• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 184 |OT| - Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

No I don't.

I never said she could beat a top 10 male 135. She cant no way in fuck.

I stand buy theres some low level scrubs that she could probably sub in the UFC. 100%.

I mean have any of you guys been watching any of these fight pass / international cards and not just PPVs?

There is fucking ground game on display equal to my local gym I go to.

Ronda would sub out every single male fighter from TUF China.

You have to be trolling at this point. TUF China had FW's and WW's. You seriously believe Ronda would defeat a fucking UFC Welterweight?

You've been taking too many hits at your local McDojo.

Pimpwerx

No I don't.

I never said she could beat a top 10 male 135. She cant no way in fuck.

I stand buy theres some low level scrubs that she could probably sub in the UFC. 100%.

I mean have any of you guys been watching any of these fight pass / international cards and not just PPVs?

There is fucking ground game on display equal to my local gym I go to.

Ronda would sub out every single male fighter from TUF China.
Sure. Ronda would take the fight to the ground early in the first, after getting ktfo. The fight would end in the stand-up, even against a pillow fisted fighter. I think Scoot said it best. Even the worst ufc can is still one of the 25 best men in the world at his weight class. That gulf is huge. Now, I'd love to see her tap a gauntlet of guys at a local tough man competition. PEACE.

All 1st round wins except for 1. Last two fights were less than 20 seconds. 7 of 11 fights ended in under 1 minute.

16684956865_fe94d202a3_c.jpg

IKizzLE

I would bet on Ronda against any man at 135. Easily. I think the only thing that can beat her is father time.
Sigh, people just don't understand the difference between men and women combat sports. Like honestly, mighty mouse would terrorize her even with a 10 lb disadvantage.

Sigh, people just don't understand the difference between men and women combat sports. Like honestly, mighty mouse would terrorize her even with a 10 lb disadvantage.
Yeah but that's because she would never touch him. He's an insanely fast little guy. I would never call him little to his face. I will give it this caveat, I think she can beat any guy at 135 if she can get to them and take them down. I just don't see why she couldn't win. I don't think she wins standing up. I only say this concerning rousey. It doesn't matter though that fight wont happen. None of those guys have a reason to take that fight unless there is a monstrous paycheck and Dana doesn't like to pay his guys.

Yeah but that's because she would never touch him. He's an insanely fast little guy. I would never call him little to his face. I will give it this caveat, I think she can beat any guy at 135 if she can get to them and take them down. I just don't see why she couldn't win. I don't think she wins standing up. I only say this concerning rousey. It doesn't matter though that fight wont happen. None of those guys have a reason to take that fight unless there is a monstrous paycheck and Dana doesn't like to pay his guys.

Jon Fitch would be the reigning UFC champion if he could just "get to them and take them down". It's not that easy.

She is very likely not going to be able to take down a man her size, certainly not one good enough to be in the UFC. A takedown is a very difficult thing to get against a competent opponent.
We can disagree. I think she is just as capable as any other guy at that weight of getting a takedown.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Do some people here really think that seeing a guy like Marcus Brimage standing over the bloody and broken body of Ronda Rousey live on Fox or a PPV would do anything positive for the sport?

The idea of asking a woman to fight a man in an athletic competition is fundamentally insane from both a moral and financial viewpoint. Thankfully Dana isn't that much of an idiot to entertain this notion and we have athletic commissions that would laugh it out of town regardless.

Do some people here really think that seeing a guy like Marcus Brimage standing over the bloody and broken body of Ronda Rousey live on Fox or a PPV would do anything positive for the sport?

The idea of asking a woman to fight a man in an athletic competition is fundamentally insane from both a moral and financial viewpoint. Thankfully Dana isn't that much of an idiot to entertain this notion and we have athletic commissions that would laugh it out of town regardless.
It would be the biggest PPV in UFC history.

Ronda vs men is just the new benchmark for how big and dominant of a star she has become.

Somebody should do an edit of Cat saying "Watch this" at the weigh ins - 12 sec fight - "I...I... Fuck".

You have to be trolling at this point. TUF China had FW's and WW's. You seriously believe Ronda would defeat a fucking UFC Welterweight?

You've been taking too many hits at your local McDojo.

You have to be trolling

Welterweight no. Featherweight from TUF China? Probably.

They barely have white belt level jitz and awful wrestling.

I mean those fighters were not even near top 100 in the weight class

Ronda is absolutely incredible, I doubt we'll ever see a more dominant champion in any weight class, ever. I've been smiling all day, a genuinely magnificent creature.

I like before the fight I think it was Mike Goldberg who said someone close to Rousey claimed the fight was going to be over in under a minute, insane.

Ronda is absolutely incredible, I doubt we'll ever see a more dominant champion in any weight class, ever. I've been smiling all day, a genuinely magnificent creature.

I like before the fight I think it was Mike Goldberg who said someone close to Rousey claimed the fight was going to be over in under a minute, insane.

She's not even as dominant as Jon Jones

She is very likely not going to be able to take down a man her size, certainly not one good enough to be in the UFC. A takedown is a very difficult thing to get against a competent opponent.

Judo Olympist. She's been training with men her size or bigger all her life, it's foolish to think she wouldn't be able to get a judo throw, be it a trip or sweep against a opponent of her size in the UFC. Also, there are some really bad fighters in the UFC that would make fighters in other organisations seem like champions. UFC doesn't just have top of the cream fighters.

Do you possibly think that she only trains with women while sparring?
She's not even as dominant as Jon Jones

..What? She has shown herself way more dominant than Jones in her weightclass. Mind you it's because her category has also lesser quality fighters, but nonetheless, in her showings, she's been the most dominant champion in the UFC hands down.

Judo Olympist. She's been training with men her size or bigger all her life, it's foolish to think she wouldn't be able to get a judo throw, be it a trip or sweep against a opponent of her size in the UFC. Also, there are some really bad fighters in the UFC that would make fighters in other organisations seem like champions. UFC doesn't just have top of the cream fighters.

Do you possibly think that she only trains with women while sparring?

..What? She has shown herself way more dominant than Jones in her weightclass. Mind you it's because her category has also lesser quality fighters, but nonetheless, in her showings, she's been the most dominant champion in the UFC hands down.

Judo is not MMA. Neither is straight grappling. When she's training Judo with those men they aren't trying to bash her face in while she goes in for grapples or throws.

Some of you all are WAY WAY WAY overselling the scrubs in the UFC

There is regional level talent at this point in every weight class

Ronda couldn't hang with the elite of any of the men in any weight class. She would get cold clock KOd.

There are however complete donks that are in the UFC right now whose only purpose is to fill holes for international cards that she would put on their ass and sub out in less than 5 minutes. Fact.

Judo is not MMA. Neither is straight grappling. When she's training Judo with those men they aren't trying to bash her face in while she goes in for grapples or throws.

It's like you really think she isn't capable of going into close range and clinch like so many other fighters. She's a judo Olympist which also trains in MMA while being a dominant champion. She is not simply a Judo Olympist, she's also been doing sparring while doing MMA, you know. The fact that she's been practicing Judo all her life with men and women all her size or bigger just makes it so she was already accustomed to it.

I've personally trained with women, and I'm seriously disapointed that someone who would think himself knowledgable of combat sports, would even think to demonstrate ignorance of this magnitude in saying that she wouldn't stand a chance to get a takedown (which she is best known for) against a man her size.

Oscar

You have to be trolling

Welterweight no. Featherweight from TUF China? Probably.

They barely have white belt level jitz and awful wrestling.

I mean those fighters were not even near top 100 in the weight class

I'm withdrawing from this ridiculous argument. Those "terrible" fighters from TUF China were selected from a pool of 150+ applicants. Do you know how populated China is? You're criminally underselling them because they do not meet your keyboard warrior standards of dominant skill. Are you aware that many cut 20+ lbs to make the weight class? They do not walk around at 135lbs.

There is a reason why this bout will never happen, it will make sense to you silly bastards some day.

BadAss2961

When someone is as dominant as Ronda has been her entire career while also still improving, betting against her with any opponent would be foolish. Cyborg is no exception.
You could just as easily say that betting against Cyborg would be foolish.

A lot of fans have only been watching Womens MMA since UFC took them in, and are unaware of just how vicious Cyborg is. She's been dominant way before Ronda came along. Ronda's just the one in the spotlight.

Decent male college players (meaning guys who are not even pro) can beat the very best women's tennis players, recreational league male basketball players can beat elite college women's team, booys can beat elite women in soccer, etc etc

Why does anyone think MMA would be any different?

Peru

Look up when professional female athletes play against men. The women's Olympic soccer team got destroyed by an under 17 boys team. In fighting the difference would be even more prominent.

Not really a great example when 15 year old players are professionals already. There are several sports where top female athletes could compete against top male athletes, and some where they do already. Not ones where explosive speed are crucial though (like football), or sheer muscle power.

For a team sport where it would be interesting to see the theoretical reality of an equally large female talent pool you could name baseball--- already a few women have played pro baseball on male teams and as we saw at last year's little league in pitching they can be among top talents. Now almost no girls play baseball with a sight to full-time career so it's impossible to judge on the current talent, but if a few can make it to the pro lower leagues with such a small pool, how many pitchers could make it with a culture for training equal to male baseball players?

A similar ratio comes up with some other sports where women are professional athletes alongside men, like car racing. Some have had success, won top level races, but there are just not enough younger girls training with the goal of a pro career to really see the potential, to see if we could get nearer an even split. But it's growing, and there are women winner lower racing leagues now.

In archery, for example, where there's little reason to split the sexes, last olympics the women's team outscored the men's, because in core markets like Korea there's an equally strong youth sports culture for it. The easiest example is of course the unisex playing field of equestrian sports, where girls have a long strong youth athlete tradition and women frequently win the big events. Other minor sports are unisex with dominant female athletes - sled dog racing comes to mind since there are several big races going on now.

In conclusion there are many and various examples and they're bound to increase. Of course for several sports it's not a realistic scenario and never will be, but there are many already out there and you come off ignorant denying this by simply cherry picking examples where it's not going to happen. (I have no interest in UFC or comment to add on martial arts)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
In conclusion there are many and various examples and they're bound to increase. Of course for several sports it's not a realistic scenario and never will be, but there are many already out there and you come off ignorant denying this by simply cherry picking examples where it's not going to happen. (I have no interest in UFC or comment to add on martial arts)
Well someone is certainly cherry-picking examples. Your post is based on pedantically disproving one sentence of alr1ght's post ("look up when professional female athletes play against men") whilst ignoring the substantive part of it ("in fighting the difference would be even more prominent"). Your examples are the minority. Across a range of sports there are consistent performance gaps between men and women; in speed events the women's records top out at around 90% of the men's, in strength sports they're closer to 80%. If you look at the examples you gave, you'll see that they have something in common in that they're all sports where there are important external limits on the athlete's performance which can level the playing field between men and women: the set distance to the target, the speed and handling of the vehicle, the responsiveness and capacity of the animal.

You do know that the the entire reason MMA in it's current form even exists today is because of a BJJ practitioner who destroyed literally everyone with nothing but grappling right?? All of those dudes were bigger and stronger than he was, and there were no rules or conditions stopping them from trying to "bash his face in" either. The people here so adamant that Ronda stands no chance at all against some low level fighter at the level that will inevitably get thrown to someone like CM Punk because "She's a WOMAN!!11111!" are fucking delusional, Rousey would amputate a male or female fighter of that level just as easily as she has with the last however many people have been thrown at her.

Rur0ni

You do know that the the entire reason MMA in it's current form even exists today is because of a BJJ practitioner who destroyed literally everyone with nothing but grappling right?? All of those dudes were bigger and stronger than he was, and there were no rules or conditions stopping them from trying to "bash his face in" either. The people here so adamant that Ronda stands no chance at all against some low level fighter at the level that will inevitably get thrown to someone like CM Punk because "She's a WOMAN!!11111!" are fucking delusional, Rousey would amputate a male or female fighter of that level just as easily as she has with the last however many people have been thrown at her.
You do know, don't you Ninja Scooter? (lol)

Gracie came back to see what current MMA is like, and got crushed. It's not even the same sport anymore. This isn't open weight.

Norml

You do know, don't you Ninja Scooter? (lol)

Gracie came back to see what current MMA is like, and got crushed. It's not even the same sport anymore. This isn't open weight.

To be fair, Gracie was an old man by then and Hughes was in his prime.

VASPER

Banned

You do know that the sport has changed alot right? Back then no one knew what to do on the ground, now a days anybody worth a damn has plenty of ground experience. Now the thing to note is Ronda is a pure beast and she knows her strengths and plays to them. I think she has a great chance winning a fight against a fellow 135er but i still beat money on any top 135ers over her any day.

I'm withdrawing from this ridiculous argument. Those "terrible" fighters from TUF China were selected from a pool of 150+ applicants. Do you know how populated China is? You're criminally underselling them because they do not meet your keyboard warrior standards of dominant skill. Are you aware that many cut 20+ lbs to make the weight class? They do not walk around at 135lbs.

There is a reason why this bout will never happen, it will make sense to you silly bastards some day.

Did you honestly just use China's population as a counter argument for the skill set of the population?

How many top level MMA fighters is there from China in either UFC, Bellator, or WSOF? Hell even regional shows like BAMMA or KOTC?

Zero. None. Zilch.

You're average donk at any credible US based gym could obliterate China's best fighter within 1 or 2 rounds. Thinking Rousey wouldn't defeat every single featherweight on TUF China is laughable

The US Women's National Team (Soccer) has actually lost to U15 rec boys teams in the past.

Genetics is a hell of a thing.

The sport where the gender barrier will be broken is going to be the one where competitors punch each other in the face, and is almost entirely dependent on things like speed, strength and reflexes. Not tennis, or basketball, or soccer, but MMA. Makes perfect sense.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Did you honestly just use China's population as a counter argument for the skill set of the population?

How many top level MMA fighters is there from China in either UFC, Bellator, or WSOF? Hell even regional shows like BAMMA or KOTC?

Zero. None. Zilch.

You're average donk at any credible US based gym could obliterate China's best fighter within 1 or 2 rounds. Thinking Rousey wouldn't defeat every single featherweight on TUF China is laughable
No. There are Chinese fighters who have wins in the UFC against US opponents. They may not even crack the top 50 in their weight classes but you're totally off base here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom