• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming James Bond game Project 007 is being described as "the ultimate spycraft fantasy"

Draugoth

Gold Member
h4PHGX2UggkCFD2qKra5KW-970-80.jpg.webp

Project 007, the upcoming James Bond game from Hitman developer IO Interactive, is "the ultimate spycraft fantasy," according to the studio's CEO.

In the latest issue of Edge (Issue 391), the magazine interviewed IO Interactive CEO Hakan Abran and discussed the studio's upcoming James Bond game. There's still a lot to find out about the mysterious title, it's still at least a few years away from release after all, but Abran did give us a little to work with for now.

The few other breadcrumbs we're able to pick up in the office suggest a tone closer to Daniel Craig than Roger Moore, and perhaps a more scripted experience than Hitman's freeform jaunts," the magazine reads, before referring to a quote from Abran. "It's been pitched as 'the ultimate spycraft fantasy,' which suggests gadgets - and perhaps a step away from the murderous objectives of Agent 47

For some reason I feel like the graphics will look exactly like Quantam of Solace haha.

Let's hope that it has a sick multiplayer.

phant0m

IO is one of the few developers I would trust to get this right.

Hitman is basically a Bond simulator as it is, and that style gameplay is far closer to movie Bond than the murdering dozens of bad guys with machine guns games we’ve gotten in the past (no matter how much we loved them).

Just take Hitman, add more gadgets, vehicles, and slightly less focus on lethality should be a winning formula.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hitman never clicked for me, but this team is clearly capable of pulling it off.

I get the sense that they'll be great at making scenes where Bond is wearing a suit and mingling with people. Not at all sure they can deliver on the combat, or dialogue yet. Cautiously optimistic.

I think this is an Xbox exclusive?

Edit: wait, that's Indiana Jones

Edit edit: No, Perfect Dark

Edit edit edit: Getting mixed up with Splinter Cell

Final edit: hell, I don't know.

You won't see a big IP like Bond as a platform exclusive in this day and age.

IO are incredible and they are the perfect devs to make a good bond game. Hope they stick to their roots and don't just make an average action game.

CGNoire

Yes now please remove the Bond feel from Hitman already and bring back the Dark FilmNoir Aesthetic the series was known for...... also Jesper Kyd.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Just take Hitman, add more gadgets, vehicles, and slightly less focus on lethality should be a winning formula.
On that point, we'll have to agree to disagree. Bond wasn't shy about unaliving people, and he'd often have a wisecrack about it.

Sorcerer

Wonder if there will be a tie in with whoever is up for the role next? I wonder if IO is privy to any info? A few years away is enough time for both projects to come together at the same time.

Last edited:
IO is one of the few developers I would trust to get this right.

Hitman is basically a Bond simulator as it is, and that style gameplay is far closer to movie Bond than the murdering dozens of bad guys with machine guns games we’ve gotten in the past (no matter how much we loved them).

I am not even sure what I actually want from a Bond game. I liked Goldeneye, Quantum of Solace and Bloodstone, nevertheless traditional Bond does not really migrate well into gaming, at most a QTE game where locations and a story would need to be core, but which many gamers don't consider proper games, the Craig ones maybe a bit more in shooty bang bang. Bourne is similar to that too, no idea how aggressive short burst action would really translate well into a game, I guess only Mission Impossible might work in my imagination. Less about fighting, but scout preparation missions prior to every heist with focus on stealth, hardly non stop action, and only in between some vehicle action or whatever.
But I guess Hitman guys and maybe Deus Ex guys would be the most qualified trying to not just slap a luring license on a game.

Roni

Gold Member
All they gotta do is take Hitman 3 and work from there. It would be difficult to fuck this up given what they already have and know to do.

Sorcerer

We didn't get AGENT from Rockstar.
Maybe this will be the substitution.
GTA is so huge for them they probably did not want to pull resources for anything else. The longevity of the last game is fascinating, there still making money hand over fist from the last game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As much as I’m looking forward to this i kinda wish it wasn’t a licensed Bond game and was an original spy IP instead

amigastar

GTA is so huge for them they probably did not want to pull resources for anything else. The longevity of the last game is fascinating, there still making money hand over fist from the last game.
Yeah, probably which sucks tbh because that means less games for us.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
The world of assassination trilogy are absolutely some of the best games ever made. Not an exaggeration. I am day 1 for whatever IOI puts out next, and the fact that it’s James Bond is just the ultimate icing on the cake.

phant0m

On that point, we'll have to agree to disagree. Bond wasn't shy about unaliving people, and he'd often have a wisecrack about it.

That’s fair, my point was more around the goal of EVERY Hitman mission out of the gate is to assassinate someone(s). Bond can have more variety in mission objectives — gather intel, stop the bomb, destroy something, etc.

Of course you’ll still unalive baddies along the way, it’s just not necessarily the “purpose” of embarking on every mission.

Kerotan

At least we'll get a bond game and if it needs the hitman model to succeed then so be it.

Crazy there was no bond game last generation especially when you consider they were huge on the ps2. I'm currently playing through all the ps3 era bonds which are basically 007 running on the old COD engine.

Completed quantum of solace. On the final level for GoldenEye Reloaded. And then I'll play bloodstone followed by 007 legends.

Puscifer

At least we'll get a bond game and if it needs the hitman model to succeed then so be it.

Crazy there was no bond game last generation especially when you consider they were huge on the ps2. I'm currently playing through all the ps3 era bonds which are basically 007 running on the old COD engine.

Completed quantum of solace. On the final level for GoldenEye Reloaded. And then I'll play bloodstone followed by 007 legends.
If you have a PS3 that's capable don't miss out on Everything or Nothing for PS2, that was a better send off for Pierce Brosnan than Die Another Day

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
It'll be interesting if they can redefine what a 007 game is. Goldeneye is of course the GOAT, TWINE 64 and Nightfire (console) were also very good.

Top Bottom