• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of New Hampshire Deems 12 Words Problematic;Advises Students Against Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Orientals, I obviously get but the others?

I will say that the word caucasian has always bothered me for some reason but that's just my own weirdness.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im seriously getting sick of this PC/soft crap that keeps getting pushed. You are not making a better world you are just making more fake people.

entremet

Sometimes universities are doing their students a disservice by being so out of touch.

The real world doesn't care about this stuff.

It reeks of an old guard that's been sheltered.

Beyond the clickbait nature of it, and the frankly silly alternatives they go to, it's really, really funny to watch a pretty mild, polite, and arguably misguided "guide" cause people to get really, really upset about the PC Police, cursing and ranting, etc. It's almost as if some people in this thread were triggered!

Beyond the clickbait nature of it, and the frankly silly alternatives they go to, it's really, really funny to watch a pretty mild, polite, and arguably misguided "guide" cause people to get really, really upset about the PC Police, cursing and ranting, etc. It's almost as if some people in this thread were triggered!

and here comes the cavalry

if people on this thread asked what kind of people can write these things with a straight face,you have one of them

Please tell me this was put together for some kind of parody.

Person of material wealth instead of rich. People of size. Non-disabled. American. International people.

Since when are people from Northern Africa not Arab anymore.

Is homosexual offensive now.

Guys and girls is problematic.

I need a new dictionary to keep up.

The message I'm seeing from the article is to be mindful of the usage of words. Like, Arab is pretty widely used to describe non-Arabic people, and some people in the LGBT community don't like the use of the word homosexual to describe a person, like "a homosexual person".

and here comes the cavalry

To point out how mad people got, yes lol

Please, don't let yourself lose your cool.

PBalfredo

A lot of this is real dumb but fuck this in particular

Preferred: U.S. citizen or Resident of the U.S.
Problematic: American
Note: North Americans often use “American” which usually, depending on the context, fails to recognize South America

Fuck that. I'm an American. America is America. South America is South America, not south America. Same way West Virginia is not Virginia.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
carlinstone2.jpg

ohh dont worry son,im not gonna get into any of your crazy and sterile fights here..just joking aside

continue with your righteous crusade

What crusade? I found the guide silly and had a laugh at all of the people who got really upset by it.

When in doubt make your point about how upset people are

When in doubt of what? I'm fairly close to the same line of thinking on the guide as many people who are opposed to it, I just understand how to look at this kind of thing without losing my cool

Can't wait to go the local Health and Fitness club. Oh, I'm sorry – I meant the local Non-Disablement and Minimized Body Fat club. Oh, I'm sorry – I meant the geographically-favorable Functioning Body and Kilocalorie-Uninhibited financially-taxing congregation.

Oh, I'm sorry – the English language is exclusionary to those who can't speak it. Let's just yell random vowel sounds until we each get our general point across. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lol

The message I'm seeing from the article is to be mindful of the usage of words. Like, Arab is pretty widely used to describe non-Arabic people, and some people in the LGBT community don't like the use of the word homosexual to describe a person, like "a homosexual person".
Sure, but that is just being a normal person. Almost none of the words are actually offensive when used for what they are intended.

People from Northern Africa are Arab. That's just a fact. I don't get the point of calling them any different if used in the right context.

He is homosexual. He is gay. Both are accurate and in no way offensive.

Sure, but that is just being a normal person. Almost none of the words are actually offensive when used for what they are intended.

People from Northern Africa are Arab. That's just a fact. I don't get the point of calling them any different if used in the right context.

He is homosexual. He is gay. Both are accurate and in no way offensive.

The issue with "homosexual" is both in that it can often be used in a derogatory way (though so can gay), and it has kind of a "taxologist" feel to it, kind of like calling someone a "female." It's technically accurate to use it as a noun, but unless you're doing court reports or are into entymology, you generally shouldn't use it in that way

Reading OP triggered me. Gotta take a break from this forum for a while. I can't deal with scumbags saying/writing those words.

Careful with your problematic words, you shitlord

Riposte

I don't think anyone is "very, very upset". Not here, anyway. I think almost everyone is laughing at it to varying extents though. Maybe bewildered. Anyone guessing you are trying to softly defend this, by redirecting the mockery away from it and towards those laughing at it, would probably be right.

Some make sense, others don't. It's a fairly scatterbrained list.

To point out how mad people got, yes lol

Please, don't let yourself lose your cool.

Just because you have good intentions doesn't really justify coming into a thread and going LOL SALT U MAD SO SALTY, as it's obviously just going to piss people off and derail

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think anyone is "very, very upset". Not here, anyway. I think almost everyone is laughing at it to varying extents though. Maybe bewildered. Anyone guessing you are trying to softly defend this, by redirecting the mockery away from it and towards those laughing at it, would probably be right.

Sounds about right.

Riposte, if your desire is to assume I'm standing in defense of this, feel free. People shouldn't be told that they cannot be wrong.

(that said, there are some problematic words mentioned and it's understandable why some of the words were listed as being problematic, but the alternatives to these words are super clumsy)

Just because you have good intentions doesn't really justify coming into a thread and going LOL SALT U MAD SO SALTY, as it's obviously just going to piss people off and derail

It's a perfectly valid response to this kind of thread direction - pointing out how people are getting "salty" about something that's so minor and insignificant. It's basically the same deal as the Killing Joke thread - the campaign and criticism was virtually nonexistent relative to how loud and angry the people who found the criticism incorrect or stupid were. That Killing Joke thread was an explosion of disingenuous posts by people acting as though Tumblr users or excessively PC people were doing anything, but then it was pointed out that for all of the talk of the effects of The Killing Joke's critics, almost everyone in the thread was in defense of the comic book. So in this thread, it's a response to an inaccurate OP (due to the inaccurate reporting of the source), and people coming into the thread angrily discussing "triggering" and "problematic words" and "political correctness."

The way people are reacting to this, it's almost as if the not-guide was being imposed as an absolute rule and was actually, legitimately policing speech.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Microaggressions? Guess I'm just getting old. In my day a "microaggression" was flipping somebody the bird. Probably get jail time for that now.

marrec

Banned
Microaggressions? Guess I'm just getting old. In my day a "microaggression" was flipping somebody the bird. Probably get jail time for that now.

It's just a quick, effective way to describe slights based an assumption or bias about a person's identity whether intentional or unintentional. Quicker just to say "micro-aggression" and it's a great word because it brings to mind such a small thing. However these small things can build up to a big psychological burden if it happens multiple times a day.

Of course, multiple things that people describe as "microaggressions" are really just what other people would call "harsh realities".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom