that meeting: Legends of gaming....titans of industry....and the Doritos Pope!!! 😝

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Geoff already said it was about the VGX, and there were over 150 people on call. I am so confused why this thread is still open without a title or OP change. Even more confused reading the posts on last page, why are people still speculating? Pure ignorance, or just being stupid? lol

MrFunSocks

Banned
Geoff already said it was about the VGX, and there were over 150 people on call. I am so confused why this thread is still open without a title or OP change. Even more confused reading the posts on last page, why are people still speculating? Pure ignorance, or just being stupid? lol
Over 350*

Compsiox

Banned
A lot of debunked threads are left open like the Sega Acquisition thread.

Really fucking annoying. I was saying the other day that I thought the mods have gone on strike or something.

Do these clickbait threads bring in some good ad revenue or something?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
We do this every week. MS is teaming up with or buying blank. Bethesda is one of the few that didn't have strong rumors. Basically no one putting these rumors out has any idea what they're talking about.

Top Bottom