• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

ABC 7 News are digging in hard into... victim.

RHUXouC.png

https://twitter.com/lisa_fletch/status/851833560583610368

smh

RRockman

Banned
So I heard that he needed to get home to participate in a surgery? Was he able to get back in time or was that some rumor?

United disgusts me either way honestly but I need to know what happened.

Some of GAF faves sliding into her mentions.

Patrick Klepek‏Verified account @patrickklepek 56m56 minutes ago
Replying to @lisa_fletch @ABC7News

why does anyone give a shit about this man's past

If any airline asked me to vacate my seat (which they have every right to do) then I would leave the plane and take my voucher for the next flight and move on with my day. Fighting with the airline staff, or even worse fighting with security guards is never going to help the situation.
Sigh

If any airline asked me to vacate my seat (which they have every right to do) then I would leave the plane and take my voucher for the next flight and move on with my day. Fighting with the airline staff, or even worse fighting with security guards is never going to help the situation.

Airports are a petri dish for bowing to authority.

TyrantII

So, anyone know Lisa Fletcher in college?

Let's dig into the life of the reporter on the United story. We can report, you decide if she's legitimate.

/That's not reporting

Hale-XF11

So, anyone know Lisa Fletcher in college?

Let's dig into the life of the reporter on the United story. We can report, you decide if she's legitimate.

/That's not reporting

I'd also be curious to know how much, if any, advertising United does with ABC.

I'm glad that for once, after fucking decades of trying to make the issue into a known thing, there's an actual pushback at shitty journalists blaming and shaming (usually minority) victims.

Eidan

I'm glad that for once, after fucking decades of trying to make the issue into a known thing, there's an actual pushback at shitty journalists blaming and shaming (usually minority) victims.

Seriously. I previously thought this kind of victim blaming was reserved for the realm of those who like to look the other way when facing police violence. But going to bat for a goddamn AIRLINE?

The blame and shame game that current media is doing and have been doing for as long as I have been alive is actually disgusting and what makes it worse is that it is disguised as "investigating both sides"

I would love to see this investigative journalist that had time to post a pic of her investigations also look at airlines in general and their practices on overbooking. But there is not story there as there is no blood, drugs or intrigue.

His troubled past doesn't justify the actions from United.

His past don't just not justify the actions, they aren't even remotely related to the entire United situation.

I hope someone investigates into the "investigative journalist's" past. It equally has nothing to do with her story, but hey both sides!

Koomaster

I still think the best part of the story is when a passenger suggested she would give up her seat for some reasonable amount in vouchers and the manager laughed in her face.
Have to agree with this as well someone volunteered for $1600 in vouchers and they thought it would be better to rough up and forcibly drag a passenger off the plane instead. All to save a few hundred dollars over what they were already offering. That's how much their customer's lives are worth to them.

His past don't just not justify the actions, they aren't even remotely related to the entire United situation.

This is exactly why I hate what is happening right now. I flipped my shit when MSNBC made that statement while I was driving today. There is no reason whatsoever in any realistic way to even tie this mans past actions to this current situation.

The only reason to bring up a persons past actions would be if they were directly connected to what is currently happening. Such as a history of starting shit with airlines in general for settlements.

Brinbe

This pushback against these shitty, obvious United-led efforts to smear this victim is pretty heartening. Maybe people are finally smartening up and seeing it for what it is.

Hopefully, they'll remember this next time some poor minority is needlessly victimized by authority

This is exactly why I hate what is happening right now. I flipped my shit when MSNBC made that statement while I was driving today. There is no reason whatsoever in any realistic way to even tie this mans past actions to this current situation.

The only reason to bring up a persons past actions would be if they were directly connected to what is currently happening. Such as a history of starting shit with airlines in general for settlements.

Yeah exactly.

Like hypothetically, had this been some accusation against United where only the victim was there and reporters had found that he had a history of making false accusations against big corporations, THAT would be a situation where this kind of "investigative journalism" is warranted.

What many of the press are doing is complete bullshit. No integrity whatsoever. I feel like fucking Trump saying this shit, but it's actually true this time.

norm9

There's always more to a story.
no there isn't.

Glad these journalists getting dragged. And for the most part, most people seem to be on the old man's side. Not all, but a comfrotable amount.

Mimosa97

Please start quoting this comment from reddit everytime someone in this thread says that United did nothing wrong and that the victim should have complied and left the plane. Thank you .

Lawyer here. This myth that passengers don't have rights needs to go away, ASAP. You are dead wrong when saying that United legally kicked him off the plane.

First of all, it's airline spin to call this an overbooking. The statutory provision granting them the ability to deny boarding is about "OVERSALES", specifically defines as booking more reserved confirmed seats than there are available. This is not what happened. They did not overbook the flight; they had a fully booked flight, and not only did everyone already have a reserved confirmed seat, they were all sitting in them. The law allowing them to denying boarding in the event of an oversale does not apply.

Even if it did apply, the law is unambiguously clear that airlines have to give preference to everyone with reserved confirmed seats when choosing to involuntarily deny boarding. They have to always choose the solution that will affect the least amount of reserved confirmed seats. This rule is straightforward, and United makes very clear in their own contract of carriage that employees of their own or of other carriers may be denied boarding without compensation because they do not have reserved confirmed seats. On its face, it's clear that what they did was illegal-- they gave preference to their employees over people who had reserved confirmed seats, in violation of 14 CFR 250.2a.

Furthermore, even if you try and twist this into a legal application of 250.2a and say that United had the right to deny him boarding in the event of an overbooking; they did NOT have the right to kick him off the plane. Their contract of carriage highlights there is a complete difference in rights after you've boarded and sat on the plane, and Rule 21 goes over the specific scenarios where you could get kicked off. NONE of them apply here. He did absolutely nothing wrong and shouldn't have been targeted. He's going to leave with a hefty settlement after this fiasco.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Have to agree with this as well someone volunteered for $1600 in vouchers and they thought it would be better to rough up and forcibly drag a passenger off the plane instead. All to save a few hundred dollars over what they were already offering. That's how much their customer's lives are worth to them.

Try to save a few hundred dollars, lose close to a billion in market cap. What a bargain!

Tovarisc

Very relevant to the situation at hand. He's a working doctor after all so he's surely done some screwed up things in the past.

Very relevant how? His profession has very little if nothing to do with how he was handled. Also if he works as certified doctor then he has been okay'd by state (or feds? I'm not from US) then there is nothing to see there either.

Everyone has past.

Ekdrm2d1

Very relevant how? His profession has very little if nothing to do with how he was handled. Also if he works as certified doctor then he has been okay'd by state (or feds? I'm not from US) then there is nothing to see there either.

Everyone has past.

OP's phrasing error?

Tweet deleted.

fZ3FwrL.png

Twitter is not a right it is a responsibility. I wish people would actually realize that. If I was her employer I would be flipping out right about now. I would let her investigate but as soon as she decided to take this to social media she would be off the assignment.

Investigative journalism does not require nor should it in any shape ever be advertised or talked about on twitter by the people doing the investigating. If other people want to talk about the piece on twitter that is one thing but what she did was so far over the freaking line it is disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom