• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
News of stock market crash just made it to the CEO:

C9J2PnhUQAAzFls.jpg

Lol maybe if this had been your first response, "Oscar", it would have actually meant something.

It's pretty obvious that United decided the flight was 'overbooked' after everyone was checked in and already boarded. Telling someone they have to leave their seat is a confrontational scenario, on a flight or otherwise. United undoubtedly created this situation.

Looks like my thought that this flight was not "overbooked" was right.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/united-ai...t-sparked-uproar-was-not-overbooked/430462758

United Airlines now says flight that sparked uproar was not overbooked

The United Airlines flight that drew worldwide attention after a passenger was dragged from his seat and off the plane was not overbooked, the airline said Tuesday.

United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said the flight was sold out — but not oversold. Instead, United and regional affiliate Republic Airlines – the unit that operated Flight 3411 – decided they had to remove four passengers from the flight to accommodate crewmembers who were needed in Louisville the next day for a ”downline connection."

"They were considered 'must-ride' passengers," Guerin told USA TODAY.

Combine that with the CEO's latest statement and someone bout to get paaaaaid

It's pretty obvious that United decided the flight was 'overbooked' after everyone was checked in and already boarded. Telling someone they have to leave their seat is a confrontational scenario, on a flight or otherwise. United undoubtedly created this situation.

What is really baffling to me is that the CEO had these facts before he made the statements in the first place. This entire disaster escalated to 11 just because he decided to ignore the base facts before sending out statements.

DMczaf

My local Las Vegas Fox affiliate posted the victim shaming shit on their Facebook page and the commments section is filled with everyone calling them out on that bullshit.

Good to see no one is falling for it

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Nobody should be treated this way, even though 24 hours ago it seemed like I was saying because he was belligerent he deserved to be treated this way, help, how do i delete internet"

hatchx

Banned
I hope the doctor gets a nice settlement.

Disgusting on behalf of united and the authorities involved. Absolutely disgusting.

Must be pretty embarrassing to be an United employee right now.

Can't believe the smear campaign is working.

I don't think it's the smear campaign. Traders just see a low price and think there's money to be made. They don't care that it belongs to a scummy company.

kmax

News of stock market crash just made it to the CEO:

C9J2PnhUQAAzFls.jpg

Had you done the right thing right from the beginning, this situation would not have happened. Instead, you opted to victim blame and absolve yourselves from any blame.

Now you have destroyed your reputation, lost a ton of customers and shareholders and royally fucked up your business.

elcFneI.gif

I'm enjoying your downfall as much as the next guy. Burn.

I hope the doctor gets a nice settlement.

Disgusting on behalf of united and the authorities involved. Absolutely disgusting.

With UA and the Police both basically admitting fault in public statements, I have to believe he's going to get an absolutely huge settlement.

I don't think it's the smear campaign. Traders just see a low price and think there's money to be made. They don't care that it belongs to a scummy company.

Yeah they were doing this Monday morning too, since the incident happened on Sunday night. I don't think people should care too much about the stock price, it's just money, stockholders don't care about the morality of anything, it's just business.

Should this have a lasting effect and United's profits actually go down in the long term, then we'll see the stock prices really go down. Realistically though, I doubt it'll happen. United has done countless shitty things, and they've always bounced back because to travelers, cost is king.

pigeon

Banned
Must be pretty embarrassing to be an United employee right now.

Well, to be specific, they think that United won't lose value in the long term because of this scandal. Either they think that they will figure out they fucked up really bad and fix it (as this statement shows they are trying to do), or that people will forget about it and go back to flying United, so either way they won't actually be less successful over time.

Lagamorph

Looks like my thought that this flight was not "overbooked" was right.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/united-ai...t-sparked-uproar-was-not-overbooked/430462758

Combine that with the CEO's latest statement and someone bout to get paaaaaid
We already knew that.
If a flight is overbooked they don't let everyone get on board and then ask people to get off. Nobody boards until enough people have given up seats, or the people who check in last just don't get a seat at all.
You also can't claim overbooking whilst also admitting that you need 4 seats to get staff to another location.

I really fucking detest how the media functions at times like this. It happens after Police shootings as well. It basically goes like this.

Critical incident occurs.
Knowing full well the world will see this, they shift the focus of the incident to the past of individual who was the target.
They try to use ANYTHING to make the individual look like they aren't innocent.
They try to create the concept that the individual, in a way, got what was coming to them.
All of this is done even though the events that transpired have NOTHING to do with the past of the individual.

Really pisses me off.

We already knew that.
If a flight is overbooked they don't let everyone get on board and then ask people to get off. Nobody boards until enough people have given up seats, or the people who check in last just don't get a seat at all.
You also can't claim overbooking whilst also admitting that you need 4 seats to get staff to another location.

Yeah, which is why I don't really get why there was the ex-Delta employee who was posting earlier who said they did this all the time. It makes no sense. If you're overbooked, you literally can't just have everyone go on the plane because there wouldn't be enough seats - you'd have to resolve it before boarding.

If the flight is overbooked, my ticket does not even have a reserved seat number until it's confirmed that I have an actual seat.

Lisa Fletchers smear campaign looks really dumb in the face of the CEO statement

But hey lets keep digging guys. There is a story here goddamnit

Kadin

Sorry if this has been posted already but this was a pretty interesting article to read from an aviation lawyer who himself had sued (successfully) an airline for not properly following the rules for bumping him and his family off a flight years ago.

When my then 13-year-old daughter and I, heading to Colorado for a ski trip, were bumped by an airline in 2004, we sued. The airline had failed to pay us the right amount of money and had not given us written instructions. We lost our hotel deposit and we didn't get our luggage back for four days. We won the case -- and $3,100 from Continental Airlines -- and I was on every major TV network.

Ever since 9/11, flight crews and cabin crews have been relatively insistent that passengers follow the rules. This is not hard to understand, given that many employees at American and United knew people who were working the day of the terrorist attacks and who lost their lives in New York or in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Airplanes are not cars and offer many risks that buses, trains and automobiles just cannot match: Altitude, weather and clear air turbulence, to name a few.

For that reason, the US pilots and cabin crews particularly are extremely well trained and will save your life in an instant when a problem develops. But in order to maintain safety in a metal tube with only one or two alleyways, the cabin crew needs your cooperation.

If you become unruly, they can throw you off in an instant. Without recourse. If you refuse to follow a crew member's instructions, they can throw you off and send you to jail.

Anybody who thinks they can make a ruckus on a US airplane and get away with it is seriously mistaken. I see this every day in my law practice. On the other hand, sometimes the airlines go too far and can be held responsible.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/opini...a-flight-then-i-sued-opinion-stone/index.html

TheGrizz

So I'm not sure if this was brought up yet; but what was the reaction of the UA employee who took his seat after he was dragged out? I mean, how awkward would it be to take the seat of a man who was forcibly bloodied and removed from his seat?

"Umm yeah, thannkkssss for the seat." I mean, WTF.

Tagyhag

I really fucking detest how the media functions at times like this. It happens after Police shootings as well. It basically goes like this.

Critical incident occurs.
Knowing full well the world will see this, they shift the focus of the incident to the past of individual who was the target.
They try to use ANYTHING to make the individual look like they aren't innocent.
They try to create the concept that the individual, in a way, got what was coming to them.
All of this is done even though the events that transpired have NOTHING to do with the past of the individual.

Really pisses me off.

I am curious as to why it happens. Either they want to keep the story going with as much info as they can, or they're paid off, or both.

Lisa Fletchers smear campaign looks really dumb in the face of the CEO statement

But hey lets keep digging guys. There is a story here goddamnit

Shut your mouth. Lisa Fletcher is going to blow the lid off of this incident that happened on a plane full of witnesses holding cameras.

So I'm not sure if this was brought up yet; but what was the reaction of the UA employee who took his seat after he was dragged out? I mean, how awkward would it be to take the seat of a man who was forcibly bloodied and removed from his seat?

"Umm yeah, thannkkssss for the seat." I mean, WTF.

The employee complained because the TV on their seat was broken.

I am curious as to why it happens. Either they want to keep the story going with as much info as they can, or they're paid off, or both.

There's also just a human tendency to dig more and more into a person because it's just fun. Sadly, reporters should know better and stop after a certain point and realize none of those details matter to the case at hand. Reminds me of all the stuff like "people have the right to know!"

We already knew that.

Considering overbooking was the excuse given by United as to why this happened in the first place, I would argue that we didn't know that, and I find it interesting that they are backing away from that.

Truly pathetic. I think she should start by asking "What does it have to do with the events that occurred on the plane?"

If the answer is "Fuck all", she should then be asking what she hopes to illuminate.

Pretty much. The guy needs to be looked into to see if he has any recent runins with the law or courts that might have impacted his mental state at the time of the altercation, but all of this revealed thus far is quite old and has a low probative value. The real media need to behave more professionally and not run that garbage just to get views and clicks.

Flo_Evans

Yeah, which is why I don't really get why there was the ex-Delta employee who was posting earlier who said they did this all the time. It makes no sense. If you're overbooked, you literally can't just have everyone go on the plane because there wouldn't be enough seats - you'd have to resolve it before boarding.

If the flight is overbooked, my ticket does not even have a reserved seat number until it's confirmed that I have an actual seat.

Im not sure if this is true or conjecture but someone said the 4 crew members came up to the gate and said they needed to get on the flight after the plane was mostly boarded.

United considers its crew essential members (must fly status) so in effect there are 4 less passenger seats on the plane.

norm9

Im not sure if this is true or conjecture but someone said the 4 crew members came up to the gate and said they needed to get on the flight after the plane was mostly boarded.

United considers its crew essential members (must fly status) so in effect there are 4 less passenger seats on the plane.

Those fuckers should know to be at the gate two hours beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom