• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unconfirmed: White House turned off audio recording of Trump-Putin call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

if they're discussing anything related to compromise, settlement, resolution, etc. that shit should be treated as confidential and def not recorded

fuck just out of a sign of respect given you're talking to another leader of a country, don't record him

There is some kind of presidential preservation act where EVERYTHING is recorded even if not made public, if i am not mistake .

WorldStar

Banned
Well at least I can find solace in the fact that our president apparently agrees with me.

Life will go on if GAF doesn't.

Got

Banned
Oddly, it sounds like you're trying to inject some legalese into your logic here. As an attorney, if that is the case, I can assure you that you have no idea what you're talking about.

like that matters to ignorant trumpsters, lol! take your facts and get them outta here. he's got feelings and shit

Zaph

Putin has to consent to being recorded. If a world leader refuses to speak on a recorded line, you shouldn't shut down the conversation. You just don't record the damn call.

You're literally making up diplomatic protocol. Recording digital communication is commonplace.

There is a reason leaders meet in person behind closed doors when there's sensitive matters to discuss - those state visits aren't just for fun.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Worldstar makes sense.

It's like when a customer calls into a call centre.

Only in this case Putin is the customer, and Trump is selling America.

.JayZii

Banned
Putin has to consent to being recorded. If a world leader refuses to speak on a recorded line, you shouldn't shut down the conversation. You just don't record the damn call.
Stop pretending you know what the fuck you're talking about. This isn't Calvinball.

rjinaz

Well at least I can find solace in the fact that our president apparently agrees with me.

oh you! I do appreciate you at least owning up to agreeing with Trump on things. It's refreshing around here. Look I think Trump is a horrible human being and I think he is in cahoots with Russia one way or another. If you don't, we'll have to disagree. This conversation should have been recorded because Americans have a right to know.

I get that you VOTED for Donald Trump, but you need to stop with your ridiculous defenses of him.

EDIT:

Weren't you saying last time how you weren't actually happy with Trump? Sure seems like you are quite happy to defend him.......

Pbae

This guy right here must have saw an episode of Law & Order and thinks he's a fucking legal scholar.

It's recorded for transparency, national security, and it's a fucking law (which he's consistently breaking using an unsecure android device to tweet).

Even for trolling this is such a disappointment.

Why the fuck would it be recorded in the first place?

Why the fuck would the Secretary of State have a private e-mail server to conduct business and share classified information?

To circumvent public oversight and the Freedom of Information Act. It's all about keeping the press and more importantly the public out of the loop of what their government is doing. Again, a precedent started by Bush and expanded upon by the previous administration.

Dopus

Banned

Is there anything you disagree with when it comes to Trump's beliefs? Or do you perfectly align with everything he says?

Sylas

if they're discussing anything related to compromise, settlement, resolution, etc. that shit should be treated as confidential and def not recorded

fuck just out of a sign of respect given you're talking to another leader of a country, don't record him
If it's to do with matters of important business it should be recorded several times over.

Not necessarily for transparency (though that's nice and important for historical reasons) but also so the advisors can go back and listen to the recordings so they can give good, meaningful input on what happened. Otherwise the entire cabinet is operating on a system of "he said, she said" and boy oh boy the only thing that would suck more than a war started because of outright offensive statements would be a war started because someone misinterpreted a comment and there were no tapes to go back to for review.

Have you never heard about recording a lecture so you can go back and take additional notes to better understand a subject?

I don't get what's so hard about this.

boiled goose

good with gravy

umm. We don't have a King in the US. It's a government of the people. Even the president needs oversight. Not always direct public oversight, but oversight.

Gotta love it.

The phone calls between Trump & Mexico's leader and Trump & Australia's leader were recorded. He let those details out to the public because he wanted everyone to know he yelled at them about WALLS and REFUGEES.

But, but, but... not Vlad the Impaler. Oh no. Gotta keep that on the down-low. Can't let people know Putin was giving him a list of demands to reciprocate his election interference.

rjinaz

Why the fuck would the Secretary of State have a private e-mail server to conduct business and share classified information?

To circumvent public oversight and the Freedom of Information Act. It's all about keeping the press and more importantly the public out of the loop of what their government is doing. Again, a precedent started by Bush and expanded upon by the previous administration.

How did you make this topic "but Hillary though"

You sir are a master of both sides. Congratulations.

LOL what? the president isn't a fucking king, they're a public servant. Wow are you batting on the wrong field

Caja 117

[
But while the Kremlin produced a detailed 10-paragraph readout of the call, the White House released only a vague one-paragraph statement saying that Trump received a “congratulatory call from Russian President Vladimir Putin.”

This is just too funny, I imagine how it went "Donnie boy I promise I wont record you if you dont record me"

And Isnt it funny how HC delete her emails and a lot of people were asking for her imprisonment...., and here we are, now people defending the President of the USA turning off a recording that is usually on in this type of conversation?

majik13

I believe there is a specific law, cant remember the name, that outlines that these conversations legally must be recorded.

Caja 117

Because foreigners aren't subject to the constitution but they are subject to anti-wiretapping laws of course.
This is not wireapping tough. once you sustain a conversation with specific number you are subject on the rules of that phone number, if that number happens to record voice, you dont have legal standing to do anything about this.

I still think it's weird that people are assuming that speculation from an anti-Trump right-wing think tank amounts to evidence that this actually happened.

Although I guess it makes sense given that everyone's reaction here seems to be more focused on trying to out-outrage each other over worldstar's trolling.

Here's your shining beacon of Republican "accountability", ladies and gentlemen.

NekoFever

Guys, I found video footage.

tumblr_lkqyqyNAmX1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

It's kind of sad how many people are incorrectly referring to Nixon out of this since he recorded everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_White_House_tapes#The_18.C2.BD_minute_gap

I'm still waiting for a leaked recording of one of Trump's calls (like the one with the Australian PM) that shows the world what an incompetent, belligerent idiot Trump is.

LoveCake

This is going to end up running for years like Nixons 18 Minute Gap.

Wouldn't this be grounds for an investigation, illegal action I thought there were laws that ensured everything was archived?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom