• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 22 Years Later: An LGR Retrospective

"I'm on fiiire" I remember so everything about this game and the others in the series. What fun times. I used to play this on dial up at home, and even put it on the schools server to play with everyone in other classes. Same with Halo. Great times those were.

Tschumi

This game was so intuitive that I quickly became a lifelong badass at UT based on skills I developed as an entirely inexperienced, like, 9 year old in this game.

I was firmly on the Unreal Tournament side of the UT vs. CS debate amongst my friends in those days.

AGRacing

Shoutout to the St. Clair college guys I used to play with when we all had IBM Pentium 3 laptops in 2001.

Needlecrash

One of the best games I've ever played. Loved Facing Worlds and The Peak Monastery so much. Flak Cannon Boyz!

2.5 years ago I went to comic con in Raleigh. I met and chatted with Cliff Blezenski while we're waiting for Chuck Pahluniks autograph. I thanked Cliff for Unreal Tournament and I was grateful for what he did. He was happy to still have fans and said he was so thankful and grateful for his fans.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Never got a better feeling fuck-you gun then the flak cannon from UT99

the game is currently 1,80 on cdkeys
It can be modded to support 21:9
And high res textures + raytracing.
Oh and.

it still has great Ai bots

Last edited:

JayK47

My first online shooter. I fell in love with it and the many mods that spawned from it. I played this game so much I skipped a gaming generation since I played this game for about 5 years straight and barely played anything else. When the servers started to dry up, I have been searching for something as good or better ever since. Nothing has come close.

BigLee74

My favourite gaming series of all time. The original UT was great, but I didn’t have good internet at the time, so it was all mainly against bots for me. Still put in so many hours. To this day, I’m sure the wife regrets buying it for me.

UT 2003/2004 is where it really kicked off for me. Made so many good gaming relationships that still stand to this day. In fact, I still play a few hours of UT4 alpha every week with 5 of them.

Great times, great memories.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Unreal Tournament is legendary. A cool and exciting gaming experience.

It's a game from an era where developers were in charge of creating the game and didn't have to deal with the influence of marketing, which was minimal to non-excistent.

You can really tell, Unreal Tournament is a game made by gamers for gamers - that's why it turned out so well.

The development team was free to make the game they wanted to make and materialize their vision. Many games from this era, which are still regarded as legendary games to this day, were created in the same way, like Thief, Diablo, Quake etc.

This freedom brought the market unique gaming experiences that were very different from each other. Unlike today, were it seems every newly developed high budget game needs to appeal to everyone/the lowest common denominator.

Variety was (and is) a blessing! Of course, this meant not all games were for everyone, but every unique gaming experience had the potential to be a real highlight to a specific group of people.

Unreal Tournament was definitely one of these highlights. I was never a huge PC gamer myself, but even I couldn't overlook the sheer awesomeness that Unreal Tournament was/is and enjoyed it a lot.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Reinstalled it during quarantine, it still holds up. Glad I got to experience it during its height, such a remarkable experience.Sad to think we're never going to get a game like this again.

To think their incredible engine is named Unreal and yet we may never see an Unreal Game or UT Remake. Absolutely travesty to gaming.

Was the map called face that was based on a rock in space with a tower at each end of the bridge? Many happy games on that map.

SkylineRKR

Game had a good feel, good performance on average hardware and right use of colors. I never had any issue spotting an enemy. Lots of free content came with it and was added later on. Game died kinda quickly though, there was still a core playerbase supporting it for years but I remember that after 6 months the initial player count dropped massively. I hated 2003 and since then never bothered with it anymore.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, this game was the real deal. The weapons felt heavy and powerful in a way few shooters have ever pulled off, the announcer voices when you got the big kills are extremely satsifying.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't mention modding (beyond mutators), fail. UT is essentially where Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs originated with Thievery, the multiplayer mod inspired by Thief pitting armed guards vs sneaky looting thieves. Among plenty others!

Ganted watching experts of decades play it looks way less atmospheric and methodical than it used to be, everyone's rushing everywhere, thieves hold their own in combat etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom