• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the demo, saw this thread on Twitter on the English localization for UO.
There's some fowl play here, like how one characters dialogue is turned into bird puns.

It's easy to hear the JP script is kind of unimpressive and bland. They really, really tried to add more writing and character to the English script. It's basically OG Final Fantasy Tactics style of localization.

Reactions: Isa
Put about 4 hours in the demo so far, and I too will probably start over fresh. Some of the mechanics are unfamiliar to me but I'm getting the hang of it. I must have fallen asleep when that girl got kidnapped. lol

Unicorn Overlord Countdown Commemorative Art - 10 days

Art by: Vanillaware and 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim Character Designer Yukiko Hirai

GG3Aq6-aQAAhsqX

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The writing in this is terrible. The story is fine, but the writing, where someone didn't get the memo to relax and stop putting in mixed-metaphors and overwrought "Ye Olde English" style of writing. Like, the story itself is fine - you've seen it before and will see it again - but it's the actual words put to paper that is a turn-off. Thankfully you can skip all that and get into the gameplay itself, which so far, has been quite excellent. I doubt this game will be a daily driver, but it for sure is going to get some mileage on a few upcoming trips.

. . .that localization though (which is so odd given how good 13 SENTINELS was).

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Anyone else pre-order the mega edition that comes with the card game? I found a translated preview that wasn't exactly positive sounding. Still hoping for the best with it since I like deck building games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anyone else pre-order the mega edition that comes with the card game? I found a translated preview that wasn't exactly positive sounding. Still hoping for the best with it since I like deck building games.
My local game store didn't sell collectors edition, unfortunately I had to settle with regular version.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They literally give you 8 full hours to do whatever you want, that's pretty high confidence in the product they are offering

The demo sold me on the game, I put my preorder in after finishing my 8 hours LMAO
Vanillaware knows what they have and they have damn good reason to be confident about it.

Last edited:
I deleted my first demo play session and started over because I made a bunch of dumb mistakes. Roaring through the second attempt though. Glad the timer resets. Gonna put in work and carry it over to the game.

• Strength

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They literally give you 8 full hours to do whatever you want, that's pretty high confidence in the product they are offering

The demo sold me on the game, I put my preorder in after finishing my 8 hours LMAO
Same boat. I did the exact same thing.
Really hope the demo isn't like half the game, I want this to be a long one
The world map is much much larger than what you get to see in the demo. I would expect you get to liberate the entire overworld.

Renoir

man.. I’m scared this game does bad sales. Final fantasy is right around the corner. I bought the collectors .
playimg the demo was a blast.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
man.. I’m scared this game does bad sales. Final fantasy is right around the corner. I bought the collectors .
It seems usually at Vanilla they’re happy if they sell initially 250/400k copie and up until 1ml. Plus their games are for a very specific niche so I don’t think that audience will skip it for Rebirth or anything else. They have their guaranteed crowd since Odins Sphere anyway…

Shouta

It's easy to hear the JP script is kind of unimpressive and bland. They really, really tried to add more writing and character to the English script. It's basically OG Final Fantasy Tactics style of localization.
Vagrant Story is the one that started it, as I recall, since the OG Tactics localization is overall only passable. It was the PSP version that got the big translation upgrade.

I checked out the Unicorn Overlord screenshots and most of them seem fine between the Japanese and English text. In fact, the Japanese text is pretty basic and a little bland like you say. The English versions have all the intended meeting and read with a bit more personality and has a style that's pretty appropriate to the setting.

It could probably be dialed back just a little bit in a few spots but it's pretty great from what I saw.

Last edited:

Hudo

Vagrant Story is the one that started it, as I recall, since the OG Tactics localization is overall only passable. It was the PSP version that got the big translation upgrade.
Yep. OG FF Tactics was still more of a direct/simple translation. Vagrant Story was where Alexander O. Smith started to helm the translations (in particular of Matsuno's games). WotL was, afaik, helmed by Joe Reeder. Both are into more "flowery" prose akin to Shakespeare. Which I also am into.

Some people hate it. But these people are retards.

• LOL

Shouta

Yep. OG FF Tactics was still more of a direct/simple translation. Vagrant Story was where Alexander O. Smith started to helm the translations (in particular of Matsuno's games). WotL was, afaik, helmed by Joe Reeder. Both are into more "flowery" prose akin to Shakespeare. Which I also am into.

Some people hate it. But these people are retards.

That OG translation was enough to get the point but man, you could definitely tell it was done by someone that didn't have time, skill or, resources to get out the best work they could put out.

I will admit I am a little fond of Hokuten Knights though.

Hudo

I will admit I am a little fond of Hokuten Knights though.
Yeah... that's also something they maybe should keep for FF Tactics Reborn. Maybe being able to switch between both translations or so (unlikely but who knows).

• Thoughtful

evanft

About the demo, saw this thread on Twitter on the English localization for UO.
There's some fowl play here, like how one characters dialogue is turned into bird puns.

So someone will almost certainly develop a translation patch for the Switch version, and that will be the best way to play the game. Awesome.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've heard of this game, but never saw any videos on it until today. This looks awesome. Definitely buying, but really bummed by the lack of PC version as I want to play this on Deck. Guess I could do the PS5 version and stream via Chiaki. Don't know yet.

Labadal

The problem with the localization, from what I have gleamed is that some early scenes read differently in English.

Alain ask Josef: Why are you just standing there?
While in the Japanese version, he tells Josef to protect his mother. In English, he comes off as bratty. In Japanese, it seems he is more considerate.

There is also an exchange between the quenn and whatshisface, where it is implied that they know each other from before, but this is not carried over in the translation.

Things like these can harm character development, and make future actions feel weird.

Sega traditionally loves to send their small games out to die in front of really big game releases by other companies.

FFVII Rebirth -> Unicorn Overlord isn't even the worst offender. They released some Sonic game 2 days before Super Mario Bros. Wonder last year and it flopped and I can't fucking imagine why. No one even knows a Sonic game came out, I didn't know until someone mentioned it randomly in another thread about Wonder.

Being Vanillaware though, word will get around it's good and it will get some random The Game Awards nomination and then it will start selling. That's what happened to 13 Sentinels, it sold poorly at launch and then it got nominated out of nowhere at TGA that year which got it a lot of attention and then it started selling nearly a year later. 13S would eventually go on to pass a million sold and become the best selling Vanillaware game.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Played the first hour and I like it. I’ll play more soon but so far I’m still at the tutorial I guess.

It feels like I’m playing a mix of Growlanser, FF12 and Ogre Battle.

Wew, I've cleared the demo on both PS5 and Switch now just to see and I can confidently say the Switch version is a great experience and other than being in 1080p instead of 4K it is identical to the PS5 version. There are no load times on Switch except for a very short load when you being a new game.

I have the PS5 version on preorder but if you prefer playing it portable, the Switch version of this game is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom