• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmmm... how does it look on a CRT? Better?

I never owned a PSP. My first Sony handheld was an OG Vita.

It looks bad on everything.

XRGB-3 boasted a feature to make it look better, too, but I think it was just referring to an ability to stretch the picture to fill the screen.

As much as I prefer to play games on a TV vs. a portable (ie: always), the PSP is a system that I just play on the system itself. It really is that bad.

Khaz

Damn that's bad. I hoped the unusual resolution would be simply improperly handled, but having the console doing it is just wrong.

I believe some upscalers can actually zoom in the picture, I don't know if the Framemeister does? The guy who made that awesome consolised Game Gear used a SONY DSC-1024HD to have the picture blown up to fullscreen.

http://www.lcv.ne.jp/~mgs1987/sega/gg10.html

gg2289.jpg

gg2290.jpg

I just picked up a good curved Trinitron that was made in 2001. It looks great with my SNES on S-Video. The only downside is that it doesn't have any component inputs but for 2 dollars I can't complain.

Anyway, I was wondering if it's worth getting a NES without any modding done to it. I'm feeling nostalgic for it, but if the highest video quality I can get for my TV is composite I'm not sure it would be worth it.

^^^ Yes, that's what I've gathered from impressions on this board - NES has a pretty good composite signal (all things considered) and Sega consoles are worse than others.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I dunno if I'd call the NES composite output "good." It's over-sharpened and tends to crush various details in the picture. The sample videos in the OP between the stock NES and NESRGB show this. The NESRGB composite-out is blurrier but doesn't kill as many background details.

Mega

Banned
I'll third the Genesis as having terrible composite. I played a couple of stages of MMX on 1-Chip SNES and have played a lot of Famicom on composite and they were both acceptable.

Sonic 2, Batman Returns and Streets of Rage on Genesis were a painful eyesore. It was so bad I had to stop until I got it hooked up with RGB, which looks very nice. But Sonic 3 on RGB is really ugly. Maybe it's just the messy-looking opening stages that seem tailor-made for a blurry picture. Not my pic but exemplary:

On a related note, does this work for Wii component to scart?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-T...-DM-100-RGB-/320701438095?hash=item4aab4b988f

I cannot find this one in stock anywhere:
WiiPage11.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Angel Island Zone doesn't look good on any video output. Not enough different shades of green.

Green Hill Zone was the only opening level on the Genesis series that looked really good, imo, Sonic CD and Chaotix excluded.

Angel Island Zone doesn't look good on any video output. Not enough different shades of green.

Green Hill Zone was the only opening level on the Genesis series that looked really good, imo, Sonic CD and Chaotix excluded.

Mushroon Hill (S&K) is the nicest looking intro stage for that series IMO. The color choices were really bold and you got some nice palette changes throughout the level.

Thanks for the PSP info, guys. I am not sure how it looks on a CRT because my PSP-2000 will only output a progressive signal, which my PVM doesn't support. I should pick up a 3000 and give it a shot. It doesn't have to look perfect, but currently component to my HDTV is a horrible blurry mess.

baphomet

Finally got this beauty in. I think I ordered it like 5 months ago. It's the Darksoft CPS2 Multi Kit. Runs all the CPS2 arcade boards.

Here's some super quick shots of it.

I should have adjusted the brightness a bit, but you get the idea.

catabarez

Finally added the LED to my SNES Mini. It looks pretty good actually, I just need to sand it down a little so it looks more flush.

I may want to add the digital audio mod to my SNES mini eventually, but until then I think that's everything!

Finally got this beauty in. I think I ordered it like 5 months ago. It's the Darksoft CPS2 Multi Kit. Runs all the CPS2 arcade boards.

that cool as heck

and the little lcd is cute

D.Lo

Now that is sweet. What are the outputs on your setup?

Timu

You have the Alien VS Predator PCB??? I'm jealous!!!

Ramune

Thanks for the PSP info, guys. I am not sure how it looks on a CRT because my PSP-2000 will only output a progressive signal, which my PVM doesn't support. I should pick up a 3000 and give it a shot. It doesn't have to look perfect, but currently component to my HDTV is a horrible blurry mess.

I took some shots of my PSP-3000 hooked up via component to my PVM using Interlaced almost exactly a year ago. Did NES emulation, Rockman X4, Twinbee collection to demonstrate TATE (doesn't control well due to being made for PSP), Metal Slug XX, Gurumin, God Eater 2 demo and Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. I have a better phone camera now, so I can probably take a bit better pics if you want. Let me know if there's anything in particular you want to see....

First things first.....

This how the XMB screen will look in general on the PVM.....
Also took one with Under Scan selected:

Now for some games, first up, Nestopia running JP Super Mario Bros. 2 (most likely 480i)

Rockman X4 (Disc rip; 240p)

Twinbee Portable (480i; Twinbee & Detana Twinbee in TATE)

God Eater 2 demo (480i)

Metal Slug XX (480i)

Gurumin (480i)

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (480i)

megamanfan1500

Neo Member
Quoting myself...

For the sake of completeness:

(*)
wobble1.gif

(**)
wobble.gif

Sorry for necrobumping this post, but I just wanted to take time to thank Missile for such a complete, well thought out response. Sorry I didn't respond back then (was really busy with school at the time) but I really do appreciate the incredible effort you put into answering my question. By the way, the problem persists with my wega, but it's something that I've just learned to live with, as I'm not tv savy in the least, and the thing is too darn big to take to any sort of repair shop (doesn't help that I live on the second floor....) Anyone else have this problem? Is it common? (EDIT: The problem my tv has is (*))

Khaz

Sorry for necrobumping this post, but I just wanted to take time to thank Missile for such a complete, well thought out response. Sorry I didn't respond back then (was really busy with school at the time) but I really do appreciate the incredible effort you put into answering my question. By the way, the problem persists with my wega, but it's something that I've just learned to live with, as I'm not tv savy in the least, and the thing is too darn big to take to any sort of repair shop (doesn't help that I live on the second floor....) Anyone else have this problem? Is it common? (EDIT: The problem my tv has is (*))

My Trinitron has a similar problem, the top first centimetre is shaky like the second gif. I didn't notice it when I got it as it was hidden as overscan before I tuned the picture. It doesn't always happen though.

But I have no idea how to test capacitors. I think it's not something that can be done with a simple multimeter, I suppose I'd need an oscilloscope or something like that.

Ooh, I just got mine in this week as well, I cant wait to hook it up. I just need to get a dead board ready. No way in hell am I going to kill my Vampire Savior board for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom