• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Up: Pedro Pascal confirmed to play Joel in HBO's adaptation of TLOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

I wish they casted complete nobodies, Ive already seen these two die brutal deaths at the hands of undead/soon-to-be-undead.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Of wow they should just rename the movie. “the whitest of us”
I bet all the zombies are minorities.

Wizz-Art

I see people reeeeee-ing hard with statements like racist and stuff but nobody is making a problem about factual black actors playing black characters, why would anyone with a grain of common sense!? It's almost like people go along with this idiocy because the media is pushing it extremely hard to normalize things that aren't actually normal, but say anything slightly otherwise and you got a stamp that you're racist or something, I fail to see the logic in that.

Explain to me why it's not problematic when a white person plays Mohammed Ali or a black person plays Roger Federer?

Or if people are being petty and say Joël is fictional then explain why it's not problematic when a black person plays Harry Potter and a white person plays Black Panther in your eyes, because that's practically what some people are saying.

Principal

I see people reeeeee-ing hard with statements like racist and stuff but nobody is making a problem about factual black actors playing black characters, why would anyone with a grain of common sense!? It's almost like people go along with this idiocy because the media is pushing it extremely hard to normalize things that aren't actually normal, but say anything slightly otherwise and you got a stamp that you're racist or something, I fail to see the logic in that.

Explain to me why it's not problematic when a white person plays Mohammed Ali or a black person plays Roger Federer?

Or if people are being petty and say Joël is fictional then explain why it's not problematic when a black person plays Harry Potter and a white person plays Black Panther in your eyes, because that's practically what some people are saying.
Okay let me explain why you can't have a real historical person played by another race, here we go: Because it doesn't make any sense.

Black Panter IS created around HIS RACE.

Peter Parker is NOT created around His RACE.

Harry Potter is created around HIS RACE.

Now if a white actor plays let's say Henry? Fine his character is not created around his race. There is a massive difference, unfortunately a lot of minority characters are created around their race rather than around their character.

Wizz-Art

Okay let me explain why you can't have a real historical person played by another race, here we go: Because it doesn't make any sense.

Black Panter IS created around HIS RACE.

Peter Parker is NOT created around His RACE.

Harry Potter is created around HIS RACE.

Now if a white actor plays let's say Henry? Fine his character is not created around his race. There is a massive difference, unfortunately a lot of minority characters are created around their race rather than around their character.
But isn't that taking it too far, if a character is black in the original media, be it written or filmed etc. then keep the character black by any means and vice versa. Annie from the musical in my mind will always be a curly head ginger, that it's a black kid in the remake, for me a reason not to watch the remake. Bridgerton is another example. I fail to mention something else as a white person playing an originally black character but maybe that's because it doesn't make sense.

Principal

But isn't that taking it too far, if a character is black in the original media, be it written or filmed etc. then keep the character black by any means and vice versa. Annie from the musical in my mind will always be a curly head ginger, that it's a black kid in the remake, for me a reason not to watch the remake. Bridgerton is another example. I fail to mention something else as a white person playing an originally black character but maybe that's because it doesn't make sense.
Not really, it all depends on the context of the story. IF the story is not about race, gender or have anything specifik that ties them to it I don't see why not? Same goes the other way around, a black character could easily be asian or white if there's no story reason that ties him/her to being black which unfortunately they tend to do because of marginalisation, that's the difference. It's honestly very sad that they do that because it kind of portrays that black characters are always going to directly tied to their skin color...

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5e82f004-5e17-11ea-b7c6-f147bdd17b5b.jpg

Wizz-Art

Not really, it all depends on the context of the story. IF the story is not about race, gender or have anything specifik that ties them to it I don't see why not? Same goes the other way around, a black character could easily be asian or white if there's no story reason that ties him/her to being black which unfortunately they tend to do because of marginalisation, that's the difference. It's honestly very sad that they do that because it kind of portrays that black characters are always going to directly tied to their skin color...
I understand what you're trying to say and agree with the fact that if it doesn't merrit importance for the story it shouldn't be a big problem. There still is the fact that in the OG material a person was depicted as a certain race and if you're familiar with that OG material such a change in race takes away from the story. I know to me it would and I believe I'm certainly not the only one.

NikuNashi

Correction - they assigned relevance to a trait that was, by-and-large, irrelevant to the character. It's not like Joel's skin color is as significant to the narrative and its themes as, say, Black Panther's is. Regardless of ethnicity, an amazing black actor would've been better than a mediocre white actor in my opinion, not to say that this current actor is or anything like that.

Hmm, so when there was uproar about white washing when Scarlett Johansson playing the lead in Ghost In The Shell you must have said that the 'trait' of being asian (Japanese) was irrelevant to the character and that it was a good decision to get a prolific talented white american actress to play the role rather than an average asian talent, I assume?

Principal

I understand what you're trying to say and agree with the fact that if it doesn't merrit importance for the story it shouldn't be a big problem. There still is the fact that in the OG material a person was depicted as a certain race and if you're familiar with that OG material such a change in race takes away from the story. I know to me it would and I believe I'm certainly not the only one.
It makes sense, but to dismiss it all together because of appearance is dumb no? (Don't judge a book by its cover and all) for all we know it could've fit better with the tone of the story or worse...

Hezekiah

Banned
This needs to stop, I'm sick and tired of media going for 'woke' points to please a vocal minority. White person plays white persons, with the exception of Robert Downy Jr. in Tropic Thunder. Black person plays black person with the exception of the Wayans bros. in White Chicks.

Easy, you don't like it, don't watch it.

You're bitching is more annoying than the woke betas on RetardEra.

Wizz-Art

It makes sense, but to dismiss it all together because of appearance is dumb no? (Don't judge a book by its cover and all) for all we know it could've fit better with the tone of the story or worse...
They say it is dumb, but it simply annoys me way too much and takes away from the movie or tv-show I wan't to see so I don't watch it if I know they've done something like this.

Now they went with Pedro Pascal instead, he may be latino but just like Cameron Diaz he can easily pass for a white person so to me that's better then casting Ali as Joël.

Kholinar

Banned
Hmm, so when there was uproar about white washing when Scarlett Johansson playing the lead in Ghost In The Shell you must have said that the 'trait' of being asian (Japanese) was irrelevant to the character and that it was a good decision to get a prolific talented white american actress to play the role rather than an average asian talent, I assume?
I don't even know anything about Ghost in the Shell to give a deeper answer, but it was a movie by the Japanese in a certain format created exclusively by the Japanese (anime), right? Conversely, The Last of Us was created by a kaleidoscope of people from differing cultures in a format that isn't intimately tied to any culture at all (video games). You could argue that Ghost in the Shell has significantly more cultural relevance to warrant a primarily asian cast than The Last of Us, which is not particularly tied to any culture.

Nice false equivalence, though.

Last edited:

Valentino

Am I missing something. He’s Latin right? Why are you all using the word “black” ........
Everyone’s talking about “my established character! MY ESTABLISHED CHARACTER!”
yeah Harry Potter had established green eyes but Daniel Radcliffe had green. Is this just another way to fuel the Druckman?

Handy Fake

I don't even know anything about Ghost in the Shell to give a deeper answer, but it was a movie by the Japanese in a certain format created exclusively by the Japanese (anime), right? Conversely, The Last of Us was created by a kaleidoscope of people from differing cultures in a format that isn't intimately tied to any culture at all (video games). You could argue that Ghost in the Shell has significantly more cultural relevance to warrant a primarily asian cast than The Last of Us, which is not particularly tied to any culture.

I agree with you on this subject.
I do think there are exceptions to this where the visual of the character is a large part of the iconism though. James Bond, for instance.
But on the whole yes, you're spot on.

Wizz-Art

Am I missing something. He’s Latin right? Why are you all using the word “black” ........
Everyone’s talking about “my established character! MY ESTABLISHED CHARACTER!”
yeah Harry Potter had established green eyes but Daniel Radcliffe had green. Is this just another way to fuel the Druckman?

Yeah, you were missing something. The original topic title had the rumour that Mahershala Ali was going to play Joël.

BabyYoda

Banned
The guys a bigot, calling 75+ Trump supporters Nazi's guaranteed his success I guess, considering how far left the entire entertainment industry has swung.

Principal

They say it is dumb, but it simply annoys me way too much and takes away from the movie or tv-show I wan't to see so I don't watch it if I know they've done something like this.

Now they went with Pedro Pascal instead, he may be latino but just like Cameron Diaz he can easily pass for a white person so to me that's better then casting Ali as Joël.
Why are you so hung up on skin man? Isn't it the STORY you are after? The feeling? The connection? Why are you so hung up on passing as White? Like dude, maybe.... just maybe you have something underlying because you keep swinging back to it lol.

engstra

To see it realised under a different medium where others not into the former medium can enjoy it.
As a massive fan of these games I want them to be faithful to the source material, and from that perspective the rumored Ali casting was a bit jarring. But I think this raises an important point, this show is intended to reach a new audience who have no existing perception of what any of the characters look like. I don't really care who they cast. As soon as they announced HBO and the creator of Chernobyl was making the show it told me that it will be dark and gritty with excellent writing. Feels like they're making excellent decisions so far and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Wizz-Art

Why are you so hung up on skin man? Isn't it the STORY you are after? The feeling? The connection? Why are you so hung up on passing as White? Like dude, maybe.... just maybe you have something underlying because you keep swinging back to it lol.
The same reason as you, common sense my man.

Principal

The same reason as you, common sense my man.
I am not though, I clearly said "It makes sense, but to dismiss it all together because of appearance is dumb no? (Don't judge a book by its cover and all) for all we know it could've fit better with the tone of the story or worse..." and you responded with "They say it is dumb, but it simply annoys me way too much and takes away from the movie or tv-show I wan't to see so I don't watch it if I know they've done something like this.

Now they went with Pedro Pascal instead, he may be latino but just like Cameron Diaz he can easily pass for a white person so to me that's better then casting Ali as Joël." Implying that if Joel wasn't white then you would dismiss the entire thing, which again shows mighty ignorance lol considering that you are so passionate about this game that you are 10 pages in defending a race of a fictional character...

mod edit: Seems sensible to continue this in the dedicated thread now one exists, so people don't wade through 8 pages of confusion https://www.neogaf.com/threads/pedr...hbo-series-based-on-video-game.1591076/unread

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargauth

So it's gonna be stripped down Mandalorian and instead of walking around with Yoda, he's gonna be walking around with Ellie.

good choice. As for Ellie’s casting…that’s not so great. Hey, Bella is a great actress so I’ll wait and see how she does.

unfortunately as long as that Druckmann character is involved I don’t hold any hope for this show. Sony should’ve kept him far away from it. I know it’s based on his game but just no. He’s not needed
Lol there would be no tlou without him he’s the reason the series is a success so you haters need to get over it. Like it’s his stories,characters,scenarios etc so why the hell wouldn’t he be involved which along with Craig Mazin is the best thing for the show to be a success

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Impressive mental gymnastics, I knew it would not be possible for you to endorse swapping a non white role to a white regardless of circumstance. The protagonist in Ghost In The Shell is a cyborg so ethnicity is irrelevant as a 'trait' by your initial point however you seem to have moved away from that now to the racial makeup of people involved in the production of the project (we go deeper and deeper down the race rabbit hole). Many different nationalities of people live in Japan and work collectively on projects (me being one of them). So an inacurate view you have there. Perhaps you need to give a percentage numerical value of different nationalities involved in the production of a project before it becomes eligible for a color swap.

Oh and anime is not exclusively set in Japan with Japanese characters. In the same way the Americans can make movies set in Wakanda, Japanese people also have an imagination and have protagonists that are non Japanese and live in foreign places, so your point is moot.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I feel that the casting for Pedro Pascal for the role of Joël is way better then the previous rumour that Mahershala Ali was considered for the role. If Joël was black in the games I would've applauded the choice for Ali as I find him a good actor, needles to say but common sense prevails.

BabyYoda

Banned
Ahhh the old classic hollywood switcheroo, announce someone black to then get a very positive reaction to Pascal
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice straight white men getting eradicated from all entertainment, slowly but surely. Add that to the disgusting way that conservative and Christian straight white males are being treated in media (social and mainstream) and it becomes clear that we are dealing with the most intolerant, divisive and discriminatory people the US has ever seen and people like that are running the government...Not for long ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom