• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of New Hampshire Deems 12 Words Problematic;Advises Students Against Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

FartOfWar

Banned
Every day I survive these terrible pico-aggressions
tumblr_nbus3w6SK61s71q1zo1_r1_1280.png

My mind fails to process how "oriental" can be a problematic word.

It is and it isn't. It was used like 40-50 years ago as a derogatory term for all Far East Asians. If you are using it to refer to the specific area of Asia known as the Orient then its perfectly fine.

dramatis

I would think 'fat' would come before 'obese' or 'overweight'...

Anyways, these words are lightweight. But I suppose teenagers trigger a lot easier than adults...

Came in expecting to see something like negroes or retarded on that list. Who even says most of these words when talking to people? I've never called an Asian person "Oriental".

Azuran

Banned
I would think 'fat' would come before 'obese' or 'overweight'...

Anyways, these words are lightweight. But I suppose teenagers trigger a lot easier than adults...

Fat probably got saved from eternal doom just for being a scientific word.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

mre

Came in expecting to see something like negroes or retarded on that list. Who even says most of these words when talking to people? I've never called an Asian person "Oriental".
Those were on there:
Preferred: Black or African American
Problematic: negro, negroid, colored person, dark

Preferred: person who is learning disabled, person who has a cognitive disability, person with a learning or cognitive disability, persons
with intellectual and developmental disability
Problematic: retarded, slow, brain-damaged, special education student

gutshot

Here's why fat didn't make the list.

Note: “Fat”, a historically derogatory term, is increasingly being reclaimed by people of size and their allies, yet for some, it is a term that comes from pain.

It is being reclaimed by "people of size and their allies". Their allies!

The word "problematic" has exploded in popularity over the past 2-3 years.

It's a weasel word for calling something racist, sexist, transexist, etc. in a muted, "acceptable" way. It's great because to accuse something of being racist or sexist is something people might reasonably scrutinize, whereas "problematic" lies in a nebulous area where weak arguments can have more leeway.

Nachos

Can't wait to go the local Health and Fitness club. Oh, I'm sorry – I meant the local Non-Disablement and Minimized Body Fat club. Oh, I'm sorry – I meant the geographically-favorable Functioning Body and Kilocalorie-Uninhibited financially-taxing congregation.

Oh, I'm sorry – the English language is exclusionary to those who can't speak it. Let's just yell random vowel sounds until we each get our general point across. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mre

Look at that. Y'all need to get as progressive in the rest of the country as we here in the South have been for centuries.
Glossary of Language
Preferred: Folks, People, You All, Y’all
Problematic/Outdated: Guys (when referring to people overall)

213372bu

Banned
Stupid clickbait article? Stupid clickbait article.

Clickbait or not this was legit.

I was even going to put up Washington Post or NYmag but I decided this was the least clickbait article of them all.

Edit: Tried to clean up the title of the OP too :\ , personally hate clickbait.

Monocle

How about instead of wasting time with 5-dollar euphemisms people just say what they mean?

I bet the authors of that guide are the kind of jerks that say "utilize" when "use" will do.

Pardon me, but I think you meant "differently gifted."

Yeah, it's becoming a challenged term because it's gendered.
I think it's disgusting that you would casually drop a charged word like "challenged." What if a specially abled person read that?

Riposte

This is all around pretty funny stuff.

Preferred: people of size
Problematic/Outdated: obese*, overweight people
“Obese” is the medicalization of size, and “overweight” is arbitrary; for example, standards differ from one culture to another.
Note: “Fat”, a historically derogatory term, is increasingly being reclaimed by people of size and their allies, yet for some, it is a term that comes from pain.

People of SIZE.

marrec

Banned
It's a weasel word for calling something racist, sexist, transexist, etc. in a muted, "acceptable" way. It's great because to accuse something of being racist or sexist is something people might reasonably scrutinize, whereas "problematic" lies in a nebulous area where weak arguments can have more leeway.

I think when used appropriately "problematic" can be a way to describe a complicated issue that isn't just overtly offensive. Unfortunately it's become extremely misused and overused in the last few years as everyone on tumblr finds new ways that you and I are being "problematic".

As an academic resource, this is actually great reading for understanding problematic language and it's useage.

As a practical guide to interacting with other people though, this is ridiculous.

mre

Alright this has to be satire.
I think the writers of this guide just had their heads so far up their asses they didn't realize that Poe's Law'd themselves. I mean:

Preferred: people of advanced age, old people*
Problematic/Outdated: older people, elders, seniors, senior citizen
*Old people has been reclaimed by some older activists who believe the standard wording of old people lacks the stigma of the term “advanced age”. Old people also halts the euphemizing of age. Euphemizing automatically positions age as a negative.

Preferred: person who lacks advantages that others have, low economic status related to a person’s education, occupation and income
Problematic: poor person, person from the ghetto
Note: Some people choose to live a life that is not connected to the consumer world of material possessions. They do not identify as “poor”.

Preferred: person living at or below the poverty line, people experiencing poverty
Problematic/Outdated: poor person, poverty-stricken person

Preferred: person-experiencing homelessness
Problematic/Outdated: the homeless, which reduces the person to being defined by their housing rather than as a person first - one who does not have a home

Fury451

Banned
I think when used appropriately "problematic" can be a way to describe a complicated issue that isn't just overtly offensive. Unfortunately it's become extremely misused and overused in the last few years as everyone on tumblr finds new ways that you and I are being "problematic".

This is a very succinct explanation of how problematic the misuse of "Problematic" has become. It seems hijacking and misusing words until they start to lose all original meaning is becoming a common issue in our current society.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmm, sounds problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom