• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Up: Pedro Pascal confirmed to play Joel in HBO's adaptation of TLOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyK

Untitled-design.png
Better fit
Wait for Pablo's beard and dramatic light. With those even my mom could fit the role.

Melubas

Great choice, I've been extremely impressed with him so far, especially in Narcos but also in GoT. He was pretty ok in the Mandalorian but I think that was more due to the writing (not saying it had bad writing but that type of adventure writing generally leaves less room for character in favor of having cool stuff happen).

aclar00

I know it's just a rumor and most likely won't happen.

But i do love the double standards of the people defending this.

If it was the other way around, the same people would sing a different song, probably on another forum.

and vice versa, except people would say "oh but they chose the best actor...who cares..." This would be said for actual non fictional characters.

sol_bad

This thread is quite incredible. It was started at 8:30am Sydney time and by 5:30pm Sydney it garnered 416 comments because apparently a black man was playing Joel. Come 5:30pm and it's revealed that Pedro was actually cast and there have only been 13 posts since.
It's 7:43pm Sydney time, 13 posts in just over 2 hours.

Do some people here really hate black people that much? Why is there no continued outrage over Pedro?

NikuNashi

I hope the people who were intimidated by the notion of a black man playing Joel are at ease now.
Intimidated? Strange choice of word. Did people say they were intimidated or are you just being melodramatic because people wanted the character to stay the same as the game.

Azurro

Banned
This thread is quite incredible. It was started at 8:30am Sydney time and by 5:30pm Sydney it garnered 416 comments because apparently a black man was playing Joel. Come 5:30pm and it's revealed that Pedro was actually cast and there have only been 13 posts since.

Do some people here really hate black people that much? Why is there no continued outrage over Pedro?

This is the problem with you woke people, just because you do something ridiculous it doesn't mean that we hate some race or gender, just that what you are proposing is ridiculous.

I gather that people have different schedules and go to sleep. I just found out about this, is Pedro Pascal supposed to play Joel? That's shit but I guess if they are really allergic to giving a role to a white man honor the original character design, at least Pascal is closer to it.

Jon Neu

Banned
I really don’t think this going for woke points.

The absolute state of the woke apologists.

It's like the people who constantly claimed there was nothing woke in TLOU2, literally contradicting and willfully ignoring the public words of it's creator.

Seems many care its a black dude.....which is dumb.

You're right, who is dumb enough to care about the source material being botched for political points?

I hope Idris Elba plays Ellie.

Wizz-Art

So imagine that the rumours were true and a black man gets to play Joël and people first see the tv-show and then play the games afterwards some of those people will start screaming 'whitewashing'.

Was night in my country, and I was sleeping

Now I just woke up, i'm reading Pedro Pascal will play Joel, and no, I will not watch the show either, I love him after Mando, but he's a terrible choice in my opinion for Joel

I tought the same for Henry Cavill who looked like a cheap cosplay, so it's not a color thing

It's aesthetical fidelity, some famous and established characters have a precise appearance and losing it break the immersion

Look at avengers game, 90% of the critics where about the missing mcu appearance

People just identify their favourite heroes with some well known aesthetical features, and I think film makers and such give too much importance to prestige, and no importance to resemblance of the actors with the characters in source materiale, should be a 50/50

Last edited:
The absolute state of the woke apologists.

It's like the people who constantly claimed there was nothing woke in TLOU2, literally contradicting and willfully ignoring the public words of it's creator.
What the fuck are you even crying about? Everything is woke that, woke this. SJWs are doing this, doing that. It must be so hard to live in this nightmare world. Does it ever get tiring using a catch-all term that you use to describe anything that triggers you?

There was nothing "woke" about hiring a highly praised actor for the role. I'm sorry if it would make the people you dislike happy. A role that the actor's race had nothing to do with the character. Pedro Pascal also isn't the same ethnicity as Joel. Are you gonna cry about that as well?

They should have hired Peter Dinklage for the role, it's a much better actor than Ali whatever. Also, Jim Parsons as Ellie.

To act in any role, you must look the part.
The part is a rough-looking and stern male with a certain intensity and an imposing ruggedness. I'm sorry you can't imagine Joel as a character beyond his skin color. Your analogy is complete shit. Ali whatever? Yeah, I feel bad about how triggered you were about a black dude playing the role.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
There was nothing "woke" about hiring a highly praised actor for the role. I'm sorry if it would make the people you dislike happy. A role that the actor's race had nothing to do with the character. Pedro Pascal also isn't the same ethnicity as Joel. Are you gonna cry about that as well?

Do you guys have a woke training center? You are trying to gaslight people here, saying there's nothing woke about hiring a non white person, and yet suggesting people are racists if they don't like it. Just admit that this is a woke move, a character's looks are incredibly important to how we relate to them, we are visual beings, no amount of women studies will change that fact about human nature.

Do you guys have a woke training center? You are trying to gaslight people here, saying there's nothing woke about hiring a non white person, and yet suggesting people are racists if they don't like it. Just admit that this is a woke move, a character's looks are incredibly important to how we relate to them, we are visual beings, no amount of women studies will change that fact about human nature.
You can’t relate to someone if they aren’t the same skin color as you?

It’s woke to hire non-white people?

Your logic is simply hiring any person who isn’t white for a character who was white is woke. Without any nuance or real thought behind it. That’s dumb.

So what you are telling me that if Joel was black in this version of the story you’d be completely unable to relate and understand the character. That his skin color was more important then the story beats of losing his daughter and then forging a new relationship with someone else through their shared experiences.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

This needs to stop, I'm sick and tired of media going for 'woke' points to please a vocal minority. White person plays white persons, with the exception of Robert Downy Jr. in Tropic Thunder. Black person plays black person with the exception of the Wayans bros. in White Chicks.

Last edited:

Principal

All I have to say is, there's a lot of ignorant thoughts spread out here, a lot of ignorant/borderline racist comments here, blacks and white don't speak the same way and etc, really crazy stuff out there. I know black people who speak like a "white guy" and vice versa. (Btw I'm a black guy) You'd be surprised how you get treated as an author being black, so yeah, please stop being idiotic.

Second, I didn't like the idea of Marshala as Joel but if the story calls for it then who are we to complain and bitch? Does RACE really play that big role in your entertainment? Do you have to WATCH it? No... Pedro is a latino playing a texan, does that destroy the story? No. So stop being children and grow up, none of this is REAL.

Principal

"It’s no big deal to race swap a white character"

Watch this same people lose their shit if it was tthe other way around.
Most black characters is CREATED AROUND THEIR RACE, white folks, not so much due to what's default. Now do I like when they swap races? No.

Kholinar

Banned
Intimidated? Strange choice of word. Did people say they were intimidated or are you just being melodramatic because people wanted the character to stay the same as the game.
Correction - they assigned relevance to a trait that was, by-and-large, irrelevant to the character. It's not like Joel's skin color is as significant to the narrative and its themes as, say, Black Panther's is. Regardless of ethnicity, an amazing black actor would've been better than a mediocre white actor in my opinion, not to say that this current actor is or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom